Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

As usual, this board has gone off the rails because of a slump. The usual dismissals of Koivu's merits and supposed lack of royal jelly, the usual moaning about our abysmal lack of character, attacks on Carbo, etc..

It may be time to make a move given that the team *has* been somewhat consistently inconsistent despite its excellent record. We already know that Bob is pursuing another defenceman, so he agrees. But blowing this team up because of a few losses in January? Give me a break.

By the way, it is not unreasonable to expect injured players to take a few games to get their timing and legs back. Nor is it unreasonable that guys who have been playing over their heads during the injuries (Gorges, Lats, Laps) have a let down. This is an awkward time for the team game. Stay cool.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's absurd to think that Koivu's return from injury totally derailed the team. The losing streak began before he came back, albeit it was one game. Looking back, he got hurt in Tampa, but that somehow failed to spark the team to victory in that game, and they lost the next 2 as well. He was in the lineup for a 5 game winning streak in October. Hell, Detroit was bad for a stretch last season.

Sometimes winning or losing streaks happen, and it's not because of any one player. This is what I mean by overemphasing the captain. There's a long list of guys who haven't played well in this stretch. If there is a business decision made to let Koivu go in the off-season, so be it, but I don't think it will be done because somebody is bored with him.

I conceded in my post that the team is perfectly capable of playing well with Koivu in the lineup - and that we should be out of this slump in no time - so a couple of your arguments are irrelevant.

It isn't absurd to think that Koivu's return caused the slump. It would be had I been basing my argument on poor play, but I'm speaking of the "feel" that he brings. Plenty of the blame has to go to the rest of the team for playing poorly and especially for giving up when they fall behind. But - Koivu seems to be right in the middle of it all.

Anyway, I only brought this topic here because I was mentioning Lecavalier. There's no use talking about Koivu in the Rumour thread, not with the same conversation going on in another thread.

I conceded in my post that the team is perfectly capable of playing well with Koivu in the lineup - and that we should be out of this slump in no time - so a couple of your arguments are irrelevant.

It isn't absurd to think that Koivu's return caused the slump. It would be had I been basing my argument on poor play, but I'm speaking of the "feel" that he brings. Plenty of the blame has to go to the rest of the team for playing poorly and especially for giving up when they fall behind. But - Koivu seems to be right in the middle of it all.

Anyway, I only brought this topic here because I was mentioning Lecavalier. There's no use talking about Koivu in the Rumour thread, not with the same conversation going on in another thread.

I have to agree with BTH. Coach Carbo is so entrenched in playing the supposed stars even after injury that the young guys are an after thought. For Montreal to go forward, they must go forward with the youth infusion that started when Bob Gainey signed on to the team.

I absolutely adore Koivu not only as a habs, but as a human being. He is a very good player but not a top line centre. Montreal must address this lack of top centre or at least another top 4 Defenseman if they are to move forward. To resign Lang, Kovalev or Koivu is just another sideways move handicapping Montreals salary cap. Time to move on as Montreal was a BETTER team with Higgins and Koivu out of the lineup. (Previously INJURED Players are not in game shape and make a team step backwards until they are back in said game shape)

The Vancouver Canucks played really well with Luongo out of the lineup and while waiting for Sundin to arrive. The minute both players were (re)inserted in their lineup, they went something like 1-9. It doesn't follow that Luongo is a bad goalie (or that Sundin is a bad C, although he's been laughably bad since arriving).

Why am I saying this? Because something analogous may be going on with Koivu (and Price). To say that we were a 'better team' without him is to overlook the possibility that certain players were playing over their heads to compensate for the injuries. Laps, Lats and Gorges had already begun to cool off before the captain returned. It doesn't follow that if we lose Koivu that (say) Lapierre will suddenly start pumping in tons of goals again or that Gorges will recover his form. I think waaaay too much is being made out of something that can be part of the normal dynamics of teams that have a lot of players returning from injury. Get back to me in 3-4 games, when we can start to have a much fairer gauge of how this team is shaping up going into the stretch.

Kaberle is out for 4 weeks, hand injury.

...and Lang's career might be over. He tore his Achilles tendon. Already before this injury, Lang wasn't the fastest guy out there, I wonder if he'll be able to make it in the NHl when he comes back and is even slower than he is now?

I don't expect to see Lang back this year...its soo unfortunate for him , he was doing really well.

I don't know if this has been brought up before now but with all the pointing fingers and the false blaming of the coach why not call Murray and ask about Spezza?

He would fill a huge void ala Lecavalier (I know a bit less so, but still a big C with good production)

Maybe they would be warm to the thought.

I don't know if this has been brought up before now but with all the pointing fingers and the false blaming of the coach why not call Murray and ask about Spezza?

He would fill a huge void ala Lecavalier (I know a bit less so, but still a big C with good production)

First, I doubt Ottawa trades Spez to Montreal because of the divisional proximity. Second, have you seen Spez play? You know how maddening Kovy is? Spez will be the single cause of every single Habs fan going bald. All the talent in the world, no brains.

Who knows how Kaberle's NTC works come summer... I know there is a trading window for the Leafs where T-Kabs can be traded since the Leafs will have missed the playoffs the past 3 years... so the whole get Kaberle and flip him to Tampa would be possible in the offseason... if that trading window still exists for Montreal. Very complicated scenario.

If Kaberle agrees to go to Tampa, hey that's fantastic. But 3 way trades are so rare and rumors about them NEVER pan out. My feeling is that if Montreal is targeting Kaberle, they're looking at how he'd be as a Canadien, not as a Lightning. Bob is probably casting a big net rather than like in the past couple years where he concentrated on only one or two guys... this year he's probably looking at several possibilities.

Le CH intéressé à Brad Richards? = CKAC

Montreal Canadiens interested in Brad Richards???

CKAC French Link

English

(Corus Sports) - Depending on what CKAC Sports has learned, the Canadian would have an interest in acquiring forward Brad Richards and defenseman Matt Niskanen of the Dallas Stars.

First, I doubt Ottawa trades Spez to Montreal because of the divisional proximity. Second, have you seen Spez play? You know how maddening Kovy is? Spez will be the single cause of every single Habs fan going bald. All the talent in the world, no brains.

Colin is absolutely right. Spezza has put up impressive numbers over the past few years...that is true, but let us not forget that he played most of his minutes with alfredsson and Heatly. We have nobody in Montreal that can compare to those 2 players.

Also, Spezza is just as frustrating to watch play on most nights as kovy can be!

Le CH intéressé à Brad Richards? = CKAC

Montreal Canadiens interested in Brad Richards???

CKAC French Link

English

No mention of what would be sent the other way...Also, the fact that this rumour was started by Michel Villeneuve, makes me believe that it might just be a ploy to increase the ratings of his afternoon show!

I really thought lang was breath of fresh air always a big smile and a devil may care attitude. I will be sad to see him hang em up. But this is probably the end for him.

Part of why I loved Lang is because of that smile. It's so sad to watch him and Gorges being helped off the ice.

We'll probably want someone who plays with more character than Spezza does. What makes Vinny a good option is that he can come in and become our leader. Spezza will just be another one of the pack with Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu.

With that contract i wouldnt want richards, that a huge hit for a player of his stature. Hes a good player but not worth the money and niskanen? i have heard some good things about him but he is pretty young, i dont think he is an upgrade.

This might sound like a weird sistuation, and im still on the fence. If we want to go for it, i think Fischer out of ottawa might be an option. Hes having a bad year but he was the real reason ottawa made it so far in the playoffs, he is a clutch player. He could be had very easily due to his play and his large salary. What were looking for is grit, determination, speed, a centre, decent faceoofs, he brings that. I dont like th salary but its like bringing in a ryan smyth, the tye of player you need to win with. add Kuba to the deal and we could be looking to give them something decent. They need depth and we have lots of that. just a thought

Part of why I loved Lang is because of that smile. It's so sad to watch him and Gorges being helped off the ice.

We'll probably want someone who plays with more character than Spezza does. What makes Vinny a good option is that he can come in and become our leader. Spezza will just be another one of the pack with Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu.

And everyone is basing these thoughts on what exactly?

He has never had the opportunity to do anything more then fill ice time in Ottawa, so none of these comments take much into consideration.

And everyone is basing these thoughts on what exactly?

He has never had the opportunity to do anything more then fill ice time in Ottawa, so none of these comments take much into consideration.

Well, he does make the Michelin Man look tough.

Spezza is a huge talent, but he's had question marks all along about his commitment (remember when Ottawa kept sending him down to the minors because of his weak defensive game?). A quintessential soft player, it seems - although he's still young and may grow into his talent. Basically, the asking price for him is likely to be too high given that we're not an expansion team looking to get good, we want to win the Cup. Nothing indicates that he's a guy who can bring the kind of determination and leadership that can justify paying that salary, long-term, on a team that wants to win, not just be good.

Richards is another story. He at least has shown that he is capable of elevating his game in the playoffs, and he is a useful and productive centre. Still, that contract is a lot to swallow. A better risk than Spezza, though, IMHO, but it's imperative that Bob not overpay. To some degree we'd be doing Dallas a favour given that contract. Still, Richards in the CH, I wouldn't complain - but say goodbye to Kovalev (either as part of the deal, or as a UFA this summer).

Richards is another story. He at least has shown that he is capable of elevating his game in the playoffs, and he is a useful and productive centre. Still, that contract is a lot to swallow. A better risk than Spezza, though, IMHO, but it's imperative that Bob not overpay. To some degree we'd be doing Dallas a favour given that contract. Still, Richards in the CH, I wouldn't complain - but say goodbye to Kovalev (either as part of the deal, or as a UFA this summer).

If the deal is as has been rumored, and it also involves us acquiring Matt Niskanen, I think that would indicate their appreciation for taking on the Richards contract. A 21 year old right handed d-man with close to 150 NHL games played (including playoffs)... plus he's from Minnesota! :lol:

Richards is becoming more attractive... there's only 2 years left on his current bloated deal. With the lack of commitments for the team next year, getting a solid top line centre even if it does cost $7.8m would be a nice addition. And they need wingers in Dallas... we can work something out I'm sure if they're looking at that as a package to move.

Honestly, as much as I loved Richards (hey, lead my hometown Oceanic to the Memorial Cup), I dont want him and his huge contract. I'm tired of these small skilled players.

I want an elite big tough C that can drop the gloves.

Give me Vinny or give me death.