Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Spezza is a huge talent, but he's had question marks all along about his commitment (remember when Ottawa kept sending him down to the minors because of his weak defensive game?). A quintessential soft player, it seems - although he's still young and may grow into his talent. Basically, the asking price for him is likely to be too high given that we're not an expansion team looking to get good, we want to win the Cup. Nothing indicates that he's a guy who can bring the kind of determination and leadership that can justify paying that salary, long-term, on a team that wants to win, not just be good.

Richards is another story. He at least has shown that he is capable of elevating his game in the playoffs, and he is a useful and productive centre. Still, that contract is a lot to swallow. A better risk than Spezza, though, IMHO, but it's imperative that Bob not overpay. To some degree we'd be doing Dallas a favour given that contract. Still, Richards in the CH, I wouldn't complain - but say goodbye to Kovalev (either as part of the deal, or as a UFA this summer).

I remember the real reasons for that, and it had nothing to do with his defensive game. At that time the players were playing for free (paycheques weren't being cashed) and they kept sending Spezza down so he didn't make his bonuses or full contract. They were being cheap to the point of risking his development.

Not to just pick on your post here CC, but you touched on it as well, what has Richards done since his one amazing season and playoffs? He is far less cconsistent then Spezza and about as expensive (and as tough too) Why does Richards get all this undeserving love?

Well, he does make the Michelin Man look tough.

He isn't tough I'll more than agree to that, but who is?

So the Habs have to get a big high scoring leader who is tough with a decent contract...who is for some reason being shopped for a trade right now?

Plus all the Habs fans are sick of waiting for this player (that doesn't exist) and Gainey should have done this years ago rather then have Saku be the number one for so long because he sucks and might actually be the only reason the habs have been more then 14 years without a cup.

Does that just about sum up this entire thread? :wacko:

I thought Leaf fans were bad, geez

I think somebody is offended that most people on these boards think that Spezza is too soft... ;):D

Like I said before, I don't think Spezza is the answer for the Habs... and neither is Richards. Spezza is too soft and Richards makes way too much money for what he can bring.

At this point, I'd rather the Habs try to pick up big boys who have playoff experience like Tkachuk or Guerin...both are 6'3" or taller and both weigh over 220pds. We need some size up front if we want to have any chance of making it past Boston, Phily, Washington or New-Jersey in the playoffs!

On a different note, I heard last night on 110% (Pierre Rinfret) who was saying that apparently Mike Komisarek's deal is done and has been done for a few weeks now. According to him, the reason why they are keeping it "hush-hush" is to not make the other players on the team jealous.

I sure hope Rinfret isn't bullshitting us...cause the longer Bob waits to get Komisarek signed, the greater the chances of him singing elsewhere will be!

How about Colby Armstrong? Apparently he's being shopped by Atlanta. 25 years old, RW, RH shot... RFA at the end of the year. Good forechecker, delivers big (and often borderline) hits, on pace for career high 20 goals this year but more of a 3rd line guy with offence. Good size (6'2") but lanky. He's also a +1 on Atlanta this year.

How about Colby Armstrong? Apparently he's being shopped by Atlanta. 25 years old, RW, RH shot... RFA at the end of the year. Good forechecker, delivers big (and often borderline) hits, on pace for career high 20 goals this year but more of a 3rd line guy with offence. Good size (6'2") but lanky. He's also a +1 on Atlanta this year.

Why is Atlanta shopping this guy?

I remember the real reasons for that, and it had nothing to do with his defensive game. At that time the players were playing for free (paycheques weren't being cashed) and they kept sending Spezza down so he didn't make his bonuses or full contract. They were being cheap to the point of risking his development.

Not to just pick on your post here CC, but you touched on it as well, what has Richards done since his one amazing season and playoffs? He is far less cconsistent then Spezza and about as expensive (and as tough too) Why does Richards get all this undeserving love?

Yes, I remember that Ottawa claptrap too. Still, I can't see Spezza being *the man* on a Cup-winning team, at least not at this stage in his career. The difference with Richards is that Richards has indeed been that very 'man;' and that Cup run wasn't wildly aberrant, it was a logical extension of his career up to that point. Having said that, I grant that he's not big or physical, and that his +/- has been disturbingly awful-to-mediocre since the Cup run. Conversely, he's at roughly a PPG pace in Dallas (so he remains a consistent offensive producer), has a Conn Smythe, is still young and doesn't represent the long-term commitment Spezza would. I just think Richards would be a better fit than Spezza here, especially given the prevailing sense that our team has a few too many players with 'issues' like those attributed to Spezza (soft, don't have the fire in the belly, not 'leaders' etc.). But, you know, it's not like I have a hate-on for Spezza.

Beyond that, Richards (or Modano) are far more likely to materialize than Spezza, given Bob's contacts in Dallas and the difficulty of trading to divisional rivals within the Conference.

Finally, Spezza will cost more in terms of assets surrendered. Put it all together, that's why I favour Richards over Spezza, as far as these rumours go.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yes, I remember that Ottawa claptrap too. Still, I can't see Spezza being *the man* on a Cup-winning team, at least not at this stage in his career. The difference with Richards is that Richards has indeed been that very 'man;' and that Cup run wasn't wildly aberrant, it was a logical extension of his career up to that point. Having said that, I grant that he's not big or physical, and that his +/- has been disturbingly awful-to-mediocre since the Cup run. Conversely, he's at roughly a PPG pace in Dallas (so he remains a consistent offensive producer), has a Conn Smythe, is still young and doesn't represent the long-term commitment Spezza would. I just think Richards would be a better fit than Spezza here, especially given the prevailing sense that our team has a few too many players with 'issues' like those attributed to Spezza (soft, don't have the fire in the belly, not 'leaders' etc.). But, you know, it's not like I have a hate-on for Spezza.

Beyond that, Richards (or Modano) are far more likely to materialize than Spezza, given Bob's contacts in Dallas and the difficulty of trading to divisional rivals within the Conference.

Finally, Spezza will cost more in terms of assets surrendered. Put it all together, that's why I favour Richards over Spezza, as far as these rumours go.

Ok, but your description of Spezza sounds an awful lot like Richards description before he had a huge playoffs. Don't forget it was supposed to be Lecavalier and St.Louis that led to the cup, and not the afterthought Richards.

My point is, until he is given the opportunity and not handled as the sens have done, Spezza will never get a chance to prove anyone of his critics or fans right or wrong.

Can you translate?

yes

apparently Montreal as inquired about him and niskanen without making any formal offer.

Edited by marky_and_komi

marki has pretty much summed it up!!

The article says that The Dallas Stars have never asked Richards to lift his N-T-C and have no intentions of asking him to lift it!

It also says that the Stars are experiencing an impressive comeback after a disastrous beginning to the season.

Dregger had him on the list of the top 10 guys with regards to trade talk for the deadline. I have no idea why Atlanta would move him. My best guess is that they've got a terrible GM.

:lol:

Why would we need him though? We already have Higgins and nobody's happy with him. I also don't see why we'd want any winger period unless he's a 1st line talent. We should be aiming almost exclusively for centremen and defensemen.

:lol:

Why would we need him though? We already have Higgins and nobody's happy with him. I also don't see why we'd want any winger period unless he's a 1st line talent. We should be aiming almost exclusively for centremen and defensemen.

People were talking about needing grit and passion. That's why I brought it up. I'd much rather have Armstrong than some of the old and fat wingers that have been brought up on here (Guerin, Tkachuk).

I still like what Higgins brings to the table because of his forechecking ability, BTW.

Probably the best analysis of the current situation, with the trade deadline in mind:

http://habsinsideout.com/otherwing/j-t/14857

Basically, Bob already *made* his moves to solidify the team for a Cup run. His three major off-season acquisitions, Lang, Tanguay, and Laraque, have all been destroyed by injuries. Further major moves are likely to compromise the future, which Bob might or might not do, but certainly shouldn't do.

Help, if it comes, will have to come from within: namely the guts of the players we're presently watching.

(One scenario he doesn't discuss is trading Kovalev. I increasingly think this is about the only significant card left in Bob 's hand for this season).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

we have above 5M of caproom (Lang)

and if Tanguay doesn't come back (I doubt it, I hope he's coming soon) we'd have 10.5M

We have guys like Dandy who can be dumped (1.8M)

And we have guys like Higgins or Pleks who aren't doing a lot right now and must surely be worth a lot as trade bait.

AND could be easily be replaced by a newcomer.

I dont want to start the Vinny thing all over again... but e.g. a package including Higgins and Plek for a BIG guy like Vinny, Lang stays on IR (which makes the trade possible to start with) and Tangs and Lats come back soon.

Tanguay Vinny Kovalev

A. Kost Koivu d'Agost

Max Pax Lapierre Latendresse

S. Kost Begin Kosto

I don't dislike Plex and Higgins at all, but face it, they must be the guys who are worth the most and whose departure wouldn't hurt us so much. (e.g. Komi is worth more, but his departure would kill us, while S. Kost isn't worth a lot)

It makes sense to deal for Vinnie, which is why the rumours never go away. The thing that doesn't make any sense is the entire Tampa Organization. If BG can get Vinnie by the deadline, I think he will. On the other hand, I think it also depends on the possibility of BG getting the elite defenseman he wants. Also, I don't think that we have all Lang's cap-space back. The CBA is funny in that regard. Best talk to Brian or read the 'lang lost for season thread".

I disagree with you that Sergei doesn't have much value. I think every GM in the league would love to get their hands on a cheap youngster with a year's experience. I also think that one of the Kostitsyn's will be the next player to have a breakout season (i.e. we expect 50 points, but they score 80. No one will score more than Kovie last year with the way Carbo rolls 4 lines.)

It makes sense to deal for Vinnie, which is why the rumours never go away. The thing that doesn't make any sense is the entire Tampa Organization. If BG can get Vinnie by the deadline, I think he will. On the other hand, I think it also depends on the possibility of BG getting the elite defenseman he wants. Also, I don't think that we have all Lang's cap-space back. The CBA is funny in that regard. Best talk to Brian or read the 'lang lost for season thread".

I disagree with you that Sergei doesn't have much value. I think every GM in the league would love to get their hands on a cheap youngster with a year's experience. I also think that one of the Kostitsyn's will be the next player to have a breakout season (i.e. we expect 50 points, but they score 80. No one will score more than Kovie last year with the way Carbo rolls 4 lines.)

It makes sense to deal for Vinny. It does not make financial sense to deal for Vinnie *before* the deadline. I think he's got to be a summer target.

It makes sense to deal for Vinny. It does not make financial sense to deal for Vinnie *before* the deadline. I think he's got to be a summer target.

Good call. But you know, with his contract, the case for acquiring Lecavalier is not the slam-dunk people seem to think it is. I`m just saying.

Good call. But you know, with his contract, the case for acquiring Lecavalier is not the slam-dunk people seem to think it is. I`m just saying.

I only meant that he couldn't really be a target now because it doesn't make dollars sense. It can only make sense once a UFA or two leaves the club.

Probably the best analysis of the current situation, with the trade deadline in mind:

http://habsinsideout.com/otherwing/j-t/14857

Basically, Bob already *made* his moves to solidify the team for a Cup run. His three major off-season acquisitions, Lang, Tanguay, and Laraque, have all been destroyed by injuries. Further major moves are likely to compromise the future, which Bob might or might not do, but certainly shouldn't do.

Help, if it comes, will have to come from within: namely the guts of the players we're presently watching.

(One scenario he doesn't discuss is trading Kovalev. I increasingly think this is about the only significant card left in Bob 's hand for this season).

Remember the heat you took for proposing a Kovalev deal last season?