Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Send Kovalev & Halak to Washington for Nylander, Fleischman & B. Johnson.

Nylander's NHL career is slowly dying. He's like Koivu, but worse. Fleichman is bleah and Johnson isnt really "proven", or at least I doubt he could put any heat on Price. Johnson stunk everytime he's been given a #1 gig.

Send Kovalev & Halak to Washington for Nylander, Fleischman & B. Johnson.

Wow...can't believe you haven't been flamed yet...allow me...it's brutal.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Fourth Period reported earlier today their source claimed the Canadiens have been scouting the Phoenix Coyotes lately, leading to speculation they're interested in Coyotes defenseman Derek Morris, while there's also talk Olli Jokinen might be available.

i like this rumour better then most i been seeing...

It is an interesting trade idea, however it is a sideways move. The team we have is the team Gainey built and we have to live with this. I am beginning to believe the problem now is mental lapses in the defensive zone which along with injuries is killing the dream.

If Montreal makes a trade it better be for the future.

I am looking forward to a few guys next year not being with the team so as a new influx will help move the team forward. Untill then, go HABS, go Kovalev. (groan)

I'm not sure Koivu or Kovalev have done anything this year to warrant them staying. That is almost 10 million dollars combined and not even 25 goals between the 2 of them.

Pronger would be nice, he would certainly change the toughness factor.

Well said! And I agree.....

I can understand wanting a veteran goalie to backup Price in case we need to fall back on someone in the playoffs whose been there before. I don't, however, understand the desire to have a veteran backup to put pressure on Price. Carey has already been saddled with the pressure of bringing the Habs the Cup in their 100th season and being the team's savior. You can't possibly have any more pressure than that.

Carey has already been saddled with the pressure of bringing the Habs the Cup in their 100th season and being the team's savior. You can't possibly have any more pressure than that.

Sure you can, play for the Leafy losing centre of the universe. Just ask Toskala or Pogge. :lol:

I don't know why a lot of people are picking on Kovalev; he has played fairly well recently.

You win as a team, you lose as a team

Lecavalier has great stats and some leadership, but the Lightning are sinking, so....

based on their play this year, if I had 10M and I had to sign 2 of our forwards UFA, I'd clearly go with Lang and Tanguay.

No resentment against Koivu or Kovalev.

but although Koivu is full of grit, Lang is more "dominant" and better suited with our small team.

Kovalev is too inconsistent. Tanguay is not so consistent, but is still more consistent than kovalev.

Hmmm............This came to me last night (I think it was a dream) I'm surprised no one's posted it (guess it'll be on eK's site soon...)

What's the possibility of a Komi/Higgins [and some /prospects/picks] to NYI for their 1st pick if they win the lottery? Looking at the Isles IMO they need more than just one player (Tavares) to turn things around..

I'm thinking Komi would neen to be resigned for this too happen, when is draft day anyway?

Just wondering, don't think Bob would pull[gamble] this kind of "blockbuster" deal

Edited by kenadian

I don't know why a lot of people are picking on Kovalev; he has played fairly well recently.

Lecavalier has great stats and some leadership, but the Lightning are sinking, so....

Kovalev plays well but cannot finish. When you get paid as one of the top point producers, then he should produce. And Kovalev is not in the same class as Vinny. Two different guys, one leads while the other is more of supporting star class.

The thing I like best about Kovalev is his desire to bring the puck to the net and try to do crafty moves. Unfortunately age has caught up to him and it just dont work the way it used to. Plus he gives the puck away too much. After this year he wont be with the Habs, I hope.

So... bad leadership? Strip the 'C'?

The thing I like best about Kovalev is his desire to bring the puck to the net and try to do crafty moves. Unfortunately age has caught up to him and it just dont work the way it used to. Plus he gives the puck away too much. After this year he wont be with the Habs, I hope.

Yeah, with most guys you talk about losing a step in terms of speed. With Kovalev, he's lost speed in his hands. Moves that he used to get around people with aren't working anymore. That's leading to turnovers and goals for the other team. His hands definitely have lost some magic.

based on their play this year, if I had 10M and I had to sign 2 of our forwards UFA, I'd clearly go with Lang and Tanguay.

No resentment against Koivu or Kovalev.

but although Koivu is full of grit, Lang is more "dominant" and better suited with our small team.

Kovalev is too inconsistent. Tanguay is not so consistent, but is still more consistent than kovalev.

If Lang was still healthy, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But I fear that the type of injury he suffered will end his career, or at least, make him a shadow of himself. I think Tangs can still get better, so I'd sign him and Koivu.

Hmmm............This came to me last night (I think it was a dream) I'm surprised no one's posted it (guess it'll be on eK's site soon...)

What's the possibility of a Komi/Higgins [and some /prospects/picks] to NYI for their 1st pick if they win the lottery? Looking at the Isles IMO they need more than just one player (Tavares) to turn things around..

I'm thinking Komi would neen to be resigned for this too happen, when is draft day anyway?

Just wondering, don't think Bob would pull[gamble] this kind of "blockbuster" deal

The Isles plan on having more than 1 player (Tavares)... they plan on flipping guys like Comrie, Weight and Guerin for picks/prospects, and then they plan to suck in 2009-10 as well and get another high pick. Plus, they plan on Josh Bailey and Kyle Okposo becoming good, as well as developing other players. They aren't in this for a quick fix, and Komi and Higgins sure as hell won't make them better than what Tavares could. They want to build their team the way Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Washington have... highly talented youth, and then complement them with the veterans that make sense. They've barely started their rebuild.

If Bob could make that trade, he would. But he can't, it's a non-starter for the Isles for sure. Komi and Higgins aren't worth nearly that much.

Yeah, with most guys you talk about losing a step in terms of speed. With Kovalev, he's lost speed in his hands. Moves that he used to get around people with aren't working anymore. That's leading to turnovers and goals for the other team. His hands definitely have lost some magic.

He has, and he desperately needs to simplify his game. Should he do so, I think others would follow his lead, and the Habs would be better as a whole. Instead, Kovy continually tries low percentage plays, loses the puck more often than not, and presents the wrong mentality to his younger teammates who look to him as a leader. I love Kovy as a player, and when he's "on", it's bloody amazing. But he's "on" far too little these days, and he has to go back to basics. He's got to make the smart play and uses other assets to create scoring chances. Others will follow.

Pittsburghs Ryan Whitney's name has popped up in Trade rumours latley. Hes signed to a good contract till about 2013 at about $4 to $4.5 Million a year. Much like the rest of the Pittsburgh squad he has struggled this year, while also being hurt.

And with Malkin and Crosby making almost $9 Million each. Staal making another $4.5 Million. Fleury making over $5 Million...they'll eventually have to dump one of the salaries to make room for that winger that they need to play with Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

So maybe Kovalev and some filler (a prospect or draft picks) to Pittsburgh for Whitney. Montreal gets a big defense who hopefully can turn it and play better this year or next around and has a very good contract moving into the future.

Pittsburgh gets an extremely talented winger to play with Malkin and Crosby and probably a prospect or draft picks....to replace some of what they lost in trading for Hossa. Also they get salary cap room if they decide to let Kovalev go in the offseason.

And yes the team definitley needs a veteran goaltending presence to help out Carey Price

I thought Whitney's name was only involved in getting big time names like Bouwmeester or Pronger to Pittsburgh, not because they want to get rid of him... they want to improve.

Staal for a winger is also a likely scenario for them.

kovalev has played well for most of the season. He is in the position of thinking he has to do it all himself, which leads to turnovers etc. like all players he does have off games but everything in the universe is not his fault. we will need him big time in the playoffs

He has, and he desperately needs to simplify his game. Should he do so, I think others would follow his lead, and the Habs would be better as a whole. Instead, Kovy continually tries low percentage plays, loses the puck more often than not, and presents the wrong mentality to his younger teammates who look to him as a leader. I love Kovy as a player, and when he's "on", it's bloody amazing. But he's "on" far too little these days, and he has to go back to basics. He's got to make the smart play and uses other assets to create scoring chances. Others will follow.

That's spot on. I can't help but think his ego has a lot to do with this. if he'd just accept that he can't make those plays anymore, he could still be very effective with his talent and strength trying to play simple. Instead, it's like he has to has to has to prove he can still be a magician... Driving me crazy. I don't hate the guy like some poeple, but I'm glad he won't be here next year...