Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I think he is talking more english speaking habs fans around the globe.

My favourite team in the NFL is San Francisco. Does that make me a fan of the 49ers ??? I watche 0 games in the last 3-4 seasons, maybe 1 or 2 in the last 5-6 seasons.

I don't believe Habs fans all around the globe would match the numbers of french speaking fans here in Quebec.

My favourite team in the NFL is San Francisco. Does that make me a fan of the 49ers ??? I watche 0 games in the last 3-4 seasons, maybe 1 or 2 in the last 5-6 seasons.

I don't believe Habs fans all around the globe would match the numbers of french speaking fans here in Quebec.

That's crazy talk. :P Remember when there were only six teams? There are habs fans in every city. Across the Atlantic there are piles of habs fans. Seriously, I'd be shocked if the French outnumbered the English.

That makes you a casual 49ers fan.

I live in Toronto, I have travelled to Montreal to watch the Habs 15 times, I go to Buffalo once a year to see them play,

I go to Hamilton to watch their affiliate.

Am I a fan? Do I count?

I live in Toronto, I have travelled to Montreal to watch the Habs 15 times, I go to Buffalo once a year to see them play,

Am I a fan? Do I count?

Do you watch other Habs games on TV? Probably. Joe said he's seen zero of their games in 3 or 4 seasons, live or televised. Huge difference.

Am I a fan? Do I count?

You are. How many are like you ??? You guys seriously think there is more than 3 millions of Habs fans oustide of the Québec ??

You are. How many are like you ??? You guys seriously think there is more than 3 millions of Habs fans oustide of the Québec ??

I think you're seriously underestimating the number of Habs fans out there.

Yes.

And about the Niners, most Niners fans haven't watched in 4-5 years. Next year will be more entertaining.

There is no point discussing the semantics of who is a fan or not; your allegiance is sufficient.

I wish the trade listed in TSN was true; but wonder if you offered Komi instead of O'Byrne, would they bite? Maybe take away the draft choice and/or Subban.

I think you're seriously underestimating the number of Habs fans out there.

I guess I do. But like I said, I don't consider myself a Niners fan even if they are my favourite team in the NFL... I might not have the same definiton of a fan than everyone.

they are not a principal $ source and are not really a concern for the high management... sorry :(

Really?

I live in Toronto and have 10-12 jerseys, 10-15 hats, 2-3 hoodies, I travel to Montreal

regularly, my father has accompanied me on these trips, my son has accompanied on those

trips, my son has a one in a soon to be expanding jersey collection, I drop $2-300 on him every time

I hit the Bell Store.

I also know about 20-30 habs fans out my 2-300 acquaintances in Toronto.

Your thinking is old school and is the type of thinking that will cut off significant revenue streams.

In a day and age in which somebody in Moscow can order a customized $2-300 Kovalev jersey off the web,

a $35 hat, a $25 t-shirt and a $100 Carey Price fathead for his wall, all with a click off a button, your attitude can cost

the team a signifigant channel to grow their revenue.

Progressive thinking is how Manchester United, playing in a city of 2.5M became the richest franchise in sports.

Your attitude is close minded. I appreciate that the team means more than just a sports team to the Quebecois,

I appreciate that it is ingrained to the culture, but don't dismiss the importance of millions of fans because they

do not live in the province of Quebec. And there are millions of us outside the city.

Things have changed. When I was 10 years old my only option was watching La Soiree du Hockey or hoping the

CBC affiliate in Peterborough would pick up the habs feed. Now I can watch them on the web, I can order the hockey

package or order RDS. With sites like this and habsinsideout I can follow them through the dailies.

As for the comment about being a Niner fan, who establishes out of the 5M+ Quebec speaking language how much

they put into the Canadiens pocket? Out of those 5M how many can we assume watch the games? RDS only averages

738,000 viewers. The last Canadiens/Sens game on CBC had 1.075M.

I do not know the true numbers, so I will not even attempt to make the statements you are making. They are based on conjecture.

As for whether the Habs would not hire a non french coach, what would Gainey do if Carbo could not pull the Habs from

this tailspin and a year from now Ken Hitchcock is available? Do you think he would be doing the fanbase justice if he

ignored his resume because he did not speak french?

THe same french media gets their pound of flesh out of Carey Price, Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev and none of them speak french.

That same attitude had the Montreal press screaming for the Canadiens to draft Angelo Esposito two seasons ago.

The internet age has changed everything.

Edited by Wamsley01

At last a rumoured trade that makes sense for MTL. However, I fear it wont happen because Lawton would fear being run out of town and the owners fear fan backlash eg loss of ticket sales and corporate sponsorship.

Here's hoping that THN has gotten something right...it hasnt happened for a while :clap:

Hockey News has their trade deadline special out and they have listed

Lecavalier

for

Higgins

O'Byrne

D'Agostini

Subban

and a 1st

If only it was that easy

Gainey would accept that immediately

There's a real difference between a fanatic, a fan, and a casual fan. Quebec has more fanatics... it's closer, it's a way of life, etc. But I'd venture that worldwide there's a few more English speaking fans than French ones. And I'm not talking about casual fans like my mom is of Toronto... she doesn't really care about the games, and often knits instead of watches while wishing we were watching a movie instead. My dad's generation are pretty much all fans of Original Six teams... my dad was originally a Red Wings fan that got made at them and became a Habs fan. There are tons of Habs fans in Saskatchewan... Oilers fans are probably the most numerous, but by no means a majority, and even Oilers and Flames combined might not be a majority. Then it's Toronto and Montreal, and everyone else. Some weirdos like Vancouver, and a lot of people like American teams like Detroit, the Rangers, and Philly. Tough call on the percentages. Manitoba, with no more Jets, are probably more inclined to cheer for Montreal or Toronto than the Alberta teams.

How many Quebec fans still don't cheer for the Habs... ex-Nordique fans? You can't assume everyone in the province cheers for the Habs, either.

maybe you are an exception?

all of the 2000-3000 (wohooo) habs fans on habsworld are exceptions. the "impressive" 2000 of them.

as for hitchcock, Gainey would seriously tell him :

"either you learn french in 5 days, or I hire Bob Hartley"

you guys totally talk through your hats (that's a french expression - parler à travers son chapeau! :P)

you have to live here to know what I'm talking about.

you think it's stubbornness and that it's caused by the french media.

you are partly right about Espo. That's chauvinism and unecessary patriotism.

As far as the coach is concerned... you cannot give me any argument if you do not live here... cause you totally do not know what you are talking about.. We are another planet... I don't know how to explain that.

Ask Tony. Ask Andrew (koivu11 who doesn't put any punctuation in his page long sentences and who uses abreviations like no one else). Ask whoever else who wouldn't care about an English coach because they've been raised in English... and they'd tell you :

an english coach in MTL is suicide from the ownership.

unless he learns french in 5 days. :P

Really?

I live in Toronto and have 10-12 jerseys, 10-15 hats, 2-3 hoodies, I travel to Montreal

regularly, my father has accompanied me on these trips, my son has accompanied on those

trips, my son has a one in a soon to be expanding jersey collection, I drop $2-300 on him every time

I hit the Bell Store.

I also know about 20-30 habs fans out my 2-300 acquaintances in Toronto.

Your thinking is old school and is the type of thinking that will cut off significant revenue streams.

In a day and age in which somebody in Moscow can order a customized $2-300 Kovalev jersey off the web,

a $35 hat, a $25 t-shirt and a $100 Carey Price fathead for his wall, all with a click off a button, your attitude can cost

the team a signifigant channel to grow their revenue.

Progressive thinking is how Manchester United, playing in a city of 2.5M became the richest franchise in sports.

Your attitude is close minded. I appreciate that the team means more than just a sports team to the Quebecois,

I appreciate that it is ingrained to the culture, but don't dismiss the importance of millions of fans because they

do not live in the province of Quebec. And there are millions of us outside the city.

Things have changed. When I was 10 years old my only option was watching La Soiree du Hockey or hoping the

CBC affiliate in Peterborough would pick up the habs feed. Now I can watch them on the web, I can order the hockey

package or order RDS. With sites like this and habsinsideout I can follow them through the dailies.

As for the comment about being a Niner fan, who establishes out of the 5M+ Quebec speaking language how much

they put into the Canadiens pocket? Out of those 5M how many can we assume watch the games? RDS only averages

738,000 viewers. The last Canadiens/Sens game on CBC had 1.075M.

I do not know the true numbers, so I will not even attempt to make the statements you are making. They are based on conjecture.

As for whether the Habs would not hire a non french coach, what would Gainey do if Carbo could not pull the Habs from

this tailspin and a year from now Ken Hitchcock is available? Do you think he would be doing the fanbase justice if he

ignored his resume because he did not speak french?

THe same french media gets their pound of flesh out of Carey Price, Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev and none of them speak french.

That same attitude had the Montreal press screaming for the Canadiens to draft Angelo Esposito two seasons ago.

The internet age has changed everything.

maybe you are an exception?

all of the 2000-3000 (wohooo) habs fans on habsworld are exceptions. the "impressive" 2000 of them.

as for hitchcock, Gainey would seriously tell him :

"either you learn french in 5 days, or I hire Bob Hartley"

you guys totally talk through your hats (that's a french expression - parler à travers son chapeau! :P)

you have to live here to know what I'm talking about.

you think it's stubbornness and that it's caused by the french media.

you are partly right about Espo. That's chauvinism and unecessary patriotism.

As far as the coach is concerned... you cannot give me any argument if you do not live here... cause you totally do not know what you are talking about.. We are another planet... I don't know how to explain that.

Ask Tony. Ask Andrew (koivu11 who doesn't put any punctuation in his page long sentences and who uses abreviations like no one else). Ask whoever else who wouldn't care about an English coach because they've been raised in English... and they'd tell you :

unless he learns french in 5 days. :P

The numbers on Habsworld are unimportant, out of the 20-30 habs fans I know, not one of them comes here.

So I don't know how accurate an assessment that is.

But like Saskhab said, there is no way of knowing how many of the people of Quebec watch games like his mother,

(who is exactly like my mom by the way :)) There is no way of telling how many fans are across the country and their

fantascism either. Like I said, to create an numbers would be conjecture on all our parts.

But a 100 year history spreads alot of roots outside the province, especially with the anglo exports from Montreal after the rise of the Parti Quebecois in the 1970s. Add in the fact that the Canadiens are now exposed to cities in Finland, Belarus, Russia and the Czech Republic, there is no way to find the actual tally.

I understand what you are talking about, but I think that Gainey would seriously consider hiring Hitchcock if he was available.

But the language issue is the reason he handpicked Carbo, and the reason he is not going anywhere.

The numbers on Habsworld are unimportant, out of the 20-30 habs fans I know, not one of them comes here.

But like Saskhab said, there is no way of knowing how many of the people of Quebec watch games like his mother,

(who is exactly like my mom by the way :)) There is no way of telling how many fans are across the country and their

fantascism either. Like I said, to create an numbers would be conjecture on all our parts.

But a 100 year history spreads alot of roots outside the province, especially with the anglo exports from Montreal after the rise of the Parti Quebecois in the 1970s. Add in the fact that the Canadiens are now exposed to cities in Finland, Belarus, Russia and the Czech Republic, there is no way to find the actual tally.

I understand what you are talking about, but I think that Gainey would seriously consider hiring Hitchcock if he was available.

But the language issue is the reason he handpicked Carbo, and the reason he is not going anywhere.

I'd tell you this:

Stockwell Day has more chances to become chef du parti québécois before Hitchcok becomes coach of the habs

UNLESS

Hitchcock suddenly becomes fluent in French.

I'd put it the other way around :

Imagine Réjean Houle and Mario Tremblay respectively GM and Coach of the Maple Leafs.

It's as clownesque an idea as the one of having a non-french speaking coach in MTL. It can be Hitchcock... but he has to be able to speak to the 5.6M non-english fans.

Tell me the big Kostitsyn's fans (edit: in Belarus) will keep cheering for the Habs if they both get traded. Tell me that seriously...

Edited by JoeLassister

I actually fully agree that the head coach has to be able to speak French, at least they do in today's Quebec. The next generation? Well, that could easily be a different matter.

Dick Irvin once was coach of the Habs, after all.

I actually fully agree that the head coach has to be able to speak French, at least they do in today's Quebec. The next generation? Well, that could easily be a different matter.

Dick Irvin once was coach of the Habs, after all.

TRUE THAT :clap:

The first english class I got was in "secondary" 1... (grade 7? 12 y.o.). I'm the "most bilingual" person of everyone I personally know...

Nowadays, they get it right from grade 2 I think. So that definitely could change when I will be 50ish and those guys are gonna be 20ish...

but my mom and dad do not listen to english TV at all, although they understand it when spoken slowly.

Tell me the big Kostitsyn's fans (edit: in Belarus) will keep cheering for the Habs if they both get traded. Tell me that seriously...

It depends on how long they are in Montreal. Plenty of kids attach themselves to a star player but gravitate towards the crest.

I know plenty of Oiler fans who did not become Kings fans with the Gretzky trade.

TRUE THAT :clap:

The first english class I got was in "secondary" 1... (grade 7? 12 y.o.). I'm the "most bilingual" person of everyone I personally know...

Nowadays, they get it right from grade 2 I think. So that definitely could change when I will be 50ish and those guys are gonna be 20ish...

but my mom and dad do not listen to english TV at all, although they understand it when spoken slowly.

the regular fan wont mind a french coach/gm with all the reporters being able to translate. It's the whining french media that would hate it.

Lets say that Gillett fires Gainey and brings in a guy like Yzerman, you think people would cry foul because he doesnt speak the language ?? The guy oozes class and seems to have all the tools to become a special GM. the last time I checked, gillett didnt speak french and people still loved him because he understands the culture.

at equal talent, I'm sure that Montreal would pick a french coach/gm/player but the first goal is to win the Freaking cup, not to please the Tremblays and Raymonds of the world

the regular fan wont mind a french coach/gm with all the reporters being able to translate. It's the whining french media that would hate it.

Lets say that Gillett fires Gainey and brings in a guy like Yzerman, you think people would cry foul because he doesnt speak the language ?? The guy oozes class and seems to have all the tools to become a special GM. the last time I checked, gillett didnt speak french and people still loved him because he understands the culture.

at equal talent, I'm sure that Montreal would pick a french coach/gm/player but the first goal is to win the Freaking cup, not to please the Tremblays and Raymonds of the world

The regular fan won't mind as long as he speaks english. media will burn the centre bell for sure :P.

The regular fan won't mind as long as he speaks english. media will burn the centre bell for sure :P.

thats ok !! the building is ugly as crap and lacks charm. burn the team and the building.

I'd tell you this:

Stockwell Day has more chances to become chef du parti québécois before Hitchcok becomes coach of the habs

UNLESS

Hitchcock suddenly becomes fluent in French.

I'd put it the other way around :

Imagine Réjean Houle and Mario Tremblay respectively GM and Coach of the Maple Leafs.

It's as clownesque an idea as the one of having a non-french speaking coach in MTL. It can be Hitchcock... but he has to be able to speak to the 5.6M non-english fans.

You obviously never heard former ranger coach Michel Bergeron speak english. His command is laughable. And english is supposed to be his 2nd language! And these media clowns here in Montreal give Koivu a hard time, english is his 2nd language, and it's impeccable.

It depends on how long they are in Montreal. Plenty of kids attach themselves to a star player but gravitate towards the crest.

I know plenty of Oiler fans who did not become Kings fans with the Gretzky trade.

Gretzky is Canadian. Bad example.

Alexstream:

unless he learns french in 5 days.

Isn't this supposed to be a rumor thread? lol

But seriously Alex was that necessary? ^_^ Am I really that bad? :P

I am sort of in between with the whole coaching thing, and I understand where both sides are coming from but is this necessary, Carbo is BG's boy and will not be fired. The only way i see Carbo leaving is if he resigns (which is possible). Enough of the coaching debates this is a Rumor Thread!! :lol:

Ps: Forgive me I am not too good with quoting :unsure: