Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Alexstream:

Isn't this supposed to be a rumor thread? lol

But seriously Alex was that necessary? ^_^ Am I really that bad? :P

I am sort of in between with the whole coaching thing, and I understand where both sides are coming from but is this necessary, Carbo is BG's boy and will not be fired. The only way i see Carbo leaving is if he resigns (which is possible). Enough of the coaching debates this is a Rumor Thread!! :lol:

Ps: Forgive me I am not too good with quoting :unsure:

i was joking and was talking about this koivu-11 :Phttp://forums.habsworld.net/index.php?showuser=748

but you are right. it's a rumour thread... so the carbo "firing" thing has nothing to do in there :P

You obviously never heard former ranger coach Michel Bergeron speak english. His command is laughable. And english is supposed to be his 2nd language! And these media clowns here in Montreal give Koivu a hard time, english is his 2nd language, and it's impeccable.

oh, did you say he was speaking english? oh yeah... ok, so he was speaking english? right?

how many french words does [Hitchcock] know?

doesn't have to be fluent but has to be able to say something like :

"les gars n'ont pas travaillé assez fort, je suis faché"

in an understandable way :P

my whole point really. Bergerong WAS speaking english, even if it was real bad.

oh, did you say he was speaking english? oh yeah... ok, so he was speaking english? right?

how many french words does [Hitchcock] know?

doesn't have to be fluent but has to be able to say something like :

"les gars n'ont pas travaillé assez fort, je suis faché"

in an understandable way :P

my whole point really. Bergerong WAS speaking english, even if it was real bad.

You missed the point my friend, you had a scenario that had Tremblay coaching the leafs. Anyway, it's pathetic, but I agree with you. Any future coach must speak french, which also means we'll never get the best available candidate.

I understand what you are talking about, but I think that Gainey would seriously consider hiring Hitchcock if he was available.

But the language issue is the reason he handpicked Carbo, and the reason he is not going anywhere.

I don't think language has anything to do with Gainey's choice of Carbo, that's always been "his guy."

I agree with Stream, maybe if it's a choice between a totally unqualified franco and a fantastic anglo, we'd go with the anglo. But otherwise, we should really try to stick with coaches who can speak French and communicate with the media. Carbonneau's on TV all the time, he chats with Pierre Houde before each game and answers the majority of the questions at his press conference in French. That doesn't mean we'll always get stuck with crap coaches. As KoZed pointed out, Julien, Therrien and Vigneault have all gone on to have success with other teams. These are good coaches and Carbonneau's a good coach and there are plenty of other great bilingual coaching options out there.

Hitchcock is a fossil anyways. Montreal would die under his coaching. LeClaire and Mason have been him look adequate as a coach.

Hitchcock's system allows them to rack up the shutouts. The team consistently gives up the least quality chances... they're just inept offensively. Dan LaCosta even got a shutout this week for them.

Hitchcock's system allows them to rack up the shutouts. The team consistently gives up the least quality chances... they're just inept offensively. Dan LaCosta even got a shutout this week for them.

But look what happens when their goalies aren't playing superbly. LeClaire was good, but not great, the second half of last season and they fell out of the race. In addition, his system stifles the team offensively. Their powerplay is atrocious and they show very little creativity. They play in a way in which the only way they can succeed is if they give up 2 goals or less more often than not.

As for the whole language thing, would Quebec accept an English speaking coach who makes an effort to learn French? I can't imagine rejecting someone like that, and I'm someone who feels very strongly about people learning the language of the place they live/work.

And yes, I am someone who thinks Koivu should have learned French when he was drafted by the Habs, or at least when he was named captain. If you're going to make your living in a French speaking place and be the face of an iconic piece of the Quebec culture, then you damn well owe it to the people to learn their language. Is it worth dwelling on like some in the media do? No. But that doesn't make it right.

Are you guys really wanting a coaching change? I can't beleive i am the only on board with dismantling this disaster. GC as i point out numerous has had the best single season record with this garbage line up, 1st in the eat. The last 15 years it has been fighting for an 8 seed or out of the playoffs. GC may have his flaws, i think his biggest one is he benches rookies for poor play but lets vets like Kovalev float around game after game. That pisses me off, but other then that i'm ok with him. I also don't get the system arguement, it was the same system that got them to the top last year.

Players who you can move (i have no problem moving these guys)

Kovalev: For a pick

Koivu to Minnesota for a 1st and Sheppard (Big centre)

Pleks Higgins 2nd rounder and Weber for Jokinen and Morris

Tanguay will fetch a 1st rounder

Any defenseman is open to be moved.

Keep the goaltending

Off season:

Sign Boumeester Over pay

Sign a talented centre Connolly mode won't break the on a guy like that

I would try to get Hartnall

Lines

Pacioretty Jokinen D'Agi

AK46 Conolly SK74

Hartnell Sheppard Kosto

LAts Lapierre Laraque extra Stewart

Emelin Boumeester

Goges Markov

Carle hamrlik O'Byrme

Price and Halak

If only i was king for a day. That line up is bigger, tougher, more talented younger, D better skaters. BG, i hope you are reading this.

Plus it's new players, i am so tired of watching this garbage every night

But look what happens when their goalies aren't playing superbly. LeClaire was good, but not great, the second half of last season and they fell out of the race. In addition, his system stifles the team offensively. Their powerplay is atrocious and they show very little creativity. They play in a way in which the only way they can succeed is if they give up 2 goals or less more often than not.

As for the whole language thing, would Quebec accept an English speaking coach who makes an effort to learn French? I can't imagine rejecting someone like that, and I'm someone who feels very strongly about people learning the language of the place they live/work.

And yes, I am someone who thinks Koivu should have learned French when he was drafted by the Habs, or at least when he was named captain. If you're going to make your living in a French speaking place and be the face of an iconic piece of the Quebec culture, then you damn well owe it to the people to learn their language. Is it worth dwelling on like some in the media do? No. But that doesn't make it right.

koivu apparently knows french, but is to shy to speak in front of the camera.

and yes, they would. a lot of people in Qc voted for Harper.. :mellow:

trying = enough for our little people. :P

Are you guys really wanting a coaching change? I can't beleive i am the only on board with dismantling this disaster. GC as i point out numerous has had the best single season record with this garbage line up, 1st in the eat. The last 15 years it has been fighting for an 8 seed or out of the playoffs. GC may have his flaws, i think his biggest one is he benches rookies for poor play but lets vets like Kovalev float around game after game. That pisses me off, but other then that i'm ok with him. I also don't get the system arguement, it was the same system that got them to the top last year.

Players who you can move (i have no problem moving these guys)

Kovalev: For a pick

Koivu to Minnesota for a 1st and Sheppard (Big centre)

Pleks Higgins 2nd rounder and Weber for Jokinen and Morris

Tanguay will fetch a 1st rounder

Any defenseman is open to be moved.

Keep the goaltending

Off season:

Sign Boumeester Over pay

Sign a talented centre Connolly mode won't break the on a guy like that

I would try to get Hartnall

Lines

Pacioretty Jokinen D'Agi

AK46 Conolly SK74

Hartnell Sheppard Kosto

LAts Lapierre Laraque extra Stewart

Emelin Boumeester

Goges Markov

Carle hamrlik O'Byrme

Price and Halak

If only i was king for a day. That line up is bigger, tougher, more talented younger, D better skaters. BG, i hope you are reading this.

Plus it's new players, i am so tired of watching this garbage every night

someone has gravol? I feel sick.

koivu apparently knows french, but is to shy to speak in front of the camera.

See, I don't really understand that. I'm sure he wasn't comfortable with English when he first learned it, and most Euro players clearly aren't comfortable with speaking English when they first come over. Personally, I find it endearing to see and listen to guys speaking broken English. They're making an effort and I'm ok with that.

and yes, they would. a lot of people in Qc voted for Harper.. :mellow:

trying = enough for our little people. :P

So then the question becomes would the media actually give a guy time and leeway while he's learning the langauge.

Did Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman know French before they coached the Habs? (An honest question, I have no idea.)

See, I don't really understand that. I'm sure he wasn't comfortable with English when he first learned it, and most Euro players clearly aren't comfortable with speaking English when they first come over. Personally, I find it endearing to see and listen to guys speaking broken English. They're making an effort and I'm ok with that.

Look at the time he said the Habs probably wouldn't win the Cup. He was speaking in his second language, even one he speaks very well, but made a little error that resulted in a small scandal. Imagine if he started answering in French. It would appease the media for a week and then they'd start yelling over every accident he makes. If I were on the Habs, I wouldn't want to have to answer questions in French, at least not with a camera on me. That being said, the guy I love best is Kostopoulos, who speaks in French with an accent that makes Grabovski's English sound good.

I agree 100%

Put Steve Mason on the Lightning and tell me how he makes Tocchet look good.

Hitchcock is a relic who has placed a shitload of goaltenders among the league leaders

Roman Turek, Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Pascal Leclaire.

The guy chopped 82 goals off the Stars total from the year before he was hired.

He then goes to Philly and takes the Flyers from 7th in GAA to 1st and cuts 26 off their total.

Then in Columbus he goes from 285 to 249 to 218 last season.

And I am supposed to believe that it is Steve Mason. Come on, I am sure Tim Thomas is the reason that

the Bruins have improved and not Claude Julien. Or how about that fantastic goaltender in New Jersey,

you know, Scott Clemmensen. The goalie who is putting up the same numbers as Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur.

Even the great Patrick Roy enjoyed his 3 best season under Pat Burns, the man who brought the league

Byron Dafoe. Hitchcock may stifle the offense, but if you give him enough offensive talent he will succeed.

Dallas won the Cup and made a final under Hitch, the Flyers made game 7 of the conference-finals with Robert Esche.

Edited by Wamsley01

Sad really when it's come back to the English-French debate.

I though the coaches job was to handle his team not the local media [ya that's part of the job description]. I'd settle for a coach that can get through to his team when their playing poorly, and has the balls to sit guys out, and stick to his guns, and can get his team motivated! I wouldn't care if he had to sign or use pig latin to get his point across to the team.

As for the media, their part of the problem, maybe a Cup would shut them up. If they can't/won't deal with an anglophone coach tough.... it it were to come to that.

Guy's claim to fame was being a defensive forward, yet we're terrible on D overall, turnovers missed assignments forwards not backchecking, etc.......but hey he's french and the best we could do right.......... :rolleyes:

Would he still have a job if he were merely an anglo?????

I agree 100%

Put Steve Mason on the Lightning and tell me how he makes Tocchet look good.

Hitchcock is a relic who has placed a shitload of goaltenders among the league leaders.

Roman Turek, Roman Cechmanek, Robert Esche, Pascal Leclaire.

The guy chopped 82 goals off the Stars total from the previous year.

He then goes to Philly and takes the Flyers from 7th in GAA to 1st and cuts 26 off their total.

THen in Columbus he goes from 285 to 249 to 218 last season.

And I am supposed to believe that it is Steve Mason. Come on, I am sure Tim THomas is the reason that

the BRuins have improved and not Claude Julien.

Tim Thomas is like a fish out of water.

Tim Thomas is like a fish out of water.

Yep, not in Claude Julien's system.

Neither were Roloson or Fernandez in Minnesota. Hitchcock is more responsible for Mason than the other

way around. Why do you think the Panthers are all of a sudden rolling?

Go take a look at Peter DoBoer's defensive history in the OHL.

Yep, not in Claude Julien's system.

Neither were Roloson or Fernandez in Minnesota. Hitchcock is more responsible for Mason than the other

way around. Why do you think the Panthers are all of a sudden rolling?

Go take a look at Peter DoBoer's defensive history in the OHL.

but those are all frikkin boring.

when Carbo's team is doing well (i.e. not right now) it's very exciting hockey.

There was a reason the Flyers fired him and why the Jackets are going to once again miss the playoffs - he has the team so focused on defense that they can't score. Even with his defensive system which you are praising, they've given up more goals than they've scored as long as he's been the coach. Their goals scored have decreased almost as much as their goals against since he took over.

There was a reason the Flyers fired him and why the Jackets are going to once again miss the playoffs - he has the team so focused on defense that they can't score. Even with his defensive system which you are praising, they've given up more goals than they've scored as long as he's been the coach. Their goals scored have decreased almost as much as their goals against since he took over.

Who's their #1 center? Is it still Andrew Cassels? ^_^

Who's their #1 center? Is it still Andrew Cassels? ^_^

Brings up another thing I hate about Hitch. He insists on playing guys over their heads. He insists on playing Manny Malhotra on the top offensive line. I love the guy, but even without Brassard there are better centers on the team for that role. Before his injury, Jason Chimera was the regular second line winger. The guy has enough talent to play on an offensive line in a pinch, but you can't play the guy there regularly, he simply can't finish. Like Malhotra, he's an excellent 3rd liner, not a scorer. And then there is Hitch's love child, Kris Russell. Hitch just loves this kid, despite the fact that he doesn't belong in the NHL. Hitch always talks about two-way hockey and hard work, yet he continually plays Russell. Let me tell you, Russell is neither good defensively nor a super hard worker. He still belongs in the AHL, yet was at the NHL level all last season and most of this season. He's bad enough that I'd rather have Christian Backman in the lineup. :puke:

Columbus' problem is that they don't have enough Russell's in the system... in the sense that they don't have enough players drafted outside the top 10 that make it. And even their picks in the top 10 have not been as fruitful as they should've been (Klesla, Picard, Brule, even Zherdev and Leclaire). That's not Hitch's coaching at fault.

I'd say Hitch did a pretty good job of screwing up Zherdev and running him out of town. Hitch freaking hated Nik, even when Nik did everything that was asked of him. Early last season Nik was skating his ass off, backchecking, everything. Even so, Hitch refused to reward him and even took away ice time and made him serve bench minors. So they go out and get a guy Hitch likes, Huselius, who has performed far below Nik, both offensively and defensively. Thanks, Hitch. I'll never forgive him for what he did to Nik.

I also wouldn't class Klesla and LeClaire with Brule and Picard. Klesla has developed into a good physical defender. He and Hejda were a fantastic shutdown pairing last year. They were both plus players on a team full of minuses. And how quickly you forget the season LeClaire had last season, looking only at what he did this year trying to play injured.

Brings up another thing I hate about Hitch. He insists on playing guys over their heads. He insists on playing Manny Malhotra on the top offensive line. I love the guy, but even without Brassard there are better centers on the team for that role. Before his injury, Jason Chimera was the regular second line winger. The guy has enough talent to play on an offensive line in a pinch, but you can't play the guy there regularly, he simply can't finish. Like Malhotra, he's an excellent 3rd liner, not a scorer. And then there is Hitch's love child, Kris Russell. Hitch just loves this kid, despite the fact that he doesn't belong in the NHL. Hitch always talks about two-way hockey and hard work, yet he continually plays Russell. Let me tell you, Russell is neither good defensively nor a super hard worker. He still belongs in the AHL, yet was at the NHL level all last season and most of this season. He's bad enough that I'd rather have Christian Backman in the lineup. :puke:

huummm it reminds me something.... :D