Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

My favourite team in the NFL is San Francisco. Does that make me a fan of the 49ers ??? I watche 0 games in the last 3-4 seasons, maybe 1 or 2 in the last 5-6 seasons.

I don't believe Habs fans all around the globe would match the numbers of french speaking fans here in Quebec.

I live in Western Canada and have missed 4 habs games during the past 3 years and have been a habs fan since I came came to canada as a 5 year old in 1975. I think you seriously underestimate the number of habs fans outside of Quebec. You sound more like a casual fan of the NFL, if you have watched zero games during the past 3-4 years of your "favourite" team. You simply may "like" the 49ers. Not the same thing as being a fan!!

See, I don't really understand that. I'm sure he wasn't comfortable with English when he first learned it, and most Euro players clearly aren't comfortable with speaking English when they first come over. Personally, I find it endearing to see and listen to guys speaking broken English. They're making an effort and I'm ok with that.

So then the question becomes would the media actually give a guy time and leeway while he's learning the langauge.

Did Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman know French before they coached the Habs? (An honest question, I have no idea.)

If I was Koivu and could speak French, I'd refuse to speak french just out of spite for all of the crap he has to put up with from the french media.

How can you compare what Carbo does to using a guy above his head as a regular thing? Carbo isn't trying to use Dandy/Kosto as a regular scoring winger or Lapierre as a regular #1 centre.

Kovalev-Koivu-Bégin

Kovalev-Plex-Kosto

Kovalev-Lang-Dandenault

He did it very often in the last 2 seasons. Not on a regular basis, but quite a few times.

If I was Koivu and could speak French, I'd refuse to speak french just out of spite for all of the crap he has to put up with from the french media.

I've always wanted him to respond in Finnish to any questions asked in French :)

I live in Western Canada and have missed 4 habs games during the past 3 years and have been a habs fan since I came came to canada as a 5 year old in 1975. I think you seriously underestimate the number of habs fans outside of Quebec. You sound more like a casual fan of the NFL, if you have watched zero games during the past 3-4 years of your "favourite" team. You simply may "like" the 49ers. Not the same thing as being a fan!!

I know. But is there 3,000,000 + of people like you in the world ?

Kovalev-Koivu-Bégin

Kovalev-Plex-Kosto

Kovalev-Lang-Dandenault

He did it very often in the last 2 seasons. Not on a regular basis, but quite a few times.

Yeah, he does it every now and then to shake things up. Hitch puts guys where they don't belong and keeps them there, whether they perform or not.

Koivu can speak french, so... you just described what he'd actually be doing right now.

Koivu can speak french, so... you just described what he'd actually be doing right now.

I can pick up enough french to understand the basic thing that I am being asked, but my vocabulary is so poor that I need to answer in english. Could be something similar

I think the level of french speaking that would be "acceptable" for the Québec medias is the one spoke by Bob Gainey. Far from good, but we understand him...

Exactement.

I know. But is there 3,000,000 + of people like you in the world ?

And that would be a highly conservative estimate, I should think.

I think the level of french speaking that would be "acceptable" for the Québec medias is the one spoke by Bob Gainey. Far from good, but we understand him...

Gainey french is the only french that I fully understand :P

See, I don't really understand that. I'm sure he wasn't comfortable with English when he first learned it, and most Euro players clearly aren't comfortable with speaking English when they first come over. Personally, I find it endearing to see and listen to guys speaking broken English. They're making an effort and I'm ok with that.

He did learn it. It's just not his job to be a cunning linguist. He can say a few words.

I think people forget that learning a language is not that easy. English, okay, english is the easiest language on the earth (..waiting for some anglophone to say "NO way, English is the hardest!!"), it's true. French is tougher. And alot of learning a language has to do with the language you already know, or the language you're learning the new language in. And I have no idea what kind of language Finnish is, so I don't know.

Bottom line is it is very nerve-racking talking in a language you are uncomfortable in to anyone, let alone millions of habs fans. SO excuse Koivu for not jumping on any opportunities to speak french.

I think people forget that learning a language is not that easy. English, okay, english is the easiest language on the earth (..waiting for some anglophone to say "NO way, English is the hardest!!"), it's true. French is tougher. And alot of learning a language has to do with the language you already know, or the language you're learning the new language in. And I have no idea what kind of language Finnish is, so I don't know.

See, I've always heard people say that English is very hard to learn because it has so many quirks. The only other language I ever took was Latin, and it was tons easier than English. Latin grammar came way easier to me than English grammar ever has. Given that French is a Romance language, I would think it would be similar in ease of learning as Latin.

See, I've always heard people say that English is very hard to learn because it has so many quirks. The only other language I ever took was Latin, and it was tons easier than English. Latin grammar came way easier to me than English grammar ever has. Given that French is a Romance language, I would think it would be similar in ease of learning as Latin.

English, okay, english is the easiest language on the earth (..waiting for some anglophone to say "NO way, English is the hardest!!"), it's true. French is tougher.

Don't know much about French or learning a second language in my adulthood, but considering how faulty English is and all the exceptions to rules that get thrown at you, I'd say English is pretty darn confusing for people to master. Maybe French has similar faults, but I wouldn't know.

But yeah, easier than Chinese!

Don't know much about French or learning a second language in my adulthood, but considering how faulty English is and all the exceptions to rules that get thrown at you, I'd say English is pretty darn confusing for people to master. Maybe French has similar faults, but I wouldn't know.

But yeah, easier than Chinese!

English is probably easy to learn to speak but it's considered a very hard language to write in because of words like "ghost," "glue," "throw," and and "thorough." In most languages you wouldn't have a W at the end of throw but English throws them in. The speaking is pretty easy, there's no masculine/feminin for one thing.

French is considered a very, very, very tough language. There are all sorts of "rules" but every rule has as many exceptions as it does examples. You need to have the Bescherelle ingrained in your brain.

I was wishing for a Salei and Laperrière in Habs uniform.

Wrong Laperrière doesn't bring anything that Lappy doesn't bring.

Salei well he is dirty, gets out of position but still he's a guy that i would like

to see as a Habs.

Now it's up to Feb 18 days to trade deadline. I don't want to wait that long, the way they play we can fight Carolina and Pittsburg for a 8th place in two weeks.

Bob do something !! It's no too late to do something good for that team.

One move + Tanguay + Latendresse and we are there.

Good ol' trade deadline rumours. It's enough to make you want to poor a strong scotch down your throat. Pass the ammo :lol:

Does BOb make a sideways move? Who knows? I'm too lazy to type all of the rumoured names that are mentioned by the mill. We all know who they are. I highly doubt that any trade Gainey makes will be a "save season" sacrifice trade. I think it makes more sense to stand pat. It's obvious what moves he will make in acquisitions. We just don't know if we a getting option A, B, C or D regarding both a D player and a centre. It's been stated that Gainey wants to address these issues. Remember when he acquired Dowd? Before BOb got him he said publically, "We'd like to acquire a right shooting centre".

I suspect we get low trimmings to bandaid these issues. I'm not expecting option A or B to emerge. Rather C or D.

But ya never know. Who does? Eklund? :lol:

Good ol' trade deadline rumours. It's enough to make you want to poor a strong scotch down your throat. Pass the ammo :lol:

Does BOb make a sideways move? Who knows? I'm too lazy to type all of the rumoured names that are mentioned by the mill. We all know who they are. I highly doubt that any trade Gainey makes will be a "save season" sacrifice trade. I think it makes more sense to stand pat. It's obvious what moves he will make in acquisitions. We just don't know if we a getting option A, B, C or D regarding both a D player and a centre. It's been stated that Gainey wants to address these issues. Remember when he acquired Dowd? Before BOb got him he said publically, "We'd like to acquire a right shooting centre".

I suspect we get low trimmings to bandaid these issues. I'm not expecting option A or B to emerge. Rather C or D.

But ya never know. Who does? Eklund? :lol:

Samsonov all over again!!