Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Sanford plays 25+ games (or Price 65+ games) I don't think any upgrade we've made at C will overcome that value we lost with Halak being traded.

Price can play 74 games next season and lead the league in shutouts, then he'll be our savior again :)

Price can play 74 games next season and lead the league in shutouts, then he'll be our savior again :)

ahhh the off season when all crazy dreams are possible. i love it.

Habs need to make space for Grier unless it implies that Pacioretty starts the season in Hamilton if this is true.

I'd put my money on Detroit signing him thought if it's between the Habs and Wings.

They'll definitely need the size of Pacioretty or Grier. Unless BGL is out indefinately i don't see the habs signing anyone else.

Pacioretty's size gives him a big advantage going for the final spots over SK and D'Agi.

Habs need to make space for Grier unless it implies that Pacioretty starts the season in Hamilton if this is true.

I'd put my money on Detroit signing him thought if it's between the Habs and Wings.

why grier?

With the way the roster currently is, Pacioretty will almost certainly start the season in Hamilton, regardless of whether Grier signs or not. His cap hit ($910,000) will be more than any of the "bubble players" so he'll be the odd man out.

I'll take that bet. Pacioretty brings more to the table then either D'Agi or SK. He also brings something the other 2 don't, size, which is exactly what Martin said he needed on the top 2 lines.

I see to start anyway;

Cammallari Gomez Gionta

Pacioretty Pleks AK46

Lats Lapierre Moen

Stewart Chipchura Metropolit

BGL is currently injured and won't be ready to start the season, i think someone posted that here.

You need to score to be on the top 2 lines, though. Pacioretty hasn't proven that ability at the professional level yet. D'Agostini and Latendresse have, and even Sergei has shown some pop at the AHL level.

It'll be between Sergei and Pacioretty for a spot, though. There's still hope for Max Pac, as the difference between their cap hits isn't overly huge (less than $100k).

D'Agostini will definitely be a habs, as will Chipchura. Stewart could be waived, though, since he'd almost certainly clear and go to Hamilton.

Anyways, might be the wrong thread for this, but my projected Day 1 roster is something like:

Latendresse Gomez Gionta

Cammalleri Plekanec AKostitsyn

Chipchura Lapierre Moen (the checking line)

Pacioretty/SKost Metropolit D'Ago

We could all be completely off base, however. But I like my checking line... I think Chips and Lapierre could form some good chemistry, and Chips' game could be helped out if put on the wing to start. Good size on that line, too. Guillaume can work the boards for the Gomez-Gionta tandem. Gionta scores about 75% of his goals from 6 feet from the crease, so let's keep him in front of the goal line. Gui's skating has improved a lot in three years and he's now a very strong forechecker as a result. Gomez will do most of the puck carrying... he has great ability moving the puck from blue line to blue line.

Most of Cammalleri's points come on the PP. That's when we'll see him with Gomez and Gionta, and he'll get plenty of chances to unleash his great Hull-like one timer with Markov feeding him the cross-ice passes that he used to feed Kovalev with.

There really is a lot of qualities with the players we got that us Habs fans haven't seen from our players before. Higgins never became a bigger version of Gionta, and our puck carrying ability was more built around the stretch pass than a centre. Plekanec at least knows where the defensive zone is, so he could learn to help out the D a bit more in the transition game.

I'll take that bet. Pacioretty brings more to the table then either D'Agi or SK. He also brings something the other 2 don't, size, which is exactly what Martin said he needed on the top 2 lines.

I see to start anyway;

Cammallari Gomez Gionta

Pacioretty Pleks AK46

Lats Lapierre Moen

Stewart Chipchura Metropolit

BGL is currently injured and won't be ready to start the season, i think someone posted that here.

D'Agostini requires waivers, so he can't go to the AHL. Laraque may be hurt, but won't miss enough time for LTIR. Using my estimates from my cap article, if Pacioretty makes the team, the Habs will be less than $300,000 under the cap - not enough for injuries and not enough to bring in help from elsewhere. There's also the fact that he certainly could use some seasoning as well.

More Marleau rumblings...

The deal would apparently see Patrick Marleau end up in Montreal, Dany Heatley get his wish and end up in California while the Senators would get a package that involved Tomas Plekanec and Milan Michalek.

For the record, losing Plekanec alone for Marleau doesn't work capwise, so consider it with a grain of salt. (Although it doesn't explicitly say that Plekanec is the only player that moves).

http://www.senschirp.ca/2009/07/rumoured-t...-team-deal.html

Another trade would require so many other moves. I wouldn't rule it all out, but to get a player of Marleau's ability, we'd almost certainly have to trade Hamrlik away... or else it'd be Plekanec + A. Kostitsyn at the very least. If Hamrlik were to be traded, we'd have to replace him with a pretty good player as well.

I won't rule anything out this offseason, and if you can get Marleau to waive his NTC to come here you might as well negotiate an extension with him (that would hopefully reduce his salary on a 3 or 4 year term). I can see the benefits of such a move.

Well, now that Morris has signed (3.3), my "idea" can be ruled out... but it wouldn't have been shocking to see Hamrlik (5.5) traded as a dump, signing Morris (3.3) to save 2.2M, then going with the Plek (2.75) - Marleau (6.5) trade. (only taking a total of 600k)

-----

btw, what's wrong with Eminger? that'd be a guy I'd try out.

CKAC is reprting Dallas wants Hamrlik. Which may be the start of the Marleau deal.

For all that's worth.

They're certainly a team that could use him since their D is patchwork at best. I should note that Tom Hicks is in massive financial trouble (he makes his co-owner in Liverpool - George Gillett - look like he was in great shape before the Habs sale), so assuming a $5.5 M deal could be difficult. (This is also preventing his MLB team from being buyers on Friday's non-waiver deadline despite their success thus far...)

CKAC is reprting Dallas wants Hamrlik. Which may be the start of the Marleau deal.

For all that's worth.

It could also be logical that we let one spot for one of the younglings.

we don't have any fatal flaw as opposed to last season (lack of a shooter on the pp)

we have shut down guys.

we have PP guys.

we have physical guys.

we have puck movers.

we have gorges.

Hamrlik is good to have, but is expendable at 5.5M (at 3.3M, he'd be pretty awesome)... particularly if it means that we can indirectly bring in PATRICK MARLEAU.

They're certainly a team that could use him since their D is patchwork at best. I should note that Tom Hicks is in massive financial trouble (he makes his co-owner in Liverpool - George Gillett - look like he was in great shape before the Habs sale), so assuming a $5.5 M deal could be difficult. (This is also preventing his MLB team from being buyers on Friday's non-waiver deadline despite their success thus far...)

Hicks is in trouble.

the Stars are not.

Gillet was in trouble but Gainey still signed Martin at 1.5M

And I must remind you that officially, the team still belongs to Gillet.

I'm sure that, Hicks in trouble or not, the Stars will end up spending close to the cap.

I heard Hicks wanted to sell the Rangers, keep the Stars and stay involved in Liverpool. I don't know if he's made any progress on the Rangers front. Hicks loves the Stars... I think they're his favourite.

They're just rumours but to me it seems obvious that Gainey is working hard at bringing in Marleau (while losing Hamrlik and probably Plekanec).

If we trade Hamrlik to Dallas for one of their young, bottom pairing defensemen (a sort of Gorges), we'll have the cap space to bring in Marleau for Plekanec. (Yeah, Marleau would cost more than that.)

So Hamrlik for one of Fistric, Daley, Grossman and Niskanen, depending on Hammer's value.

Then Plekanec (plus, stuff like D'Agostini, Weber/Carle/O'Byrne, a pick) for Marleau.

I'm not sure if it would work for Dallas cap-wise, but it would give both Montreal and San Jose more cap space (albeit, not enough for Heatley).

They're just rumours but to me it seems obvious that Gainey is working hard at bringing in Marleau (while losing Hamrlik and probably Plekanec).

If we trade Hamrlik to Dallas for one of their young, bottom pairing defensemen (a sort of Gorges), we'll have the cap space to bring in Marleau for Plekanec. (Yeah, Marleau would cost more than that.)

So Hamrlik for one of Fistric, Daley, Grossman and Niskanen, depending on Hammer's value.

Then Plekanec (plus, stuff like D'Agostini, Weber/Carle/O'Byrne, a pick) for Marleau.

I'm not sure if it would work for Dallas cap-wise, but it would give both Montreal and San Jose more cap space (albeit, not enough for Heatley).

Do it Bob

DO IT DO IT

For all that's worth.

I really cant see anybody wanting Hamrlik unless he is doing someones wife... specially at over 5 mil... Does he not have a partial NTC?

I really cant see anybody wanting Hamrlik unless he is doing someones wife... specially at over 5 mil... Does he not have a partial NTC?

He only had one bad year. Worse players have been given more chances.