Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

i don't think florida are desperate to give him up, how little do we have to give up to get him?

He has 3 years left on his deal; if they were trying to move him, that'd be the biggest reason I'd presume. That being said, he's actually producing right now (on pace for 70 points), it's hard to envision the Panthers wanting to move him at this very time.

One of the rumors I came across this morning from Yahoo and ‘The Fourth Period’ was very strange. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Ed...?urn=nhl,207082 There is so much that makes no sense, Souray’s NTC and his cap hit of $5.4 million for the next three years. Have to hope this is like a EK rumor.

Horton: There is a slight possibility but in order to keep both Horton and Plekanec long term, some dumping has to happen first, or additional ( multiple ) trade, to make this work financially ( Cap ). I like the idea of Horton but it’s hard to imagine Florida giving up on him a 2003 draft pick 1/3. Also the fact he has 11 points in his last 10 games.

A Possible trading partner that could work is St. Louis. Eric Brewer is back on the injury list for the next 2-4 weeks. They have called up Alex Pietrangelo from their AHL affiliate . Considering this was a playoff team last year and they are in danger of missing the playoff’s this year, big time. They have been moving, Backes and Burglund all over the depth chart trying to find a line that works with them, a possibility ?.

I think we are back to 49 contracts and a cap problem when Markov comes back, we will have gulch of D-men and only one can be moved back to Hamilton MAB after clearing waivers, all the others either have NTC and/or one-way contracts. I would like to think this is the time to push a trade in the direction of St. Louis, ( they have approx. $7.5 mil in cap space) for one or both of the above players. Their cap hits can work for us. I’m thinking a package with AK, Gorges and D’Agostini might do it. Burglund and Backes both give Gainey a safety net, in case he can’t reach a deal with Plekanec. My preference is Backes a better than average second line centre or a second line RW.

One of the rumors I came across this morning from Yahoo and ‘The Fourth Period’ was very strange. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Ed...?urn=nhl,207082 There is so much that makes no sense, Souray’s NTC and his cap hit of $5.4 million for the next three years. Have to hope this is like a EK rumor.

Horton: There is a slight possibility but in order to keep both Horton and Plekanec long term, some dumping has to happen first, or additional ( multiple ) trade, to make this work financially ( Cap ). I like the idea of Horton but it’s hard to imagine Florida giving up on him a 2003 draft pick 1/3. Also the fact he has 11 points in his last 10 games.

A Possible trading partner that could work is St. Louis. Eric Brewer is back on the injury list for the next 2-4 weeks. They have called up Alex Pietrangelo from their AHL affiliate . Considering this was a playoff team last year and they are in danger of missing the playoff’s this year, big time. They have been moving, Backes and Burglund all over the depth chart trying to find a line that works with them, a possibility ?.

I think we are back to 49 contracts and a cap problem when Markov comes back, we will have gulch of D-men and only one can be moved back to Hamilton MAB after clearing waivers, all the others either have NTC and/or one-way contracts. I would like to think this is the time to push a trade in the direction of St. Louis, ( they have approx. $7.5 mil in cap space) for one or both of the above players. Their cap hits can work for us. I’m thinking a package with AK, Gorges and D’Agostini might do it. Burglund and Backes both give Gainey a safety net, in case he can’t reach a deal with Plekanec. My preference is Backes a better than average second line centre or a second line RW.

If there really is anything behind the Horton talks, then I would have to assume Plex is the key guy slated to go the other way. Centre for centre, and at least Plexy's contract is a good start at matching up with that of Horton.

I for one like George and do not think he should be traded.

If there really is anything behind the Horton talks, then I would have to assume Plex is the key guy slated to go the other way. Centre for centre, and at least Plexy's contract is a good start at matching up with that of Horton.

I gave my edge to Backes for two reasons only, The first is the cap hit at $2.500.ending in 10/11 and second he plays with a edge and might lineup a little better against Boston, Toronto and Ottawa and their LW intimidators.

Actually, they both have pluses and minuses Their faceoff percentages are not nearly as good as I thought. Basically, the area that separates these two, is cap hits. This make resigning Plekanec even more important with his faceoff record and PK record.

08/09

Backes 44.4% on 477 TFO – Total 31-23=54 points

Horton 43.7% on 863 TFO-Total 22-23=45 points

09/10

Backes 44.1% on 263 TFO- total 4-7=11 points

Horton 52.5% on 59 TFO – total 8-17=25 points ( now playing RW )

Ville Koistinen is available on re-entry waivers today. His cap his is only $500k to the claiming team. I know the habs have a full roster right now - and guys are coming back - but this is too good a deal to pass up. I could envision him as the last D on a healthy habs team with Bergeron playing 4th line forward and Mara in the pressbox.

Ville Koistinen is available on re-entry waivers today. His cap his is only $500k to the claiming team. I know the habs have a full roster right now - and guys are coming back - but this is too good a deal to pass up. I could envision him as the last D on a healthy habs team with Bergeron playing 4th line forward and Mara in the pressbox.

I'd have to think there are a few teams interested. Though I don't know what the waiver priority rules are, the Habs did claim Jay Leach off waivers not too long ago, so if someone else is claiming, I don't think the Habs will get him.

Gonna need fo Brian's input here, maybe he knows the waiver priority rules. Or anyone else too, I guess.

Horton for Pleks makes sense if indeed Horton has three years left on his deal. That represents solid cap value, and he would bring a different dimension that our lineup sorely needs. Pleks will likely command more than $4-mil per, so that's just the sort of deal Bob should be eyeing, if it's a possibility.

Floorida would want a signed Pleks.

If something were to happen it's more likely both kosty bro's. Same approximate age and cap hit.

Trading Pleks is more likely a 1st rounder since he is UFA.

Horton for Pleks makes sense if indeed Horton has three years left on his deal. That represents solid cap value, and he would bring a different dimension that our lineup sorely needs. Pleks will likely command more than $4-mil per, so that's just the sort of deal Bob should be eyeing, if it's a possibility.

This is likely dreaming in Technicolour.

Horton isn't even 25 yet and is in his 6th full season and showing signs of finally emerging as an elite power forward

as well as locked in to a reasonable deal for the next 3 years at $4M per season.

He is not a candidate for a salary dump. Outside of a scandal that I have not yet heard about, this is unlikely.

Edited by Wamsley01

Not so sure Plex will get that much?! Like I mentionned a few days ago, if we compare Plex to Marc savard, (who just signed a 7 years deal at 4.2 million$ per year), I don't think Plex is worth as much as Savard.

Savard has 4 seasons with 78 or more points(including 2 with 96+ points). Plex has one 69 point season.

I really like Plex! I'd like it if Bob would get off his ass and sign him to a long term deal(4 to 5 years) at 4 million$ per year. I think that its a fair deal.

I'd have to think there are a few teams interested. Though I don't know what the waiver priority rules are, the Habs did claim Jay Leach off waivers not too long ago, so if someone else is claiming, I don't think the Habs will get him.

Gonna need fo Brian's input here, maybe he knows the waiver priority rules. Or anyone else too, I guess.

afaik, the only waiver priority rule is that position in the standings controls -> i.e., the lower team gets first pick. Right now Montreal is 20th overall, so they'd have the 11th pick. It's worth a shot, IMO.

Not so sure Plex will get that much?! Like I mentionned a few days ago, if we compare Plex to Marc savard, (who just signed a 7 years deal at 4.2 million$ per year), I don't think Plex is worth as much as Savard.

Savard has 4 seasons with 78 or more points(including 2 with 96+ points). Plex has one 69 point season.

I really like Plex! I'd like it if Bob would get off his ass and sign him to a long term deal(4 to 5 years) at 4 million$ per year. I think that its a fair deal.

The whole point of the Savard deal was the super long term to lower the cap hit. We'd have to be willing to give Plex at least a 7 or 8 year deal in order to be able to play that same kind of cap game. Savard would not have accepted a 5 year deal a $4.2 mil per. Over 4 or 5 years, Savard would have cost prolly $6.5m

It is the wrong comparable.

Savard didn't really sign for $4.2M per, he exposed a loophole that will see him get 6.375M per season

for the first 4 years. Then over the last 3 years his salary will be 2.55M for ALL 3 years.

The buyout will then be a percentage of that divided by double the length left. So in essence the cost

4 years from now would be around 350-500K per season over 6 years. Negligible cap cost to the Bruins

to allow them to compete this season.

The Luongo deal and Hossa deal are also structured this way to cheat the system.

The whole point of the Savard deal was the super long term to lower the cap hit. We'd have to be willing to give Plex at least a 7 or 8 year deal in order to be able to play that same kind of cap game. Savard would not have accepted a 5 year deal a $4.2 mil per. Over 4 or 5 years, Savard would have cost prolly $6.5m

He essentially did get $6.5M per.

He essentially did get $6.5M per.

exactly... the whole point of these contracts is that they only work if the cheap years occur well after the player's peak - otherwise the incentives don't line up right.

There is one funny way this could all blow up in players' faces -> as mentioned in the last HW Recap, there is a fundamental value in having a low pay/high cap hit player for teams trying to make the salary floor. All these guys think they are going to get bought out in the final years of their deals and secure new deals that pay their market price (think Savard going out and getting a $2M/yr deal). This might not really happen, though. If Nashville or the Panthers are looking to make the salary floor, you might see them buying up the Savards and the Luongos of the league and these guys are going to muddle through 2 years of playing on the cheap.

For the players, it is also a bet against salary inflation (and their own longevity). Maybe in 5 years, Savard will still be getting over 60pts a season... Why in the world would the Bruins buy him out then?

Yeah, let's say, theoretically, the economy sorts itself out, and the U.S. begins growing again. Based on the cap numbers in the seasons immediately after the lockout, the cap was increasing when the economy was healthy. It's not a stretch to think the cap could be in the viscinity of 70M in 5 years from now. At which point a 5M salary is alot less than it is now (proportionally, it's equal to a 4M salary on a 56M cap), and a player like Savard will be putting up 60+ point and making 2.55M/year, and the cap hit of 4.2 really won't bother the Bruins enough to buy him out.

On the flip side, Savard could miss an average of 40 games every year and the Bruins won't be able to buy him out until 5 years go by, and even then, they'll be feeling the effects of the buyout on their cap for several seasons beyond that.

Maybe Ovechkin will someday not be in the top 10 paid players in the league cap wise.

This is likely dreaming in Technicolour.

Horton isn't even 25 yet and is in his 6th full season and showing signs of finally emerging as an elite power forward

as well as locked in to a reasonable deal for the next 3 years at $4M per season.

He is not a candidate for a salary dump. Outside of a scandal that I have not yet heard about, this is unlikely.

Yep, I agree that it's an optimistic scenario. Still, Florida is basically a B.S. organization, Horton (for all his youth) has been around a long time and may either be souring on Florida or they on him, etc.. Weird things happen with players who come into an organization very early - witness the general and mutual fatigue with Latendresse.

More realistically, we'd have to sweeten the pot a bit. Which makes the whole notion much less attractive.

It is the wrong comparable.

Why is it the wrong comparable? They are similar in their style of play. Fine, give Plex a 7 year deal and pay him more now and a little less in teh 6th and 7th years of the deal. Plex is only 27, by the time the deal ends, he'll be 34!

I still think we could sign him for 7 years. 5 million per year for the first 5 years and 2.5 million per year for the last 2 years. I would think this would be a very good deal for Plex.

Edited by Habsfan

There are teams who may need a goalie, Pleks is playing for a contract, it would be very risky not to move him. Then everyone will claim BG let him go for nothing.

I would Philly, see if Halak and Pleks can land you Richards. I think Carter is a franchise guy. Philly needs a shake up.

Call Detroit, they may want a goalie and a centre.

BG does have some talent to move if he wants, i still think they need a big centre down the middle. Horton, Richards, carter, someone relatively young who has established themselves.

Mike Richards for Halak and Pleks :lol::lol::lol: Let's be serious.

I doubt that Pleks would accept one of these 7-year front-loaded deals. Most of those go to players who will be, like, 40 when the deal expires. Pleks will be 34 and potentially still highly productive. To pull off that stunt you'd likely have to give him something like a 12-year deal, with big money for 5-6 seasons followed by diminshing returns :huh: Do you really want to make that investment on a guy who has never done one single thing in the playoffs and who got 39 points last season?

All signs point to Bob being unable to re-sign this guy. I'll defer final judgement until the matter is resolved; but all I can say is that we'd better not have a repeat of the Souray/Komisarek/Streit scenario where a highly valuable asset is allowed to walk for no return in a season in which the Habs have zero chance of winning the Cup.

Funny nobody mentionned the 4th period rumor Souray, Cogliano for Andrei and Sergei.

uh...no thanks. how about Andrei + Laraque for Cogliano+ Gilbert ? clic

There are teams who may need a goalie, Pleks is playing for a contract, it would be very risky not to move him. Then everyone will claim BG let him go for nothing.

I would Philly, see if Halak and Pleks can land you Richards. I think Carter is a franchise guy. Philly needs a shake up.

Call Detroit, they may want a goalie and a centre.

BG does have some talent to move if he wants, i still think they need a big centre down the middle. Horton, Richards, carter, someone relatively young who has established themselves.

Once Dipietro is back, Biron will clearly see action in Detroit IMO...