Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

This is a slow day with no rumors to play with, also I can’t find a thread where this kind of Trivia would fit. And some might find it fun as I did.

Question,

There are only two players that have their names on both the Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup can you name them.

I understand your point, just a real quick look might suggest differently, Front loaded contracts Toews, Kane, Savard, Heatly Lecavalier and Malone. The others that I left out are older than 30. and did not chech your list.

I don’t believe it has anything to do with age, players look are a number, how they get that number is of little concern and all the better if it is front loaded. This is a Cap management process where players assists management in keeping a better roster for the player to play in.

Considering that two of the guys you listed you on my list, it's pretty clear you not only didn't check my list, you didn't even read it. Also, Savard falls into the over 28 category, so he doesn't help your argument. Lecavalier, while 28 when he signed the extension, still falls into the same category as guys like Hossa, because of the length of the deal. His contract takes him up into his late 30's, when retirement happens for 98% of players. Healtey is the only one who helps your argument, and that's just one player against the baker's dozen on my list. Generally speaking, young players do not take front loaded deals.

This is a slow day with no rumors to play with, also I can’t find a thread where this kind of Trivia would fit. And some might find it fun as I did.

Question,

There are only two players that have their names on both the Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup can you name them.

I'm gonna guess that one of them is Cyclone Taylor.

Question,

I vaguely recall something about Gretzky recently having his name added to a Grey Cup win from the early 90's. Part owner or something?

I vaguely recall something about Gretzky recently having his name added to a Grey Cup win from the early 90's. Part owner or something?

gerry james was the only one for a long time but I think someone got added recently?

so. . . no one got the answer

but one right, will check back in the morning and give the two players

You're not making any sense. You said there are only two and that one was right, but that you'll give the two names later? If there are only two and we already got 1, how are there still two more?

You're not making any sense. You said there are only two and that one was right, but that you'll give the two names later? If there are only two and we already got 1, how are there still two more?

Sorry if I mislead, not intentional. I'm really impressed with remembering Gretzky. When I was asked I came up with 'Red Story' and only the last name of the other. Conacher played in 4 sports.

Lionel Conacher and Wayne Gretzky is the answer I was given. Heavens only knows what my brain will throw out in order to keep this info.

Now I will try to see if there was more, in case Red Story as Ref was on the Stanley cup.

Hope you had fun

I have Gerry James playing hockey from 1954-60

The leafs won the Stanley cup in 50-51 and then again in 61/62

I will research this later, but I am impressed

sorry I was wrong Gerry played in the stanley cup finals with the leafs but they lost to the habs. My memory is faulty.

Who says that last season Bob Gainey didnt offer Plek a multi-year 3-3.5mil contract? Maybe Plek wanted 4-5mil, negotiations took quite some time as i recall....

So Jumping to conclusion that Gainey was asleep at the wheel is IMO &$#&$#@@

Who says that last season Bob Gainey didnt offer Plek a multi-year 3-3.5mil contract? Maybe Plek wanted 4-5mil, negotiations took quite some time as i recall....

So Jumping to conclusion that Gainey was asleep at the wheel is IMO &$#&$#@@

I remember that 2 years ago they were talking long-term deal but the reported dollars being talked about then were 5 years and $25 mil - heck, there was a report that said Plekanec turned that down. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is his final season in Montreal, he'll price himself right out of Montreal if he keeps this up.

I remember that 2 years ago they were talking long-term deal but the reported dollars being talked about then were 5 years and $25 mil - heck, there was a report that said Plekanec turned that down. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is his final season in Montreal, he'll price himself right out of Montreal if he keeps this up.

Pessimism is absolutely the appropriate response here.

I don't mind losing him. What I mind is losing him for nothing. But Pleks + Halak and other bits could prove an extremely tempting offer to someone around the deadline. If I'm Gainey, I open negotiations with Pleks ASAP and make my deadline plans around that.

no way.

even right now he's not worth that.

Kane 6.3M

Carter 5M

Pleks ? -> 4-4.5M

I know he's ufa and all.. but he'll be competing vs Marleau, Jokinen, Hejduk, Frolov for top money.

and seeing top contract went at 7.5M, seing that Marleau is not a game breaker or a superstar, but he's still really good, I'd say it'd go something like that

6.5M Marleau

5.5M Jokinen

4.5M Plekanec

4M Hejduk

4M Frolov

no way.

even right now he's not worth that.

Kane 6.3M

Carter 5M

Pleks ? -> 4-4.5M

I know he's ufa and all.. but he'll be competing vs Marleau, Jokinen, Hejduk, Frolov for top money.

and seeing top contract went at 7.5M, seing that Marleau is not a game breaker or a superstar, but he's still really good, I'd say it'd go something like that

6.5M Marleau

5.5M Jokinen

4.5M Plekanec

4M Hejduk

4M Frolov

I'm not going to disagree about the $$ value for Pleks BUT I don't see Plekanec getting more then Frolov. Frolov has produced at a higher clip, more consistently, over his young career. He's also more of a "game breaker" (your words) then Plekanec.

I'm not going to disagree about the $$ value for Pleks BUT I don't see Plekanec getting more then Frolov. Frolov has produced at a higher clip, more consistently, over his young career. He's also more of a "game breaker" (your words) then Plekanec.

Frolov will be here next week anyhow. ;)

The issue isn't what Pleks is actually worth, it's what he THINKS he's worth. Right now he's among the league-leading C, something like 15th in terms of production. Gainey can raise legitimate arguments about his disastrous season last year, his pathetic playoff performances, and so forth - but dollars to dougnuts some dumbass GM will be more than happy to shill out $5-mil plus for Tomas Plekanec. Pleks knows that, his agent knows that, and Gainey knows that. So the real issue is whether Plekanec wants to stay here, or whether he is simply a mercenary like Komisarek and Souray. If he wants to stay here he might accept $4.5.. If not, see ya later. As I say, I'm not banking on his desire to retire in the :hlogo: and expect a Plekanec-less future going forward.

The issue isn't what Pleks is actually worth, it's what he THINKS he's worth. Right now he's among the league-leading C, something like 15th in terms of production. Gainey can raise legitimate arguments about his disastrous season last year, his pathetic playoff performances, and so forth - but dollars to dougnuts some dumbass GM will be more than happy to shill out $5-mil plus for Tomas Plekanec. Pleks knows that, his agent knows that, and Gainey knows that. So the real issue is whether Plekanec wants to stay here, or whether he is simply a mercenary like Komisarek and Souray. If he wants to stay here he might accept $4.5.. If not, see ya later. As I say, I'm not banking on his desire to retire in the :hlogo: and expect a Plekanec-less future going forward.

Totally agree. There WILL be some GM willing to pay $5M+ for Plex. Who would have though that Kovy would have got a TWO year $5M/yr deal after his drama last year??

Problem is Gainey should have signed Plex this past year and know this isn't hindsight on my part. Plex has always worked hard and has had confidence issues in the past. Gainey should have tried to sign him to a multi year deal. Since that ship has sailed, after Jan 1, he needs to sign Plex and find somebody dumber then himself to dump Gomez to. I said back in July that Gomez was a idiotic signing and got lambasted with my gainey is an idiot post for the way he manages his assets.

Well, unless we get rid of Gomez, we are looking at 5 years of being a team that has absolutely no chance of contending bcoz there is no way we are going to able to keep are other assets as long as we have a 40-55 point Gomez making $7.3M and a 50-55 point Gionta making $5M/yr.

You can't build a winner if you are going to give the salary that should be paid to a 80-85 or 70-75 point player to a 60 and 50 point players.

Totally agree. There WILL be some GM willing to pay $5M+ for Plex. Who would have though that Kovy would have got a TWO year $5M/yr deal after his drama last year??

Problem is Gainey should have signed Plex this past year and know this isn't hindsight on my part. Plex has always worked hard and has had confidence issues in the past. Gainey should have tried to sign him to a multi year deal. Since that ship has sailed, after Jan 1, he needs to sign Plex and find somebody dumber then himself to dump Gomez to. I said back in July that Gomez was a idiotic signing and got lambasted with my gainey is an idiot post for the way he manages his assets.

Well, unless we get rid of Gomez, we are looking at 5 years of being a team that has absolutely no chance of contending bcoz there is no way we are going to able to keep are other assets as long as we have a 40-55 point Gomez making $7.3M and a 50-55 point Gionta making $5M/yr.

You can't build a winner if you are going to give the salary that should be paid to a 80-85 or 70-75 point player to a 60 and 50 point players.

That is such garbage. It's december, and you drop that on us. The Gomez stuff is 5 months old. We all know he makes too much money. Absolutely no chance of contending? Calling Bob dumb? What a post...

That is such garbage. It's december, and you drop that on us. The Gomez stuff is 5 months old. We all know he makes too much money. Absolutely no chance of contending? Calling Bob dumb? What a post...

Umm, i said the same thing when Gomez was signed and was told, why don't we give Bob's signings a chance. I can post the same message 4 years from now and will be told, well, Bob's new 5 year plan isn't done yet :wacko::blink:

Umm, i said the same thing when Gomez was signed and was told, why don't we give Bob's signings a chance. I can post the same message 4 years from now and will be told, well, Bob's new 5 year plan isn't done yet :wacko::blink:

Ok, knock yourself out. Keep enlightening us on how much money Gomez is paid. I guess we've got 4 more years of the complaining.

Edited by Habsy

Ok, knock yourself out. Keep enlightening us on how much money Gomez is paid. I guess we've got 4 more years of the complaining.

Or at least until Bob or his replacement can find another dumb GM to unload his mistake to.

If you're looking at Gomez's salary and want him to be a superstar then that is on you. Most hockey fans with any common sense or hockey knowlege what gomez is, a 50-70 point guy when playing with good wingers. A solid leader and 2 way player, great speed and does alot of lilttle things to help the team win.

BG didn't offer him the money, he came with it. BG wanted to change the culture and bring in different talent, without Gomez, players would not have come.

Kovalev is is totally over paid, Briere, Campbell and others. Gomez is here, get over it.