Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If you're looking at Gomez's salary and want him to be a superstar then that is on you. Most hockey fans with any common sense or hockey knowlege what gomez is, a 50-70 point guy when playing with good wingers. A solid leader and 2 way player, great speed and does alot of lilttle things to help the team win.

BG didn't offer him the money, he came with it. BG wanted to change the culture and bring in different talent, without Gomez, players would not have come.

Kovalev is is totally over paid, Briere, Campbell and others. Gomez is here, get over it.

You've got it, bang on, so let's all move on. Or complain for 4 years, if that's your style.

With just about everyone back and healthy i beleive BG is right up against the cap now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a small deal or 2 to get some flexibility.

I am sure he'll give the team a month to gel to see where they are at befor emaking some major moves.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a defenseman and D'Agi moved shortly.

With just about everyone back and healthy i beleive BG is right up against the cap now. It wouldn't surprise me to see a small deal or 2 to get some flexibility.

I am sure he'll give the team a month to gel to see where they are at befor emaking some major moves.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a defenseman and D'Agi moved shortly.

Technically, we're back over the cap (Shameless plug: See the main page for details.) so there are moves to be made. I can't help but wonder if Sergei Kostitsyn will be farmed back out; if Pouliot plays with Gomez/Gionta, he becomes at best a 4th liner which means he's better suited in the minors. Pacioretty could go down as well too, though I expect D'Agostini will be moved at some point.

My opinion is that Gainey will surprise us. He will trade Halak with a few players. And the trade might be a big one.

Rumour is Carter/Boucher for Halak/Gill/Plekanec.

I would do that immediately, alas, it is a pipedream as 6'3" scoring centers are extinct in Montreal

Technically, we're back over the cap (Shameless plug: See the main page for details.) so there are moves to be made. I can't help but wonder if Sergei Kostitsyn will be farmed back out; if Pouliot plays with Gomez/Gionta, he becomes at best a 4th liner which means he's better suited in the minors. Pacioretty could go down as well too, though I expect D'Agostini will be moved at some point.

Can Sergei be farmed as readily as before? I thought after X amount of games, he would be subjected to waivers. Obviously, my memory has forgotten what X was, if it ever existed lol.

As for players that I think *deserve* to be farmed, it's Dags. Unfortunately, I doubt Bob is willing to risk losing him for nothing. I could see Patches being sent down for a spell.

I would do that immediately, alas, it is a pipedream as 6'3" scoring centers are extinct in Montreal

That would be fantastic, although I must admit I've grown attached in Gill in a short time.

where have you heard that rumour? Seems like a big overpay for the Flyers.

where have you heard that rumour? Seems like a big overpay for the Flyers.

Plekanec's handily outscoring Carter this season (and has a much better +/- on a worse team). Plekanec's production ties him with Paul Stastny, Carter's production ties him with ex-teammate RJ Umberger.

Plekanec's career numbers are:

2009-10 Montreal NHL 37 6 30 36 +5

2008-09 Montreal NHL 80 20 19 39 -9

2007-08 Montreal NHL 81 29 40 69 +15

2006-07 Montreal NHL 81 20 27 47 +10

2005-06 Montreal NHL 67 9 20 29 +4

Carter's career numbers are:

2009-10 Philadelphia NHL 34 12 14 26 -4

2008-09 Philadelphia NHL 82 46 38 84 +23

2007-08 Philadelphia NHL 82 29 24 53 +6

2006-07 Philadelphia NHL 62 14 23 37 -17

2005-06 Philadelphia NHL 81 23 19 42 +10

Basically, both of them have had one year where they appeared to be a legitimate first line centre (Plekanec could even be in his second) - but haven't proven themselves over time in that capacity. Both players have improved each season - except for Plekanec's 08-09 season, which must now be seen as nothing more than an off-year.

With Carter having another second-line calibre season (not to mention 1 point in his last 6 games) and Plekanec going a point per game, I can understand the reasoning. Both teams are able to sell high. If Philly gets a much-needed young goalie and a serviceable defenceman in the deal, that just may be enough to make it worth it for them.

That being said, from a habs's perspective, I would do that trade. Carter IS better than Plekanec. Yet I don't think it's such a massive downgrade. I don't believe Carter will be a consistent 46 goal/84 point scorer.

My opinion is that Gainey will surprise us. He will trade Halak with a few players. And the trade might be a big one.

I’m not so sure it will come as much of a surprise, but it is surely needed, both from a financial management standpoint and the acknowledged top (big)six winger the team has been searching for , what seems like forever.

The question is, if Sergei is part of any package will Andrei fall back to old AK as earlier this season and last season. Whenever Sergei is not playing with the habs Andrei is a disaster .

I think some or all of the following might be part of a package that will arrive too late change our playoff chances. Halak, D’Agostini, Sergei, and possibility Gorges (O’Byrne is our only RH d-man today) Gomez is not going anywhere BG went after him for a reason and he has NTC . . . “Scott Gomez, NYR - NTC [at the end of the each season Gomez gives the Rangers a list of 3 teams he will not accept a trade to]” It’s up to Gainey to find him the right, LW big player. As much as I would like it to happen, I don’t see Pouliot as the answer for this season.

My lineup would be;

( AK46 )- Gomez – Gionta

Cammalleri – Plekanec- (someone like Davork 6’2’ or Horton 6’2”)

Metropolit - B Pouliot- Moen

Bergeron- Lapierre – Laraque ( when needed)

Pouliot could take Pacioretty spot on the second line . . .if he is ready. However, he does play better as a centre.

Edited by v-hab

Obviously, Nathan Horton would look great on our team. Why would the Panthers even consider trading him? Any rumors about that? Or are we grabbing names off other teams that we like? This is the rumor thread, not the letter to Santa Clause thread.

Obviously, Nathan Horton would look great on our team. Why would the Panthers even consider trading him? Any rumors about that? Or are we grabbing names off other teams that we like? This is the rumor thread, not the letter to Santa Clause thread.

I simply have to follow my policy of not responding to your sarcastic remarks, as it appears other do also . Policing the posts of anyone and or everyone does not really give you Mod. Privileges. When you start reading news from other sources ( ie: Hockey News Etc. ) you will find the Horton rumor. I’m not going to do your work for you.

Some good advice to follow . . . If you don’t like the message, don’t read it, you will have a much more peaceful life. Noticed how I tied in ‘Peace’ with the season. And, it not even a rumor.

I simply have to follow my policy of not responding to your sarcastic remarks, as it appears other do also . Policing the posts of anyone and or everyone does not really give you Mod. Privileges. When you start reading news from other sources ( ie: Hockey News Etc. ) you will find the Horton rumor. I’m not going to do your work for you.

Some good advice to follow . . . If you don’t like the message, don’t read it, you will have a much more peaceful life. Noticed how I tied in ‘Peace’ with the season. And, it not even a rumor.

I think you took that way to personally. I don't recognize your name. I happen to like your line combo's. I don't even know what Mod privileges are, lol. If Nathan Horton is traded this year, I'll give you, v-habs, full props.

Plekanec's handily outscoring Carter this season (and has a much better +/- on a worse team). Plekanec's production ties him with Paul Stastny, Carter's production ties him with ex-teammate RJ Umberger.

Plekanec's career numbers are:

2009-10 Montreal NHL 37 6 30 36 +5

2008-09 Montreal NHL 80 20 19 39 -9

2007-08 Montreal NHL 81 29 40 69 +15

2006-07 Montreal NHL 81 20 27 47 +10

2005-06 Montreal NHL 67 9 20 29 +4

Carter's career numbers are:

2009-10 Philadelphia NHL 34 12 14 26 -4

2008-09 Philadelphia NHL 82 46 38 84 +23

2007-08 Philadelphia NHL 82 29 24 53 +6

2006-07 Philadelphia NHL 62 14 23 37 -17

2005-06 Philadelphia NHL 81 23 19 42 +10

Basically, both of them have had one year where they appeared to be a legitimate first line centre (Plekanec could even be in his second) - but haven't proven themselves over time in that capacity. Both players have improved each season - except for Plekanec's 08-09 season, which must now be seen as nothing more than an off-year.

With Carter having another second-line calibre season (not to mention 1 point in his last 6 games) and Plekanec going a point per game, I can understand the reasoning. Both teams are able to sell high. If Philly gets a much-needed young goalie and a serviceable defenceman in the deal, that just may be enough to make it worth it for them.

That being said, from a habs's perspective, I would do that trade. Carter IS better than Plekanec. Yet I don't think it's such a massive downgrade. I don't believe Carter will be a consistent 46 goal/84 point scorer.

I'd love to get Carter, but am scared of letting Pleks go. He really is showing himself to be one of the mot complete players in the game - great offensively, responsible defensively, PK, PP, he does it all and more importantly HE SHOWS UP EVERY GAME - which is what the habs have lacked the most this year. While we would gain a lot of size in Carter and FINALLY get a big centre (which we haven't had since Bobby Smith), I don't think Carter has the same work ethic as Pleks. I remember the first time I saw Pleks play live (after the lockout) in a game in Buffalo. The habs got spanked, but the two habs that impressed me with their work eithic were Pleks and Higgins.

I'd love if we could move Gionta (since the guy we NEED to move - Gomez is unmovable), Halak and a D-man for Carter. I really like our #1 line and would rather keep it intact and upgrade the offense on the other lines.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Can Sergei be farmed as readily as before? I thought after X amount of games, he would be subjected to waivers. Obviously, my memory has forgotten what X was, if it ever existed lol.

As for players that I think *deserve* to be farmed, it's Dags. Unfortunately, I doubt Bob is willing to risk losing him for nothing. I could see Patches being sent down for a spell.

As per HW's waiver chart, Sergei can be farmed until he plays Game 39 this season. If I'm not mistaken, tonight was Game 15 for him so he's good to go down for now.

does anyone REALLY want to let go of PLEKS??? Another great performence. not sure if anyone's noticed, but he has quietly moved into the top 10 in league scoring. When was the last time the habs had a 10 ten scorer???

If gainey doesn't sign pleks or doesn't get a VERY good return for him, he deserves to be FIRED!

This breakout season by Pleks has really complicated Bob's life I'm afraid. With the cap, I fear we can't afford him.

I hope this is not true, and I could add that Gainey complicated things himself by taking on huge contracts like Gomez' but I don't want to start down that road again . . .

Sign Plex now!

I hope this is not true, and I could add that Gainey complicated things himself by taking on huge contracts like Gomez' but I don't want to start down that road again . . .

Sign Plex now!

I say sign Plex and then do the same thing Gomez that Washington did with Nylander. Loan him out, waive him, just get rid of that salary. Plex is much more important to this team then Gomez.

When was the last time the habs had a player that was #8 in league scoring. BTW, thats ahead of elite centeres as Marleau, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Malkin (yeah, I know he was hurt and played 8 less games), as well as guys like Iginla and Heatley,.

Will he keep up the pace??? Not sure, but bottom line is that he is a guy who comes to play every night - even last year, effort was never an issue with Plex. It was his confidence that hurt him last year.

This year he is taking a beating and pick himself right back up and isn't backing down from anyone and unlike the $8M Gomez he is going hard to the net and not circling around the perimeter.

I'd say that the best player that Plex can be compared to is Jacque Lemaire. Smart all round centre who is responsible on both sides of the ice, and I think Plex is showing that he is an elite playmaker in the league.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

As per HW's waiver chart, Sergei can be farmed until he plays Game 39 this season. If I'm not mistaken, tonight was Game 15 for him so he's good to go down for now.

I'd rather send MaxPax down. Sergei is awseome on the PK and I think Gomez+SK+Poillet would be a better #2 line then having Dags trying to emulate Gomez as a dog.

Besides, if we sent sergei down again, when you have dead weight like Laraque taking up a roster spot and more cap space, it would really ensure that Sergei would never want to come back. Who knows what effect that may have on AK46 who is finally gotten things going and is playing with a lot of confidence.

I really think that MaxPax would benefit going down and getting some confidence scoring AND learning to protect himself better. He has taken so brutal hits with his head down.

I think if MaxPax doesn't get sent down now, we risk having him following the same path as Lats and Ribeiro who never needed the time in the minors but were rushed. He also needs to get confidence finishing othrwise, we run the risk of turning a top 6 forward prospect into a 3rd or 4th liner.

Yea, sending down 1 Pacioretty of 2 players (Moen) who actually play physical is a good idea.

Players playing worse then Pacioretty:

Lapierre

Laraque

D'Agi

I agree, but Pacioretty is the only one of those 4 that can be sent down without being subjected to waivers. It's basically between him and Sergei, and I tend to think that Patches could benefit from some time in the AHL. That's not to criticize his performance with the Habs, but to realize that he can get better, and playing for Boucher may help his development. At this point, I think Sergei is a more useful player in more situations, and should stick over Max.

Is losing D'agi really a loss?

Something has got to give. I think a few moves coming the beginning of January, A D-man will go. Why have 9 D? They all are prone to turnovers and soft paly.

At this point, no. But you hate to lose a potential asset for nothing. I don't have high hopes for Dags, but I don't think he's a lost cause.

Once (if?) everyone is healthy on D, there will definitely be changes.