Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

We all agree that Gomez is overpaid. But if you're ragging on him, that's because you haven't been paying attention to the playoffs. He has been AWESOME.

hey C.C.

NO ragging on the Gommer here, dude :blink:

I was one of the ones that agrees with the fact he is over paid but I was also one of the 1st ones that said he would be more prone to pay some one to wake him in a as opposed to him sitting on his PHAT contract. I would LOVE to be in his skates ^_^

AND totally he has been kicking a$$ in this playoffs.

I was just saing that for me: the cap space that NY Rags gained in the trade that was lost, made it all good for me.

Yes Jokinen is a good player but I would not have him on my Habs team even if the salary was less then 2 mil a yr. wich would a saving on Huggies too but I hope you know what I mean.

I like our Habs team, they show plenty grit and even if I am one of the ones that think less then a cup is a bad season... as a (true) fan of this team I can not hold ill to them IF they show up to play every night. And that is what they have been doing this whole playoffs.

GO! :hlogo: GO!

hey C.C.

NO ragging on the Gommer here, dude :blink:

I was one of the ones that agrees with the fact he is over paid but I was also one of the 1st ones that said he would be more prone to pay some one to wake him in a as opposed to him sitting on his PHAT contract. I would LOVE to be in his skates ^_^

AND totally he has been kicking a$$ in this playoffs.

I was just saing that for me: the cap space that NY Rags gained in the trade that was lost, made it all good for me.

Yes Jokinen is a good player but I would not have him on my Habs team even if the salary was less then 2 mil a yr. wich would a saving on Huggies too but I hope you know what I mean.

I like our Habs team, they show plenty grit and even if I am one of the ones that think less then a cup is a bad season... as a (true) fan of this team I can not hold ill to them IF they show up to play every night. And that is what they have been doing this whole playoffs.

GO! :hlogo: GO!

I don't think anybody on here believes that anything less than a Cup is a bad season, personally there is no difference to me if the Canadiens go 1 or 3 rounds if they eventually do not win.

I have lived by one rule since I began watching hockey, and it is this.

If the Canadiens win the Cup, it is a great season.

If the Canadiens don't win the Cup and neither do the Leafs, it is a good season.

If the Leafs win the Cup, it is a bad season.

The count in my lifetime is 6 great seasons and 30 good seasons. Not a bad one to be found :)

Mr.Pierre Gautier will have a lot of work to do over the summer with our defenceman. Firstly we must try to trade Hamrlik and if we can't then we buy him out. We musn't resign Paul Mara and definitely try to trade away Spacek. Now that will save us a whole lot of salary. Now with all that money we've saved we can sign Plekanec and Halak and still acquire a decent and reliable defenceman. As for Price let's all do him a big favor and trade him to a team preferably in the western conference. I believe that Price has good trading value and who knows maybe we can get great and promising defenceman in return!!!!! As for the Kostytsyn bros. it's very simple let's trade their ass for a good second or first line forward. If Pierre Gautier can do all of that and still remains under the salary cap he's got to be a genius!!!!!! :clap:

Edited by nikohab

Mr.Pierre Gautier will have a lot of work to do over the summer with our defenceman. Firstly we must try to trade Hamrlik and if we can't then we buy him out. We musn't resign Paul Mara and definitely try to trade away Spacek. Now that will save us a whole lot of salary. Now with all that money we've saved we can sign Plekanec and Halak and still acquire a decent and reliable defenceman. As for Price let's all do him a big favor and trade him to a team preferably in the western conference. I believe that Price has good trading value and who knows maybe we can get great and promising defenceman in return!!!!! As for the Kostytsyn bros. it's very simple let's trade their ass for a good second or first line forward. If Pierre Gautier can do all of that and still remains under the salary cap he's got to be a genius!!!!!! :clap:

If you trade Price, they need either a defenseman in college, the minors, junior or making less than $1M.

Why would you groom a goaltender for 5 years and deal him just before he blooms when he is making pennies compared to his

contemporaries.

The return has to be a monster prospect in return or it is senseless.

If you trade Price, they need either a defenseman in college, the minors, junior or making less than $1M.

Why would you groom a goaltender for 5 years and deal him just before he blooms when he is making pennies compared to his

contemporaries.

The return has to be a monster prospect in return or it is senseless.

The reason why it makes sense to trade Price and keep Halak is simply because Halak in my view has proven to be a #1 goalie and would stay in montreal if given a reasonable contract. As for Price I agree with you that we have invested plenty of time and money and that he may be around the corner and have a break out season next year. However let us consider that we traded Halak and kept Price and next year Price plays less than average? I can be 100% sure that the fans in montreal would boo him just as they already have on numerous occasions before, therefore what good would that do for Price and his confidence which has already taken a beating. Therefore as much as I respect Price and his future it would be better to trade for him and also free up some money and give the young kid a city where he can develope without all this pressure. :hockey:

The reason why it makes sense to trade Price and keep Halak is simply because Halak in my view has proven to be a #1 goalie and would stay in montreal if given a reasonable contract. As for Price I agree with you that we have invested plenty of time and money and that he may be around the corner and have a break out season next year. However let us consider that we traded Halak and kept Price and next year Price plays less than average? I can be 100% sure that the fans in montreal would boo him just as they already have on numerous occasions before, therefore what good would that do for Price and his confidence which has already taken a beating. Therefore as much as I respect Price and his future it would be better to trade for him and also free up some money and give the young kid a city where he can develope without all this pressure. :hockey:

The point is why do you trade Price at his lowest value to free up maybe $1M in cap space?

You sign both and if you really want to deal Price, you do it at the deadline or next summer and

hope he raises the level of his play.

You also provide yourself insurance on wether Halak can maintain this level of play next season.

Remember, Steve Penney had a great playoff in 1984 and by 1986 was gone. Jose Theodore won

the MVP and did exactly what Halak has done and only played 2.5 more seasons before he was traded.

What seems like an easy decision now can be flipped on it's head in 3 months in 2010-11.

You can't get tunnel vision and annoint Halak number 1, Price was handed the keys to the franchise

in 2008 after a first round where he posted 2 shutouts, had a 2.09 GAA and a .925 SV%.

Since then his playoff numbers have been 1-8 with a 3.99 GAA and a .875 SV%.

Things can change in a hurry. The league can figure out tendencies, goalies can suffer confidence issues etc.

If they were both due monster raises, then you would have to make a choice. That is not the case, Price

will get a minimal raise after a season in which he struggled. It doesn't make sense to put a gun to your own

head in this case.

The point is why do you trade Price at his lowest value to free up maybe $1M in cap space?

You sign both and if you really want to deal Price, you do it at the deadline or next summer and

hope he raises the level of his play.

You also provide yourself insurance on wether Halak can maintain this level of play next season.

Remember, Steve Penney had a great playoff in 1984 and by 1986 was gone. Jose Theodore won

the MVP and did exactly what Halak has done and only played 2.5 more seasons before he was traded.

What seems like an easy decision now can be flipped on it's head in 3 months in 2010-11.

You can't get tunnel vision and annoint Halak number 1, Price was handed the keys to the franchise

in 2008 after a first round where he posted 2 shutouts, had a 2.09 GAA and a .925 SV%.

Since then his playoff numbers have been 1-8 with a 3.99 GAA and a .875 SV%.

Things can change in a hurry. The league can figure out tendencies, goalies can suffer confidence issues etc.

If they were both due monster raises, then you would have to make a choice. That is not the case, Price

will get a minimal raise after a season in which he struggled. It doesn't make sense to put a gun to your own

head in this case.

The discussion is endless and circular. I can think of no scenario other than the 'monster return' one whereby it makes any sense to trade either goalie, at this juncture. Until they become UFAs the Habs have the cards. KEEP 'EM BOTH...for now.

The discussion is endless and circular. I can think of no scenario other than the 'monster return' one whereby it makes any sense to trade either goalie, at this juncture. Until they become UFAs the Habs have the cards. KEEP 'EM BOTH...for now.

I agree, keep both young goalies for all the reasons mentioned int these posts. One great playoff run does not make a great career. Enjoy the current efforts of Halak and let us not go nuts and get rid of Price just yet. Remember a guy by the name of Scotty Bowman? He is on record that Montreal should not trade Price at any cost. He is a pretty good hockey man and may know something in evaluating talent.

It's certain that there are no certainties with hockey players or with anything else for that matter. That's why I would hate to be in the shoes of the decision makers. However decisions have to be made and risks have to be taken. I would find it hard to be believe that Price would want to continue his career with montreal after all the abuse and pressure recieved from these fans or gutless bastards as Mr. Bob Gainey put it. This constant unfair treatment towards Price has only frustrated him and also affected his confidence on a grand scale. I remember the match played against carolina where Price had a less than average performance and was ridiculed and bood that entire game. After that game I also remember Cam Ward addressing the situation with the media and trying to support Price and restore his confidence. shame on these gutless bastards because we may very much loose Price or perhaps have already lost him to another city and organization that will embrace him and support him. :angry:

It's certain that there are no certainties with hockey players or with anything else for that matter. That's why I would hate to be in the shoes of the decision makers. However decisions have to be made and risks have to be taken. I would find it hard to be believe that Price would want to continue his career with montreal after all the abuse and pressure recieved from these fans or gutless bastards as Mr. Bob Gainey put it. This constant unfair treatment towards Price has only frustrated him and also affected his confidence on a grand scale. I remember the match played against carolina where Price had a less than average performance and was ridiculed and bood that entire game. After that game I also remember Cam Ward addressing the situation with the media and trying to support Price and restore his confidence. shame on these gutless bastards because we may very much loose Price or perhaps have already lost him to another city and organization that will embrace him and support him. :angry:

Maybe Price has been destroyed by the media and fanbase, but there is more to be lost in dealing

him at his lowest point and have him come back to haunt you then to have him flame out and become

a backup.

No team is going to offer up an elite package that does not involve a player of risk coming back.

The Canadiens need to worry about themselves first and foremost. Price has no reason to be angry

with them, they have done nothing but support him, probably to his own detriment.

Like CC says, this circular discussion is senseless. Anybody who suggests the Price should be dealt this summer

is just not doing their homework. It makes zero sense to give up on a kid that you invested 5 years in, it makes

zero sense to put all your eggs in Halak's basket after 1 season as the starter and it makes zero sense when

you look at their cap situation.

You keep both and worry about it when Price gets arbitration rights. At that point you will find out if Halak was able

to duplicate his strong 2010 and you see if Price is able to get over the hump. THere is no other plausible scenario

that does not involve panic and major risk.

I absolutely want to keep Carey Price. Local media is saying he's working hard in practice, doing all the right things. The problem, as I see it, is were going to lose Plex this summer. It's just a how I feel. As a result, in an effort to replace our second line center, we may have to trade a great young player like Carey.

Edited by Habsy

I absolutely want to keep Carey Price. Local media is saying he's working hard in practice, doing all the right things. The problem, as I see it, is were going to lose Plex this summer. It's just a how I feel. As a result, in an effort to replace our second line center, we may have to trade a great young player like Carey.

How does that replace Plekanec though?

We are talking about moving $1.5-2M in salary. Even if you get a player back, it will be somebody who is not ready for 1st or 2nd line duty.

Certainly nobody who can carry a team.

Pleks is going nowhere. They will deal Hammer and the Kostys to assure he stays. If nobody takes Hammer, they will buy him out at $1.375 per season over 2 years.

Their lack of center depth has assured that they will overpay to keep Pleks, if not they will not make the playoffs next season.

Edited by Wamsley01

How does that replace Plekanec though?

We are talking about moving $1.5-2M in salary. Even if you get a player back, it will be somebody who is not ready for 1st or 2nd line duty.

Certainly nobody who can carry a team.

Pleks is going nowhere. They will deal Hammer and the Kostys to assure he stays. If nobody takes Hammer, they will buy him out at $1.375 per season over 2 years.

Their lack of center depth has assured that they will overpay to keep Pleks, if not they will not make the playoffs next season.

Ok, but the idea of giving Plex 25 million, over 5 years, which he'll probably get this summer, scares me. That's over 12 million per season, for our top two centers. And Plex is not getting it done, and looks even smaller than usual, when the going get's tough. At some point, they're going to have to address the small forward issue. I think he recorded one shot, and one hit yesterday, that's it.

Ok, but the idea of giving Plex 25 million, over 5 years, which he'll probably get this summer, scares me. That's over 12 million per season, for our top two centers. And Plex is not getting it done, and looks even smaller than usual, when the going get's tough. At some point, they're going to have to address the small forward issue. I think he recorded one shot, and one hit yesterday, that's it.

It is a problem, but there is no real solution but to overpay him. If he leaves there is nothing to

replace him from within for a reasonable price.

Maybe Price has been destroyed by the media and fanbase, but there is more to be lost in dealing

him at his lowest point and have him come back to haunt you then to have him flame out and become

a backup.

No team is going to offer up an elite package that does not involve a player of risk coming back.

The Canadiens need to worry about themselves first and foremost. Price has no reason to be angry

with them, they have done nothing but support him, probably to his own detriment.

Like CC says, this circular discussion is senseless. Anybody who suggests the Price should be dealt this summer

is just not doing their homework. It makes zero sense to give up on a kid that you invested 5 years in, it makes

zero sense to put all your eggs in Halak's basket after 1 season as the starter and it makes zero sense

when

you look at their cap situation.

You keep both and worry about it when Price gets arbitration rights. At that point you will find out if Halak was able

to duplicate his strong 2010 and you see if Price is able to get over the hump. THere is no other plausible scenario

that does not involve panic and major risk.

I agree with you that regardless if Price still wants to play here or not we must be careful with how the situatuion is handled and if we need to trade him at least to get the best return possible rather than a bag of pucks

This is going to be a problem no matter who we sign as a #2 center. We have Gomez on our team. His contract is horrible. Deal with it.

If you're going to keep a guy like that on your team, you are going to have cap difficulties. We can't let that contract ruin our game plan. If Plekanec is the guy we want, sign him. Letting him go is barely an option. We have nobody to replace him.

This is going to be a problem no matter who we sign as a #2 center. We have Gomez on our team. His contract is horrible. Deal with it.

If you're going to keep a guy like that on your team, you are going to have cap difficulties. We can't let that contract ruin our game plan. If Plekanec is the guy we want, sign him. Letting him go is barely an option. We have nobody to replace him.

Yep, I have done my share of complaining about Gomez's contract, but it's not going anywhere

so you can't not sign other players because of that $7M.

You just have to look at the cap as $49M for the rest of the team and ignore Gomers deal.

That was basically where I was going with my point. I've dealt with the Gomez deal, it's not an issure for me, he's here to stay. My question is, do we want Plek, at that kind of money? Maybe it's time to try to get bigger with that money.

That was basically where I was going with my point. I've dealt with the Gomez deal, it's not an issure for me, he's here to stay. My question is, do we want Plek, at that kind of money? Maybe it's time to try to get bigger with that money.

Could be a good time for an ultra rare sign and trade x2..... What could Plex and Halak get us at the draft?

Well as well as they are doing in the playoffs so far they still need some size and grit. I am one who thinks they should not resign Pleks. Trade his rights, sign and trade whatever.

My opinion they need 2 top 6 guys. 2 LW's or 1 center and 1 LW. Pouliot is a naturla center. May be worth a look there if they can get 2 good LW's.

How can they get them, move a goalie, Pleks, the Kosty bro's, Hamrlik It can be done.

ASAP i call Philly and offer a goalie plus for Carter or JVR.

I call and see what i can get for a 2 for 1 on the kosty bros.

I am fine with Moore, Pyatt and Moen as a checking line.

Which leaves Lapierre White and a LW position open. I go after a Torres type player, Shelley is out there. They dop need someone to fight.

The D i think will be

O'Byrne Markov

Subban Spacek

Gorges Gill

I am ok with MAB as # 7 or 13th forward.

I am fine with either goalie staying

I don't think anybody on here believes that anything less than a Cup is a bad season, personally there is no difference to me if the Canadiens go 1 or 3 rounds if they eventually do not win.

I have lived by one rule since I began watching hockey, and it is this.

If the Canadiens win the Cup, it is a great season.

If the Canadiens don't win the Cup and neither do the Leafs, it is a good season.

If the Leafs win the Cup, it is a bad season.

The count in my lifetime is 6 great seasons and 30 good seasons. Not a bad one to be found :)

WOW!! I like your rule :clap:

I think I will re-eval what a great, good and bad season is thanks to your out look :)

Have a great game 4 win celebration day, and may the dent in your couch for game 5 be as comfy as at the end of game 4 Sir Wamsley01 (I am hoping you were on it like me, I know Tom Cruise is a :wacko: but that reaction was very fitting for me after G4 :blink: ) :lol:

Is anyone else considering kicking the tires on Colby Armstrong? He is gritty and would look pretty good in our top six.

I think there are worse options out there, but I doubt we can afford him next year.