Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

And why is that?

Based on 2010? You are devaluing him after a poor season? He didn't even have that poor of a season in relation

to his age bracket.

2 seasons ago he was listed on Future Watch as the best prospect in hockey. Goaltenders don't mature until 23-27.

You are devaluing everything he accomplished before 2009/10.

This is how people are fooled into bad trades.

I dont think there is a goalie in the nhl that TB would move Stamkos for .....can u say the same about price or halak.....Goaltenders dont seem like they get much on the trade table...

Price has serious value but he's not in the same ballpark as Stamkos or Hedman.

Id say he is in the same ballpark as Hedman. But I think Hedman is more important to tampa than a goalie is at the moment.

Eklund

* Versteeg and Sharp are in danger of being moved. The Hawks are talking to Montreal and Florida

I don't see where we would fit either of them. Sharp has two more years at 3.9 mil cap hit and his numbers are close to AK's. No question that the hawks want to get rid of them though.

Edit: Sharp actually had 66 points this year.

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

Well, I can see the argument for trading Price for a Carter or a Giroulx. The logic is that this core has a 3-4 year window and that, if we can add an impact top-6 forward in addition to Subban - and assuming that Pouliot and/or Pacioretty come along, Markov isn't continually injured, and Halak doesn't regress - we'd have a real chance of contending in that span. The downside is that you end up dealing away a player who could become the equivalent of Roberto Luongo over the next decade. Nonetheless, you can't just keep deferring gratification forever; I'd be prepared to live with either deal assuming that somehow the cap effects could be made to work.

What I worry about is that Price will be dealt away in order to replace Plekanec, or that we'll paste over the loss of Pleks with a second-rate substitute (Lombardi, Koivu) while trading Price for a Carter or equivalent and calling that an 'upgrade.' These would be lateral moves that have the net effect of trading away Price to keep the team standing still.

If we acquire Sharp - and there have been rumours for some time, so we probably are in fact sniffing around - it will be to replace Andrei Kostitsyn, who I'd expect to see moved shortly thereafter.

If I were Gauthier, I would still be pushing Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal and I still don't see why the Kostityns would be of no interest as part of a package to Pittsburgh, who desperately need wingers. But I'm probably falling into Fanboy Fantasyland here.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

And why is that?

Based on 2010? You are devaluing him after a poor season? He didn't even have that poor of a season in relation

to his age bracket.

2 seasons ago he was listed on Future Watch as the best prospect in hockey. Goaltenders don't mature until 23-27.

You are devaluing everything he accomplished before 2009/10.

This is how people are fooled into bad trades.

Umm, Stamkos scored 51 goals in his second season in the NHL. Would YOU trade him for Price? Even if Price hadn't faltered the last two years, it's still a dumb trade for TB. If you have a 20 year old who can score 51 goals and 95 points, you don't trade him for anything. He is your franchise.

Edited by ForumGhost

Well, I can see the argument for trading Price for a Carter or a Giroulx. The logic is that this core has a 3-4 year window and that, if we can add an impact top-6 forward in addition to Subban - and assuming that Pouliot and/or Pacioretty come along, Markov isn't continually injured, and Halak doesn't regress - we'd have a real chance of contending in that span. The downside is that you end up dealing away a player who could become the equivalent of Roberto Luongo over the next decade. Nonetheless, you can't just keep deferring gratification forever; I'd be prepared to live with either deal assuming that somehow the cap effects could be made to work.

What I worry about is that Price will be dealt away in order to replace Plekanec, or that we'll paste over the loss of Pleks with a second-rate substitute (Lombardi, Koivu) while trading Price for a Carter or equivalent and calling that an 'upgrade.' These would be lateral moves that have the net effect of trading away Price to keep the team standing still.

There ya go. For my part, I must admit that I think Halak played over his head and that we saw the very best of him last season. I think his post season performances were WAY over his head.

Umm, Stamkos scored 51 goals in his second season in the NHL. Would YOU trade him for Price? Even if Price hadn't faltered the last two years, it's still a dumb trade for TB. If you have a 20 year old who can score 51 goals and 95 points, you don't trade him for anything. He is your franchise.

I agree, unless we trade our 10 next 1st round picks we wont get Stamkos out of TB.

Chris' point isn't that Stamkos is the only return that's acceptable for Price (that Price=Stamkos), it's just that Stevie Y is looking to poach Price off us for a song, and Gauthier should tell him he won't get him for cheap.

Price is less valuable than guys like Stamkos and Hedman, but we are talking a guy with franchise changing potential here not unlike those guys.

Plekanek to Calgary (e4) according to Eklund lol

e4? according to Eklund that's pretty much a done deal.... but thats in Lala land...

What e4 really means is that he has a source that says Gauthier has been discussing with Calgary, presently or in the past, about something or another... This might have been one of many GMs before he opted to deal halak to the Blues. wonder what the Flames were offering?

I wonder what PG could get from Calgary for the rights to Pleks? Not much, maybe a 3rd rounder?

i think plexs is leaving so i would take it.....i think we are going for a big name winger

If Pleks is leaving, I think that Marleau should be target number 1. Maybe Jokinen will take a smaller, 4 mil or less contract since his value has drastically decreased since he left Florida.

Edited by ForumGhost

If Pleks is leaving, I think that Marleau should be target number 1. Maybe Jokinen will take a smaller, 4 mil or less contract since his value has drastically decreased since he left Florida.

Jokinen is the big wildcard as he played for the Panthers while Martin was there. If Jacques liked him, he may be the guy. That being said, after a season like he just had, his value is at max $3 mil...hey, that fits in reasonable well cap wise actually.

As for the earlier poster who inquired about what the Habs could fetch from Calgary, a 3rd as already noted I think would be the max they'd get for him. Bouwmeester fetched a 3rd and a pending UFA to negotiate with (Leopold), Plekanec wouldn't fetch more than that I don't think regardless of where his rights were dealt to.

Jokinen is the big wildcard as he played for the Panthers while Martin was there. If Jacques liked him, he may be the guy. That being said, after a season like he just had, his value is at max $3 mil...hey, that fits in reasonable well cap wise actually.

As for the earlier poster who inquired about what the Habs could fetch from Calgary, a 3rd as already noted I think would be the max they'd get for him. Bouwmeester fetched a 3rd and a pending UFA to negotiate with (Leopold), Plekanec wouldn't fetch more than that I don't think regardless of where his rights were dealt to.

He had 50 points this season. Seeing as he's not far removed from a string of really respectable seasons, I think 3 million is the minimum for Jokinen.

At any rate, I'd rather give Plekanec his 5 million.

He had 50 points this season. Seeing as he's not far removed from a string of really respectable seasons, I think 3 million is the minimum for Jokinen.

At any rate, I'd rather give Plekanec his 5 million.

Meh, they both had pretty much the same effect in the playoffs last year, we might as well go for the cheaper, bigger guy. I appreciate what Plek did for us in the regular season, and defensively in the playoffs but his point totals in the second and third round were really concerning. Marleau is obviously the number one guy on everyone's list, but Jokinen could probably be seen as a sort of Marleau light.

I do not think the Habs will pursue Marleau. Not with that cap hit and with Eller clearly pencilled in as a future #2 C. If we have to replace Pleks it will be with a moderately-priced option who doesn't need to be signed to a really long-term deal. I therefore agree that Jokinen is a very interesting possibility given the history (and success) with Martin, and could conceivably be had more cheaply than Pleks by maybe $1-1.5 mil. (Keep in mind that Plekanec will quite likely bag grossly inflated dollars given his status as Top UFA C Available. Meanwhile, Jokinen's value may be artifically low).

The Habs still desperately need an upgrade on the wings, and it would not surprise me at all if Gauthier decides to let Pleks walk and rolls the dice on a Plan B (Jokinen) or C (Lombardi) at centre while trying to translate the money saved between Halak and Pleks into an upgrade there.

All bets are off, in other words. By moving Halak Gauthier made, to me anyway, a HUGE statement. He's a big picture guy prepared to be ruthless in a cap system, and the players are all moveable parts.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

i really starting to think we are going to makea move for F Ilya Kovalchuk, i think we well trade plexs rights, trade the Kostitsyns and with trading halak we might make it work...

Gionta - Gomez -Pouliot

Cammy-Eller-Kovalchuk

Pacioretty- Moore -Moen

Pyatt -lapierre -White.

we trade plexs rights for a 3rd pick, trade A Kostitsyns for a # 2 pick or youngest...move s Kostitsyn for 6 round pick....

Edited by KEEP26

There've been rumours about Frolov for a long time. I would like to see that happen. Imagine Jokinen for 3.75M and Frolov for 4M instead of Plekanec, Moore, SK.

It would definitely fill out the forward lines nicely.

Frolov-Gomez-Gionta

Cammelleri-Jokinen-Kostitsyn

Pouliot-Eller-Lapierre

Pyatt-White-Moen

That's clearly an improvement on last season, even if you replace Jokinen with Lombardi.