Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Eklund says he was told that the Habs are putting together an offer sheet for Ryan. Imagine... :)

If the Habs swing a deal with the Panthers to get their 2nd back, then I'd start wondering. Until then, probably not even worth thinking about.

If the Habs swing a deal with the Panthers to get their 2nd back, then I'd start wondering. Until then, probably not even worth thinking about.

I agree. Ryan would cost $6M/year and there's no way they have the room for that, the draft picks necessary AND have the flexibility to sign Price to an extension. Even if they could trade Kosty for picks or bury Hamrlik in the minors, that leaves us dangerously close against the cap and short one veteran d-man.

Screw offer sheets, they never work. Just ask Brian Burke and Kevin Lowe.

Edited by JGC21

More Gagne rumblings:

A league source told the Daily Times that he expected the Kings to get serious about Gagne and would be surprised if they stayed out of it. That source also indicated that among the teams that expressed interest to Sauve are Tampa Bay, Dallas and Montreal.

http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2010/07...29369763188.txt

Esce que ca sera un échange avec Montréal, Toronto ou Los angeles. Lundi nous aurons la réponse et il nous est permis de rêver.

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/43250/posts/81202

There's no doubt that Gagne will be dealt, but I find it hard to believe to Montreal as is suggested above. Toronto's the darkhorse as if Gagne's waived (if Philly doesn't like the thought of acquiring more $$$), Toronto's likely to claim him. Still, some speculation on a quiet Sunday.

Eklund says he was told that the Habs are putting together an offer sheet for Ryan. Imagine... :)

Yeap once again, Eggplant has been out under the sun too long!

from the NHL forum

Someone please give me other reasons regarding...

why is it that its been well over a year now that the Flyers have been trying to trade Simon Gagné?

potentially other reasons that don't lead to the conclusion that Gagné is never gonna be 100% healthy

For a while it was Briere they were trying to get rid of... now its Gagné as if he had the plague

and what else bugs me is why isn't the french media mentioning anything about taking on Gagné... its as if they also know Gagné's probably with career ending injuries but its all hush cause he's from Quebec...

Had it been another non francophone player they would be writing about why have the Flyers had so much trouble trading him

...and remember I"m francophone lol

I hope we trade AK before the season starts..I dont like the guy at all..I know he as skill but i dont think he fits in to this team..

If we keep him for the season i think a couple bad things might happen...he could suck again and lose all value, HE could light it up and then we would have to over pay for one good season and making him hard to move because as we seen this year no one whats to take on cap..

I think teams might take a chane on him later in the summer...

So now that Markov is a Canadian citizen can he play for team Canada?

Nope. Once you play for a country in an international tournament, you're locked in with that nation*. Besides, Markov speaks glowingly of Russia, I can't see him wanting to leave playing for that team immediately.

* - There are some exceptions (Nabokov who's Kazakh but plays for Russia and Paul DiPietro who is Canadian but plays for the Swiss) but 99% of the time, that's the rule.

A lot of USSR era players had new options given to them in the 90's, but that's since passed. Markov is for Russia internationally. He's just a dual citizen now.

The last country changeover, other than all the Canadians who play for Germany, Switzerland or Italy after living there for a long time, was Dainus Zubrus who is from Lithuania, played for Russia at the World Cup in 2004, then suited up for Lithuania a few months later at a lower World Championship tournament. He says he'll never play for Russia again, he's a Lithuanian (the only Lithuanian NHLer) until he retires. Like I said, USSR born players are given a bit more leeway.

DiPietro and Hnat Dominecelli both played for Canada internationally, but sought permission from Hockey Canada to suit up for Switzerland later in their careers. There's an informal exipry date on those players. Somehow, though, I don't think Hockey Canada will let Tyler Myers switch to playing for the USA later in his career, though.

Nope. Once you play for a country in an international tournament, you're locked in with that nation*. Besides, Markov speaks glowingly of Russia, I can't see him wanting to leave playing for that team immediately.

* - There are some exceptions (Nabokov who's Kazakh but plays for Russia and Paul DiPietro who is Canadian but plays for the Swiss) but 99% of the time, that's the rule.

What about Petr Nedved? He played for Canada in the 94 olympics (which the swedish team won YAY)... Then he played for Czech republic in the world cup of 1996. Or does this have to do with the split of old Czechoslovakia? (that country is hard to spell... dont know if I did it right :D)

What about Petr Nedved? He played for Canada in the 94 olympics (which the swedish team won YAY)... Then he played for Czech republic in the world cup of 1996. Or does this have to do with the split of old Czechoslovakia? (that country is hard to spell... dont know if I did it right :D)

As I noted, that's the rule 99% of the time. In Nedved's case, I'd only be speculating - perhaps the rule has changed since the mid 90's? Canada has also allowed players to suit up for other countries, DiPietro and Domenichelli as noted earlier. In any case, Markov has said he'll still play for Russia.

As I noted, that's the rule 99% of the time. In Nedved's case, I'd only be speculating - perhaps the rule has changed since the mid 90's? Canada has also allowed players to suit up for other countries, DiPietro and Domenichelli as noted earlier. In any case, Markov has said he'll still play for Russia.

He defected (as in renounced his citizenship) from a Communist country (Czechoslovakia) to become a Canadian citizen. When the Czech Republic became a democracy, he went back to the Czechs.

If Markov renounced his Russian citizenship, he might be allowed to play for Canada (I don't honestly know), but why the heck would he do that?

According to multiple sources the Canadiens are closing in on a possible trade that would bring Kevin Bieksa to Montreal, and send back a "significant" forward prospect.

One source: "The Canadiens are trying to insure against Markov injuries which have hindered them late in the season for a few seasons now. They believe they have the young players coming on D, but experienced puck-moving guys are lacking." Of course, Tomas Kaberle is out there, but the Leafs and Habs trading together is not likely.

Another: "The Canucks were disappointed with Bieska in the playoffs, especially in his inability to make solid decisions and follow game plans."

And another: "The Canucks have a prospect in mind, and still have interest in clearing space to pick up a UFA."

Bieksa has 1 year at $3.75 M left and will be a UFA afterwards. He struggled last year at both ends but still managed 22 points in 55 games. He'd be a nice 2nd pairing player, but the Habs can't take on his cap hit without sending a roster player back...unless Price is willing to sign for under $1 M (and that's not happening). Vancouver's right up at the cap as well, which makes this tougher.

Bieksa has worn out Vancouver fans with his injuries, erratic defensive zone play and occasional dumb penalties. But he's a mean SOB and can deliver the goods. I think he'd make a very nice addition to our blueline and might be an opportunity to acquire a #4 defenceman when his value is perhaps artifically low. You're right about the cap problems both ways, though. Doesn't seem likely.

Does that sound like AK is the prospect they are talking about? I don't see our need is at D, unless we can move Spacey or Hammer. I'd hate Bieksa to come in and take minutes from Ob, Gorges or Subban.

Does that sound like AK is the prospect they are talking about? I don't see our need is at D, unless we can move Spacey or Hammer. I'd hate Bieksa to come in and take minutes from Ob, Gorges or Subban.

AK is an established player, not a prospect. The same is true of Gorges. OB may be another story. If I were the Habs I'd be pitching Desharnais to the Canucks. The Canuckleheads need secondary offence. But they probably want Pacioretty.

I tend to believe this rumour because of the Brent Burns rumours that surfaced a while back. You can see a thread here - the Habs snooping around for big strong defencemen who may have become undervalued due to injury and other problems.

AK is an established player, not a prospect. The same is true of Gorges. OB may be another story. If I were the Habs I'd be pitching Desharnais to the Canucks. The Canuckleheads need secondary offence. But they probably want Pacioretty.

I tend to believe this rumour because of the Brent Burns rumours that surfaced a while back. You can see a thread here - the Habs snooping around for big strong defencemen who may have become undervalued due to injury and other problems.

Not to mention that these guys can also skate somewhat, something our D is sorely lacking.

STARTING to? You haven't been paying attention my friend :lol: In terms of fan logic, this is Leafs West.

uuuu... I will agree with ya... but dont let my fellow vancouverites hear that