Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

???

Boyd makes $650k and is a centre. The two signings are completely unrelated. If Boyd isn't signed, someone has to play his spot anyways.

If we didn't sign Boyd we would still have Gomez, Plek, Eller and Laps. The Boyd signing just gives us more depth down the middle and the option to move Laps to the wing where he had more success last year.

???

Boyd makes $650k and is a centre. The two signings are completely unrelated. If Boyd isn't signed, someone has to play his spot anyways.

Not related but they all count under the same salary cap.

650K may have made the difference (depends on Price's contract, of course).

If you add Frolov to the top 6, people get bumped down a spot. Sure, we lose someone that can take face offs but I'd much rather have the scoring depth.

Not related but they all count under the same salary cap.

650K may have made the difference (depends on Price's contract, of course).

If you add Frolov to the top 6, people get bumped down a spot. Sure, we lose someone that can take face offs but I'd much rather have the scoring depth.

650k is a maximum difference of 150k on a roster spot. Frolov coming here didn't hinge on Boyd. My point is someone would've had Boyd's spot in any scenario, Frolov or no Frolov. Boyd is cheaper than Lapierre, Eller, Maxwell, etc., so in a way he actually enables us to sign better top end players.

Not getting Frolov had more to do with Pouliot's $1.35m salary and Eller's similar salary, as well as Kostitsyn's $3.25m. And, of course, Plekanec's $5m salary.

If this is true, this would make me sick.

http://www.puckmeplease.com/nhl-rumors/113...a-montreal.html

Tinordi for Bieska..... why?

Why? Because they've got to write about something, despite it having no legs whatsoever. That rumour popped up months ago, and I'm not sure why it's resurfaced. That trade only works if Price signs for $1M.

Not gonna happen.

Why? Because they've got to write about something, despite it having no legs whatsoever. That rumour popped up months ago, and I'm not sure why it's resurfaced. That trade only works if Price signs for $1M.

Not gonna happen.

Anytime somebody floats a rumour that makes zero salary cap sense without quantifying who would alleviate the salary cap problem, move onto the next article.

Can't teams start the season 10% over the cap as long as they're under at the end? Or am I mis-informed?

Nope. They can be 10% over during the off-season only. Oct. 1 they must be cap compliant or else they start forfeiting games.

Yes, given our dismal lack of 1 1/2 top-6 forwards, it'd be worth taking a flyer on a guy like that. But there's that darned cap to think about.

Might even be worth digging up some guy in need of rehabilitation and throwing him into the mix at cut rates. Some guy like Satan was for the Pens a couple of seasons ago.

Bill Guerin as a candidate for a cheap guy with a plausible claim to being able to do some time on the top 6?

http://aa.habsaddict.com/2010/08/one-minor-change.html

I think Guerin might be a good move if he can fit under the cap. Even if he gives us only 20 games of top-6-calibre performance, that's 20 more games than we'd have otherwise. Could be a useful acquisition - ?

Bill Guerin as a candidate for a cheap guy with a plausible claim to being able to do some time on the top 6?

http://aa.habsaddict.com/2010/08/one-minor-change.html

I think Guerin might be a good move if he can fit under the cap. Even if he gives us only 20 games of top-6-calibre performance, that's 20 more games than we'd have otherwise. Could be a useful acquisition - ?

If we could fit him under the cap, I think he'd be a great addition. My only concern would be that he'd take away too much time from the kids, who could benefit from some minutes this year to develop some confidence and skills for the future.

If we could fit him under the cap, I think he'd be a great addition. My only concern would be that he'd take away too much time from the kids, who could benefit from some minutes this year to develop some confidence and skills for the future.

Yeah, I thought of that. Part of the problem is that Guerin is a RW - meaning that, unless he can play on the left side as well, or one of our other RW can do that effectively, he doesn't really address our real glaring weakness in the top 6, which is at LW. But if he or one of our other good RW CAN play LW effectively, then I think Guerin would be a very useful addition as a platoon guy for the top-6, spelling off Pouliot or Kostitsyn when one of them hits their inevitable protracted slump. Right now we are basically gambling on either Kosty or Pouliot (preferably both) to morph into reliable top-6ers. We have no other obvious young players who are contenders for a top-6 slot. So it's all well and good to put your faith in young players, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with those odds. If you add a guy like Guerin who can be a credible option in the top-6 for a decent chunk of the season, if not an entire season, you increase the odds of us having two good scoring lines on a regular basis.

Yeah, I thought of that. Part of the problem is that Guerin is a RW - meaning that, unless he can play on the left side as well, or one of our other RW can do that effectively, he doesn't really address our real glaring weakness in the top 6, which is at LW. But if he or one of our other good RW CAN play LW effectively, then I think Guerin would be a very useful addition as a platoon guy for the top-6, spelling off Pouliot or Kostitsyn when one of them hits their inevitable protracted slump. Right now we are basically gambling on either Kosty or Pouliot (preferably both) to morph into reliable top-6ers. We have no other obvious young players who are contenders for a top-6 slot. So it's all well and good to put your faith in young players, but I'm a bit uncomfortable with those odds. If you add a guy like Guerin who can be a credible option in the top-6 for a decent chunk of the season, if not an entire season, you increase the odds of us having two good scoring lines on a regular basis.

i was really hoping we would of pick up Raffi Torres- LW, for 1mil he would of been a useful player

Rather than picking up a player we should have dumped a player such as Kosty and use the 3.5 million dollars for other needed purposes. Although he has his hot spells he is overall inconsistent and gets brain dead during the most crucial games. My prediction is that he will be a bust this year and will be sent packing to another team. What beats me is why couldn't they have seen it sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

Rather than picking up a player we should have dumped a player such as Kosty and use the 3.5 million dollars for other needed purposes. Although he has his hot spells he is overall inconsistent and gets brain dead during the most crucial games. My prediction is that he will be a bust this year and will be sent packing to another team. What beats me is why couldn't they have seen it sooner rather than later. :rolleyes:

I agree that we could have probably benefited from that extra $3.25M, but selling a player at his lowest value is bad business (especially when he's still RFA after his contract expires). I'm in the camp that Kosty will rebound this season without his brother around.

I really don't think I've seen a positive post from you regarding the Habs since you've signed up.

I really don't think I've seen a positive post from you regarding the Habs since you've signed up.

Thank's for being blunt regarding my posts and I do agree with you. The truth is that I've been reading too much of Red Fisher or the Team 990. I'm extremely proud of the teams accomplishements during the post season. This team proved that there is a lot of character players on it's roster and that it doesn't fall short of leadership. I have to confess that I wasn't optimistic that they could beat teams such as washington or pittsburgh but when they did I felt sad because I've betrayed my confidence. There was a time when I had faith that our team could win under any circumstance. I beleive that it' time to redeem my soul and take a stand for my team win or lose. Thanks for your post.

I'd take Guerin as a 3rd line RW. We're thin on RW beyond our top 6. If his legs can still keep up, I think putting him with a couple of younger kids like Eller and Pouliot on the 3rd line against weaker competition could be a great combo.

The forward slot by Gomez and Gionta is still an issue, but even placeholders like Moen, Lapierre, Darche or Pyatt could suffice, or maybe Pacioretty.

I see no reason not to start Pouliot next to Gomez and Gionta. They had amazing chemistry all regular season last year.

+1

The habs have to sink or swim with the kids this year. Pouliot and Eller have to be given a chance to be front line players and this is really AK46's last chance to prove he can be a consistent top 6 guy IN montreal. that's not going to happen with a 41 year old Guerin unless they pick him up cheap for the third line. But given what he is going to cost, i would have preferred that the habs hung on to Moore then sign a 41 year old who only managed 20 goals and 45 points playing on a stacked Penguins team.

+1

The habs have to sink or swim with the kids this year. Pouliot and Eller have to be given a chance to be front line players and this is really AK46's last chance to prove he can be a consistent top 6 guy IN montreal. that's not going to happen with a 41 year old Guerin unless they pick him up cheap for the third line. But given what he is going to cost, i would have preferred that the habs hung on to Moore then sign a 41 year old who only managed 20 goals and 45 points playing on a stacked Penguins team.

We don't need an aging centre, we already have 5 young centres we can go with. What we do need is a big winger who can use his body and go into the tough areas of the ice.

We don't need an aging centre, we already have 5 young centres we can go with. What we do need is a big winger who can use his body and go into the tough areas of the ice.

How is Moore "aging" and Gomez "young"?

Anyway, a couple of our centers (Lapierre, Eller) can play wing so we wouldn't have any serious problems. I think Moore could have been a really useful player for us this year... and at 1.1M, even more so. Since we passed on him, and Frolov at 3M, I really hope we have someone in mind and aren't planning to go with this exact roster. One more 2nd/3rd line winger would be huge. I wouldn't mind Guerin (but at the same price would have taken Moore).

Anyway, a couple of our centers (Lapierre, Eller) can play wing so we wouldn't have any serious problems. I think Moore could have been a really useful player for us this year... and at 1.1M, even more so. Since we passed on him, and Frolov at 3M, I really hope we have someone in mind and aren't planning to go with this exact roster. One more 2nd/3rd line winger would be huge. I wouldn't mind Guerin (but at the same price would have taken Moore).

Well said, good sir.

My bad, I though Moore was more like 35 or something. Anyway he is sort of redundant now that we have added Boyd and Eller with Laps to our bottom six. Guerin brings something to the table that we are lacking and I think he would be a better addition than Moore