Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

More rumblings on Marcus Nilson, apparently the Habs are still interested in him. He's turned down some deals already and is leaning towards going the tryout route in training camp.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hock...ticle7719084.ab (Swedish)

If Nilson's willing to come over on a tryout, I'm all for it. He could be a decent depth player if some of the youngsters show they're not quite ready yet.

CHEECHOO ACCEPTS TRYOUT INVITATION TO STARS TRAINING CAMP..i think we should of give him a tryout...

I don't think the Habs did but who's to say they didn't? I know he had multiple tryout offers out there, he gets to go back to the West where he had his best success (if he makes the team of course).

I don't think the Habs did but who's to say they didn't? I know he had multiple tryout offers out there, he gets to go back to the West where he had his best success (if he makes the team of course).

you think he would of like to play on a team where he could play with great players but maybe he just pick the team that would be easy to make...

Today's Eklund report has the Habs as a finalist for former Vancouver C Ryan Johnson. As he'd likely be getting a 6-figure salary, the Habs have room to squeeze him in, though doing so makes it that only 1 rookie makes the team (between Eller, Pacioretty, Maxwell, etc). I'm not sure that's ideal but Johnson certainly would bring some good elements to the 4th line so if Eklund were to be right for once, I wouldn't complain on this one.

I hope this turns out to be false, I'd rather a rookish type line of White/Boyd/Pyatt.

A nothing player, really - unless he's good on faceoffs. That I live in Vancouver and pay some attention to the Canucks, and yet my mental file on Johnson is practically empty, may give you a clue as to the sort of impact he's likely to make. Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention.

I still think we should be looking instead at someone with offensive upside to potentially help bail out the top-6 when Kostitsyn gets hurt/craps out/slumps and when and if Pouliot struggles: a Mike Comrie type of player - super cheap, a bit of a wild card, but with some potential top-6 tools. But Gauthier isn't the type for such moves, I suppose.

You could also argue that we should be hoarding cap space in order to bolster the PP by signing a MA Bergeron type, in the event that we are gravely wounded by our lack of left-shooting cannon from the point, as per JT's latest post:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2010/09/special-teams.html

And BTH will no doubt observe that if Gauthier is concerned about our lack of veteran experience on the bottom-6, he should have saved some trouble and re-signed Moore :angry:

Johnson had 85 blocked shots in 58 games last year (highest amongst Vancouver forwards) and was 52.7% on faceoffs. The PK is where he shines which is why I think he could help the Habs if the report is true. He won't score many goals but he'll prevent plenty on the PK and by not taking dumb penalties (12 PIMS in those 58 games). A prototypical 4th line forward with defensive upside - if they don't want to go with the rookies, they could do a lot worse.

Johnson had 85 blocked shots in 58 games last year (highest amongst Vancouver forwards) and was 52.7% on faceoffs. The PK is where he shines which is why I think he could help the Habs if the report is true. He won't score many goals but he'll prevent plenty on the PK and by not taking dumb penalties (12 PIMS in those 58 games). A prototypical 4th line forward with defensive upside - if they don't want to go with the rookies, they could do a lot worse.

dlbar, you've jogged my memory. Johnson was hailed for his shot-blocking prowess in Vancouver but was basically labouring with injuries his whole time there, which is why he was such a marginal factor. The issue with him is clearly age + injuries. He looks OK on paper but my guess is he's too broken-down and old to be fully effective - certainly that's what his Canucks dossier suggests.

Vancouver's PK was significantly better when Johnson was injured, for what it's worth. He also had the worst CORSI in the NHL for a lot of the year. His shot blocking and faceoff ability is good, but I'd rather bring back Steve Bégin, who is quite frankly a much better player than Johnson. Our PK was pretty good last year.

My new push is for Rusty Fedotkeno. A vet 3rd liner who can play top 6 in a pinch, add some size and offense to a line with Eller. Plus, if we get a Uke to play with a Dane and a Sasky, we'll have all of my heritage covered on one line, which would be awesome in every possible way.

Vancouver's PK was significantly better when Johnson was injured, for what it's worth. He also had the worst CORSI in the NHL for a lot of the year. His shot blocking and faceoff ability is good, but I'd rather bring back Steve Bégin, who is quite frankly a much better player than Johnson. Our PK was pretty good last year.

My new push is for Rusty Fedotkeno. A vet 3rd liner who can play top 6 in a pinch, add some size and offense to a line with Eller. Plus, if we get a Uke to play with a Dane and a Sasky, we'll have all of my heritage covered on one line, which would be awesome in every possible way.

Wow, I never would've guessed he had the worst Corsi rating - upon you mentioning that, I found an article discussing him and how he was last in that category for 2 years now. Go figure.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/psh/...sons_bad_corsi/

As for Fedotenko, he'd give the 3rd line some offensive punch but I wonder about his contract demands. If he'd have taken a salary below 1 mil, it stands to reason he'd have signed by now. I think he could be this year's Satan (sign midseason).

• 1 month later...

Change of topic, but according to Hockeybuzz, Fabian Brunstrom has been put on waivers by the Stars. By no means am I saying the Habs will pick him up, but I certainly do recall them having interest when he was on his "Where will I sign tour" a couple of years back.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Quic...Waivers/1/30801

Change of topic, but according to Hockeybuzz, Fabian Brunstrom has been put on waivers by the Stars. By no means am I saying the Habs will pick him up, but I certainly do recall them having interest when he was on his "Where will I sign tour" a couple of years back.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Quic...Waivers/1/30801

He cleared waivers earlier this afternoon.

That's not exactly surprising, he truly has been underwhelming thus far in his career. Then again, with his little tour and all the hype, little was done to temper expectations.

The hyperbole created around him and Gustavsson was ridiculous.

If you gathered all the undrafted 25 year olds free agents who debut in the NHL and placed them

in a photo, finding Martin St. Louis would be like looking for Waldo. There is usually a reason they

have been ignored for 7 years.

So if you ignore they hype, you will be right way more than you would be wrong.

Bieksa (VAN) reportedly to be dealt sooner than later (when Salo's healthy I'd assume), Gauthier remains interested per TSN's Darren Dreger.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip364237#clip364237

???

Can't see how we'd fit him in... Subban and O'Byrne to the AHL would open the roster spot... but that's not enough cap room. Eller for White swap up front?

???

Can't see how we'd fit him in... Subban and O'Byrne to the AHL would open the roster spot... but that's not enough cap room. Eller for White swap up front?

I'm a little baffled too - I think any deal sees 2 Habs going the other way - O'Byrne and fill in the blank (Moen makes the most sense on Vancouver's end). I'd assume White would replace Moen, Picard to the AHL making 7 d-men.

Full season numbers: Bieksa (3.75) + White (0.85) = 4.6 in, O'Byrne (0.94) + Moen (1.5) = 2.44 out, 2.16 difference. With Picard in the AHL, the Habs' raw cap space would move to about 900k, with another 0.6ish million (I'm doing these calculations in my head) in bonus cushion. The numbers simply don't work, at least not yet. That said, Vancouver isn't moving Bieksa tomorrow, Salo's still out - by then, the numbers might work barring a rash of injuries that kills the little cap space the Habs currently have.

I'm a little baffled too - I think any deal sees 2 Habs going the other way - O'Byrne and fill in the blank (Moen makes the most sense on Vancouver's end). I'd assume White would replace Moen, Picard to the AHL making 7 d-men.

Full season numbers: Bieksa (3.75) + White (0.85) = 4.6 in, O'Byrne (0.94) + Moen (1.5) = 2.44 out, 2.16 difference. With Picard in the AHL, the Habs' raw cap space would move to about 900k, with another 0.6ish million (I'm doing these calculations in my head) in bonus cushion. The numbers simply don't work, at least not yet. That said, Vancouver isn't moving Bieksa tomorrow, Salo's still out - by then, the numbers might work barring a rash of injuries that kills the little cap space the Habs currently have.

I think Burrows comes off the LTIR right at the 10 game mark... apparently he claims he could play, so that 10 game mark might be what Vancouver is targeting more than Salo's return.

Picard at $600k makes more sense than having Subban as the 7th D for $850k... I think you have to subtract P.K. to make it work, really.

Would the team swap Eller for Desharnais? He's the only cheap guy, aside from Henry, I could see being called up in a cap pinch.

I think Burrows comes off the LTIR right at the 10 game mark... apparently he claims he could play, so that 10 game mark might be what Vancouver is targeting more than Salo's return.

Picard at $600k makes more sense than having Subban as the 7th D for $850k... I think you have to subtract P.K. to make it work, really.

Would the team swap Eller for Desharnais? He's the only cheap guy, aside from Henry, I could see being called up in a cap pinch.

Can't see Subban being sent down though it'd make more sense economically - that wouldn't bridge the whole gap though. As for Desharnais over Eller? I could see that happening if need be. Heck, if Price is going to get the bulk of the starts, they could always farm out Auld and use Sanford as backup or carry a 21 man roster if need be - but none of these seem plausible. We're a week and change away from most teams hitting the 10-game mark so there's time to make some space in the event this has legs to it.

A nothing player, really - unless he's good on faceoffs. That I live in Vancouver and pay some attention to the Canucks, and yet my mental file on Johnson is practically empty, may give you a clue as to the sort of impact he's likely to make. Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention.

I still think we should be looking instead at someone with offensive upside to potentially help bail out the top-6 when Kostitsyn gets hurt/craps out/slumps and when and if Pouliot struggles: a Mike Comrie type of player - super cheap, a bit of a wild card, but with some potential top-6 tools. But Gauthier isn't the type for such moves, I suppose.

You could also argue that we should be hoarding cap space in order to bolster the PP by signing a MA Bergeron type, in the event that we are gravely wounded by our lack of left-shooting cannon from the point, as per JT's latest post:

http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2010/09/special-teams.html

And BTH will no doubt observe that if Gauthier is concerned about our lack of veteran experience on the bottom-6, he should have saved some trouble and re-signed Moore :angry:

lol I didn't notice this until now. I still wish we had Moore but I suppose Boyd at 500K cheaper provides about equal bang for the buck and he's also much younger.

About Bieksa, the only possibility I see is O'Byrne + AK for Bieksa and Mason Raymond but

1) I think the Canucks probably value Raymond over AK

2) AK is playing well for us and we need help at forward more than at D

3) We still don't shed enough salary.. we would have to throw in a guy like Moen and call up Ryan White. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a player that doesn't even fill our greatest need.

Latest on the never-ending Bieksa saga from Eklund:

At 29, Bieksa is entering the prime of his career at the perfect time. There is a great chance he is moved at the deadline should Salo return and be healthy. Bieksa's stock fell dramatically in last year's playoffs when word out of Vancouver was the coaching staff found him "Un-Coachable" and he basically did whatever he wanted to do. This feeling has faded a bit, but I still believe he will be moved to Montreal and signed to an extension.

And...

Two teams who have been long rumored to make a deal, The Habs and the Canucks, are reportedly closer than ever with "One piece needed to get healthy for the deal to go down."

I have to admit, my interest is piqued, but I still can't think of a workable scenario that fits both teams' needs and works under the cap.

And...

I have to admit, my interest is piqued, but I still can't think of a workable scenario that fits both teams' needs and works under the cap.

Would a package including O"Byrne and prospects be of interest to Vancouver? Just a question or thought, I have no idea.

And...

I thought of a Bieksa trade that could work out but Vancouver doesn't get to shed a d-man so I don't know if this would serve any purpose for them:

Spacek + O'Byrne for Bieksa + Alberts

Salaries match up, sort of equal value.