Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I can't imagine he thinks he's going to be able to pot a 2 year deal on the open market. If he does, I think PG tells him to go try. We'll find out soon, I guess.

Perhaps I'm in dark here but I've yet to hear of a "during" season contract discussion that is only for ONE year! (Unless he was 50 years old)

IMO if Gauthier is really discussing now with Gill its for 2 seasons or more

Perhaps I'm in dark here but I've yet to hear of a "during" season contract discussion that is only for ONE year! (Unless he was 50 years old)

IMO if Gauthier is really discussing now with Gill its for 2 seasons or more

One year midseason extensions are rare but I do remember Alexander Semin signing one of those last year (the $6 M he's getting this year). Aside from that, it's probably only veteran players who know their role and whose age prohibits them from getting a multi-year pact.

Did that that article on the front page say Pacioretty was on the block, they are getting offers?

I don't speak french.

It's not exactly the most reputable site but that's the gist of it. The Habs and NJ may be talking and Pacioretty might be of some interest to them. Mostly speculation on their part. I find it funny they claim several sources suggest Pacioretty's on the market...no reputable source (that I know of) has made such a claim. Heck, even non-reputable sites aren't suggesting it. Probably not worth worrying about too much.

Well, you have to consider that the Habs may be trying to bolster the D with markov out long term. Most teams will be looking for cheap young players back in exchange for quality help on the blueline, and Pacioretty would fit the bill. So I think rumours around MaxPac are not implausible.

Yea, they can let 3 of them walk next year and buy what ever Dmen they want. Hamrlik, Markov and Gill would save close to 14 mill next year. Gorges only needs to be resigned.

They are way too slow footed to be resigned.

If i understand correctlty, Markov's hit will come off the books when he hits the LTIR. But i could be wrong.

Yea, they can let 3 of them walk next year and buy what ever Dmen they want. Hamrlik, Markov and Gill would save close to 14 mill next year. Gorges only needs to be resigned.

They are way too slow footed to be resigned.

Uh...I wouldn't blow up the team that got us to the semi-finals and 5th overall thus far this season, thanks. I could see ONE if the three you mention leaving. At most. I'm pretty sure the Habs want Gill back because he is a leader and a crucial clutch player, and they probably want Hammer back at a reduced rate, as he is still a very serviceable all-around defenceman. Markov is a given. I was talking more in terms of adding a Markov-replacement who, next season, becomes part of a general upgrade to the D corps. This might involve moving out one guy, but no more than that.

I just think they need to get younger and more mobile on the back end. The have that opportunity next year without losing any assests. I am not saying they couldn't resign 1 or more of them, they just have options.

Hamrlik, Markov would need to decrease salary demands to stay IMO. Gill could get 1.5 -2.0.

I just don't see a need to sign more then 1 of them. Markov obviously the best talent but made of glass the past 3 years.

If i understand correctlty, Markov's hit will come off the books when he hits the LTIR. But i could be wrong.

Under no circumstances will Markov's cap hit come off the books when he hits LTIR. His cap hit is there no matter what. Rather than get into the whole thing on here, have a look at the note on LTIR I wrote a few weeks ago - the numbers are a lot different now but the basic premise of how the system works is still there.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2266

(Up to date LTIR numbers are available in the capsheet link on the main page.)

I just think they need to get younger and more mobile on the back end. The have that opportunity next year without losing any assests. I am not saying they couldn't resign 1 or more of them, they just have options.

Hamrlik, Markov would need to decrease salary demands to stay IMO. Gill could get 1.5 -2.0.

I just don't see a need to sign more then 1 of them. Markov obviously the best talent but made of glass the past 3 years.

One of those guys probably will be gone. Picard might stick, he might not. He was brought in as a stop gap anyways.

I don't know if Carle will ever make it with the Habs, so really that just leaves bringing up Weber next year.

All of those guys are still effective and are leaders on the team. It's tough to determine how it should break down. All of them are left D's, while all the young guys coming up are right D's. Spacek only has one year left, too, so maybe the Habs will try and keep the others around to wait on Spacek's departure.

I don't think there's a doubt that Hamrlik would have to take a pay cut to stick around. Aside from his crap play vs. Washington last year, he's been as good of a D as we've had the past 4 years. If we can find a way to keep him, I think it's worth looking into. He's made a lot of money in his career, maybe his top priority isn't about maximizing his income for his final couple of years like it was before.

One of those guys probably will be gone. Picard might stick, he might not. He was brought in as a stop gap anyways.

I don't know if Carle will ever make it with the Habs, so really that just leaves bringing up Weber next year.

All of those guys are still effective and are leaders on the team. It's tough to determine how it should break down. All of them are left D's, while all the young guys coming up are right D's. Spacek only has one year left, too, so maybe the Habs will try and keep the others around to wait on Spacek's departure.

I don't think there's a doubt that Hamrlik would have to take a pay cut to stick around. Aside from his crap play vs. Washington last year, he's been as good of a D as we've had the past 4 years. If we can find a way to keep him, I think it's worth looking into. He's made a lot of money in his career, maybe his top priority isn't about maximizing his income for his final couple of years like it was before.

Despite fans' whining, all of our veteran D remain quality players. The weakest link is Spacek in my opinion; but even he is underrated, a very useful dude to have around eating minutes. Hammer will have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes, so if he likes it here, I wouldn't be surprised to find him back. In short, the Habs are in a good position: if they don't see any immediate replacements, they can probably re-sign these guys and purge Spacek the following season. If they do see replacements, they can let one of them go (I doubt it will be more than one) this summer. The only scenario I find implausible is a major purge of the defence core.

Despite fans' whining, all of our veteran D remain quality players. The weakest link is Spacek in my opinion; but even he is underrated, a very useful dude to have around eating minutes. Hammer will have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes, so if he likes it here, I wouldn't be surprised to find him back. In short, the Habs are in a good position: if they don't see any immediate replacements, they can probably re-sign these guys and purge Spacek the following season. If they do see replacements, they can let one of them go (I doubt it will be more than one) this summer. The only scenario I find implausible is a major purge of the defence core.

I agree, fans like to scapegoat.

The easiest targets? The ones in the plain view of the camera as the replay shows itself 3-4 times.

Who are those guys? Defensemen and goaltenders.

My only concern is their ages, I think they are all competent when properly supported.

if we want to make a trade with a team could we trade Markov to make it work? cash wise i mean..

for ex.Markov,1st rounder,Pacioretty,Schultz for Iginla

You could, yes, as players on LTIR can be dealt. I wouldn't make the proposed deal myself but it is legal to trade Markov.

if we want to make a trade with a team could we trade Markov to make it work? cash wise i mean..

for ex.Markov,1st rounder,Pacioretty,Schultz for Iginla

yeah but why would the Habs do that trade? Iginla isn't worth all that... maybe if you swap Markov for Gomez. :)

yeah but why would the Habs do that trade? Iginla isn't worth all that... maybe if you swap Markov for Gomez. :)

would iginla push us to the next level? If i thought iginla could help us bring the cup home this year, which i do..I make the trade.

I feel we need another rightwing to play with gomez and i thing iginla could be a good fit. This would be a win now not worry about the future trade.

Kostitsyn- Plekanec - Gionta

Cammalleri - Gomez - iginla

Pouliot - Eller - Darche

Pyatt - Halpern - Moen

I feel we need another rightwing to play with gomez and i thing iginla could be a good fit. This would be a win now not worry about the future trade.

The Habs aren't in a position to throw away essentially 2 1st rounders for a veteran in decline. Any good team can't go with a "screw the future" strategy, that's a recipe for disaster. The Leafs did that (trading for a decent youngster mind you) and that didn't go over well.

The Habs aren't in a position to throw away essentially 2 1st rounders for a veteran in decline. Any good team can't go with a "screw the future" strategy, that's a recipe for disaster. The Leafs did that (trading for a decent youngster mind you) and that didn't go over well.

I agree about the future but a day must come and u got to put your cards on the table and go for it..U cant always play it safe. With the way the team is playing i feel we are 1 or 2 players away from a shot at the cup.

The leafs are not a good team to compare us 2. A first from the leafs is worth alot more as it well be in the top 5, montreal top pick well be in the last 5.

Edited by KEEP26

I agree about the future but a day must come and u got to put your cards on the table and go for it..U cant always play it safe. With the way the team is playing i feel we are 1 or 2 players away from a shot at the cup.

Even the teams that are winning the cup aren't throwing their cards in and making big moves, look at the last 3 winners - Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. Good drafting and player development, and with CHI/DET, solid free agency pickups. Those teams didn't go throw away key parts of the future to succeed and make huge midseason trades, you don't have to nowadays. And if we're 1 or 2 players away, one would think the defence may be the place to go to try and replace Markov.

Even the teams that are winning the cup aren't throwing their cards in and making big moves, look at the last 3 winners - Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. Good drafting and player development, and with CHI/DET, solid free agency pickups. Those teams didn't go throw away key parts of the future to succeed and make huge midseason trades, you don't have to nowadays. And if we're 1 or 2 players away, one would think the defence may be the place to go to try and replace Markov.

2 of those team sucked for a lot of year to get top draft pick and det sign alot of vet so their young guy could development in the ahl. Every team finds differnt ways to win.

2 of those team sucked for a lot of year to get top draft pick and det sign alot of vet so their young guy could development in the ahl. Every team finds differnt ways to win.

exact. 2 of those teams got ZERO respect from me. ZERO.

That much I'll grant you. I'll toss Philly's name out there then, last year's finalists. 2 shrewd FA pickups (Hartnell, Timonen), and good drafting (Richards, Carter, Giroux...van Riemsdyk isn't doing all that well and they're still rolling). The Pronger trade, made before the season, was also good. That's the key, big trades before the year so as to not disrupt any chemistry which clearly exists with this team.

I agree with a couple of players this team could contend but taking on ugly contracts (such as Iginla's) isn't the way to go. This is the time where you're looking for rental players who won't cost half as much as an Iginla would but could still have a significant impact or fill a glaring hole.