Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

That much I'll grant you. I'll toss Philly's name out there then, last year's finalists. 2 shrewd FA pickups (Hartnell, Timonen), and good drafting (Richards, Carter, Giroux...van Riemsdyk isn't doing all that well and they're still rolling). The Pronger trade, made before the season, was also good. That's the key, big trades before the year so as to not disrupt any chemistry which clearly exists with this team.

I agree with a couple of players this team could contend but taking on ugly contracts (such as Iginla's) isn't the way to go. This is the time where you're looking for rental players who won't cost half as much as an Iginla would but could still have a significant impact or fill a glaring hole.

I just use Iginla as a example..But Iginla is in the top 15 in scoring for rw on a bad team. so i think he go a few good year left yet but 7 mil a year would hurt but its only as 2 more year after this one.

Edited by KEEP26

Well, they made it work. Sucking to win isn't a foolproof strategy: look at Atlanta and Florida. Or the Islanders.

Doesn,t mean Atlanta and Florida got any more respect frome me than tems like Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh or Washington. ZERO respect. ###### it.

Boston, Detroit, Montreal, Philly, Buffalo, etc got respect from me. Not sucking for 2-3-4 years in a row. Pitss-Wash-Chicago-etc are just a bunch of losers IMO.

Totally unrelated, (too lazy to make a thread, plus wouldnt know where...)

On L'antichambre last night Carey frazer was saying that then GM Andre Savard was pissed at him for an incident during the Carolina series in 2002, called "Yellow hornet" or "Yellow jacket" incident... What the hell are they talking about?

THX

Edited by CoRvInA

Wouldn't that be when whats his face on Carolina tried to take off Koivus eye and there was no penalty call?

I thought of that too.. but wasnt that around 2004 or 2005? All I remember from the |Carolina Habs series of 2002 it was a Heartbreak series where we were up and lost in three straight games

Edited by CoRvInA

I don't know where he got the "yellow hornet" phrase from, but Fraser called Michel Therrien for an unsportsmanlike penalty early in the 3rd period when the Habs were up 3-0 in Game 4 and had just taken a minor penalty. Therrien argued, and it was a 5 on 3. The Hurricanes scored their first goal on that extended PP, and the wheels started to come off.

Therrien was an idiot, though. You don't start yelling at refs when you have a manageable lead in the 3rd period.

If the Habs win that game, they're up 3-1 and cruising. They lost, then got blown out in consecutive games and the Hurricanes went to the SCF.

Edited by saskhab

Totally unrelated, (too lazy to make a thread, plus wouldnt know where...)

On L'antichambre last night Carey frazer was saying that then GM Andre Savard was pissed at him for an incident during the Carolina series in 2002, called "Yellow hornet" or "Yellow jacket" incident... What the hell are they talking about?

THX

It is Yellow Jacket.

I don't know where he got the "yellow hornet" phrase from, but Fraser called Michel Therrien for an unsportsmanlike penalty early in the 3rd period when the Habs were up 3-0 in Game 4 and had just taken a minor penalty. Therrien argued, and it was a 5 on 3. The Hurricanes scored their first goal on that extended PP, and the wheels started to come off.

Therrien was an idiot, though. You don't start yelling at refs when you have a manageable lead in the 3rd period.

If the Habs win that game, they're up 3-1 and cruising. They lost, then got blown out in consecutive games and the Hurricanes went to the SCF.

Exact. Therrien was wearing a yellow jacket.

ARGGG What painful memories.... :puke:

Maybe its a french thing meaning Michel Therrien got stung by a hornet hence his "folly"

Ok back to rumours...

My question... and as much as I my heart wants a yes my head says NOOO.... but come trade deadline (or before even), would you see it as a bad thing if we acquired AK 27, AGAIN!.... For the remainder of the season and playoffs?

Would there be any benefit from reforming the Kostitsyn-Plek_Kovy line?

or is Cammalleri needing Pleks more than ever? WOuld Kovalev be a solution for Gomez and Gionta... Can Kovy play left wing? or in any case CAN HE EVEN PLAY ANYMORE?

Seriously...something tells me AK 27 could turn on the gas when he gets traded or if not traded come deadline he will turn it up a notch to prove he merits more contracts...

AK 27 managing his energies and fuel tank is WAY TOO KOVY like... don`t you agree? specially when he's playing in a team that he dislikes.... remember his stats when he was playing for the NY Rangers before Gainey got him?

Ok back to rumours...

My question... and as much as I my heart wants a yes my head says NOOO.... but come trade deadline (or before even), would you see it as a bad thing if we acquired AK 27, AGAIN!.... For the remainder of the season and playoffs?

Would there be any benefit from reforming the Kostitsyn-Plek_Kovy line?

or is Cammalleri needing Pleks more than ever? WOuld Kovalev be a solution for Gomez and Gionta... Can Kovy play left wing? or in any case CAN HE EVEN PLAY ANYMORE?

Seriously...something tells me AK 27 could turn on the gas when he gets traded or if not traded come deadline he will turn it up a notch to prove he merits more contracts...

AK 27 managing his energies and fuel tank is WAY TOO KOVY like... don`t you agree? specially when he's playing in a team that he dislikes.... remember his stats when he was playing for the NY Rangers before Gainey got him?

Hee hee! I can just see all the groans and jeers coming your way for this :lol:

The problems are obvious. Kovalev is not the avenging angel of yore, he's now old and slow. And Kovalev is not and never will be a team player. For a team like ours that is built on system, team play and commitment, he is the OPPOSITE of the sort of guy we should be acquiring.

And yet...I can kinda see it working out. A humbled Kovy with something to prove, reinvigorated by a return to the town he loves, placed within the context of a team where he would be clearly positioned as a support player rather than a leader, and entering the playoffs where he has always excelled - he could turn out to be an inspired choice as a rental for the playoffs. He's proven he CAN be a team guy for short stretches. All we'd need would be a few rounds.

So I think it's a fun idea to think about. I'll be astounded if Gauthier does it, though; he's not one to swing for the fences with a risk move like that.

Ok back to rumours...

It's been floated about and, ever since the Ottawa game, I have been pondering the option. Frankly, one could argue that such a move makes a fair bit of sense. Kovalev's playoff numbers are more than decent, his heart is still somewhat in Montreal and is familiar with the environment. Plus, he could likely be had for a low draft pick as a late season rental. Having said all of that, his return could prove to be quite an unwelcome distraction.

Hee hee! I can just see all the groans and jeers coming your way for this :lol:

:lol::clap:

It's been floated about and, ever since the Ottawa game, I have been pondering the option. Frankly, one could argue that such a move makes a fair bit of sense. Kovalev's playoff numbers are more than decent, his heart is still somewhat in Montreal and is familiar with the environment. Plus, he could likely be had for a low draft pick as a late season rental. Having said all of that, his return could prove to be quite an unwelcome distraction.

What would be an estimate of what 5mill salary hit would look like come trade deadline... is that 20-25% of that salary?

What would be an estimate of what 5mill salary hit would look like come trade deadline... is that 20-25% of that salary?

It'd be about 25-30%, too lazy to look up the actual days though. As for my take, I don't want to give away my position on this topic as it will be appearing in an upcoming HW article. :)

It'd be about 25-30%, too lazy to look up the actual days though. As for my take, I don't want to give away my position on this topic as it will be appearing in an upcoming HW article. :)

:clap: Lookin forward to reading it Brian

:clap: Lookin forward to reading it Brian

It'll be a while before it's up, more than a week from today actually.

Edit: Maybe I'll move it to this week's HW Recap, I think I can make it a good old rant either way, and people seem to like my rants (which is why I've done more of them this year).

Brad Richards name is being thrown out there. We have room with Markov out and CBC said the Richards really likes the atmosphere here. Would be a nice pick-up but we would have to give up quite a bit.

Brad Richards name is being thrown out there. We have room with Markov out and CBC said the Richards really likes the atmosphere here. Would be a nice pick-up but we would have to give up quite a bit.

Such a move would eliminate all of the remaining cap space at this time, regular and LTIR. He'd be an interesting acquisition but if he moves (and I don't think he will actually), it'll be closer to the deadline.

Such a move would eliminate all of the remaining cap space at this time, regular and LTIR. He'd be an interesting acquisition but if he moves (and I don't think he will actually), it'll be closer to the deadline.

Ya it comes down to how the Stars are doing at the deadline and also depends on how the talks are going with Richards for signing on long term. Though like you I dont think it would ever happen, but I would love to see him in a Habs uniform.

Elliot Friedman says he wants to sign with a team with stable ownership. So right now, that's not Dallas.

Elliot Friedman says he wants to sign with a team with stable ownership. So right now, that's not Dallas.

In retrospect, Richards would have been a MUCH better acquisition than Gomez. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

I'd love to have him and think he would be an exemplary fit for our system and team concept. But is that really where we should be investing? What do we do with Gomez, then?

I think a major move for a blueliner is far likelier.

A defenseman is what we really need. If we end up getting Bieksa, I would be happy. Markov's injury situation gives us the perfect opportunity to acquire a rental, and even if we go for a player with year remaining, Hamrlik will be off the books this summer. Either way, we will have money to spend on the blueline both now and later.

A defenseman is what we really need. If we end up getting Bieksa, I would be happy. Markov's injury situation gives us the perfect opportunity to acquire a rental, and even if we go for a player with year remaining, Hamrlik will be off the books this summer. Either way, we will have money to spend on the blueline both now and later.

Regehr, baby! ^_^

Edit: Maybe I'll move it to this week's HW Recap, I think I can make it a good old rant either way, and people seem to like my rants (which is why I've done more of them this year).

Well, I didn't rant like I originally planned but my thoughts on Kovalev are in this week's Recap as promised.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2302