Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

• 2 weeks later...

jagr is a cancer I hope pitts or boston or philly sign him. How soo we forget that when he left the nhl it was because NOBODY wanted him.

Correction, nobody wanted to sign him to a $5+ million contract..

Correction, nobody wanted to sign him to a $5+ million contract..

except for the khl. I wonder why the rangers just told him to hit the road no contract offer nothing. You could be right he is probably a great guy, and at 40 years old probably faster than ever. But the Montreal canadiens don't need him in my opinion. And his history suggest he is not signing for cheap. :habslogo:

No link or anything to substantiate this but there are rumblings that both Dawes and Boyd will be playing overseas next season.

Not happy about something ?

Not happy about something ?

Yeah, they're not happy about basically being front line AHL'ers/fringe NHL'ers. Both know they'd be stuck with two way deals next year so overseas provides more playing time and more money.

Yeah, they're not happy about basically being front line AHL'ers/fringe NHL'ers. Both know they'd be stuck with two way deals next year so overseas provides more playing time and more money.

Well, good for them then. They can make a decent living out there in Europe.

Darche is the perfect example of a borderline AHL/NHLer that accepted to make the extra step in order to stay in the NHL: which is commitment and sacrifice, to accept to play a different role than you were used to, and give 2X the effort of your more talented teammates

Well, good for them then. They can make a decent living out there in Europe.

Darche is the perfect example of a borderline AHL/NHLer that accepted to make the extra step in order to stay in the NHL: which is commitment and sacrifice, to accept to play a different role than you were used to, and give 2X the effort of your more talented teammates

+1

What's the chances of bring Trotter back and giving him a shot at bigs? I wonder if he is gained any strength.

I think he's going back to Riga. It's a club option year, though he likely has an out clause. He really started to produce near the end of the season, which is encouraging, but he'd have to start all over as a 4th line rookie (best case scenario) if he came back.

What's the chances of bring Trotter back and giving him a shot at bigs? I wonder if he is gained any strength.

Unless the Habs are willing to give him a 1-way deal, I'd say there's no shot. He got better as the year went on in Riga and is making a lot more money there than he would in Hamilton. Frankly, I think we've seen the last of him in North America as I don't think this stint is going to turn him into a full time NHL'er.

Unless the Habs are willing to give him a 1-way deal, I'd say there's no shot. He got better as the year went on in Riga and is making a lot more money there than he would in Hamilton. Frankly, I think we've seen the last of him in North America as I don't think this stint is going to turn him into a full time NHL'er.

Well, I'm not as pessimistic as you, Brian. If he wants to come back, and feels he's a better player, he'll probably take a two-way deal to return after next year. It happens often, actually. Benoit was another example, though of a lesser profile... They leave to try and become a better player by taking on a challenge.

He'll be two years older and as good as he'll ever be. Fact is, he'll be the same age as Yemelin is now I believe.

Well, I'm not as pessimistic as you, Brian. If he wants to come back, and feels he's a better player, he'll probably take a two-way deal to return after next year. It happens often, actually. Benoit was another example, though of a lesser profile... They leave to try and become a better player by taking on a challenge.

He'll be two years older and as good as he'll ever be. Fact is, he'll be the same age as Yemelin is now I believe.

If something happens in Riga and he wants out, sure it's an option. Benoit went overseas with the blessing of the Habs at the time, a mutual agreement after he put in his time in Hamilton. Trotter gave them no warning whatsoever and simply bolted. Even if something were to happen and Trotter wanted back, I'm not sure the organization would be chomping at the bit to get him back, I remember reading how they weren't too impressed with the lack of good faith negotiations that ultimately resulted in his KHL deal. I suppose if he's willing to suck it up (or has a breakout year), maybe they'd bring him back but I am skeptical for sure.

If something happens in Riga and he wants out, sure it's an option. Benoit went overseas with the blessing of the Habs at the time, a mutual agreement after he put in his time in Hamilton. Trotter gave them no warning whatsoever and simply bolted. Even if something were to happen and Trotter wanted back, I'm not sure the organization would be chomping at the bit to get him back, I remember reading how they weren't too impressed with the lack of good faith negotiations that ultimately resulted in his KHL deal. I suppose if he's willing to suck it up (or has a breakout year), maybe they'd bring him back but I am skeptical for sure.

I expect that Montreal was well aware of the playing field when Trotter's contract come up. That loyality issue is a two way street and I wonder if it is wise to pull that card out when you are talking RFA's and UFA's. I would point to the fact that he is still on roster as an indication of what Montreal is thinking.

I expect that Montreal was well aware of the playing field when Trotter's contract come up. That loyality issue is a two way street and I wonder if it is wise to pull that card out when you are talking RFA's and UFA's. I would point to the fact that he is still on roster as an indication of what Montreal is thinking.

Of course he's still on the Habs' reserve list. They qualified him in June, he bolted in August so technically they've had no chance to release him even if they wanted to. That's not an argument that suggests the Habs would bring him back, it's just asset management. They'll hold his rights just so he doesn't sign elsewhere like they're currently doing with Ramo, Perezhogin, and Degon (the latter two until July 1st though). That doesn't mean they were happy with his decision, they're just not going to give him away for nothing should someone else actually want him.

Of course he's still on the Habs' reserve list. They qualified him in June, he bolted in August so technically they've had no chance to release him even if they wanted to. That's not an argument that suggests the Habs would bring him back, it's just asset management. They'll hold his rights just so he doesn't sign elsewhere like they're currently doing with Ramo, Perezhogin, and Degon (the latter two until July 1st though). That doesn't mean they were happy with his decision, they're just not going to give him away for nothing should someone else actually want him.

I not sure what you mean by "technically they had no chance to release him". They couldn't contact his agent? You bring up an interesting case with Degon, because I don't have enough awareness of his situation. However with Perezhogin and Romo and I expect Trotter, they would dearly love to sign them and that's why they are on the roster.

I not sure what you mean by "technically they had no chance to release him". They couldn't contact his agent? You bring up an interesting case with Degon, because I don't have enough awareness of his situation. However with Perezhogin and Romo and I expect Trotter, they would dearly love to sign them and that's why they are on the roster.

What I mean by that is that when they qualified him in June, that was their shot at releasing him. Trotter signed with Riga in August, after the period by which they could have let him go. Thus, saying that the Habs could have released him if they weren't happy with him isn't a correct argument. As for Degon, he signed with the Habs in 2007 after being non-qualified by the Rangers, had a pretty good year and has since gone overseas, spending the last 3 years with 4 different teams in Germany/Austria. I liked him in Hamilton too, he was a solid offensive D.

As for Perezhogin and Ramo (and even Trotter), the reason that they're on the reserve list isn't necessarily because the Habs want to sign them but rather that there's no need for them not to be there. Montreal has a lot of space on the 90-man reserve list so why not keep their rights? Why let a possible asset walk for free? The Habs have known there was no way Perezhogin was going to come back but they kept him because, well, they could. It's the same with any player they hold the rights to that goes back overseas, it doesn't really give an inclination either way as to their interest or lack thereof with respect to signing/not signing a particular player.

What I mean by that is that when they qualified him in June, that was their shot at releasing him. Trotter signed with Riga in August, after the period by which they could have let him go. Thus, saying that the Habs could have released him if they weren't happy with him isn't a correct argument. As for Degon, he signed with the Habs in 2007 after being non-qualified by the Rangers, had a pretty good year and has since gone overseas, spending the last 3 years with 4 different teams in Germany/Austria. I liked him in Hamilton too, he was a solid offensive D.

As for Perezhogin and Ramo (and even Trotter), the reason that they're on the reserve list isn't necessarily because the Habs want to sign them but rather that there's no need for them not to be there. Montreal has a lot of space on the 90-man reserve list so why not keep their rights? Why let a possible asset walk for free? The Habs have known there was no way Perezhogin was going to come back but they kept him because, well, they could. It's the same with any player they hold the rights to that goes back overseas, it doesn't really give an inclination either way as to their interest or lack thereof with respect to signing/not signing a particular player.

Thanx Brian: I remember reading about the 90 man reserve list. Brian maybe you could clarify the difference between the 50 man list and the 90 man list and who Montreal has the rights to, today beyond the 50 man roster.

Thanx Brian: I remember reading about the 90 man reserve list. Brian maybe you could clarify the difference between the 50 man list and the 90 man list and who Montreal has the rights to, today beyond the 50 man roster.

The list of 50 is for contracted players, you can find who's on that list in the CBA thread (2nd post), I have updated it for this offseason. The 90 is for players affiliated to the organization, including draft picks and defections (such as Trotter and Ramo). I believe that once July 1st passes and the Habs let go of Simila (June 1st), Perezhogin, and Degon, the Habs will be at 75 on their list.

The list of 50 is for contracted players, you can find who's on that list in the CBA thread (2nd post), I have updated it for this offseason. The 90 is for players affiliated to the organization, including draft picks and defections (such as Trotter and Ramo). I believe that once July 1st passes and the Habs let go of Simila (June 1st), Perezhogin, and Degon, the Habs will be at 75 on their list.

Thanx Brian: Just a senior's moment, if I had thought about it a little I would have come up with it. I was thinking with the Russians that that those contracts lasted perpetually until there was transfer agreement.