Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I think it is McGuire's opinions of Eller which actually give reason for his potential success. Whereas most people had Eller as an elite player Mcguire said straight out he would never be a goal scorer which right now he is dead on. Eller has the potential to be a really good player. He has a hard shot, can stick handle, is big and strong and can play a 2 way game but he's not proven he can be a goal scorer at any level. In other words dead on assessment,.

Bingo!

2-way...that is the key to Eller's game. He has offensive upside but will never be a 30-goal scorer....maybe not even a 25-goal scorer...

Not a fan of brisson. havent huidden from the fact that I really want McGuire but I also love the information that Damphousse has with the CBA, agents and players.

I don't get the Damphousse love. Not by you necessarily, but many are saying he would be an amazing GM. Based on what? Zero experience behind the scenes in any manner, for any team, ever?

Oh, I didn't know that's where the bar was being set for outstanging potential GM.

I'm also in the McGuire camp...as unpopular as that is.

I don't get the Damphousse love. Not by you necessarily, but many are saying he would be an amazing GM. Based on what? Zero experience behind the scenes in any manner, for any team, ever?

Oh, I didn't know that's where the bar was being set for outstanging potential GM.

I don't see how these two things make sense together. Damphousse doesn't have enough experience, but McGuire does? Personally I think they both suck as choices.

McGuire might have a little coaching experience (almost all of it as an assistant, with like a season of head coaching) and he was a pro scout (but only for a short time) but his relevant experience for a gM post is minimal, and he's basically been in the media since 1996.

I'm with MOLG here, if Pierre's goal is to be a GM he should go be an assistant GM somewhere or go GM a junior squad.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how these two things make sense together. Damphousse doesn't have enough experience, but McGuire does? Personally I think they both suck as choices.

McGuire might have a little coaching experience (almost all of it as an assistant, with like a season of head coaching) and he was a pro scout (but only for a short time) but his relevant experience for a gM post is minimal, and he's basically been in the media since 1996.

I'm with MOLG here, if Pierre's goal is to be a GM he should go be an assistant GM somewhere or go GM a junior squad.

For sure, PMcG has been out of the loop since 1996. But did work at the NHL level. What's more important, imo, is that he has spent the last 15+ years getting to know NHL teams. This means owners, managers, coaches, etc. He is close enough with many that he has seen how they concoct their mixes and, as such, has a wide reaching view of how to build a winner.

I think that, plus his knowledge of the game, plus his passion, plus his love of the Canadiens make him a great candidate. It wouldn't be a done deal, imo, but you have to give this guy an interview.

At least in my world you do.

As for Damphousse, he was part of the PA. That's it. I don't know, the two situations are completely different, imo.

If Pierre comes here one thing will change for sure he will be very media accessible.

He'd be like Burke...

I hate Mcguire.

I hate his over reactions, and he scares me as a guy who'd make panic moves.

I also think he's way to quick to fall in love with a player, and fear he'd overpay for the next "Double dion" or whoever it is that recently caught his eye.

I also hate the way he has gone after McGuire with his grudge over being fired in Ottawa. He's never expressly said it, but he's made it no secret. Its petty and unprofessional and I don't want that type of guy as GM.

He's honestly one of the least favourite people I see as a candidate.

One thing for sure is that you cannot argue that mcGuire doesn;t have more experience han Damphousse however as many fail to realize, that experience was many many moons ago. Assiting Scotty Bowman or with Ottawa in the 90's is kind of old news right now. It's pre-CBA and cap rules, so it is a whole other ball game. It's one of the reasons why despite his success I would not want to see Savard as the next GM of Montreal.

For me the McGuire thing is because of the passion. I love the fact that when he he analyszes games he "appears" to know the ins and outs of players current and junior hockey success. He has alot of knowledge of the game which I have seen lacking with the Gainey-Gautier era.

I got the impression that moves were always made based on a name insetad of where a player was at that current point of time. Whether it be the Ribeiro fiasco, or Gomez or whomever. McGuire has the appearance of knowg what he is talking about and seems to have a rapport with a good number of players.

he may utterly fail, I have no idea, but so may any other person inserted in that role. I just want to see him as GM

The thing with Damphosse is that he has done alot of the behind the scenes work. He may not ahve tha GM experience per se but his knowledge of the CBA is surpassed by few because of his deep involvement with the process. He is also very intune with the players of the league because of his representation on the NHLPA.

When you combine his knowledge of the process and the familiarity with the players I personall;y think it makes for a curious and potentially benefitial situation.

I don't like McGuire but I'd like to see him GM a team as well. Just not Montreal. Again, he interviewed for the job in Minnesota where they were accepting applicants with little experience and they passed him over for Chuck Fletcher. The big thing separating Fletcher and McGuire? Experience. Fletcher has worked at the important levels of general managing with Florida and Pittsburgh because he wanted a GM job. McGuire continues to try to get the spot on the sidelines. I think Minnesota saw that when they interviewed him.

The one guy who has little GM experience I'd want in the role is Pat Brisson because Pat knows the players, he knows how they negotiate with their agents and he has an excellent relationship with the league despite being the guy that will help drive up revenues. If Brisson wants the role, he gets it in my eyes.

I hate Mcguire.

I hate his over reactions, and he scares me as a guy who'd make panic moves.

I also think he's way to quick to fall in love with a player, and fear he'd overpay for the next "Double dion" or whoever it is that recently caught his eye.

I also hate the way he has gone after McGuire with his grudge over being fired in Ottawa. He's never expressly said it, but he's made it no secret. Its petty and unprofessional and I don't want that type of guy as GM.

He's honestly one of the least favourite people I see as a candidate.

McGuire is one of the best analysts out there and has many good relationships with hockey people. That said, I don't want him as GM.None of us here have any idea how Roy,Damphousse or any of these candidates who've never been GM will do.I have no idea who I'd want as GM,but definitely not Martin,who I fear is a top candidate for Molson

I think we have to be honest. We have no idea what an experienced GM would do either. I mean Gainey had alot of experience but he f.ed the pooch more times than any other GM that I can remember. I just want a different attitude with this team. I want the cockiness and pride that we once had.

I think we have to be honest. We have no idea what an experienced GM would do either. I mean Gainey had alot of experience but he f.ed the pooch more times than any other GM that I can remember. I just want a different attitude with this team. I want the cockiness and pride that we once had.

BG experience was with a Stars team with no cap and money to burn.I don't understand why he never really acquired any players that played with the heart and determination that he did.Koivu was basically the only one and he never got him any power forwards like he said he was going to.

He none the less had the experience in making deal and he did things that had no relevance cap wise that go down as some of the stupidest moves in Habs history IMO. He personally set back this team many years because of his mistakes.

On a side note is anyone going to the Guaranteed Win night tomorrow :

http://www.facebook.com/events/356905037659842/

He none the less had the experience in making deal and he did things that had no relevance cap wise that go down as some of the stupidest moves in Habs history IMO. He personally set back this team many years because of his mistakes.

On a side note is anyone going to the Guaranteed Win night tomorrow :

http://www.facebook....56905037659842/

These are some moves since the lockout that shows the disparity of the B's vs Habs Mgmnt

Julien coach-Fire Carbo hire JM

$30m for Markov-$30m for Chara

Draft Maxwell @ 49-Lucic goes 50

Acquire Weber,Diaz,Campoli-McQuaid,Seidenberg,Boychuk

Acquire Gomez- M.Savard

" Halpern-Horton

Eric Cole is a great signing. I guarantee in 2 years we'll be bashing that. Remember how much everyone loved the "little 3" signings. I said at the time it was too much $ and term.

One thing for sure is that you cannot argue that mcGuire doesn;t have more experience han Damphousse however as many fail to realize, that experience was many many moons ago. Assiting Scotty Bowman or with Ottawa in the 90's is kind of old news right now. It's pre-CBA and cap rules, so it is a whole other ball game. It's one of the reasons why despite his success I would not want to see Savard as the next GM of Montreal.

So we agree, he has some experience, but its largely irrelevant.

I really believe that if McGuire really wants to be a GM, if thats his goal, as has been stated, then continuing with TSN and now NBC is the wrong way to go about it. Go be someone's assistant and work your way up.

I hate the way he wants the job, but doesn't want to take the logical stepping stones to getting it.

For me the McGuire thing is because of the passion. I love the fact that when he he analyszes games he "appears" to know the ins and outs of players current and junior hockey success. He has alot of knowledge of the game which I have seen lacking with the Gainey-Gautier era.

I got the impression that moves were always made based on a name insetad of where a player was at that current point of time. Whether it be the Ribeiro fiasco, or Gomez or whomever. McGuire has the appearance of knowg what he is talking about and seems to have a rapport with a good number of players.

he may utterly fail, I have no idea, but so may any other person inserted in that role. I just want to see him as GM

When Pierre opens his mouth, the last thing I think is "this guy knows what he's talking about"

The habs during Gaineys era were built on the post-lockout NHL, you know the zero tolerance on obstruction that lead to a lot more skating and PPs. The NHL has relaxed upon this ...a LOT, but the habs team has not evolved with it. The bruins was floundering under the zero tolerance system, while the habs were flourishing with their fire wagon hockey. The tables have been reversed, so the habs need a shift in philosphy, but this cannot happen over night, you cant snap your fingers and grow 3" and gain 30 lbs. To those that quote the habs dynasty's of old, you need to let that go...there are not dynasty's in any sport anymore, which is a good thing. Parody is what sells in a league, look at how well the NFL does parody.

PG could very well be not the right guy for the job anymore, infact I'd rather they got their new GM before the trade line, if thats the route they are going to take. Let the new GM get his philosphy in place, plan his trade deadline deals. I've sort of gone on a tangent, so TLDR version: change is coming, it takes time, there is no quick fixes.

It would be nice to let the new GM work this deadline, no doubt about that.

The problem of course is that some of the best candidates (assistant GMs, guys running CHL teams, etc...) aren't available at mid-season, but will be in June.

I'd rather get myself the best candidate than hire someone just for the sake of getting them for the deadline.

Now if you feel the best candidate is available today, by all means, hire him now. But if not, let PG sell off the UFAs, acquire young assets and clear as much salary as possible, and this will allow the new GM to hit the ground running in June. Sure it would be better if he's in now, but if they want to at least interview guys like Loiselle and Brisebois, it may not be possible until the season is over.

Dreger saying we have interest in Derek Roy.

a

I don't see him helping though, its just more of the same in terms of a small skilled centre. Better offensively than Plekanec but not as good defensively.

This team has made some strides as far as a size infusion goes at forward, but at centre specifically its still lacking.

I want a nice 1a/1b combo with Pleks, but the other guy needs to bring size and physicality, and thats not Roy.

I like Roy but it depends on the cost. he has 2 years remaining at $4 million per season which is not bad. I have a suspicion that Plekanec is being shopped and we are near a deal sending him out. whether it's a one for one with Roy or whether Roy can potentially be a security blanket for Plekanec heading West?

I agree Wiley, i think they are triyng to move Pleks. Not sure Roy would be the answer, as pointed out, offensively he is better but not defensively. His contract is better, only 2 years and saving a mill compared to Pleks.

But if you trade Pleks for a prospect or player and 1st, what would it cost to get Roy? i think they have similar value.

I like Roy but it depends on the cost. he has 2 years remaining at $4 million per season which is not bad. I have a suspicion that Plekanec is being shopped and we are near a deal sending him out. whether it's a one for one with Roy or whether Roy can potentially be a security blanket for Plekanec heading West?

You leave yourself with a huge hole in terms of PKing and defensive game if you are merely flipping Roy and Pleks.

If you are flipping Pleks for a bigger centre a true #1, and then having Roy as your number 2, I could be down for that.

But what are we selling Plekanec for, thats the issue IMO. If its just a lateral move where similar aspects are spent on Roy and Plekanec, then I don't see the point.

Edit: Just saw Chris said the same thing.

Yes, but you can get Pkers relatively cheap on the market over the summer. Good teams use 3rd and 4th lioners to kill penalties, not top 2 centers. Obviously there are exceptions.

This team needs 12 forwards contributing every night. Not playing the same 8 or 9 guys in all situations.

Yes, but you can get Pkers relatively cheap on the market over the summer. Good teams use 3rd and 4th lioners to kill penalties, not top 2 centers. Obviously there are exceptions.

This team needs 12 forwards contributing every night. Not playing the same 8 or 9 guys in all situations.

Good teams are now using a top 6 centre to match up against the other teams top line 5 on 5. The NHL has changed, and the third line checking centre like the John Maddens, the Guy Carbonneaus, the Doug Jarvis, these are guys we aren't seeing as much of.

Rangers: Brad Richards plays against top lines.

Boston: Patrice Bergeron.

Pittsburgh: Jordan Staal

Jersey: Zajac

Florida: Weiss

Washington: Laich

Detroit: Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg

Vancouver: Kesler

Chicago: Bolland and sometimes Toews

St. Louis: Backes

San Jose: Thornton

LA: Mike Richards

This is just off the top of my head.

I think teams realize its important to have that guy who is gonna be on the ice 20 minutes per game, to have a two way game, to be able to play in both ends of the ice.

If we are flipping Pleks... the #2 centre has to take this role, because Derek Roy isn't doing it, and I'm not sure Eller is ready to be a #2 yet.

Again the plan at the draft should be to bring in a rookie centre who develops into a #1, since most rookies can't jump straight into guarding other team's best lines, a combo of Pleks/Grigorenko is nice insulation while he develops (or Galchenyuk)

Good point, I think of the teams you mentioned those teams have far better talent and they can spread the ice time out much more generously then the habs. They basically use 8-9 guys all the time.

I am actually ok with Pacs, DD Cole the habs 2nd line next year.

I don't think Pleks will have any sort of chemistry with Bourque and Gionta. Pleks has a hard time finding chemistry with alot of wingers.

Now put Grigerenko between them, i like that alot better.