Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If what AK46 says is true, I'd say lock him up. 3M$ / 4 years.

You do realize that's a pay cut from what he's getting already, right? He may be willing to take less but I'm almost positive that doesn't mean take a pay cut.

You do realize that's a pay cut from what he's getting already, right? He may be willing to take less but I'm almost positive that doesn't mean take a pay cut.

Why would AK deserve a pay upgrade in the first place? He didn't upgrade his numbers this year. Usually the player explodes in his last year and THEN ask for the big contract.

The quote from AK may seem nice for us Habs fans. It isn't to me. Some are content with little when they can have it all. If he is content with the way he is playing and would take less money for the statu quo, what does it tell us of what we can expect here from him in the future, production wise. That type of player could probably produce more in a non-hockey market like Nashville or Carolina. Less attention and pressure, more able to mind your own business.

Right. Well. 3,25M$ / 4 years. Same salary.

Why is everybody hating on AK? I'd be playing like him too if my coach was treating me like Martin treated him. AK is a 20-30 goal scorer, 30 being on a great year, 20 being on an off year. You look at any team in the NHL and they have a player of AK's offense on the 1st-2nd line. Where did Martin pop AK? 3rd and 4th, then criticize his lack of production. AK will sign for a decent amount with Montreal. I'm guessing in the 3-4m range. He's worth it.

The bottom line is AK is putting up 20 goal seasons on the 3rd line. Only a handful of players can do that. The problem is everyone expecting first line production from a player getting 3rd line minutes. We, as habs fans, know what he's capable of doing, so instead of throwing him under the bus, why not point the firgers at the people cutting his ice time for Gionta and Gomez? Almost a year since Gomez scored his last goal and a shootout oppertunity, had 2 less minutes of ice-time than AK, who put up 2 friggin points.

This is what AK needs, a new start in montreal, sign him for next season, under a new coach and watch what he can do.

Never scored 30,his totals .. 26,23,15,20 and a whopping 11g 9a 20 pts this year.He's a 20 goal scorer,lazy on defense,no hockey IQ,inconsistent,disappears in the playoffs and gets as much ice time as any of the forwards,when he's not dogging it. Get what you can and move on

If PG can get a good return for him, by all means, move him. But if it's underwhelming, I have no problem signing him to 3.75M$/4-5 years. Once this disaster of a team is sorted out, and Ak is the #6 forward, he'll contribute 40-55 points every year. He hits, he skates, has a shot that has to be respected, but he's streaky. Seriously, the Habs are not full of offensively gifted prospects looking for a roster spot, and you won't get any better on the open market. AK is a known commodity, and you might sign someone at 4M$+ as a UFA who has the same stats, but hasn't spent the last 3 seasons in a defensive system.

You will never fill your team with a bunch of 30 goal scorers who are consistent. 3.75M$ is reasonable for what he brings, he's comfortable in Montreal, and he's not a distraction in any way in the lockey room. Remember, Erik Cole signed for 4.5M$/year after putting up 26 goals for the Canes. AK can score 26 too, and he's 26, not 33 like Cole.

Appreciate what AK is as a player, what he brings, and you'll realize if he signs for about 3.75-4M$/year, you're getting excellent value. Streaky or not, 30 goals or not. In a cap system, value is everything.

If PG can get a good return for him, by all means, move him. But if it's underwhelming, I have no problem signing him to 3.75M$/4-5 years. Once this disaster of a team is sorted out, and Ak is the #6 forward, he'll contribute 40-55 points every year. He hits, he skates, has a shot that has to be respected, but he's streaky. Seriously, the Habs are not full of offensively gifted prospects looking for a roster spot, and you won't get any better on the open market. AK is a known commodity, and you might sign someone at 4M$+ as a UFA who has the same stats, but hasn't spent the last 3 seasons in a defensive system.

You will never fill your team with a bunch of 30 goal scorers who are consistent. 3.75M$ is reasonable for what he brings, he's comfortable in Montreal, and he's not a distraction in any way in the lockey room. Remember, Erik Cole signed for 4.5M$/year after putting up 26 goals for the Canes. AK can score 26 too, and he's 26, not 33 like Cole.

Appreciate what AK is as a player, what he brings, and you'll realize if he signs for about 3.75-4M$/year, you're getting excellent value. Streaky or not, 30 goals or not. In a cap system, value is everything.

This.

It is easy to say "trade him and move on". But move on to what ? Bringing a AK style player that never played here and then bitch about his stats. Might as well keep AK.

This.

It is easy to say "trade him and move on". But move on to what ? Bringing a AK style player that never played here and then bitch about his stats. Might as well keep AK.

Yes. This.

Why would AK deserve a pay upgrade in the first place? He didn't upgrade his numbers this year. Usually the player explodes in his last year and THEN ask for the big contract.

It matters not if he does or doesn't deserve it. It is extremely rare for a player to get a cheaper deal in his first time as a UFA than he did as an RFA. With more teams in the bidding, his money inherently increases. Kostitsyn is putting up comparable numbers to his career averages which means he's not in decline. Someone will give him more than he's getting now, I can pretty much guarantee that.

It matters not if he does or doesn't deserve it. It is extremely rare for a player to get a cheaper deal in his first time as a UFA than he did as an RFA. With more teams in the bidding, his money inherently increases. Kostitsyn is putting up comparable numbers to his career averages which means he's not in decline. Someone will give him more than he's getting now, I can pretty much guarantee that.

I can see more then a few teams offering him $4.5M. I think some people need to be careful for what they wish for. We could trade him for a 2nd or even a late 1st and then watch him score 30 to 35 by going to a more offensive system. In trying to replace him, i can also see us signing another Samsonov or god forbid a Hemsky type player for similar numbers. Cole is really the first free agent we have EVER signed that has been a complete success (Gionta has been good, but he has not come close to putting forth the same consistent effort that Cole has and has been - knock on wood - as durable) and even then given his age, there is still some concern of at least the last year of the deal.

I'd like the habs to sign him, get a new management team in place that brings in a more offensive high-tempo style of play in place. I'm sick and tired of watching sitting back, "try not to lose" hockey. I'm also tired of having good players come here and put up very ordinary numbers and have players that did nothing here suddenly put up career numbers elsewhere, but do so with regularity.

You're absolutely right, and I believe he'll flourish with another team. You just get the feeling he'll finally become a 30 goal man somewhere else. Seems like our luck anyway.

Found this quote from Melnick about PK.... sums it up rather well...

"The idiocy of the "let's trade PK (and Price) brigade embarrasses this market more than Pierre Gauthier does. Subban is in his second NHL season. What's Drew Doughty doing in LA? Ok, I'll tell you. In 43 games Doughty is 3-17-20 pts +1. Subban, in 46 games, is 3-16-19 pts -1. Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers has 8 points in 27 games this season, has been a healthy scratch, and is -8. In his 2nd NHL season Jack Johnson had 11 points and was -18. Second year defenseman Cam Fowler has played 45 games this season. He's 3-15-18 pts -13. And to save us both a lot of time I'll just jump ahead to Zdeno Chara who, in his second full season, played 65 games and was 2-9-11 pts -27. Chara had a similar third full season before his imbecile of a GM lost patience and dealt him to Ottawa. What's that old saying about history?"

The big problem with this franchise - aside from patience, is that it sees any controversy a an affront to the image of the franchise. My fear is that the perception of Subban being a malcontent, or going against the grain, will be a bigger reason for trading him, then how his development is coming across.

I don't think there is another franchise, who starts dumping players for perceptions of having a bad attitude, to talkative/controversial or immature (imagine that suddenly rich 19-23 year olds might lack maturity). That was one of the reasons chelios was moved, Carbo was moved after giving the bird to some photographers at a golf game and over the past 5-6 years a lot of young players have been dumped (Grabs, Ribeiro, SK74, Lats, Laps, Cammy).

Instead of trying to deal with and finding a way to correct the situation this franchise seems intent on giving away players to avoid bad press. This is why I really think having an assistant coach like Robinson to mentor a guy like Subban would go a long ways to make him a better player and professional.

"The idiocy of the "let's trade PK (and Price) brigade embarrasses this market more than Pierre Gauthier does. Subban is in his second NHL season. What's Drew Doughty doing in LA? Ok, I'll tell you. In 43 games Doughty is 3-17-20 pts +1. Subban, in 46 games, is 3-16-19 pts -1. Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers has 8 points in 27 games this season, has been a healthy scratch, and is -8. In his 2nd NHL season Jack Johnson had 11 points and was -18. Second year defenseman Cam Fowler has played 45 games this season. He's 3-15-18 pts -13. And to save us both a lot of time I'll just jump ahead to Zdeno Chara who, in his second full season, played 65 games and was 2-9-11 pts -27. Chara had a similar third full season before his imbecile of a GM lost patience and dealt him to Ottawa. What's that old saying about history?"

Why,when comparing D-men are people only pointing out offensive stats/pt totals ? I'll take Seabrook over any of those(except Chara) and he's at 3 12 15 last I checked

I've seen some rumours,but the last player on this team we should trade is Pleks,especially if there's no #1 ctr coming back. he's an excellent two way #2 ctr,and head and shoulders above DD(no pun intended) and Eller at this point of their careers

I agree...saying he'll take a hometown discount doesn't mean he wants a pay cut, just that he'll take less than he would get on the open market to stay in Montreal.

The quote from AK may seem nice for us Habs fans. It isn't to me. Some are content with little when they can have it all. If he is content with the way he is playing and would take less money for the statu quo, what does it tell us of what we can expect here from him in the future, production wise. That type of player could probably produce more in a non-hockey market like Nashville or Carolina. Less attention and pressure, more able to mind your own business.

He doesn't necessarily deserve a pay increase, but in the current CBA, as a UFA, he gets a minimum 10% increase.

I agree...saying he'll take a hometown discount doesn't mean he wants a pay cut, just that he'll take less than he would get on the open market to stay in Montreal.

He doesn't necessarily deserve a pay increase, but in the current CBA, as a UFA, he gets a minimum 10% increase.

Thats an RFA, not a UFA, and it wouldn't even apply to AK as he makes over 3 million so there is no increase necessary.

The 10% increase on your qualifying offer only applies to RFAs who made below 1 million.

I was gonna say... giving a minimum increase to a UFA player is essence putting a restriction on what you can offer him, making it an inherent contradiction.

Reports saying Gauthier is being told to aquire a top line forward and that nobody on the roster is off limits.

Sounds like the owner is directly stepping in on GM actions. This is going to work, going to make the team better, right? Worked in Toronto for about 20 years before Burke. /sarcasm

I think we're in for a darker age with the Habs.

I am all for trading Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Desharnais and Moan if right deal(s) can be had, but i would be just as happy to have all 4 come next fall, with Kostitsyn signed long term.

People still quote just his scoring stats, but he is still a top hitter/forechecker on the team and he still makes me laugh everytime he falls down for no reason whatssoever, other than he is simply clumbsy!

But i do think trading 1 small centre (at least) is needed and if both Plekanec and Desharnais were shipped out (maybe packaged with a Moan/Weber/Gill) and got a big centre back of Plekanec's calibre and stuff, it would seem logical and a big reshaping of small forward group.

I am happy with Kaberle and his experiance will be valuable for next couple years. i am not sure why many seem to want to see him gone?

A Subban trade wouldnt be the worst that could happen to team, if the return was worth it, but Price and picks, prospects are only ones i would not want to part with.

Reports saying Gauthier is being told to aquire a top line forward and that nobody on the roster is off limits.

Sounds like the owner is directly stepping in on GM actions. This is going to work, going to make the team better, right? Worked in Toronto for about 20 years before Burke. /sarcasm

I think we're in for a darker age with the Habs.

Eklund?