Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Morrow was to become a Canadien, it would basically be the end of Moen. So without a doubt a trade would be in the works for cap space.

I get why that connection would be made with regard to salaries (since Morrow would command an amount similar to Moen) but they play vastly different styles. Morrow is an offensive forward, Moen is one of the few defensive-minded guys the team has; the only real similarity they have is that both had a comparable amount of hits last year. Can they afford to add another offence-first player at the expense of a defence-first one?

Guest Stogey24

I get why that connection would be made with regard to salaries (since Morrow would command an amount similar to Moen) but they play vastly different styles. Morrow is an offensive forward, Moen is one of the few defensive-minded guys the team has; the only real similarity they have is that both had a comparable amount of hits last year. Can they afford to add another offence-first player at the expense of a defence-first one?

If Morrow is going to get points or help produce them, then yes; I think move Moen out. Morrow had 25 points last year compared to Moen's 6 points. The offensive side of Morrow's game out weighs Moen's defensive awareness. Moen was a ghost at times last year.

If Morrow is going to get points or help produce them, then yes; I think move Moen out. Morrow had 25 points last year compared to Moen's 6 points. The offensive side of Morrow's game out weighs Moen's defensive awareness. Moen was a ghost at times last year.

So who plays on our PK? Plekanec, Bourque, Eller and Prust? Yikes. Bottom five PK right there. Eller might be ready but Bourque and Prust are both much weaker than Moen on the PK. When Therrien would play Armstrong instead of Moen I'd freak.

So who plays on our PK? Plekanec, Bourque, Eller and Prust? Yikes. Bottom five PK right there. Eller might be ready but Bourque and Prust are both much weaker than Moen on the PK. When Therrien would play Armstrong instead of Moen I'd freak.

The penalty kill is my biggest concern with a Morrow-Moen swap as well. Moen led all full-time Montreal forwards in SH TOI/game last year (Halpern had more but was only there a month) and as you note, there aren't many options. I'd toss White's name in there since he'd be the 4th line C but he played the equivalent of about one shift per game shorthanded. Gionta used to play regularly down a man but saw only brief stints last year.

Guest Stogey24

The penalty kill is my biggest concern with a Morrow-Moen swap as well. Moen led all full-time Montreal forwards in SH TOI/game last year (Halpern had more but was only there a month) and as you note, there aren't many options. I'd toss White's name in there since he'd be the 4th line C but he played the equivalent of about one shift per game shorthanded. Gionta used to play regularly down a man but saw only brief stints last year.

Morrow's a fairly decent two way player and has spent some time on the penalty kill. Morrow was placed in defensive roles in Pittsburgh too. More even strength defensive roles, but he could get the job done if he had to play on the P.K.

Morrow's a fairly decent two way player and has spent some time on the penalty kill. Morrow was placed in defensive roles in Pittsburgh too. More even strength defensive roles, but he could get the job done if he had to play on the P.K.

He played 7 seconds per game shorthanded for the Pens during the season - more than he played in Dallas - and 25 seconds per game in the playoffs. He hasn't taken a semi-regular PK shift since 2009-10 either. Look, I'm not saying I wouldn't necessarily do the trade off but the penalty kill element is a big one. Good teams have three waves of PK'ers; without Moen, the Habs have essentially one player who is strong in that role (two if you include Eller who really just started playing regular SH time last year), that being Plekanec. 5-on-5 I think Morrow would be fine but given how important special teams are (and the fact that before last year, Montreal spent a ton more time shorthanded than on the powerplay in recent seasons), it's a really big factor for me in considering such a swap.

If we're signing Morrow I'd see it more about replacing Bourque than Moen. Bourque had 13 points in 27 games while Morrow had 25 points in 44 games, 14 in 15 with Pittsburgh. He's more of a top nine player than a fourth line grinder. If we traded Bourque I could see adding Morrow but otherwise there's just no real room for him.

If we're signing Morrow I'd see it more about replacing Bourque than Moen. Bourque had 13 points in 27 games while Morrow had 25 points in 44 games, 14 in 15 with Pittsburgh. He's more of a top nine player than a fourth line grinder. If we traded Bourque I could see adding Morrow but otherwise there's just no real room for him.

Or he could replace Desharnais' spot in the top 9 so we aren't replacing our guys with size with a slower guy with less size...

I don't want to be a broken record on here with boring "Dump Desharnais" posts but if there is one spot at forward where there is room for internal replacement, it's the 2nd line center position. Briere, Eller and Galchenyuk are all capable (at different degrees). Moen and Bourque at least fill needs.

Guest Stogey24

Or he could replace Desharnais' spot in the top 9 so we aren't replacing our guys with size with a slower guy with less size...

I don't want to be a broken record on here with boring "Dump Desharnais" posts but if there is one spot at forward where there is room for internal replacement, it's the 2nd line center position. Briere, Eller and Galchenyuk are all capable (at different degrees). Moen and Bourque at least fill needs.

That's true

I agree, but I think Gionta also fits this description (seeing as Briere, Eller and Gally can all play wing anyways). I would prefer to have Desharnais on the team rather than Gionta.

Guest Stogey24

I agree, but I think Gionta also fits this description (seeing as Briere, Eller and Gally can all play wing anyways). I would prefer to have Desharnais on the team rather than Gionta.

Gionta is still a 20 goal scorer and our captain. I could see this year being an injury plagued season for Gionta though...

Gionta is still a 20 goal scorer and our captain. I could see this year being an injury plagued season for Gionta though...

Gio is a significantly better player than the Desharnais we saw last year - or, probably, any year. His health is a genuine issue, though. It's hard not to think that his body is breaking down after years of going up against bigger, stronger players, but hell, I'm no medical doctor.

Gio is a significantly better player than the Desharnais we saw last year - or, probably, any year. His health is a genuine issue, though. It's hard not to think that his body is breaking down after years of going up against bigger, stronger players, but hell, I'm no medical doctor.

Yeah, save it for Marc Recchi.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much everyone in the NHL is bigger than Gionta but I have my doubts on people being stronger than him. Chara is probably the strongest guy in the league pound for pound and I don't know how many times he couldn't get Gio out of a screen on Thomas. It's like watching Phil Espo at times.

Unconfirmed at this time but there are rumblings that d-man Matt Lashoff will be at the main camp on a PTO. He played in the NLA last year and would likely be Hamilton insurance if signed. He was a first round bust of the Bruins back in 2005.

Source on Lashoff with talks of more UFA's possibly getting invites as well:

In other Camp notes, I've heard The Montreal Canadiens have invited a few UFA's to Training Camp. One confirmed to attend is 26yr unrestricted free agent Matt Lashoff who is expected to sign a Professional Tryout Contract in the next couple days.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Josh-Rimer/Matt-Lashoff-will-be-at-Montreal-Canadiens-Camp-on8230/186/53706#.UiaIID-6lrx

Would be hilarious if he made the Habs he's one of the softest pros to ever play the game he would make Patrice Breisbois look like Darrien Hatcher.

The guy can skate but that's about the entirity of his upside.

If he were to play a game or the Habs this year I might choke.

Would be hilarious if he made the Habs he's one of the softest pros to ever play the game he would make Patrice Breisbois look like Darrien Hatcher.

The guy can skate but that's about the entirity of his upside.

If he were to play a game or the Habs this year I might choke.

He's the one who plays guitar and recorded songs right ?

I think Bergevin should be giving Kadri an offer sheet. If he offers $25mil over 5 years there is no downside. He's a significant upgrade as a #1 centre on our club. He's big and plays it and he grew up a Habs fan. We would lose a 1st and 3rd next year. Historically 3rd round pics don't tend to work out, and if we continue our current progression our 1st will be hopefully number 22-30. That's not too much to give up for a top C for the next 5 years.

If Nonis matches the offer, they will have to give up on Cody Franson as they don't have the cap space for both. It's a win win, and it would screw the Leafs either way.

There seems to be some sort of weird fraternity between GM's where they don't like to do this, and I have no idea why not. You are supposed to do whatever it takes to make your club better, and that includes hurting other GM's feelings.

He's big and plays it.... don't let one hit from last year against the Habs fool you... he's a talented player, but he's not a physical one. He reminds me of Ribeiro as far as style of play goes.

As for offersheeting, it just doesn't happen in today's NHL.

Guest Stogey24

His latest Tweet, on August 25th... Hope it helps...

"Another Idaho summer down, back to the Dallas heat for the time being...."

Apparently Raymond is attending the leafs camp