Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

And Dan Cleary who was originally expected to play for Detroit on a PTO signed a three year deal with Philly that's just mind boggling.

Haha, wow. 8.25mil for 3 years. Philly is now over the cap with that awful signing.

Apparently Calgary has been talking to Montreal about Desharnais.

Who are do we want-- or are likely to get-- in a trade. Also, where did you hear this?

Guest Stogey24

Who are do we want-- or are likely to get-- in a trade. Also, where did you hear this?

Habs source on twitter. Highly unlikely, but the two teams do have a history. I would assume Montreal would be out to clear some cap. Calgary has plenty of money to spend

Habs source on twitter. Highly unlikely, but the two teams do have a history. I would assume Montreal would be out to clear some cap. Calgary has plenty of money to spend

Desharnais has been reported to Calgary for months now by several different supposed insiders. To be honest, I don't think it's a good fit - the Flames will likely keep Monahan, they've been using Cammalleri at centre, and one of Backlund/Stajan will be a third centre. It also looks like they're lining up for a UFA spending spree in the offseason so they may want to keep that war chest intact.

I dont think it a great fit for Calgary either, espescially if its going to be cammy and dd 1 & 2 at C.

However, if they were interested in dd the only thing I would want from CGY is draft picks. DD for their 2nd rounder or possibly DD and our second rounder for their 1st rounder.

With the team calgary has it is more than likely that they ll be picking in the top 10

However, if they were interested in dd the only thing I would want from CGY is draft picks. DD for their 2nd rounder or possibly DD and our second rounder for their 1st rounder.

With the team calgary has it is more than likely that they ll be picking in the top 10

Then there's no way they'd deal a top-10 pick for a player who is a 2nd line C at best (even with Montreal sending a mid-late 2nd). You want core front line guys in the top-10, not complementary players.

No need to trade DD now, we still have a spot for him in the top nine and his value will rise with a solid start to the year.

Maybe Scheifele will flounder in Winnipeg and they'll be desperate for scoring help. If Galchenyuk is off to a hot start and it looks like we have enough firepower up front I could see DD moved for picks and prospects. We want to keep on stockpiling assets until the right move for a top player becomes possible; we can't expect our cast-offs to bring in top talent.

It seems like aside from Morrow, there's still a bunch of UFA's you would expect to have contracts, and trainning camps are about to start.

Thomas, Gilbert, Whitney, Hainsey, Gagne, Boyes, Malhotra... Surely all these guys and more can find jobs if they're willing to take a pay cut. Did they just forget to sign contracts??

It seems like aside from Morrow, there's still a bunch of UFA's you would expect to have contracts, and trainning camps are about to start.

Thomas, Gilbert, Whitney, Hainsey, Gagne, Boyes, Malhotra... Surely all these guys and more can find jobs if they're willing to take a pay cut. Did they just forget to sign contracts??

I think most are holding out for money still. Gagne was thought to have a deal with Philly as soon as they can LTIR Pronger but that may not happen now. Malhotra's career is likely over. Boyes is on a PTO with Florida, Thomas (or Bryzgalov) may soon be as well, Gilbert's apparently strongly considering Switzerland while Hainsey may be getting squeezed (let the conspiracy theory about PA player negotiators begin). There have been a lot of PTO's in recent days, I expect we'll see a few more in the near future.

Cleary never signed his contract with Philly (despite accepting it) and is now off to Detroit to go sign there instead.

Lots of rumours on Thomas and Bryzgalov involving both Florida and Calgary.

Malhotra would have signed on the first day of free agency if his eye was fine.

I think most are holding out for money still. Gagne was thought to have a deal with Philly as soon as they can LTIR Pronger but that may not happen now. Malhotra's career is likely over. Boyes is on a PTO with Florida, Thomas (or Bryzgalov) may soon be as well, Gilbert's apparently strongly considering Switzerland while Hainsey may be getting squeezed (let the conspiracy theory about PA player negotiators begin). There have been a lot of PTO's in recent days, I expect we'll see a few more in the near future.

If Hainsey isn't signed by Carolina, whose defense sucked before Pitkanen was announced as out for the year, then you can pretty well guarantee there's collusion to end Hainsey's NHL career.

RDS claims Gagne is about to be contacted by the Canadiens. This doesn't make any sense. I guess it's more 3rd line depth, but we already have bucketloads of left wingers. Maybe he can play on his offside, and add some size.

I think it would be more of a depth signing than for him to be a regular. He's not exactly the most physical of players out there so he won't help in the toughness side of things. Perhaps they'd feel more confident shuttling him in when injuries arise over calling someone up from Hamilton.

I think it would be more of a depth signing than for him to be a regular. He's not exactly the most physical of players out there so he won't help in the toughness side of things. Perhaps they'd feel more confident shuttling him in when injuries arise over calling someone up from Hamilton.

Agreed, it's either him or Christian Thomas to start the year. Bourque-Plekanec-Gagne. Not a bad line, and they will sell a ton of Gagne jerseys. Bergevin is taking advantage of these stray parts like Murray who are going to yield some kind of a return at the deadline or in a trade, but can't be afforded by most teams with the cap.

If he's looking at "stray" parts, Hainsey would have been a good find - and you would think his asking price may be rapidly diminishing at this stage - as a solid, puck-moving defender. He and Murray would look better than Cube and Murray on the 4th pairing...

But: $$$.

If he's looking at "stray" parts, Hainsey would have been a good find - and you would think his asking price may be rapidly diminishing at this stage - as a solid, puck-moving defender. He and Murray would look better than Cube and Murray on the 4th pairing...

But: $$$.

Hainsey signed today with Carolina for $2 million.

Guest Stogey24

Agreed, it's either him or Christian Thomas to start the year. Bourque-Plekanec-Gagne. Not a bad line, and they will sell a ton of Gagne jerseys. Bergevin is taking advantage of these stray parts like Murray who are going to yield some kind of a return at the deadline or in a trade, but can't be afforded by most teams with the cap.

Can we even afford to sign Gagner?

Pierre LeBrun reports that the Habs don't have any interest at this juncture:

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/378283471338094592

I think it would be cool to have Thomas out there, I can see the logic in the Kristi trade, it's good having the young guys in the line up. I'm kind of concerned they're going with the exact lines from last year minus Ryder and Gio. 35 solid games doesn't make the Habs an exact science like the 2012 Bruins, they should shuffle the deck a bit. Especially on D, Murray-Bouillon isn't my idea of a solid pairing. But I guess he can't play #2 minutes either.

Is there some rule whereby every French-canadian player who is shopping for a contract makes sure to float a "rumour" that he is interested in the Habs or they in him? Sheesh. :rolleyes: