Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Gagne if straight up awful now. Holmgren loves veterans and isn't having him return. We should have offered him to be a scout.

He's a band aid too.

Eklund has revived the discussion of a Montreal-Vancouver trade. Apparently the principles are Plekanec and Edler.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Update-The-two-key-rumoured-pieces-in-the-HabsNucks-Rumours/1/53960#.UjW8OT-6lrx

That trade would make a lot more sense if Eller and Galchenyuk were money in the bank. I could see it happening, say, next summer, if all goes well with our young C. At this juncture it'd be a very high-stakes risk by MB, gambling on unproven youngsters to compensate for the loss of our single most important forward. I'd say this is total bunk, therefore, except that MB is too new for us to be sure about.

Can't see there being much in the way of legs to this deal. We have 2.4 million defenders signed, and we have Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn who are all on the cusp. Furthermore, Plex is one of the more underrated players in the game - he's one of those rare two-way guys who can produce consistently and who can check opposition top lines. Edler is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the need in Montreal.

Taking Plex out of the lineup would be a poor decision at this juncture. Sure, Eller and Galy are on the rise, but even when (and hopefully not if) they are #'s 1 and 2, we still need that 3rd line centre who can draw attention from the top two lines - Plex is perfect.

IMO, this trade idea is a non-starter and just a hit-driving rumour for which Ek is known (ACF-4).

Can't see there being much in the way of legs to this deal. We have 2.4 million defenders signed, and we have Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn who are all on the cusp. Furthermore, Plex is one of the more underrated players in the game - he's one of those rare two-way guys who can produce consistently and who can check opposition top lines. Edler is good, don't get me wrong, but I don't see the need in Montreal.

Taking Plex out of the lineup would be a poor decision at this juncture. Sure, Eller and Galy are on the rise, but even when (and hopefully not if) they are #'s 1 and 2, we still need that 3rd line centre who can draw attention from the top two lines - Plex is perfect.

IMO, this trade idea is a non-starter and just a hit-driving rumour for which Ek is known (ACF-4).

I totally agree, but what I'm saying is there's a germ of plausibility in the scenario - just not at this time. Edler would basically be here to supplant Markov, giving more time for Beaulieu to mature while playing protected minutes. And if the two young C emerge, moving Pleks becomes thinkable. The assumptions are these:

-Markov is on the decline

-Beaulieu needs 2-3 years before he is ready to become a top-4 offensive defenceman

-Galy and Eller solidy their places as top-6 C

If all of this holds, then the trade would make sense...sometime in 2014.

Guest Stogey24

Apparently if the leafs decide to keep Raymond after PTO he will sign for 925000. Why did Montreal not pursue anything with him. I know our left side is pretty much filled, but should have at least given him a look.

Apparently if the leafs decide to keep Raymond after PTO he will sign for 925000. Why did Montreal not pursue anything with him. I know our left side is pretty much filled, but should have at least given him a look.

Are you kidding? Raymond is small, inconsistent and as soft as they come. The exact opposite of what this team needs up front.

Raymond isn't what we're looking for, but I think he might fit in well on the Leafs. They need some forward help anyways.

Agreed. Actually, I think that they've got a pretty good crew up front...it's their D that is slightly suspicious. Nevertheless, I believe them to be a better squad than people around here want to accept. Or maybe that's just anxiety talking.

Guest Stogey24

Are you kidding? Raymond is small, inconsistent and as soft as they come. The exact opposite of what this team needs up front.

Nope, not kidding. At 925000 that's decent signing. He's more than capable of putting up 35-40 pts a season. He led Vancouver's fowards in powerplay goals. I'm just saying leafs did well if they decide to sign him.

• 4 weeks later...

A small tidbit from CBC's Hotstove tonight, the Habs did inquire around the league regarding asking prices for d-men because of the current injury situation but didn't like what was out there. Instead, they'll keep playing Tinordi/Beaulieu until the others get healthy.

From Bruce Garrioch today:

While the Sabres decided to keep GM Darcy Regier at the helm and coach Ron Rolston behind the bench, the slow start in Buffalo has many wondering if something might finally give. Talk will not go away that Montreal assistant GM Rick Dudley would be a top candidate to take over the Sabres operation if owner Terry Pegula decided to make a change.

He also mentions that the Habs are shopping for a d-man (although Friedman on CBC last night said they're no longer doing so).

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/12/nhl-coaches-feeling-the-heat-after-firing-of-philadelphia-flyers-bench-boss-peter-laviolette

Guest Stogey24

From Bruce Garrioch today:

He also mentions that the Habs are shopping for a d-man (although Friedman on CBC last night said they're no longer doing so).

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/12/nhl-coaches-feeling-the-heat-after-firing-of-philadelphia-flyers-bench-boss-peter-laviolette

I could see M.B shopping around. Emelin isn't back until December and even when he does return, he's going to be eased into his minutes. With the real extent of Murray's injury unknown, it has to make you think a D-man is on M.B's Radar. Drewiski's return is a non factor in my eyes. Looked horrid in pre season.

I could see M.B shopping around. Emelin isn't back until December and even when he does return, he's going to be eased into his minutes. With the real extent of Murray's injury unknown, it has to make you think a D-man is on M.B's Radar. Drewiski's return is a non factor in my eyes. Looked horrid in pre season.

I would rather they brought Pateryn up to act as a gritty fillin guy for Murray. I thought he was ok during the preseason.

Bring your pom poms, & play safe when called upon.

Drewskie's a weird case - a permanent black ace, who the team appears reluctant to use in any situation under any circumstances, ever. :blink: What's odd is not this lack of faith in his abilities, but this keeping him around on the big club rather than assigning him to Hamilton despite that fact that he obviously has absolutely zero role, now or in the future, with the big league team. Can't recall the last time I've seen that.

Guest Stogey24

Drewskie's a weird case - a permanent black ace, who the team appears reluctant to use in any situation under any circumstances, ever. :blink: What's odd is not this lack of faith in his abilities, but this keeping him around on the big club rather than assigning him to Hamilton despite that fact that he obviously has absolutely zero role, now or in the future, with the big league team. Can't recall the last time I've seen that.

Big fan of M.B, don't get me wrong. There has been some questionable signings in my eyes though.

Are you the same guy that bad mouthed Plekanec and Eller when they first showed up. I see somebody is going after Murray as well as Drewiske today. How about we give these guys a chance to play for a year or so before we decide what their future might be.

Are you the same guy that bad mouthed Plekanec and Eller when they first showed up. I see somebody is going after Murray as well as Drewiske today. How about we give these guys a chance to play for a year or so before we decide what their future might be.

The problem is, the Canadiens seem unwilling to give Drewiske a chance - hence his permanent 'limbo' status.