Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Wise words. We need to look 2-3 years down the line, and we won't be able to replace #79 via free agency due to cap issues. I've said for a while that Beaulieu is a very, very important player in terms of the organizational big picture, and unless we think Pateryn projects as a legit top-4 offensive defenceman, nothing seems to have changed that.

hahahaha he will NEVER play 50 games with the Habs. NEVER.

Guest Stogey24

the kid just needs to grow up, I believe. we can't run him outta town because he's a 21 year old fool. the kid's going to be great, but his problem is in between his ears right now

Yup

To be fair, he's not being given much of a shot. Part of the success MTL has had in the last three years has been due to internal competition, but this isn't an ideal system for young defensemen to prosper. He plays a few games, makes a mistake, gets sent down, comes up to sit in the press box, gets sent back down, comes up, plays a few games then gets sent down.

What did even say after TB? That they sucked? Wow, couldn't tell that from the scoreboard. It's not like this guy is a young Chris Pronger at Jim Kelly's bar or Slava Voynov.

Guest Stogey24

To be fair, he's not being given much of a shot. Part of the success MTL has had in the last three years has been due to internal competition, but this isn't an ideal system for young defensemen to prosper. He plays a few games, makes a mistake, gets sent down, comes up to sit in the press box, gets sent back down, comes up, plays a few games then gets sent down.

What did even say after TB? That they sucked? Wow, couldn't tell that from the scoreboard. It's not like this guy is a young Chris Pronger at Jim Kelly's bar or Slava Voynov.

Lol, I'd like to know what happened

I seriously doubt the Habs would send him down just for some incidental remark. Two things seem to be going on here: first, he has not been sufficiently impressive on the ice to convince Therrien that he should play regularly. Since it's his JOB to win a spot, and since he's done nothing to really nail down that spot, and since his development is best served by playing a lot, I have no problem with that. Second, he is rubbing people the wrong way - either, I'd speculate, through (unwarranted) arrogance or by projecting an attitude of not being a team player. I have no problem with sending down a bad-attitude kid either, since rewarding him for acting like an arsehole will tend to reinforce the behaviour. It's not like the team really needs him right now anyway.

• Upvote 1

The thing to me is that if Beaulieu is getting punished, what's the story with Bournival?

Funny how Nathan Beaulieu is all the whispers while Bournival has not played a single game and keeps getting these temporary AHL assignments.

I think with Bournival they want to avoid the stigma of demoting a full-time NHL'er from last season (since they told him to get a full-time place last year). By doing these conditioning stints (and that's really what these are), he gets to play a bit but still collect enough of an NHL salary that he won't feel completely slighted. Long-term it's not going to work but while everyone is healthy for now, it's a way to make the best of the situation. I don't expect him to have too many more of these though.

And you think is a bit more than simply conditioning for the other young fellow?

Not really, the fact he's going to be recalled Sunday shows that it's a conditioning stint for him as well. The fact that he hasn't played the last few games (since the TB loss) appears to at least in part be his own doing though.

I believe the problem is the roster number. When everybody is healthy 23 players is hard to keep active. We get a couple of injuries, these guys get into lineup. We shuttle players from Hamilton in and out and nobody says anything. Traditionally you would have veterans at the end of lineup and wouldn't be so concerned about impeding their development by sitting them. Now you just got to keep moving up your kids the best you can.

Oh, C'mon Blue Cross...that is ridiculous! NB can't be sent down for conditioning simply because Tinordi is playing well and the Habs need a bigger physical presence in the line up?! Naw, NB must of screwed up...or....wait for it....MT is biased against French Canadian players. I mean look at what he did with Breire last year

I believe the problem is the roster number. When everybody is healthy 23 players is hard to keep active. We get a couple of injuries, these guys get into lineup. We shuttle players from Hamilton in and out and nobody says anything. Traditionally you would have veterans at the end of lineup and wouldn't be so concerned about impeding their development by sitting them. Now you just got to keep moving up your kids the best you can.

I agree. This is why the Sekac signing made and makes no sense. Sekac skates like the wind, doesn't have top-6 talent, but he plays hard and hits. Wait, was I talking about Bournival/Weise?! That's right! We signed another Bournival/Wise type to shuttle three similar players down to Hamilton and sit in the press box.

Uh, Lovett? That is called depth and when one or two injuries start to pile up we will all be glad that MB made sure that we have it

• Upvote 1

Oh, C'mon Blue Cross...that is ridiculous! NB can't be sent down for conditioning simply because Tinordi is playing well and the Habs need a bigger physical presence in the line up?! Naw, NB must of screwed up...or....wait for it....MT is biased against French Canadian players. I mean look at what he did with Breire last year

Now that is RICH!

I have to laugh. This kind of depth is what you WANT. It's nothing but a good thing. It creates internal competition for roster spots, which is what you want. It creates quality replacements when regulars get injured, which is what you want. Instead of being upset or scandalized that so-and-so is being sent down, we should be pleased that our team is in a position to demand only top-flight performance from its players. That's what contenders do. This isn't 2004 any more.

• Upvote 1

I have to laugh. This kind of depth is what you WANT. It's nothing but a good thing. It creates internal competition for roster spots, which is what you want. It creates quality replacements when regulars get injured, which is what you want. Instead of being upset or scandalized that so-and-so is being sent down, we should be pleased that our team is in a position to demand only top-flight performance from its players. That's what contenders do. This isn't 2004 any more.

More importantly, the days of letting every Matt D'Agostini/Aaron Palushaj make a roster spot is over.

That said I want Bourque in the press box for the rest of the year. It's bad enough that people are making Jordan Eberle trade proposals that move Galchenyuk to center while having Rene freakin' Bourque in the top six.

More importantly, the days of letting every Matt D'Agostini/Aaron Palushaj make a roster spot is over.

That said I want Bourque in the press box for the rest of the year. It's bad enough that people are making Jordan Eberle trade proposals that move Galchenyuk to center while having Rene freakin' Bourque in the top six.

Ah, René Dork. If it were me I'd be tempted to hand his spot to Weise. Couldn't do worse.

Guest Stogey24

"I am told the asking price the Oilers are asking from Montreal for Eberle is indeed very high...one key play in the deal would be Montreal defenseman Alexei Emelin. The original asking price had been a deal that included Tinordi"... Eklund

"I am told the asking price the Oilers are asking from Montreal for Eberle is indeed very high...one key play in the deal would be Montreal defenseman Alexei Emelin. The original asking price had been a deal that included Tinordi"... Eklund

That one's kind of a no-brainer. Edmonton needs defencemen and the Habs would need to send a fair chunk of money back to absorb a $6 M salary. Once you work through the blueliners (Markov/Subban going nowhere, Beaulieu/Tinordi/Weaver too cheap or don't fill Edmonton's needs, Gilbert's not going back to the Oilers after getting unceremoniously dumped), Emelin's the only semi-reasonable option by default. Simple process of elimination to come up with that tidbit...