Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

No brain is a good way to describe the rumour at this point. There is no way Bergevin disrupts the team with a big trade right now. Not going to happen

No brain is a good way to describe the rumour at this point. There is no way Bergevin disrupts the team with a big trade right now. Not going to happen

Well just to play devil's advocate, dealing from strength is always the way to go. I mean if we won't make a trade to better the team when we are strong and we don't want to make a trade when we are weak, when do we want to make a trade? Eberle is a real talent, hard to pass up, but he makes way too much money and I see no way that MB is going make any deal like this. Also if EK said it you have a 98.2% chance that he is just blowing smoke. Look at some of the things he posts... this team is talking to that team. No shite sherlock, they talk all the time. Mostly about where the next golf game is. I would think that MB would love to have Eberle but the dollars make no sense. Yes Edmonton could keep 1/2 of his salary but I don't think they want to get rid of him that badly. There are probably a few teams that could make a better deal for them, not a lot but some.

Emelin for Eberle? Any takers? I love our team at the moment, and playing fantasy GM isn't my thing.

in a heartbeat, Oilers fans would totally freak and righty so.

• 2 weeks later...

From Elliotte Friedman:

Had a funny conversation with a GM last weekend. Heard he was looking for a defenceman. He responded with, “Everyone is looking for a defenceman.” Montreal is checking to see what’s out there. The decimated Rangers are bringing in Tomas Kaberle, with no contract offer.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-its-not-going-to-be-easy-for-ted-nolan/

I wonder why we are looking at D? I mean, yes, our d core could be improved but I would have thought getting another forward who can score would be our priority.

I wonder why we are looking at D? I mean, yes, our d core could be improved but I would have thought getting another forward who can score would be our priority.

The blurb doesn't say that they've made it their priority to get another d-man, just that they're checking on the market. For all we know, a scoring forward could very well be top priority but they can ask about both of those and more at the same time.

As for why they could be looking for more defence, it seems evident right now that they don't trust Tinordi or Beaulieu and aren't inclined to play Weaver big minutes (at his age, that's not bad either). That places a lot of strain on the top four and in there, you have a player who isn't the greatest in his own end in Gilbert. In the minors, there's no one down there that they could play more than spot minutes either.

As a result, the cupboard is somewhat thin and even a single injury could be problematic. On here, many would welcome the chance for both Beaulieu/Tinordi to play regularly right now but I don't think those in the organization would be happy for that to happen right now. So why not look around and see if there's a guy that could serve as an upgrade on the third pairing that they'd be more comfortable moving into the top-4 if there's an injury? Of course, the problem is, most of the league is looking for that type of blueliner right now...

The blurb doesn't say that they've made it their priority to get another d-man, just that they're checking on the market. For all we know, a scoring forward could very well be top priority but they can ask about both of those and more at the same time.

As for why they could be looking for more defence, it seems evident right now that they don't trust Tinordi or Beaulieu and aren't inclined to play Weaver big minutes (at his age, that's not bad either). That places a lot of strain on the top four and in there, you have a player who isn't the greatest in his own end in Gilbert. In the minors, there's no one down there that they could play more than spot minutes either.

As a result, the cupboard is somewhat thin and even a single injury could be problematic. On here, many would welcome the chance for both Beaulieu/Tinordi to play regularly right now but I don't think those in the organization would be happy for that to happen right now. So why not look around and see if there's a guy that could serve as an upgrade on the third pairing that they'd be more comfortable moving into the top-4 if there's an injury? Of course, the problem is, most of the league is looking for that type of blueliner right now...

Great analysis, Brian.

It's always good to upgrade and we are vulnerable to injury. Still, I liked Beaulieu's game last night and have found Tinordi pretty good for the most part. It wouldn't kill me if injuries forced us to give those guys more minutes - and I say that as a chronic skeptic about the readiness of young guys to step in and play big roles. So either way, it's all good in my book.

I would add to the conversation, that if a trade was in the works; and I say if, it would make sense for someone to be asking for one of our young defenseman (which is our long suit) as part of the package. We would then be looking to backfill that loss.

During the regular season is when 28 and 24 nnew the opportunity to fail and succeed. I'm very disappointed with MB and more so MTL about the way this situation is being handled.

I think you're right on, they need to play and learn, especially when we are at the top of the standings, if not now when?

These two are really close to being NHL defensemen, and there is a case to be made for your mindset, the AHL isn't going to prepare them for everyday NHL duty anymore than NHL duty is right now, not as much.

We are tied for 1st place, why not let them learn since we are not suffering in the standings?

We need some scoring and to replace Bork and Moan.... it's apparent by now.... even to me who was all for giving those vets a chance but how long does a chance last in today's NHL?

If MB can find a D man, then ok, but to give up a lot for one, unless he is a great one, then why? There's not too many great D men for trade cheap...

I think folks are over-reacting to a rumour that the Habs are "looking" at defencemen.

In terms of what's ACTUALLY going on, both Tinordi and Beaulieu are being carefully worked into the lineup. Both have been given games, both have been put in positions to succeed rather than thrown to the wolves. As far as I can see, that's a perfectly sound approach to developing young players. I see no cause for anger or outrage here.

Guys relax, i think this is greatly overblown. They are looking. Have you ever been on a car lot "looking". Did you buy a car every time? It means absolutely squat. MB should always be out there looking to upgrade the team. If there is a deal to be made he will make it. MT is in charge of ice time not MB.

Guys relax, i think this is greatly overblown. They are looking. Have you ever been on a car lot "looking". Did you buy a car every time? It means absolutely squat. MB should always be out there looking to upgrade the team. If there is a deal to be made he will make it. MT is in charge of ice time not MB.

wait a moment. based on higher math...

MT + MB = line up.

M ( T+B) = line up.

QED. all line ups decided by (TB) :wall:

stop the presses a line up change is in the works.

:halm: GO HABS GO!

wait a moment. based on higher math...

MT + MB = line up.

M ( T+B) = line up.

QED. all line ups decided by (TB) :wall:

stop the presses a line up change is in the works.

:halm: GO HABS GO!

Higher math like advance stats is a pile of crap. :)

I think folks are over-reacting to a rumour that the Habs are "looking" at defencemen.

In terms of what's ACTUALLY going on, both Tinordi and Beaulieu are being carefully worked into the lineup. Both have been given games, both have been put in positions to succeed rather than thrown to the wolves. As far as I can see, that's a perfectly sound approach to developing young players. I see no cause for anger or outrage here.

Oops.

We don't like our kid defenders.