Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Gimme Florida's Nik Bjugstad over both Eberle or Kessel. Now before you run me over the coals, Bjugstad is younger, a huge offensive center, cheaper, and is the perfect compliment to our Habs. The guys on the cusp of stardom..much like the Habs are as a whole. Our core is young as well and with Nik on board we'd progress into...yes, a dynasty. Not like the 70's Habs or the 80's Islanders mind you, but like the Kings and Blackhawks of late.

Gimme Florida's Nik Bjugstad over both Eberle or Kessel. Now before you run me over the coals, Bjugstad is younger, a huge offensive center, cheaper, and is the perfect compliment to our Habs. The guys on the cusp of stardom..much like the Habs are as a whole. Our core is young as well and with Nik on board we'd progress into...yes, a dynasty. Not like the 70's Habs or the 80's Islanders mind you, but like the Kings and Blackhawks of late.

Maybe, but why would Florida be interested in moving him? There's no point in just saying "I'd rather have player X, who is not available or being shopped, than player Y, who is." Apples and oranges.

It's not like any of us are on Bergevin's management staff, so what's it matter what anyone has to say here?

It doesn't matter one iota (at least not in terms of affecting outcomes). As far as the discussion goes, though, bringing up Bjugstad is sort of a non-sequitur, since we were discussing players that could realistically be moved at the deadline. That's all.

Kessel could be this year's gaborik, for a playoff team that's needs scoreing to put them over the top. The thing is he is going to get 29 million over the next 3 years. That's alot of money. It's 8 million a year but bonus put it at 10 million a year over the next 3 years. I would say no to that. But if leafs eat 4.5 over the 3 years because after that it drops off, then I would do it. Paying Phil 5.5 is alot better then paying him 10.

Eller, Thomas, Tinordi and what's-his-name with the huge salary in Hamilton on defence for Kessel AND a pick. Book it Dan'O.

If I am MB I do not trade Tinordi at this point. He is potentially the type of Dman that we have yearned for since I can remember. Just imagine him clearing the crease in front of Price and the opposition would think twice before taking a run at him. Carey needs to be protected.

If I am MB I do not trade Tinordi at this point. He is potentially the type of Dman that we have yearned for since I can remember. Just imagine him clearing the crease in front of Price and the opposition would think twice before taking a run at him. Carey needs to be protected.

Neither do I, if I'm honest. But if you want to buy big, you have to pay big, and if it doesn't hurt you to get a star piece, then you're in HWL or there's something really wrong.

• Upvote 1

Contrast their numbers over the past three seasons. It's no contest.

That said, yes, I would prefer Eberle, for many reasons. But he has NOT produced at Kessel's level.

You mean compare the 3 years when Eberle was 21-22-23 yrs old vs an older player in his prime years? R U kidding?

It's not like any of us are on Bergevin's management staff, so what's it matter what anyone has to say here?

To try and be a bit realistic is always good, and it would take Galchenyuk to get Bjgstad, which aint happening, so why even mention.

You mean compare the 3 years when Eberle was 21-22-23 yrs old vs an older player in his prime years? R U kidding?

I was just responding to a mathematical argument that Eberle and Kessel have comparable production. They don't, and it is indeed partly because Kessel is in his prime and Eberle isn't. Like I said, Eberle would be a far better acquisition than Kessel - so we're all in agreement, I think.

I was just responding to a mathematical argument that Eberle and Kessel have comparable production. They don't, and it is indeed partly because Kessel is in his prime and Eberle isn't. Like I said, Eberle would be a far better acquisition than Kessel - so we're all in agreement, I think.

Yes agree!

No thanks to Kessle or Lupol or Phanuts, not with ten foot pole!

Do remember that the last time Kessel was traded it cost two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick.

His production has gone up since then. Kessel ain't coming on the cheap, and you can probably add a Monteal-Toronto tax to the equation... Habs have to pay more than ANY other team for Toronto's elite players.

Neither do I, if I'm honest. But if you want to buy big, you have to pay big, and if it doesn't hurt you to get a star piece, then you're in HWL or there's something really wrong.

À la Streamer :lol:

• Upvote 1

We'd probably be better off if we stood with what we've got rather than trade for Kessel. Is he a terrific sniper, yes..but pretty sure MB won't jeopardize the future and sell the farm now to acquire him

Say we dealt one player from these three categories:

Player with cap hit: Eller, Emelin

Young player with low cap hit: Beaulieu, Tinordi, De La Rose

Prospect not yet in AHL/NHL: Fucale, McCarron, Scherbak

Plus picks and prospects. So Eller/Tinordi/McCarron or Emelin/DLR/Scherbak or Eller/Beaulieu/Fucale. Something like that. Add Thomas because the Leafs like him a lot.

That would still leave you with all of the other guys plus players like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Hudon and Bozon in our system. So even if the package was Eller/Tinordi/Fucale we'd still have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, DLR, Scherbak, McCarron, Hudon, Andrighetto and Bozon in our system. And now we wouldn't be putting heavy pressure on a youngster like Scherbak or McCarron to be our number one RW because that job would be filled by a five time 30 goal scorer, two time 80 point scorer who did those numbers with Tyler Bozak on his line.

It's a no brainer, even if watching some of those guys excel on the Leafs would hurt. It would be dumb not to do if the Leafs were ready to do it.

Guest Stogey24

Cap-wise, that trade wouldn't fit though because Eller + Tinordi aren't even making half what Kessel is making are they?

We have like 6mill in cap space. Pretty sure anyways

Say we dealt one player from these three categories:

Player with cap hit: Eller, Emelin

Young player with low cap hit: Beaulieu, Tinordi, De La Rose

Prospect not yet in AHL/NHL: Fucale, McCarron, Scherbak

Plus picks and prospects. So Eller/Tinordi/McCarron or Emelin/DLR/Scherbak or Eller/Beaulieu/Fucale. Something like that. Add Thomas because the Leafs like him a lot.

That would still leave you with all of the other guys plus players like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Hudon and Bozon in our system. So even if the package was Eller/Tinordi/Fucale we'd still have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, DLR, Scherbak, McCarron, Hudon, Andrighetto and Bozon in our system. And now we wouldn't be putting heavy pressure on a youngster like Scherbak or McCarron to be our number one RW because that job would be filled by a five time 30 goal scorer, two time 80 point scorer who did those numbers with Tyler Bozak on his line.

It's a no brainer, even if watching some of those guys excel on the Leafs would hurt. It would be dumb not to do if the Leafs were ready to do it.

I'd probably being going on Bet360 and putting some cash on MTL to win the cup if Kessel becomes a Hab

We have like 6mill in cap space. Pretty sure anyways

In terms of acquiring a player, they can add around a $6 M cap hit on deadline day if the roster stays as is between now and then. That's a full-season cap hit; their actual end-of-season projection is considerably below the $6 M. (Just mentioning that last bit as everyone should note that the ability to add a $6 M player doesn't mean they're going to finish the year $6 M under the cap.)