Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Some players just evaporate. Gomez was a superb puck-moving playmaker for years, and then went "poof" for no discernable reason at age 30. Paul Mara had a few years as a 50-point d-man before completely disintegrating, again at quite a young age. Theodore was a superstar and right in his prime suddenly, literally overnight, ceased to be able to stop a beach-ball. Samsonov used to scare the crap out of me, then descended into total mediocrity. You can add Richards to this list - although like Theo, rumours of "behavioural" issues have always followed him around. Ultimately, though, I've always had a hard time understanding the phenomenon of the hockey player who just loses it. I can see it in a game as cerebral as golf where the "yips" take over (Duvall, Woods), but it seems as though, if you are a top player for 3-4 years in hockey, there's no reason barring injury or loss of speed due to aging that you shouldn't be able to continue for a good run. Maybe these guys just lose the desire to pay the price. Maybe they have injuries we don't know about. Maybe they fail to keep up with the ever-intensifying fitness regimens of their peers and competitors. Maybe other teams figure them out.

Richards until 2020 seems like a stupid idea to me, even with LA eating a good chunk of that awful contract. I think MB knows better.

Some players just evaporate. Gomez was a superb puck-moving playmaker for years, and then went "poof" for no discernable reason at age 30. Paul Mara had a few years as a 50-point d-man before completely disintegrating, again at quite a young age. Theodore was a superstar and right in his prime suddenly, literally overnight, ceased to be able to stop a beach-ball. Samsonov used to scare the crap out of me, then descended into total mediocrity. You can add Richards to this list - although like Theo, rumours of "behavioural" issues have always followed him around. Ultimately, though, I've always had a hard time understanding the phenomenon of the hockey player who just loses it. I can see it in a game as cerebral as golf where the "yips" take over (Duvall, Woods), but it seems as though, if you are a top player for 3-4 years in hockey, there's no reason barring injury or loss of speed due to aging that you shouldn't be able to continue for a good run. Maybe these guys just lose the desire to pay the price. Maybe they have injuries we don't know about. Maybe they fail to keep up with the ever-intensifying fitness regimens of their peers and competitors. Maybe other teams figure them out.

Richards until 2020 seems like a stupid idea to me, even with LA eating a good chunk of that awful contract. I think MB knows better.

Good post.

I'm guessing MB pulls off something big tomorrow.. A complete surprise... I'm thinking Benn out of Dallas big...

That would go down as the greatest prediction in this forum's history. Good luck sir, I'm cheering for you

I say he stands pat. Don't over pay just to make a deal on deadline day. If it's going to cost to much walk away. We have money come July 1st, no need to over pay now.

I like your thought but don't know if it is realistic. I do know that the Canadiens have coveted Vlasic for a long time. My guess is they get something done in SJ maybe around a forward if they can't get Vlasic, or maybe both.

I'm guessing MB pulls off something big tomorrow.. A complete surprise... I'm thinking Benn out of Dallas big...

I hope there is a block buster too, so long as it doesn't sell the whole farm...

:rofl:

I say he stands pat. Don't over pay just to make a deal on deadline day. If it's going to cost to much walk away. We have money come July 1st, no need to over pay now.

Very likely scenario.

After Rangers and Tbay added to their blue lines, Habs would like to do the same.

Would be no surprise if Tinordi goes, especially if Petry is in Habs 2015-16 plans.

Could they get a 2nd round pick for him?

(actually a bit surprised he wasn't part of Oil deal)

Would be no surprise if Tinordi goes, especially if Petry is in Habs 2015-16 plans.

Could they get a 2nd round pick for him?

(actually a bit surprised he wasn't part of Oil deal)

I can't see Petry in their plans, unless they move Gilbert. From the sounds of reports in Edmonton, Petry is looking for $5M+.

Apparently as late as possible today (cap reasons) the Habs will consummate a deal for Wayne Simmonds (McCarron +young D)

Just a twitter rumour, though. And IMO, that's too high a price especially when you consider the rumours that Tonordi is in play today.

Apparently as late as possible today (cap reasons) the Habs will consummate a deal for Wayne Simmonds (McCarron +young D)

Just a twitter rumour, though. And IMO, that's too high a price especially when you consider the rumours that Tonordi is in play today.

Hmmm... where they going to get the cap space for Simmonds if they don't move salary out?

New rumours focussed on Eberle and Simmonds - linked to Flynn's acquisition making perhaps Eller redundant. Also Parenteau has popped up a lot. Seems pretty clear, to me at least, that MB is working hard to bring in a top-6 forward.

New rumours focussed on Eberle and Simmonds - linked to Flynn's acquisition making perhaps Eller redundant. Also Parenteau has popped up a lot. Seems pretty clear, to me at least, that MB is working hard to bring in a top-6 forward.

Looks that way, hope you're right...

Guest Stogey24

They wouldn't have sent Tinordi to the AHL if he was going to be a trade piece. That's makes zero sense.

McCarron was a risky draft choice going as early as he did. Clearly M.B and Timmins really like him. Don't see either going anywhere. I'll be pretty upset if either do go!! :( :(

TVA reporting now that Bournival no longer in Habs long-term plans. Between the lines that tells me he could be gone today.

Again, just reporting rumours. This isn't me.

TVA reporting now that Bournival no longer in Habs long-term plans. Between the lines that tells me he could be gone today.

Again, just reporting rumours. This isn't me.

He's the highest-rated Hab on my trade odds. Flynn's acquisition would push me to say it's better than 50/50 he goes today.

What about something like Bournival, Eller, and one of Gilbert/Emelin/Tinordi as a package for a top winger like Simmonds or Eberle or Sharp+?

There was talk somewhere (can't remember where) that Petry could remain longer-term if the Habs could manage to trade Gilbert. He's stated an interest in checking the market, but that doesn't mean his mind will change since he's no longer playing for an AHL team. Time will tell there.