Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

But if they decide to improve defense by moving RNH, for example, then maybe they don't want to go long term with Letestu and cie as 3rd C.

A guy like Desharnais wouldn't be a long-term option either, he has one year left after this. Plus. there will be cheaper 3rd line centres available in free agency this offseason if they do wind up moving someone like Nugent-Hopkins. And, of course, knowing their luck, they'll wind up with another top prospect down the middle in the draft...

A guy like Desharnais wouldn't be a long-term option either, he has one year left after this. Plus. there will be cheaper 3rd line centres available in free agency this offseason if they do wind up moving someone like Nugent-Hopkins. And, of course, knowing their luck, they'll wind up with another top prospect down the middle in the draft...

There needs to be a rule against winning consecutive #1 picks.

Just spitballing here, but am I the only one who could see Eric Staal signing in Toronto and becoming their captain next year?

That all depends on whether Tampa resigns Stamkos... ;)

That all depends on whether Tampa resigns Stamkos... ;)

They would be stupid to sign Stamkos. He would inject some much needed excitement, but right now they don't have a number one center, goalie, or defenseman. This talk reminds me of Habs fans and Vinny back in the day.

Look at how Florida turned it around compared to Edmonton. The difference is Tallon got Luongo and Ekblad has panned out.

Lou ain't stupid... so yeah, I agree.

I also think Stamkos is stupid for not taking the offer TB has given him, reportedly at least. He is not really a dominant player like Toews or Kane, but wants paid as such.

I also think Stamkos is stupid for not taking the offer TB has given him, reportedly at least. He is not really a dominant player like Toews or Kane, but wants paid as such.

He could surely get 10M+ in free agency. He's stupid for declining 8.5?

He may be stupid to leave a contender for a rebuilding team, however. But Babcock is a factor.

Depends on which teams offer him $10m. Tax wise, he may be better off in tampa

He may be stupid to leave a contender for a rebuilding team, however. But Babcock is a factor.

Can he really get that though?

Personally I don't doubt he could out of Toronto, Babcock wouldn't be the reason though, the glory would.

I am saying he is not THAT kind of impact player, so therefore not worth 10 mil to most teams.

He has 40 points.

I think Pacioretty is every bit as good as Stamkos is, would you pay that if he was up for UFA?

The only player that may be really worth that much money would be our injured star Price... If Bergevin offered 10 mil for Stamkos I would be furious and outraged.

Contracts that large just handcuff teams, players get old quick in this league, and handing out crazy dollar and long term contracts is a great way to become the Leafs.

I wouldn't... that's all I'm saying.

Guest Stogey24

Can he really get that though?Personally I don't doubt he could out of Toronto, Babcock wouldn't be the reason though, the glory would.I am saying he is not THAT kind of impact player, so therefore not worth 10 mil to most teams.He has 40 points.I think Pacioretty is every bit as good as Stamkos is, would you pay that if he was up for UFA?The only player that may be really worth that much money would be our injured star Price... If Bergevin offered 10 mil for Stamkos I would be furious and outraged.Contracts that large just handcuff teams, players get old quick in this league, and handing out crazy dollar and long term contracts is a great way to become the Leafs.I wouldn't... that's all I'm saying.

538pts in 545 games. He's been over a point per game player in every season except for his first season and last season. He's worth the money.

This team immediately becomes a cup contender with Stamkos, Max, P.K, and Carey.

Depends on which teams offer him $10m. Tax wise, he may be better off in tampa

a 15% difference in tax rate is pretty big. Not many markets where taxes are THAT MUCH higher.

Also thats assuming he gets 10M exactly. I think there is a chance some team (*hint they just traded their captain*) offers him 11 or 12... and frontloads the contract, which would leave 8.5 in the dust.

No Stamkos' choice isn't about 8.5. Quite frankly its this.

You are 26 years old... your next three years are the tail end of the PRIME of your career. Do you take the money (11-13) and go to your home town team, knowing they likely aren't competing for a cup til you are 29/30 and the slow decline begins in your 30s; or do you chase the cup now while you can join a contender and be a key piece, taking like 10-11 to do it.

Thats what I think Stamkos decision will be.

I think the TBL offer was an initial offer anyways. I see them offering something int $9.5m range. Issue is going to be more does he want to play where h isn't getting top minutes and isn't utilizes a a center. I is getting more ice time over the last month or so, but I think it will come down to whether he wants to play for Cooper.

Cost of living + taxes is much higher in California or NY than florida. Right now would be a good time to go to Canada with the exchange rate advantage. But he'd be stupid to go to Toronto if he wants to win in the near term.

a 15% difference in tax rate is pretty big. Not many markets where taxes are THAT MUCH higher.

Also thats assuming he gets 10M exactly. I think there is a chance some team (*hint they just traded their captain*) offers him 11 or 12... and frontloads the contract, which would leave 8.5 in the dust.

No Stamkos' choice isn't about 8.5. Quite frankly its this.

You are 26 years old... your next three years are the tail end of the PRIME of your career. Do you take the money (11-13) and go to your home town team, knowing they likely aren't competing for a cup til you are 29/30 and the slow decline begins in your 30s; or do you chase the cup now while you can join a contender and be a key piece, taking like 10-11 to do it.

Thats what I think Stamkos decision will be.

I think I would shit myself if he came to Montreal, it would just be so great because every Toronto fan in the world believes that he coming to Toronto if not Tampa.

Think about it............... :devil: (I really thought we had a poop Emoji, but this is just as good/bad)

I believe in sports, players pay taxes for whatever state or province they earn the income, so tax rate would only count for 50% of their games. The low Canadian dollar could be a huge draw considering they are paid in USD. Their buying power would be huge in Canada.

Why would any UFA go to a rebuilding team that plans to finish in the basement for the next few years? That is what I ask every TML fan in regards to Stamkos and none of them can answer. He would be a fool to go there. Maybe in 3-4 years I could see it. Also by my calculations Toronto added 2.5 million to their cap when they took on Ottawas 3 bad contracts in exchange for their 1 real bad one. I think the plan is to play those fringe guys from Ottawa and finish basement again next year. Stamkos would be counter productive and drive them near the cap with a real short roster.

Kopitar got $10 mil for 8 years. I truly believe that this is the comparable that the Stamkos camp is going to use in contract negotiations. As far as him going to Toronto...I could see it. Leafs will be a playoff team within 8 years, especially if they get Matthews this year and a couple more top 5 picks in the coming years. Leafs aren't as far off as we all think. They're a team that is able to attract big name free agents as well.

Why would any UFA go to a rebuilding team that plans to finish in the basement for the next few years? That is what I ask every TML fan in regards to Stamkos and none of them can answer. He would be a fool to go there. Maybe in 3-4 years I could see it. Also by my calculations Toronto added 2.5 million to their cap when they took on Ottawas 3 bad contracts in exchange for their 1 real bad one. I think the plan is to play those fringe guys from Ottawa and finish basement again next year. Stamkos would be counter productive and drive them near the cap with a real short roster.

It all depends on player priorities. Priorities can include:

- Be the highest paid player/one of the highest paid players

- Be in a major hockey market with lots of attention (Toronto, Montreal, Chicago)

- Be in a minor hockey market with little/no attention (Nashville, Florida, Carolina)

- Be in a major hockey market with little/no attention (New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles)

- Be in a minor hockey market with lots of attention (Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton)

- Be on a team contending for the Stanley Cup

- Be on a team with players you like

- Be on a team that needs a player like you to come into the organization

- Be on the team you grew up dreaming to play for

- Be on a team with the staff/personnel you want to work with

Toronto can make Stamkos one of the highest paid players in the league, maybe even the highest paid player, while being a major market with everyone paying attention to him. with staff/personnel he might want to work with (Babcock), that needs a player like him to come into the organization and it's possibly the team he dreamed of playing for (though I've heard others say he cheered for the Red Wings as a kid).That checks a lot of boxes.

Stamkos is said to also be a guy who doesn't like too much media attention (which he didn't get often in Tampa) so Toronto doesn't fit, but if he always wanted to be THE MAN in Toronto, it makes sense. There are only a few teams that can play him the amount people think will be his asking price (over $10M) and Toronto is one of them. The only real stake Montreal has in this is if Stamkos really, really, really wants to play with P.K. Subban.

I think Stamkos is a Maple Leaf this summer and it'll be like when Gretzky became a King. At best he'll carry them to the finals. At worse he'll be the new Phil Kessel.

Kopitar got $10 mil for 8 years. I truly believe that this is the comparable that the Stamkos camp is going to use in contract negotiations. As far as him going to Toronto...I could see it. Leafs will be a playoff team within 8 years, especially if they get Matthews this year and a couple more top 5 picks in the coming years. Leafs aren't as far off as we all think. They're a team that is able to attract big name free agents as well.

He could go to toronto, but don't kid yourself the leafs are 3 years away even with stamkos.

No goalie

1 (young) top 4 Dman.

With Stamkos they are basically the oilers. The forwards are great, but blueline and goaltending need to be built.

So 3 years of not competing for the cup is the MO there. That said, they might convince him that is still worth it for $ and hometown reasons.

I think Pacioretty is every bit as good as Stamkos is, would you pay that if he was up for UFA?

Pacioretty wishes he could hit a one timer with the velocity stammer can.

They look like the same player on paper this season, but over the long term, Stamkos will take off in point production, thus making him worth the pricetag associated.

I actually don't know why Toronto would do this. By the time they have a good lineup, he will be 30. Maybe they have more faith in their farm system than we know. But if they had all this talent in the farm, why wouldn't they be playing in the NHL?

I actually don't know why Toronto would do this. By the time they have a good lineup, he will be 30. Maybe they have more faith in their farm system than we know. But if they had all this talent in the farm, why wouldn't they be playing in the NHL?

They have to do something to keep the fan base engaged, imo.

They have a lot of talent in the system, but its all at forward.

On defence they have Morgan Reilly and a bunch of maybes.... maybe they will be top 4 D, but no sure things.