Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Toronto's farm system is going to get a boost. They have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds and are likely going to add to that when they dump UFAs at the deadline. Their first rounder will be top 5 (so one of Matthews, Puuljujarvi, Laine, Tkaczuk, Chychrun, Sergachev, Nylander, Dubois, Juolevi), plus a mid to late rounder depending on where Pittsburgh finishes and drafts. Next year you can count on another top 5 pick (top 10 at worst) and likely the year after as well. They will also most likely have multiple picks going into those drafts if they continue to trade UFAs and players that don't have a long term future with the team.

And then have to pay them all at once...

Toronto does seem to be well positioned for 3-4 years from now. But Buffalo's done it even better. They're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

But needed to be the laughing stock of the league for the last 10 years to do so...

Nick Kypreos predicts Habs will sign Stamkos on July 1st.

Nick Kypreos is never right.

Who is plan B now?

He made that prediction a few weeks ago too when Tampa played the Leafs. I don't see there being a fit cap-wise unless Plekanec gets moved out between now and then.

He made that prediction a few weeks ago too when Tampa played the Leafs. I don't see there being a fit cap-wise unless Plekanec gets moved out between now and then.

Emelin and Eller moved. DD bought out..... could add 10 million to the coffers. JDLR or Hudon would have to take over third line C

You let Weise go (replaced by Carr)

You let Gilbert go (replaced by Pateryn)

That would save you the money you need.

Emelin and Eller moved. DD bought out..... could add 10 million to the coffers. JDLR or Hudon would have to take over third line C

You let Weise go (replaced by Carr)

You let Gilbert go (replaced by Pateryn)

That would save you the money you need.

Do you think the Habs can move Emelin and Eller without taking any contract back (or retaining salary)? I'm not particularly confident in that happening. I don't think they could with Plekanec either but they could take a cheaper one back with him to save some of the money needed. It's not impossible but unless you think they can dump contracts for picks/prospects alone, it would take quite a few trades/cap dumps to free up the money to get Stamkos.

Pleks and Markov can easily be moved, that's 12 mill right there.

Eller or Emelin would need contracts coming back.

I wouldn't mind resigning weise, he is fine when playing on the bottom 2 lines.

Pateryn is brutal, he is a #7 maybe on bad team. Which the habs currently are.

MB should be a seller at the deadline, the roster has proven to be worthless (minus a handful of players)

Pleks and Markov can easily be moved, that's 12 mill right there.

Teams rarely take on big contracts without sending any money. Even Ottawa offloaded quite a bit short-term for Phaneuf (more than Phaneuf's actual cap hit even). Neither of those players will go without at least one player making decent money coming back. With so many teams tight to the cap every year, it has to happen that way for trades to work.

You have to take something back, but teams out there would take both those guys for a high pick and a player.

Hageland I believe was moves for Perron and bottom pair NHL defenseman. Pleks and Markov are both worth more than Hageland.

You have to take something back, but teams out there would take both those guys for a high pick and a player.

Hageland I believe was moves for Perron and bottom pair NHL defenseman. Pleks and Markov are both worth more than Hageland.

I think there could be a deal out there like that for both (in the 2nd + cap offset range). But the player you get back in either instance offsets your projected savings to put towards Stamkos (and will be worse than Plekanec/Markov as well). If you deal both of them and take a $4 M player back for each (which isn't a crazy scenario), the net savings off next year's cap is only $3.75 M, hardly enough to sign him.

You'd have to do something similar with Emelin, Desharnais, and Eller as well - perhaps more depending on how much you save in each of those deals. That means, to realistically free up the type of money it would take to sign Stamkos, you're essentially dealing away 1/4 of the current team, taking cheaper and likely lesser players back. That's a lot of dilution of team depth at the very least for the chance of signing Stamkos (and that's all it would be, a chance). If they did all that only to miss on signing him, the next best options to spend on aren't anywhere near as potentially appealing.

It's not an impossible scenario to free up the money available to sign Stamkos (or a similarly high priced player). But it's a much more difficult proposition than dealing a couple of players away for picks and maybe buying someone out.

Something rumour-ish: If you play the 'who's scouting who' game, it looks like LA is someone the Habs are keeping close tabs on and vice versa.

Do you think the Habs can move Emelin and Eller without taking any contract back (or retaining salary)? I'm not particularly confident in that happening. I don't think they could with Plekanec either but they could take a cheaper one back with him to save some of the money needed. It's not impossible but unless you think they can dump contracts for picks/prospects alone, it would take quite a few trades/cap dumps to free up the money to get Stamkos.

I think you move Plekanec and you are making a slight improvement in your top 6 but still have ultimately the same problem, the need for 2 more top 6 players.

My hope would be you get Stamkos to fill one of the two holes you have.

I think you can move pleks or Markov for a 1st plus an expiring contract. Than move that expiring contract for more picks.

As an example pleks+3rd for okposo and 1st.

Emelin and DD are more problematic.

I think there could be a deal out there like that for both (in the 2nd + cap offset range). But the player you get back in either instance offsets your projected savings to put towards Stamkos (and will be worse than Plekanec/Markov as well). If you deal both of them and take a $4 M player back for each (which isn't a crazy scenario), the net savings off next year's cap is only $3.75 M, hardly enough to sign him.

You'd have to do something similar with Emelin, Desharnais, and Eller as well - perhaps more depending on how much you save in each of those deals. That means, to realistically free up the type of money it would take to sign Stamkos, you're essentially dealing away 1/4 of the current team, taking cheaper and likely lesser players back. That's a lot of dilution of team depth at the very least for the chance of signing Stamkos (and that's all it would be, a chance). If they did all that only to miss on signing him, the next best options to spend on aren't anywhere near as potentially appealing.

It's not an impossible scenario to free up the money available to sign Stamkos (or a similarly high priced player). But it's a much more difficult proposition than dealing a couple of players away for picks and maybe buying someone out.

Something rumour-ish: If you play the 'who's scouting who' game, it looks like LA is someone the Habs are keeping close tabs on and vice versa.

I think you can move pleks or Markov for a 1st plus an expiring contract. Than move that expiring contract for more picks.

As an example pleks+3rd for okposo and 1st.

Emelin and DD are more problematic.

I can safely say there's no chance whatsoever - none - that the Islanders would even entertain that type of deal. They're arguably giving up the better player plus the better pick and are taking on $6 million for two more years. They're in very good shape at centre and are a budget team. They would never in a million years do that. They can just offer Okposo the $6 million and keep the pick and would be much better off for it.

It is highly unlikely that there are teams at this time willing to take on $5.75 or $6 million on next year's cap - one that may very well drop - without sending any offsetting money back. Matching money for this season with expiring contracts doesn't really accomplish much of anything; at this time of the year, it's not really that hard to do.

Here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say St. Louis offers the Habs Paul Stastny in exchange for Dale Weise, Tom Gilbert, and a mid-round pick. Do you, as GM of the Habs, do the deal? Stastny makes $7 million for two more years and you're not sending any money beyond this season the other way. If you do the deal, you effectively cap yourself out of doing anything else for two years. If you wouldn't do that, despite the deal being overwhelmingly in favour of Montreal in terms of talent, there's no way you can turn around and expect other teams to pay a top pick plus expiring contracts only for players like Markov and Plekanec (especially Plekanec since he has two years left instead of just one with Markov).

You don't often take the cap into consideration with your proposals but cap hits matter more now than ever before. With the legitimate threat of the cap dropping (or stagnating), teams will be more hesitant to take on significant money beyond this season without at least hedging their bets somewhat in the form of sending a contract or two back the other way. In years past, I'd agree that they could move one of Markov/Plekanec for a 1st plus expiring contracts. But that was in the era where the cap jumped several million every year no matter what. It's not doing that anymore which means those trades aren't going to happen either.

• Upvote 1

Pleks is a much better player than Stasny is now, so I wouldn't even want stasny.

Isn't Grabowski one of the islanders centers? They will need a upgrade on that. I also read that they have no interest in resigning okposo.

I can safely say there's no chance whatsoever - none - that the Islanders would even entertain that type of deal. They're arguably giving up the better player plus the better pick and are taking on $6 million for two more years. They're in very good shape at centre and are a budget team. They would never in a million years do that. They can just offer Okposo the $6 million and keep the pick and would be much better off for it.

It is highly unlikely that there are teams at this time willing to take on $5.75 or $6 million on next year's cap - one that may very well drop - without sending any offsetting money back. Matching money for this season with expiring contracts doesn't really accomplish much of anything; at this time of the year, it's not really that hard to do.

Here's a hypothetical scenario. Let's say St. Louis offers the Habs Paul Stastny in exchange for Dale Weise, Tom Gilbert, and a mid-round pick. Do you, as GM of the Habs, do the deal? Stastny makes $7 million for two more years and you're not sending any money beyond this season the other way. If you do the deal, you effectively cap yourself out of doing anything else for two years. If you wouldn't do that, despite the deal being overwhelmingly in favour of Montreal in terms of talent, there's no way you can turn around and expect other teams to pay a top pick plus expiring contracts only for players like Markov and Plekanec (especially Plekanec since he has two years left instead of just one with Markov).

You don't often take the cap into consideration with your proposals but cap hits matter more now than ever before. With the legitimate threat of the cap dropping (or stagnating), teams will be more hesitant to take on significant money beyond this season without at least hedging their bets somewhat in the form of sending a contract or two back the other way. In years past, I'd agree that they could move one of Markov/Plekanec for a 1st plus expiring contracts. But that was in the era where the cap jumped several million every year no matter what. It's not doing that anymore which means those trades aren't going to happen either.

Pleks is a much better player than Stasny is now, so I wouldn't even want stasny.

Isn't Grabowski one of the islanders centers? They will need a upgrade on that. I also read that they have no interest in resigning okposo.

The point was to pick a somewhat comparable player in terms of points, term, and money. Stastny quietly has 28 points in 40 games this year, a 0.70 PPG pace. Plekanec is at 42 in 58, or a 0.72 point pace so they're pretty close. Stastny struggled last year but has been better this season. If if helps to illustrate my point, pick a 2nd line type ~$6 million player with term left on his deal and substitute him in my hypothetical scenario as it's the same idea regardless of who the big ticket player is.

Grabovski plays on the wing at times for the Isles. Their 1-2 of the near future is Tavares and Strome. Plekanec at $6 M behind them (they have more faith in Strome than I do) doesn't make any sense when they're a low budget team. They also would like to re-sign Frans Nielsen who is their #2 C right now. Plekanec isn't a fit there.

There were a lot of rumors about Yakupov going to Montreal last year too. I wonder if it's media speculation because Yakupov played with Galchenyuk in Sarnia or if there is some actual merit to it. This is the first time I hear Eller's name mentioned as part of a deal for him though (from the media that is). As a matter of fact, none of the rumors that I'm aware of last year speculated who was going the other way.

Edited by John B

Grabovski plays on the wing at times for the Isles. Their 1-2 of the near future is Tavares and Strome.

That's right. Actually, the line is weird. It is Grabovski - Tavares - Strome...