Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Gettin rid of the 1million to 2million dollar playrs will not get us any cap space nor any return. We need to dump the guys making the money. Emelin, DD, Eller, Markov. These are the guys who make big bucks and will fetch a better return. Trading Flash Byron etc are sideways moves.

• Upvote 1

A guy like Flash is easily replaceable and a free agent in July anyways... i'm trading him for the asset, even if its a 5th round pick, not a great asset, but still an asset.

The money thing, yes I'm talking bigger contracts.

Two seperate issues.

Plus a third round pick... I don't think he'll fetch that much this year though.

Wowza! What a return. He was even worse last year, if you can believe it.

I agree with you there, I can't picture him fitting in the lineup of a winning team, so as a depth player he'll probably get a 7th. (Why does it seem that 6th round picks are never included in trades?)

Wowza! What a return. He was even worse last year, if you can believe it.

I agree with you there, I can't picture him fitting in the lineup of a winning team, so as a depth player he'll probably get a 7th. (Why does it seem that 6th round picks are never included in trades?)

I have him around a 5th. His contract is cheaper than most of the rentals out there which has to count for something.

Guest Stogey24

What I don't get is why Flash was so terrific earlier in the year. Where'd that guy go??

Come to camp in great shape, have a step on a lot of guys in the league to start to the year. As the season goes on, other players get their form back and the Fleishman's of the league can't keep up.

Markov to Washington seems to be buzzing more and more as the deadline approaches. I salute Andrei with his service to the Habs for years, but draft picks help us and him in his quest for the cup! Make it happen MB!

Yeah, seeing The General lift the Cup would be something special - even if it has to happen on another team.

I always longed to see Saku Koivu raise Lord Stanley's Mug. Had he done it with us, it would have been the greatest Habs-related moment of my lifetime. Had it happened with Anaheim, it would have been bittersweet, but still moving.

Markov isn't in that category, but he has still been, quietly, one of the greatest Montreal Canadiens of his generation. That it's been a pathetic generation by the standards of history doesn't take away from his excellence.

Markov to Washington seems to be buzzing more and more as the deadline approaches. I salute Andrei with his service to the Habs for years, but draft picks help us and him in his quest for the cup! Make it happen MB!

Washington is basically capped out this year and have a lot of money locked in for next year already with quite a few vacancies to fill; they can't absorb Markov's cap hit without sending comparable money back. For a Markov deal to work, they quite likely have to take Brooks Laich ($4.5 M) back which is a major red flag for me.

Markov isn't in that category, but he has still been, quietly, one of the greatest Montreal Canadiens of his generation. That it's been a pathetic generation by the standards of history doesn't take away from his excellence.

Markov was the reason we finished 7th all those years instead of 10th or worse. We owe almost a decade of playoff hockey to him.

Washington is basically capped out this year and have a lot of money locked in for next year already with quite a few vacancies to fill; they can't absorb Markov's cap hit without sending comparable money back. For a Markov deal to work, they quite likely have to take Brooks Laich ($4.5 M) back which is a major red flag for me.

If we hypothetically make this deal, what sort of return would make it worthwhile to take on a bad contract AND give up a good veteran D-man? Seems like it would have to be pretty substantial.

Markov would get a 1st plus an average defenseman back. There are a lot of teams that would want Markov, not sure the 12 teams he can be moved to but Kings, Hawks, Caps and the Panthers I'm sure would want him.

MB has to make some significant moves to address next years roster, the group he has assembled is marginally better than an average AHL team.

The UFA's are no brainers,

Markov would get a 1st plus an average defenseman back. There are a lot of teams that would want Markov, not sure the 12 teams he can be moved to but Kings, Hawks, Caps and the Panthers I'm sure would want him.

MB has to make some significant moves to address next years roster, the group he has assembled is marginally better than an average AHL team.

The UFA's are no brainers,

He would get that back... the issue is finding a team that can take his contract next year is tough

Even just a 1st for Markov wouldn't happen, unless he didn't have that next year on contract, then maybe? But some GMs make goofy deals and would love to see Timmins with two 1st picks again.

Guest Stogey24

Even just a 1st for Markov wouldn't happen, unless he didn't have that next year on contract, then maybe? But some GMs make goofy deals and would love to see Timmins with two 1st picks again.

I keep hearing to rentals will get a 1st.

There were rumors early in the season that the Caps might trade Marcus Johansson. He's an RFA this summer and it's believed that they will not be able to afford a long term extension for him. Markov likely wouldn't be enough, but if there were other pieces involved maybe something could be worked out. There are a few teams that are apparently looking for defenseman. Boston, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Washington are the ones I've read about in rumor reports. Obviously Edmonton is as well, but I doubt Markov is what they're looking for. I wouldn't be shocked if Arizona, Carolina, Detroit, New Jersey, and San Jose could also be looking at adding a defenseman.