Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Guest Stogey24

Petry sucks ass. Add him to the list of overpaid complementary players, and this is year one of six.

He's been terrible this year. It's not a coincidence that since he's been out of the line, the defensive zone lapses(no look pass up the middle of the ice) have dropped drastically.

I find it unbelievable how it's unfolded between TBL and stamkos. Makes you wonder, do they know something we don't, or are yzerman and cooper just plaIn stupid?

Lots of question to ask. Does stamkos have lingering effects of his injury that are causing concern? Does he just not want to be there anymore? Does he just want the go home and they are concerned about his commitment? Are they just concerned that his drop in production is a new reality? Is yzerman supporting cooper because he feels stamkos has to change his game now for TBL to be successful the way bowmon made yzerman change his game 22-23 years ago? Is cooper really as dumb as MT in just sticking with the guys he knew from the minors?

I suspect Cooper really is an arsehole who decided to pick a fight with his superstar C. Yzerman, that old-school NHLer, is 'standing by his coach.' Never underestimate the stupidity of that 'interchangeable mass' of NHL coaches I've been blathering about.

That said, if you look at Stamkos's numbers, he used to be a 95-point superstar, but he actually hasn't come close to that level of production in three seasons. He can still score for sure, but he's more like a 40-goal guy rather than the 50-60-goal guy he was in his early 20s. Statistically, indeed, he looks kind of like Max Pacioretty II. And this is did not just start this year, it was true last season as well.

So your concerns are absolutely valid. I hope teams are scouting him very carefully to make sure he hasn't lost a bit of explosiveness (due, say, to the leg injury) or something. It's possible that, relieved of Cooper, he will explode back into form. Or maybe what you see is what you get: a 75-point, 40-goal scorer.

Anyway, Commandant's post about paying huge money to 3-4 super-elite players was excellent. So, we lock up $30 mil + in Subban, Price, and Stamkos. Maybe pay another $8 mil to Patches. That pipeline of young talent had better be working damned hard.

In terms of signing Stamkos, after thinking it over, I say: sign him and trade Plekanec, who will become redundant at C behind Stamkos and Galchenyuk. There's $6 mil saved, and good assets brought back in return for Pleks, who will have value on the market. You then need to find another $4 mil. Well, waive Desharnais and bury him in the minors. Don't re-sign Gilbert, and Bob's your uncle.

So, it IS feasible in the short run at least. Unless something is wrong with Stamkos, let's hope Grizzly Adams makes it happen!

He's been terrible this year. It's not a coincidence that since he's been out of the line, the defensive zone lapses(no look pass up the middle of the ice) have dropped drastically.

He was very good when the team was very good in October/November.

His dip in play has coincided with him being out of the lineup and listed as day-to-day on a number of occasions since mid december.

I think thats no coincidence, and he has some sort of nagging injury.

He was very good when the team was very good in October/November.

His dip in play has coincided with him being out of the lineup and listed as day-to-day on a number of occasions since mid december.

I think thats no coincidence, and he has some sort of nagging injury.

I could be wrong, but I think the slide in his play coincides with when Benn destroyed him.

• Upvote 1

I could be wrong, but I think the slide in his play coincides with when Benn destroyed him.

Same time period, yes.

I don't know enough about what is going on medically to say it was that hit and not something else... but the timing is right, and its very plausible.

Elliotte Friedman is doing a Reddit AMA and was asked if Montreal would be buyers or sellers:

"Sell, sell, sell. To me, biggest question is if someone makes a pitch for a player like Galchenyuk. MON won't do it unless it gets someone with term back. A comparatively-aged player, if you will."

Elliotte Friedman is doing a Reddit AMA and was asked if Montreal would be buyers or sellers:

"Sell, sell, sell. To me, biggest question is if someone makes a pitch for a player like Galchenyuk. MON won't do it unless it gets someone with term back. A comparatively-aged player, if you will."

If they are trading Galchenyuk it better be for Stamkos cause a real coach would turn him into a superstar.

First off, no way do I deal galchenyuk for a pending UFA. Secondly, our current coach would probably turn Stamkos into a 15 goal scorer.

If they are trading Galchenyuk it better be for Stamkos cause a real coach would turn him into a superstar.

First off, no way do I deal galchenyuk for a pending UFA. Secondly, our current coach would probably turn Stamkos into a 15 goal scorer.

But as I said a real coach would recognize a 40 goal scorer when he saw one. And yes I agree Le Genius would turn Stamkos into a 4th liner. Too much dash Too much Flash.

Guest Stogey24

Sometimes I think Friedman just says things to stir the pot. Like what would we gain by moving Galchenyuk, he fits in well with Montreal.

Bergevin wants a 2nd and 3rd for Weise, will he get it?

I was wondering if he would even get a 2nd pick for him? But AK46 and Gill both got a 2nd didn't they?

I can't see him fetching both of those picks. If it's a 2nd, I think they'd have to wait until 2017 or 2018 to get it. Just a hunch.

Sometimes I think Friedman just says things to stir the pot. Like what would we gain by moving Galchenyuk, he fits in well with Montreal.

Do they feel he's best suited to play the wing? Is there a similarly-aged player out there that in their eyes is comparable and would fit better at centre? Does management feel Galchenyuk is a 55-60 point guy and someone else thinks he could be a ~70 point player? The value in a trade coming back the other way might be enough to justify it.

More from Friedman when asked if there were any deals that would have changed the landscape of hockey that fell through at the last minute:

"Marian Hossa to MON the year he went to PIT. The Canadiens thought they had a deal."

Still more, when asked if he could see the Habs trading Plekanec or Markov:

Plekanec? I could see it. Markov? Tough one. He's really slowed.

When asked if Weise will be traded, who would be interested:

"Could see Nashville, Detroit, Anaheim. Probably more. He's a confident guy. Important talent to have"

Will the Habs be pure sellers at the deadline or will they be in the market to buy at all?

The most likely thing for MON if they add is for a young player with team control. For example, the only way I'd see Galchenyuk moved is if comes for someone like him, contract-wise. MON would own his rights for awhile.

Is there traction to Nathan Beaulieu trade-talk?

Id say yes

According to Eric Engels (Sportsnet), the Habs are showing interest in Calgary C Mikael Backlund. He's 26 and has two years left at $3.575 M after this season. 30 points in 58 games this year.

If a deal were to happen, I'd have to think Eller would be going the other way.

According to Eric Engels (Sportsnet), the Habs are showing interest in Calgary C Mikael Backlund. He's 26 and has two years left at $3.575 M after this season. 30 points in 58 games this year.

What's the point? Is MB as sick of watching Eller as us? Or is there something I don't know about Backlund?

Tit for Tit trade. no thanks

Would you trade Galchenyuk for Nichuskin or Rantanen?

I would. For either.

What's your reasoning? How are either of these guys more valuable than Chucky?

What's the point? Is MB as sick of watching Eller as us? Or is there something I don't know about Backlund?

I don't get it either. Seems like a lateral move shuffling secondary players.

Yes, because we need more small perimeter forwards.

Can't have enough of those, 4th liners and #7 defenseman.

I'm sure more are on the way.

And of course we need more AHL goalies we only have 2 you should have 4 or 5.