Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

No actual rumour here, but wondering what people think about trying to sign Kovalchuk. Looks like his time is done in the KHL and he's a legit 40 goal scorer. I can't imagine him meshing well with MT, but signing him is more about next season anyways.

And NJ has first dibs on him don't they?

I couldn't remember how that ended off. I suspect they would have dibs, but you wondering with Lou gone whether they're eager to jump aboard that train again.

Wouldn't signing a guy who was benched for poor performance in a much inferior league constitute yet another Kassian/Semin-style 'patch-up' move of the sort that many on this board have been decrying?

Wouldn't signing a guy who was benched for poor performance in a much inferior league constitute yet another Kassian/Semin-style 'patch-up' move of the sort that many on this board have been decrying?

I don't know, he has had periods where he has gone cold. But he has always come back, real goal scorers tend to be streaky a la Patches. Do not want to pay him 10 mill a year though.

The team's official statement is poor performance.

KHL media is saying he missed a meeting and has had a poor attitude of late.

he's still been a PPG player and their top scorer, so I seem to think its attitude.

(not that attitude is acceptable, just reframing the discussion).

The team's official statement is poor performance.

KHL media is saying he missed a meeting and has had a poor attitude of late.

he's still been a PPG player and their top scorer, so I seem to think its attitude.

(not that attitude is acceptable, just reframing the discussion).

Good info, thanks

If I'm not mistaken there was an article on the hockey news website about Kovalchuk and what it would take for him to be reinstated after retirement. I can't seem to find it now. It was last year when the Russian economy tanked and there was speculation of some players that could return to the NHL. If I remember correctly all the owners had to agree to reinstate Kovalchuk. It may have had something to do with the fact that he retired while still under contract. It was a really strange bunch of hoops that he would have to jump through to come back.

Edited by John B

If I'm not mistaken there was an article on the hockey news website about Kovalchuk and what it would take for him to be reinstated after retirement. I can't seem to find it now. It was last year when the Russian economy tanked and there was speculation of some players that could return to the NHL. If I remember correctly all the owners had to agree to reinstate Kovalchuk. It may have had something to do with the fact that he retired while still under contract. It was a really strange bunch of hoops that he would have to jump through to come back.

given the way the NHL owners work, Kovulchuk would probably be negotiating with two or three teams. All of the other owners would than block his return.

“It would require unanimous consent at any point at which the player tries to return to the League without having been out of professional hockey [anywhere in the world] for a full calendar year,” Daly told the New York Post in 2013. “Once he sits out for a full calendar year, he can only come back with the Devils’ consent.”

“It would require unanimous consent at any point at which the player tries to return to the League without having been out of professional hockey [anywhere in the world] for a full calendar year,” Daly told the New York Post in 2013. “Once he sits out for a full calendar year, he can only come back with the Devils’ consent.”

I believe he can also become a UFA outright in the summer of 2018 (without needing approval/sitting a year).

Justin Williams did an interview saying he was choosing between similar offers in Montreal and Washington. He said he was picking between the two powers in the east and named Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Johansson (plus Ovechkin) as to why he leaned into Washington. Basically, the centre depth was better.

Justin Williams did an interview saying he was choosing between similar offers in Montreal and Washington. He said he was picking between the two powers in the east and named Backstrom, Kuznetsov and Johansson (plus Ovechkin) as to why he leaned into Washington. Basically, the centre depth was better.

:o

Not surprising when you think about it. It IS too bad, however.

It lets you look at Sharp supposedly saying he didn't want to go to Montreal and Williams preferring Washington's C depth as to why we didn't make any significant moves.

Bergevin should have looked at that and made a real adjustment down the middle. Instead he kept everyone, even after making a public push for Galchenyuk at centre.

Do they feel he's best suited to play the wing? Is there a similarly-aged player out there that in their eyes is comparable and would fit better at centre? Does management feel Galchenyuk is a 55-60 point guy and someone else thinks he could be a ~70 point player? The value in a trade coming back the other way might be enough to justify it.

They know he's a center. Keeping him on the wing saves MB AT LEAST one million a season when his real contract comes up in two years.

ONCE that contract is signed he'll be a center full time.

Play him Centre with good linemates and not just for a game or two. And we have our number one centre we've been wanting so bad. He has the talent to be special.