Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Duchene is a center and Galchenyuk is a winger on the Habs, it's not the worst deal in the world. The biggest concern is that it is a trade that stems from considering Galchenyuk a weak link and so his value isn't as high as it could be. It's not a trade I jump at but it is a trade I make if we have no other decent options at acquiring a center this off season and Gachenyuk isn't considered one by the internal trust. Because we need a center. Duchene is miles ahead of Danault and arguably better than Galchenyuk right now. If Galchenyuk plays center next year, it's probably not a trade you need to make. The "if" is the only reason you consider the trade.  His salary is high but maybe Colorado can retain some and then again Galchenyuk will be making close to the same thing. 

It's a change of scenery trade. The real question is whether or not the scenery needs to be changed. 

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If Duchene is a center and Galchenyuk is a winger on the Habs, it's not the worst deal in the world. The biggest concern is that it is a trade that stems from considering Galchenyuk a weak link and so his value isn't as high as it could be. It's not a trade I jump at but it is a trade I make if we have no other decent options at acquiring a center this off season and Gachenyuk isn't considered one by the internal trust. Because we need a center. Duchene is miles ahead of Danault and arguably better than Galchenyuk right now. If Galchenyuk plays center next year, it's probably not a trade you need to make. The "if" is the only reason you consider the trade.  His salary is high but maybe Colorado can retain some and then again Galchenyuk will be making close to the same thing. 

It's a change of scenery trade. The real question is whether or not the scenery needs to be changed. 

Good points, but as a one-for-one deal it's still an overpay. Duchene has flatlined, scoring 55, 59, and 41 points over three seasons. I get the argument that he needs a 'change of scenery,' but the trade should be predicated on him producing at current levels, not reverting back to his PPG pace of four years ago. I suppose the real question is found in your third sentence: IF this is the only way to upgrade at C, should we do it? I'd be interested in hearing the board's thoughts on the question, phrased like that.

It's also interesting to ask: what if they make this trade, and Duchene plods along at his usual 55-point clip while Galy reverts to being PPG C he was before the injury? Does Bergevin survive the PR disaster this would represent, fresh on the heels of the totally pointless and fan-alienating Subban trade? 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Trade Chucky for Duchene and Ducan Siemens. A tough D prospect. 

Siemens may not be qualified so no need to trade for him. It seems the Avs have kinda given up on him.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good points, but as a one-for-one deal it's still an overpay. Duchene has flatlined, scoring 55, 59, and 41 points over three seasons. I get the argument that he needs a 'change of scenery,' but the trade should be predicated on him producing at current levels, not reverting back to his PPG pace of four years ago. I suppose the real question is found in your third sentence: IF this is the only way to upgrade at C, should we do it? I'd be interested in hearing the board's thoughts on the question, phrased like that.

It's also interesting to ask: what if they make this trade, and Duchene plods along at his usual 55-point clip while Galy reverts to being PPG C he was before the injury? Does Bergevin survive the PR disaster this would represent, fresh on the heels of the totally pointless and fan-alienating Subban trade? 

100% agree.  No way any GM would brains would make this trade.  This would be worse than the NYI trading turgeon to us for muller, because muller was a more complete player (yes I know Schneider and malakhov were involved in those deals), but Muller's best offensive days were clearly behind him. 

People le are mentioning that Duschane would be better with a change of scenery.  Well galchenyuk would be a whole lot better with an organization that handled him proplerly and would get their head out of their ass.

Its also what concerned me about the julien hiring.  Same friggin mentality as MT, just not quite as dumb.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I wouldn't make the one for one trade.  I'd play Chuck at C

100% agree.  And stop screwing around with him by constantly switching positions and playing him with 4th line grunts.

7 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Siemens may not be qualified so no need to trade for him. It seems the Avs have kinda given up on him.

Yep.  If the avs want to trade duschane, Barrie and a 2018 first for galchenyuk, pleks and emelin than I start thinking about making a deal.  Even then I'm not sold.  A point a game centre is hard to find.  Galchenyuk has that potential - duschane does not.  

The isles may lose Tavares.  Tavares and duschane are from the same draft and duschane was actually better in his rookie year.  If your the isles, would you trade Tavares?  I know that galchenyuk is not as good as Tavares, but their is also a pretty big difference in galchenyuk and Duschane's ability and potential.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Siemans is a bust.   

He's basically Jarred Tinordi but drafted higher. 

Yeah, but he's big and tough, so should get another shot...

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but he's big and tough, so should get another shot...

He's not enough to make me change my mind from I wouldn't do a one-for-one trade between the two guys and ok lets do it. 

Throw me Duchene and Tyson Barrie for Galchenyuk and Alexi Emelin and then maybe

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He's not enough to make me change my mind from I wouldn't do a one-for-one trade between the two guys and ok lets do it. 

Throw me Duchene and Tyson Barrie for Galchenyuk and Alexi Emelin and then maybe

i hope you know i was being sarcastic about Siemen.  I'm with you thought, i still would have to think twice about it even if they agreed to throw in a Emelin-Barrie swap.

the only change of scenery that galchenyuk needs is back to center where he belongs. And leave him there dammit. Capn Kirk should work with him on a one on one basis.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, habs rule said:

the only change of scenery that galchenyuk needs is back to center where he belongs. And leave him there dammit. Capn Kirk should work with him on a one on one basis.

He has.

2 hours ago, illWill said:

If Galchenyuk is not going to be a center for the Habs, I would trade him for Duchense straight up

Rather than coach the guy, trade him for the older, inferior player.

Sounds like last summer. 

10 hours ago, habs rule said:

I can see why. 24 points in 200 AHL games, and his hockeydb.com picture looks like an unshowered pervert, or somebody on drugs.

duncan-siemens-2016-690.jpg

51 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I can see why. 24 points in 200 AHL games, and his hockeydb.com picture looks like an unshowered pervert, or somebody on drugs.

:lol::lol:

On Duchene, maybe the real question is: IF Galy is not a C, THEN do we trade him for C Duchene? Because as a one to one deal for C, it's just bad, period.

But the thing about this question is, it encourages us to overlook WHY Galy is 'not' a C. It's a classic case of framing a discussion so as to render invisible the deeper question - to have us debate the chosen solution while ignoring the causes of the underlying problem. In this case, part of the cause almost certainly is Team Fuddy Duddy's inability to make up its mind about Galy positionally, as well as its obsession with a player's defensive limitations *even as* that player generates PPG offence on a team desperately starved for offence.

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Rather than coach the guy, trade him for the older, inferior player.

Sounds like last summer. 

He has been coached for 336 games in the NHL and when the team needed him the most he found his way to the wing on the 4th line. Is he capable of playing center in the league, or in this case the Habs? It's been two coaches now and the way that both of them run their system he isn't working at that position. It's quite okay for a young player to settle into the wing after being a center his junior career. However it's not okay for the Habs to not have a defined top 6 center. That's where you can perhaps justify a  "downgrade" a bit on talent to fill an organizational need. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol::lol:

On Duchene, maybe the real question is: IF Galy is not a C, THEN do we trade him for C Duchene? Because as a one to one deal for C, it's just bad, period.

But the thing about this question is, it encourages us to overlook WHY Galy is 'not' a C. It's a classic case of framing a discussion so as to render invisible the deeper question - to have us debate the chosen solution while ignoring the causes of the underlying problem. In this case, part of the cause almost certainly is Team Fuddy Duddy's inability to make up its mind about Galy positionally, as well as its obsession with a player's defensive limitations *even as* that player generates PPG offence on a team desperately starved for offence.

Exactly. 

They are fine rolling out Duchene and Plekanec who aren't scoring, and literally only playing one-way of their supposed "two-way centre" rolls.  But they don't want to live with any defensive mistakes from a guy who can score. 

With a team that can't score, and Carey Price in net to cover many mistakes... the logic is mind-boggling. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

Yeah I would want a do over on that one. Hide your daughters ....and the sheep.

I'm not sure what to say other than I think people are under appreciating Duchene's ability. He's made team Canada which is a tough roster to crack. 

I made a post prior to the playoffs which stated that I was hoping Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov would be our first line somewhere down the road in the playoffs. It never came to fruition even when the organization had a void at the position. On a personal level, I'm fine with Galchenyuk at center in the top 6 and in fact regardless of what team he is on, I think it's where he should play. That doesn't mean it's as easy to do as it is to say that he should magically be slotted into the position at the beginning of next season when he wasn't being played there in the final games of this season.

If someone were to tell me that there's no guarantee that Duchene would play center on our team if we made the trade, then I could see the argument of it being a dumb move. That being said, if we were to trade for him, I'm sure it WILL have been because the plan was not to play Galchenyuk at center and as a result, I feel as though that argument goes out the window. We can complain about the coaches and management and how "silly" they were not to play Galchenyuk at center in such a scenario but that wouldn't change the reality.

With that in place, as to the question that CC and I have brought up: IF this were the only move made to acquire a top 6 center in the off season AND there is doubt about where Galchenyuk should play within the organization, then I would make the trade. And yes, hopefully it does involve some other pieces and perhaps even the Avs retaining some salary.

If there were a way to acquire Duchene without having to move Galchenyuk, even better. I would first look at signing a free agent center, if there are any good ones out there but this move would be on my radar. I like Galchenyuk but I think Duchene would be a great Hab and even potentially top 5 best forwards in the past decade for us.

Matt Duchene started the World Championships on the second line.  He finished the tournament on the fourth.  He had 1 point in 10 games. 

Matt Duchene of 2014 is not the same as Matt Duchene of 2017.   Thats where we are.  In the last three years he's gone 55, 59, 41 points. 

Would I take him on my team?  Sure.

Would I trade Galchenyuk or Sergachev to get him? No. 

2 hours ago, habs rule said:

apparently Kirkie still has work to do. His number one priority should be Alex.

But Galchenyuk's number one priority after practice is said to be working on his one-timers instead.

"Can lead a horse to water; but, you cant make it drink."

Maybe Alex Galchenyuk Sr. is 'helping coach and advise' him and is not doing well at it?