Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I like the prospect of adding RNH, even if it means losing Gallagher.  Both players are in the same boat, questionable they can rebound to their old form.  Perhaps a change of scenery for both would do them some good and jumpstart their careers.  RNH would no doubt be our no. 1 center just on skill and pedigree alone.  Gallagher would slot in nicely on a second line with Draisaitl.

My guess at lines would be:

Pacioretty - Nugent-Hopkins - Drouin

Galchenyuk - Danault - Hudon

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Byron - De La Rose - Hemsky

And then sign Markov :)

9 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I like the prospect of adding RNH, even if it means losing Gallagher.  Both players are in the same boat, questionable they can rebound to their old form.  Perhaps a change of scenery for both would do them some good and jumpstart their careers.  RNH would no doubt be our no. 1 center just on skill and pedigree alone.  Gallagher would slot in nicely on a second line with Draisaitl.

My guess at lines would be:

Pacioretty - Nugent-Hopkins - Drouin

Galchenyuk - Danault - Hudon

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Byron - De La Rose - Hemsky

And then sign Markov :)

Agree on resign Markov. We have the dough..

RNH is not a #1C. This is what I'm worried about, that if we make the deal people will expect him to be that. He is Plex Redux. One of Galy or Drouin is still going to have to play C and play it well, if this team wants to be anything other than a faux contender.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

RNH is not a #1C. This is what I'm worried about, that if we make the deal people will expect him to be that. He is Plex Redux. One of Galy or Drouin is still going to have to play C and play it well, if this team wants to be anything other than a faux contender.

I think its hard to say with RNH.  I mean, MTL played Danault as their #1 C last year.  Clearly, RNH is better than Danault?  What other options are there for MB, Duchesne is being held captive by Sakic.  Unless, MB is content going into next year with a depth chart of:

Danault

Plekanec

De La Rose

McCarron

and then wait until the moment is right and make a blockbuster trade to acquire a true #1 center mid-season.  One things for sure, I'd like to see DLR and McCarron get ice time over Torrey Mitchell.  Its time to play the kids IMO.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's why I don't want him. I don't want to make a move and waste money on another guy who isn't a true #1.  We need to finally get a real #1C

59 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That's why I don't want him. I don't want to make a move and waste money on another guy who isn't a true #1.  We need to finally get a real #1C

Understandable. My own take on it is that we need to upgrade at C, and even a #2C would represent a huge improvement for this roster. Sure, a Tavares would be ideal, but Galy/Drouin-Nuge would be an acceptable configuration and a big step forward relative to last year's crap. I agree that RNH-Danault is a garbage configuration and if that is the likeliest outcome of such a trade, then we may as well not bother. I'm advocating this deal on the assumption that the Habs are finally going to stop looking gift horses in the mouth and be prepared to take advantage of the fact that they have two highly-skilled young FW who can both play C.

47 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

I think its hard to say with RNH.  I mean, MTL played Danault as their #1 C last year.  Clearly, RNH is better than Danault?  What other options are there for MB, Duchesne is being held captive by Sakic.  Unless, MB is content going into next year with a depth chart of:

Danault

Plekanec

De La Rose

McCarron

and then wait until the moment is right and make a blockbuster trade to acquire a true #1 center mid-season.  One things for sure, I'd like to see DLR and McCarron get ice time over Torrey Mitchell.  Its time to play the kids IMO.

Yes, RNH is clearly better then Danault.  I'd be okay with him being acquired if the deal doesn't cost much from our NHL roster...beyond that I think they'd just shuffle the deck chairs.

I agree with those who said they'd rather see us make a move for a higher tier 1st line C...to me, that means planning a way to get Tavares when he hits UFA next year.

I like Danualt and he can be a good player for this team but it's a travesty that he's being foisted into a first line role.

It's time to give Galchenyuk and Drouin BOTH the chance to be playing Center this year...see which one is the better C by year end.

Trade Plekanec and move Danault to 3rd line C to make that happen.  If you can't trade Plekanec now then do so at the deadline...

Either way, Pleks is coming off the books and clears up enough salary (assuming they don't do anything stupid in our remaining off-season) to make a run at Tavares next off-season.  This is why I don't mind 1 year of Hemsky or trying to do a 1 year deal for a guy like Jagr.  Sure, they become a place holder this season but I can live with that if it meant:

Pacioretty - Tavares - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Drouin - Shaw?? (flip Galy and Drouin depending on who is the better C)

Lehkonen - Danault - Byron

Hudon - McCarron -

They'd basically have around $10-11M a year to offer Tavares with Pleks gone and that's assuming they are needing to add a D-man for around $5M plus a couple minor RFA raises.

Possibly that's not quite enough but it gets them in the mix...if they need to make some added room they could look to move Shaw's contract (would be REALLY nice if Scherbak forced his way into the mix as a RW ready replacement).  Really, that's a very deep set of forwards with only RW being a minor weakness...and I don't see how it's not a real possibility given that it's only going after one UFA and they could have enough cap room.

I'm going to sit on my own island and state that I think Nugent-Hopkins would be a more than capable 1st line center. Then again, I wholeheartedly believe Drouin and Galchenyuk could be as well. 

I had RNH in the HabsWorld fantasy league a few years ago and he was capable of getting multiple point games frequently. I wouldn't ask more from my top line center. He wasn't as good in recent seasons but I have a hard time imagining he wouldn't be able to rack up the points alongside Pacioretty. They could be a really good duo in my opinion. I wasn't advocating for this but I've always been fine with the Duchene and RNH suggestions. 

We truly may already have the answer within our roster though, it's just a matter of whether or not Galchenyuk and Drouin are capable, as well as whether or not the coaches would use them up the middle. I do believe, regardless of position, it would be nice to acquire another top 6 player. The position wouldn't matter if Drouin and Galchenyuk are capable centers. Once we slot them there though, one of our wings becomes a little weak.

At this point if someone were to think out of the box and suggest say Danault to play wing, he'd still slot in best in the top 2 lines so it would almost defeat the purpose. No matter what our forward configuration will be, there's something a little off right now.

17 minutes ago, Davehab said:

I have a feeling that Galchenyuk is still going to be moved. Probably for a dman to play with Weber. 

I agree, but I'd much rather give a chance before we give up assets for a guy like RNH, who may not be all that better.

1 minute ago, habs rule said:

We could pick up Vaneck for cheap, I would think. Maybe 1 year deal for 2 mill.?

No need for him. 

Unless its an absolute elite guy, there are lots of wingers on this team. 

Go Centre or Go LHD. 

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No need for him. 

Go Centre or Go LHD. 

True  I was just looking for scoring @ a cheap rate.

3 minutes ago, habs rule said:

True  I was just looking for scoring @ a cheap rate.

17g in 68gms last year, so could easily be a Radulov replacement.

41 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Tha'ts what I thought.

If the money works, why not? The team needs offence and I doubt Hemsky can be relied upon to provide it. But obviously our big priority should be Markov.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If the money works, why not? The team needs offence and I doubt Hemsky can be relied upon to provide it. But obviously our big priority should be Markov.

Hell even Jagr had 46 points last year. He has missed very few games in the last 4 years that I looked at. Hemsky has played very few games. So we need another guy.

Our wingers are  (not line combos, just showing how many we have).

Max - one of Drouin/Chuck

Lehkonen - Gallagher

Byron - Shaw

Hudon - Hemsky

Thats four lines of offensive wingers

The C, and LHD have huge holes. 

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Our wingers are  (not line combos, just showing how many we have).

Max - one of Drouin/Chuck

Lehkonen - Gallagher

Byron - Shaw

Hudon - Hemsky

Thats four lines of offensive wingers

The C, and LHD have huge holes. 

Unless Drouin and Galchenyuk both move to C...

1 of only 2 "gritty forwards they have. 

that is one soft top 9. 

With CJ coaching, i have no idea how that will work. He likes the physical element to his teams. kind of reminds of what happened his first go around. 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

No need for him. 

Go Centre or Go LHD. 

Nothing wrong with getting a winger. We have a lot of potential centers as well.

Galchenyuk

Drouin

Danault

Plekanec

Shaw

De La Rose

Mitchell

Vanek is probably the best available player left and did quite well last season. If you sign him, just move Galchenyuk or Drouin to center. I think Vanek would help out. 

11 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Nothing wrong with getting a winger. We have a lot of potential centers as well.

Galchenyuk

Drouin

Danault

Plekanec

Shaw

De La Rose

Mitchell

Vanek is probably the best available player left and did quite well last season. If you sign him, just move Galchenyuk or Drouin to center. I think Vanek would help out. 

best player available is jagr.