Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, Scott462 said:

If we make the playoffs, do we still want to move Jordie Benn though? 

I think he is a serviceable defender on the third line. I think he is more of a off season move if anything. 

He's a UFA, I take what we can get for him now. 

1) Im not convinced we are a cup contender even if we make the playoffs.

2) I'm not convinced Jordie Benn is that much better than AHL depth that would replace him so as to make a difference for us. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

1) Im not convinced we are a cup contender even if we make the playoffs.

2) I'm not convinced Jordie Benn is that much better than AHL depth that would replace him so as to make a difference for us. 

I am convinced they are not a contender; #1 offensive guy is like 60th in scoring race...so STILL ZERO all star forwards for 9th year in a row and only have  2 top 4 d-men, so is hopeless to win a cup this year...with current roster.

Who in AHL could successfully play 5:40 on the PK? I think you are underestimating Benn's value.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

I am convinced they are not a contender; #1 offensive guy is like 60th in scoring race...so STILL ZERO all star forwards for 9th year in a row and only have  2 top 4 d-men, so is hopeless to win a cup this year...with current roster.

Who in AHL could successfully play 5:40 on the PK? I think you are underestimating Benn's value.

Juulsen could play those minutes. 

Would he be as successful this season? probably not. but he would grow into that role, and that is the point of #1.... the downgrade makes no difference to the cup chances, develops a young player, and gets us an asset for Benn. 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

I sit tight and throw a big chunk of cap space at Jake Gardiner on July 1st. 

You'd shell out for Jake Gardiner?  He doesn't strike me as the type of player to be worthy of a big cap commitment. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Juulsen could play those minutes. 

Would he be as successful this season? probably not. but he would grow into that role, and that is the point of #1.... the downgrade makes no difference to the cup chances, develops a young player, and gets us an asset for Benn. 

As long as Juulsen's confidence isn't shot by end of year and he progresses, sure.

But, to say he can fill Benn's current role, no.

And he has looked pretty rattled after pucks to face and now another injury set back, so I wouldn't be forcing Juulsen to play over his head now.

2 hours ago, Neech said:

You'd shell out for Jake Gardiner?  He doesn't strike me as the type of player to be worthy of a big cap commitment. 

I think he'd be the perfect partner for Shea Weber.  That would be a very, very effective pairing IMO. 

I think he's a legit #2 Dman for a team.  I see a LH version of Jeff Petry.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Dunno about player fits, but Habs should definitely avail themselves to Edmonton to help with cap relief (for a fee, of course.)

They need wingers, and need them badly.  They also need cap space to make the moves

I'd offer them Hudon and Niemi for Cam Talbot and a 2nd round pick.

That would give them a third line winger plus save them cap space they need for a first liner.

I don't want their really bad contracts like Lucic or Russell though

Thanks I forgot he was a UFA.

I think Benn can be serviceable at a decent cap hit for another year but if he gets moved I won’t cry about it.

The Jake Gardiner proposition is an interesting one. Being in Toronto and having watched him play for a long time he can skate and move the puck but my goodness is he a tire fire in his own end. Like really bad, I wonder what Weber could do for him but I’m afraid of the first line minutes he would be playing and the gaffs he’s used too.

The last two games again Boston and again tonight on the Avalanche third goal he was absolutely brutal.

Im near Toronto and see him a lot too

That's where i get the Petry comparison. Generally the defense is good but when he messes up its bad and he's on the wrong end of the highlight reel

Yes his mistakes are bad, but I don't think they are more numerous than others.  He's also handicapped with getting no help from his partner

His possession metrics have generally been very good and there have been some times where he got some tough minutes included in that 

8 minutes ago, Neech said:

What could we even get for Benn?  If we're trying to make the playoffs we might as well keep him, given his importance to the D corps.  Would anyone even give a 2nd?    

I don't see him as that important to the D-Corps

I'd take a third

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see him as that important to the D-Corps

I'd take a third

He usually anchors the bottom pair, and is often asked to step into the top 4.  I'm with Don in that we could be inviting disaster if we try to rely on Juulsen at this stage.  Not sure a third is worth the risk.  

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im near Toronto and see him a lot too

That's where i get the Petry comparison. Generally the defense is good but when he messes up its bad and he's on the wrong end of the highlight reel

Yes his mistakes are bad, but I don't think they are more numerous than others.  He's also handicapped with getting no help from his partner

His possession metrics have generally been very good and there have been some times where he got some tough minutes included in that 

Ok well I trust your analysis. If you think it would be a good acquisition then I’m all for it. We have seen what Weber can do with his partners, also I agree that Zaitsev can be even worse than Gardiner in the defensive zone.

5 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Dunno about player fits, but Habs should definitely avail themselves to Edmonton to help with cap relief (for a fee, of course.)

Lehkonen, Hudon, and a 3 round pick for lucic and Edmonton's first round pick. 

Losing Lehkonen stings a bit, but IMO he's 35ish point guy.  

Hudon is basically a waiver wire player to the Habs right now (not in my eyes).

It sucks to eat 4 more years of lucic's contract, at 6 million, but to receive a potentially top 10 pick, without touching the core, is definitely appealing...  

10 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Lehkonen, Hudon, and a 3 round pick for lucic and Edmonton's first round pick. 

Losing Lehkonen stings a bit, but IMO he's 35ish point guy.  

Hudon is basically a waiver wire player to the Habs right now (not in my eyes).

It sucks to eat 4 more years of lucic's contract, at 6 million, but to receive a potentially top 10 pick, without touching the core, is definitely appealing...  

Remove Lehkonen. Lucic is negative value, they NEED to pay a 1st rounder to get rid of him. 

If the Oilers are dumping salary I would try to do Hudon for Spooner.  Maybe the Oilers throw in a late round pick (or whatever seems fair) or conditional pick if Hudon plays in 95% of the games remaining in the season or something.  Spooner clears $3.1M off their cap this year and next.  Maybe he gets back to being a good producing middle six guy under his former Bruins coach Julien?

As far as forward help I would dangle Tatar for Edmonton's 1st with some sort of protection.  Could be something like:

Edmonton

Tomas Tatar

Charles Hudon

Montreal

Ryan Spooner (for cap reasons)

2019 1st rounder (top 10 protected)

2020 Conditional 2nd rounder (if Oilers make the playoffs)

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

They need wingers, and need them badly.  They also need cap space to make the moves

I'd offer them Hudon and Niemi for Cam Talbot and a 2nd round pick.

That would give them a third line winger plus save them cap space they need for a first liner.

I don't want their really bad contracts like Lucic or Russell though

I like the Hudon and Niemi for Talbot and 2nd deal.  That's not bad at all.

That does not make sense, who would replace Tatar's offince on the team. The Oliers pick woudl not be top 10 anymore.  This looks like the Habs give up a top 6 player and a 4th liner for 4th liner that is small and a draft pick.  Were you involved with the Gomez trade?

12 minutes ago, Richard09 said:

That does not make sense, who would replace Tatar's offince on the team. The Oliers pick woudl not be top 10 anymore.  This looks like the Habs give up a top 6 player and a 4th liner for 4th liner that is small and a draft pick.  Were you involved with the Gomez trade?

What would you have the Oilers add to make it better?

57 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A slight digression, but can I just say how much I like Tatar? A very smart and understated hockey player. Odd that he went nowhere in Vegas, but that's their problem.

My favorite part of Tatar being a Hab aside from how well he is playing, is that literally every time the broadcaster says his name I yell "TOMAS TAAAATAAAAR" and it drives my family crazy. 

9 hours ago, John B said:

If the Oilers are dumping salary I would try to do Hudon for Spooner.  Maybe the Oilers throw in a late round pick (or whatever seems fair) or conditional pick if Hudon plays in 95% of the games remaining in the season or something.  Spooner clears $3.1M off their cap this year and next.  Maybe he gets back to being a good producing middle six guy under his former Bruins coach Julien?

As far as forward help I would dangle Tatar for Edmonton's 1st with some sort of protection.  Could be something like:

Edmonton

Tomas Tatar

Charles Hudon

Montreal

Ryan Spooner (for cap reasons)

2019 1st rounder (top 10 protected)

2020 Conditional 2nd rounder (if Oilers make the playoffs)

Spooner hates julien.  He had some very harsh words after julien was traded.

I also think tatar is young enough, signed to a good deal, and talented enough that we should keep him.

• Like 1

What I like about tatar is how good he plays even when he isn't getting points.  This team has a few of those.  Shaw, Lehkonen, Tatar, domi all work the offensive zone and hound pucks.  Posess the puck and win puck battles. I would not let Tatar go.