Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree Duchesne is not a franchise player but a very good player.  He is certainly a level above Kevin Hayes who got 7 million.  He will get paid very well. 

Got to watch out with Duchene  he seems like one of those guys who only have good years on contact year's. His going to want to much money and I think we are finally at a point with our centers that its not a desperate need to up grade.

I am happy going into the season with the centers we have.  

According to The Athletic and 98.5 Sports, Marc Bergevin is in contact with Wayne Simmonds and Jake Gardiner’s agents.

I like both players but not sure Simmonds has much left, he’s played some hard minutes.

I think their looking at players that have Proven PP production. We missed the playoffs do to lack of PP. I think Zuccarello could be a better fit then Simmons.  I do like Simmons but not if we have to over pay him.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Simmons is that power style that once it falls apart, it really falls apart. 

Think Lucic.  See Corey Perry. 

Stay far away. 

This is a big test for Bergy this summer IMO.  He was in big for Lucic a couple years ago and Simmonds and Perry fit this mold.  If he gives either of these guys a big multi-year deal then it shows he hasn't learned anything from his mistakes.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Perry could be interesting if he can be had on a 1 year deal with bonus money. He is very competitive and I'm sure he has something to prove. Hopefully he can still skate.

I don't think he'd eligible for a bonus contract until he's 35, but there might be an exception for players injured the previous year.

18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I don't think he'd eligible for a bonus contract until he's 35, but there might be an exception for players injured the previous year.

From CapFriendly:

1. The player is on an entry-level contract.
  2. The player has signed a one-year contract and is over 35 years old.
  3. The player has signed a one-year contract after returning from a long-term injury (has played 400 or more games, and spent 100 or more days on the Injured Reserve in the last year of their most recent contract).

Was Perry 100 days on the IR this past season? He only played 31 games but missing 51 games might not be enough.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Was Perry 100 days on the IR this past season? He only played 31 games but missing 51 games might not be enough.

I believe he was so I wouldn't be shocked to see a cap-strapped team go that route.

On another note:

Given what Bergevin said about keeping his options open for the future I think that a short bonus laden contract to Perry could really work for the plans.  If it’s a one or even two year deal for cheap it may work.  

Could be the Eric Staal of this years FA class. 

58 minutes ago, Davehab said:

Given what Bergevin said about keeping his options open for the future I think that a short bonus laden contract to Perry could really work for the plans.  If it’s a one or even two year deal for cheap it may work.  

Depends on his health. Injures has slowed him down. Same boat as Simmons. Perry and Simmons could both have big impacts on the PP, but the question on both is how healthy are they and what do they got left in the tank.

The PP is terrible for several reasons, 

they can't enter the zone

they stand around way too often, slow puck movement 

every play seems to be get the puck to 6, other teams know that and the habs have no plan B

I don't think perry or simmonds is the answer, they are both big, play hard around the net but wear and tear has slowed them down and the contracts will undoubtedly be too long. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davehab said:

If it's a contract with bonuses, it has to be a one-year deal by rule.

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Wonder how meeting went? Not sure want to see him as a Hab, but he would make them better.

A LD puck moving defensemen would make them better.

41 minutes ago, Metallica said:

A LD puck moving defensemen would make them better.

Surely any GM with assets and cap room Hab have, could find a reasonable upgrade on left side to Mete-Kulak.

From Friedman on Matt Duchene:

It’s so hard to separate fact from fiction, but there’s a belief the Canadiens have a shot. We’ve been expecting Destination Nashville, but more than one source indicated that’s not locked in. Not going to handicap it, but wanted to mention just in case.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matt-duchene-not-expect-predators-something-big/

If Duchene does sign here what do we do with the roster? That would give us the following centres:

Duchene

Domi

Danault

Kotkaniemi

Phoeling

Thompson

The Habs could start Phoeling in the minors and use Kotkaniemi as the 4th centre (Thompson as the healthy scratch until needed) but I'm not sure if this is a good solution.

Should Domi be moved to the wing? I can see an argument for keeping him at centre because he was great there last year.

Danault is used as our #1 centre and I would like that to change. He is one of the best PK centres in the league and he puts in really tough minutes. Should he be moved? Perhaps along with a winger to fill our LD needs (If Gardiner doesn't come)?

Would a centre core like this be too risky? or a bold move for the future?

Duschene

Kotkaniemi

Phoeling

Thompson

(Domi on the wing)

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Duchene does sign here what do we do with the roster? That would give us the following centres:

Duchene

Domi

Danault

Kotkaniemi

Phoeling

Thompson

The Habs could start Phoeling in the minors and use Kotkaniemi as the 4th centre (Thompson as the healthy scratch until needed) but I'm not sure if this is a good solution.

Should Domi be moved to the wing? I can see an argument for keeping him at centre because he was great there last year.

Danault is used as our #1 centre and I would like that to change. He is one of the best PK centres in the league and he puts in really tough minutes. Should he be moved? Perhaps along with a winger to fill our LD needs (If Gardiner doesn't come)?

Would a centre core like this be too risky? or a bold move for the future?

Duschene

Kotkaniemi

Phoeling

Thompson

(Domi on the wing)

If Duschene signs here for the money i'm hearing getting thrown around, it would first and foremost, be a mistake. Secondly the easy solution would be to place Kotka on the 2nd behind Duschene, put Danault on the 3rd, and determine what you are doing with Poehling after training camp. Kid only played 1 game, I know we are all wrapped up in his performance but unless he comes in a dominates the training camp and preseason games, there is no telling if he doesn't start the year in Laval, last season was last season. 

In the situation where he kills it at camp and must make the team, you have to move him to the wing for the time being. The best forwards must make the team by opening night, regardless of position, especially guys who can play C/W. Suzuki and Poehling might both make the roster this year if they have strong camps, none would likely play C if Duschene is in fact signed.

(If Duschene Signs)                                                                                 (If he doesn't sign)

1: Drouin - Duschene - Domi                                                            1: Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Domi

2: Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher                               OR                2: Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

3: Byron - Danault - Poehling                                                           3: Byron - Poehling - Shaw

4: Armia - Thompson - Shaw                                                           4: Lehkonen -Thompson - Armia

You can see the congestion Duschene's addition can cause if you couple it with the possibility that both Poehling and Suzuki could have great camps and make the roster, you have to certainly move bodies out and still have players playing our of position. An interesting puzzle to solve to say the least.