Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Bergevin traded Subban for non-hockey reasons.  Is anybody here seriously thinking that he'll bring Taylor Hall in ?!?!?

Well, you could say he was a cancer on the team and uncoachable, so not "non-hockey" reasons. But, know what you mean and i hadnt heard anything about Hall, is he a head case as well?. 

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, you could say he was a cancer on the team and uncoachable, so not "non-hockey" reasons. But, know what you mean and i hadnt heard anything about Hall, is he a head case as well?. 

That was the "whispers" in Edmonton as well as New Jersery, even though he won a Hart.

27 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Bergevin traded Subban for non-hockey reasons.  Is anybody here seriously thinking that he'll bring Taylor Hall in ?!?!?

20 minutes ago, DON said:

... i hadnt heard anything about Hall, is he a head case as well?. 

14 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

That was the "whispers" in Edmonton as well as New Jersery, even though he won a Hart.

Have read similar whispers in recent weeks on some media/"expert" posts ... as for the "Hart", it is a one season blip in his career (50% more goals and 20% more assists than his career averages outside that season) ... not that I assume he would accept it, but might be worth a high dollar offer for one season so habs can "see for themselves" ... personally I would prefer pursuing Dadanov (29.5g/82gm since his return) and/or Hoffman (29.8/82 last six seasons) as a sniper, and/or Tofolli (20-25/82) as a top 9 depth scorer

If Hall ha

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Have read similar whispers in recent weeks on some media/"expert" posts ... as for the "Hart", it is a one season blip in his career (50% more goals and 20% more assists than his career averages outside that season) ... not that I assume he would accept it, but might be worth a high dollar offer for one season so habs can "see for themselves" ... personally I would prefer pursuing Dadanov (29.5g/82gm since his return) and/or Hoffman (29.8/82 last six seasons) as a sniper, and/or Tofolli (20-25/82) as a top 9 depth scorer

If there are whispers around Hall, there are SCREAMS around Hoffman.  If you are worried about Hall, you have to take Hoffman out of the mix. 

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Hall ha

If there are whispers around Hall, there are SCREAMS around Hoffman.  If you are worried about Hall, you have to take Hoffman out of the mix. 

Whispers have followed Hall through most of his career ... the screams were really one season with Hoffman and related to his wife and EK's wife, not necessarily Hoffman himself ... certainly an issue that would need to be explored/examined carefully ... but my concerns with Hall are not limited to the "whispers" ... I think he is overrated [the "Hart" ... is a one season blip in his career (50% more goals and 20% more assists than his career averages outside that season)] and won't provide much more offence than Tofolli but may cost almost twice as much.

I’ll take me some Taylor Hall on the Habs, please. 

6 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ll take me some Taylor Hall on the Habs, please. 

Will be very curious to see how much Hall & Krug get offered in flat cap-Covid times.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Will be very curious to see how much Hall & Krug get offered in flat cap-Covid times.

Hoffman's scoring would be a good addition. Four years at $5M seems reasonable? Or is he likely to want to stay in Florida?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Hoffman's scoring would be a good addition. Four years at $5M seems reasonable? Or is he likely to want to stay in Florida?

Florida "rumoured" to be looking to cut spending ... and/or clear out veterans for a rebuild ... if either is true then neither Hoffman nor Dadonov likely to be re-signed.

Hall is a legit top-line W, but if you look at his career stats, he's been quite inconsistent. That 53-point season in NJ raises the harrowing spectre of signing him to a huge deal and getting back a guy who gives you 55-65 points. That'd be just our luck.

I am a huge skeptic, meanwhile, of "rumours" about "character." All I give a sh*t about is if the guy produces, not whether he conforms to the NHL's preferred ideal (which really only solidified in the 1990s) of a character-less robot. See Phil Kessel, derided for years as a fat slob and a "problem," but in fact a consistently dangerous and electrifying player who now happens to have a Cup ring - unlike a lot of the talentess androids/workout demons the NHL loves to canonize.

Doubts aside, if the Habs do land Hall, I will be on board and hoping he delivers his A-game, rather than moaning about his contract. If you sign a big-name UFA you're going to overpay. It's practically an immutable law of nature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... if the Habs do land Hall, I will be on board and hoping he delivers his A-game, rather than moaning about his contract. If you sign a big-name UFA you're going to overpay. It's practically an immutable law of nature.

The moaning depends entirely on the contract ... I agree big-names get overpaid ... which in my opinion is reason ONE for not signing such players unless they are "the difference" in being a legit Cup contender ... don't think Hall is that for the habs

I wonder how many big-name UFAs have led their team to a Cup ... In the past 10 years Chara is the only one I can think of ... Hossa played an important role for the 'Hawks but wouldn't say he led.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

The moaning depends entirely on the contract ... I agree big-names get overpaid ... which in my opinion is reason ONE for not signing such players unless they are "the difference" in being a legit Cup contender ... don't think Hall is that for the habs

I wonder how many big-name UFAs have led their team to a Cup ... In the past 10 years Chara is the only one I can think of ... Hossa played an important role for the 'Hawks but wouldn't say he led.

I don’t mind a a short high salary number.  I think it would help the kids playing with an elite winger.  I wouldn’t want a long term high cap number that handcuffs us.  We already have Price and Weber on LT, high cap hit contracts.

my preference would still be to give up assets for a younger player who’s best years are ahead of him, than overpay for a guy, whose best years are behind him.  I hate paying for past performance.  Not saying Hall is anywhere close to being washed up. But I just don’t think I’d want him long term at around $10m, if he is a 75-80 point guy for 2-3 years and than a 60-70 point guy for 2/3’s of the contract.

min a cap system there is no such thing as a free asset.  Cap space is an asset and one thing we have going for us is that we are a bubble team with cap room, rather than a bubble team that is at or close to the cap limit.

You got me thinking 🤔

my preference is a hockey trade moving one of the Habs extra

assets for someone else’s while keeping the returning asset in the expansion protection list 

Habs have extra D prospects, extra young centres and cap space 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You got me thinking 🤔

my preference is a hockey trade moving one of the Habs extra

assets for someone else’s while keeping the returning asset in the expansion protection list 

Habs have extra D prospects, extra young centres and cap space 

Extras trend not not get anything better, or even as good, as what you already have ... unless mike Milbury is back in the league (LOL)

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Extras trend not not get anything better, or even as good, as what you already have ... unless mike Milbury is back in the league (LOL)

Or a Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota, Florida, ... <insert bottom feeder team>  ... GM

Some insight on what OReilly was worth and if you squint your eyes (my opinion on comparable at the time) what Domi from 2018-2019 may have been worth:

image.png

On 9/10/2020 at 11:59 AM, Commandant said:

If Hall ha

A year ago I wondered why Montreal wasn't interested in Hoffman. However I have read reports lately that say while he can score goals, his teams do poorly in goals against when he's on the ice and all his numbers are all in steady decline. Anyone who gives Hoffman a big long term contract now will regret it. So according to a number of hockey people, don't touch Hoffman with a 10 foot pole. 

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Some insight on what OReilly was worth and if you squint your eyes (my opinion on comparable at the time) what Domi from 2018-2019 may have been worth:

image.png

That’s a hell of a lot more than what they got from St. Louis.  There’s a big difference in giving up a number 1 pick when you know it’s #3 and giving up a pick the following year.  I would have been willing to give up Danault and Byron and the 2019 1st and a 2nd pick at the time (yes I know it turned out to be Caufield - but we really had no real dominant centre who was capable of 70 points at the the time). I think that is more comparable and actually better than what the blues offered, or what Buffalo wanted from us.

As long as Suzuki and KK progress, in hindsight I’m glad we didn’t try and make the deal for a 2019 pick (no way I would have been willing to trade the 2018 #3  overall pick).  

At the end of the day thoug, I would have been okay trading Danault and the 2019 Caufield pick and a Byron type player for O’Reilly.  

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s a hell of a lot more than what they got from St. Louis.  There’s a big difference in giving up a number 1 pick when you know it’s #3 and giving up a pick the following year.  I would have been willing to give up Danault and Byron and the 2019 1st and a 2nd pick at the time (yes I know it turned out to be Caufield - but we really had no real dominant centre who was capable of 70 points at the the time). I think that is more comparable and actually better than what the blues offered.

in hindsight I’m glad we made the deal if KK does progress, but at the time I would have given up the 2019 1st pick.

I agree, in hindsight it is easier to make sense of one trade vs another

looking into the future is harder. I am having trouble projecting trades and draft picks this year

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

... Anyone who gives Hoffman a big long term contract now will regret it. So according to a number of hockey people, don't touch Hoffman with a 10 foot pole. 

Good news is this may well be the "summer" of short-term contracts

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

A year ago I wondered why Montreal wasn't interested in Hoffman. However I have read reports lately that say while he can score goals, his teams do poorly in goals against when he's on the ice and all his numbers are all in steady decline. Anyone who gives Hoffman a big long term contract now will regret it. So according to a number of hockey people, don't touch Hoffman with a 10 foot pole. 

He would make a good scoring 2nd line , like this:

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Suzuki-Hoffman

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Keeping Danault happy while giving Suzuki a scoring RW.

The bottom could be even more dangerous with:

Domi-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

Basically, yes to Hoffman

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, DON said:

LeBrun says Habs could use him for sure; but are not in on dealing for Laine.

Hopefully it is because Bergevin is all-in for Hall.:spamafote:

Hockey30 speculates it is because the Jets asked for

1. KK or Suzuki; and
  2. Romanov or Caufield; and
  3. the Habs #1 (16th overall)

That is not an unreasonable ask for a elite goal scorer ... but I wouldn't make that trade

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 speculates it is because the Jets asked for

1. KK or Suzuki; and
  2. Romanov or Caufield; and
  3. the Habs #1 (16th overall)

That is not an unreasonable ask for a elite goal scorer ... but I wouldn't make that trade

If he was signed long term, would be a different story.