Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Was noted Bergevin on Tuesday said he is ready to deal a player-prospect & pick to upgrade team.

Who would be player traded:

Domi, Danault or a lesser player like Lehkonen, Byron, Tatar, Armia?

Dont think would deal any of Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson-Romanov, the rest of young d must be up for grabs.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Was noted Bergevin on Tuesday said he is ready to deal a player-prospect & pick to upgrade team.

Dont think would deal any of Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson-Romanov, the rest of young d must be up for grabs.

Domi/Byron/picks can bring in a top line player. I think he is done upgrading on D so it would be a winger coming back in any trade.i think domi and Byron are the expendable ones.

50 minutes ago, DON said:

He can't say say he would not consider trading picks/prospects for an upgrade ... but saying he is willing and actually being willing to make an offer another team would consider accepting are two very different things.

Also, technically, trading a 2nd/3rd rounder and a mid-range prospect to upgrade the fourth line would satisfy what he said ... so I'll be more a Missourian (Show Me) than a believer until it a deal happens for a serious top 6 / top 4 upgrade.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Domi/Byron/picks can bring in a top line player. I think he is done upgrading on D so it would be a winger coming back in any trade.i think domi and Byron are the expendable ones.

I am skeptical about this. It would nice to be proven wrong, but that sounds like another "quantity for quality" proposal of the type which only rarely get made. We keep fantasizing about a Joe Thornton-style trade (i.e., a stud in return for a bunch of so-so parts) but those hardly ever happen.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am skeptical about this. It would nice to be proven wrong, but that sounds like another "quantity for quality" proposal of the type which only rarely get made. We keep fantasizing about a Joe Thornton-style trade (i.e., a stud in return for a bunch of so-so parts) but those hardly ever happen.

No I am not saying an elite player but a star player, there's a difference.  For a team that needs a 2nd line center and a winger with speed that can kill penalties Domi and Byron are it. Plus you add the 16th overall pick and you can get a good return for it.  Is that going to get you an elite player no probably not. But it will get you a good star player which would be an upgrade to the team.

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

No I am not saying an elite player but a star player, there's a difference. 

So Domi (marginal top-6 C), Byron (marginal top-6 FW on the downside), and a 16th overall pick for a MaxPac? That sort of thing?

Still seems doubtful to me. Maybe I'm too skeptical.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He can't say say he would not consider trading picks/prospects for an upgrade ... but saying he is willing and actually being willing to make an offer another team would consider accepting are two very different things.

Also, technically, trading a 2nd/3rd rounder and a mid-range prospect to upgrade the fourth line would satisfy what he said ... so I'll be more a Missourian (Show Me) than a believer until it a deal happens for a serious top 6 / top 4 upgrade.

Am sure Bergevin put it out there for a reason.

from The Athletic: 

"During his presser with Nashville reporters on Tuesday, Nashville GM David Poile said he’s been talking to 10 GMs a day. Another veteran of the NHL marketplace, Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello, hinted at the possibility for surprises, saying there will be “more players available than people think.” "

Should be a very interesting upcoming week.:hyper:

1 minute ago, DON said:

Am sure Bergevin put it out there for a reason.

from The Athletic: 

"During his presser with Nashville reporters on Tuesday, Nashville GM David Poile said he’s been talking to 10 GMs a day. Another veteran of the NHL marketplace, Islanders GM Lou Lamoriello, hinted at the possibility for surprises, saying there will be “more players available than people think.” "

Should be a very interesting upcoming week.:hyper:

IMO the reason may well be that he would be crucified if he said he wasn't willing to make a move(s) to upgrade the team for next season ... I agree it should be an interesting couple of weeks ... just don't have expectations that MB will do anything BIG ... expect he may acquire more of what they have (i.e., 20-30 goal scorers) and spread out the scoring over 3 lines ... will be VERY pleasantly surprised if he does more ... of course that doesn't mean I will be happy with any actual trade.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

No I am not saying an elite player but a star player, there's a difference.  For a team that needs a 2nd line center and a winger with speed that can kill penalties Domi and Byron are it. Plus you add the 16th overall pick and you can get a good return for it.  Is that going to get you an elite player no probably not. But it will get you a good star player which would be an upgrade to the team.

I think you would have to be more specific before a judgement can be made. Did you have anyone in mind? 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

But, also, just because another team is willing to accept a deal doesn't mean it's necessarily one we should make. In other words, for some deals the asking price may be so high as to not make any sense for the Habs.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But, also, just because another team is willing to accept a deal doesn't mean it's necessarily one we should make. In other words, for some deals the asking price may be so high as to not make any sense for the Habs.

Agree ... but my focus was not so much on whether MB would make a good deal than whether he is really willing to ever consider trading his BEST picks and prospects if the deal was good enough.

34 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I still think Alzner should be kept one more year and see if any team will take him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and some retained salary. 

“a man should not be prevented from seeking gainful employment”

and in Alzner’s case, the pandemic will probably put an end to his playing career if he does not play hockey in 2020-2021

I wonder if a team would take Alzner if they had a forward on a bad contract they wanted to get rid of? At least a forward would be more useful to us then Alzer. I mean would NYI do a Ladd for Alzner trade🤔 they would have to eat some of his contract since he has the extra year.

Would the jets do Alzner for Perreault? We would have to eat some of Alzner contract since he has the extra year. But it gives the jets a D they can use.

Poor Alzner...the guy hits the UFA market, scores a big contract, thinks he's about to embark upon a new chapter in his career, and BAM!!! He's in the minors and done as an NHLer.

While I'm sure his money offers some consolation, it's still a striking lesson in the capriciousness of a career in pro sports.

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I wonder if a team would take Alzner if they had a forward on a bad contract they wanted to get rid of? At least a forward would be more useful to us then Alzer. I mean would NYI do a Ladd for Alzner trade🤔 they would have to eat some of his contract since he has the extra year.

Would the jets do Alzner for Perreault? We would have to eat some of Alzner contract since he has the extra year. But it gives the jets a D they can use.

Why would we want Ladd???  He’s been useless fir 3 years and has another 3 to go? I’d rather hang on to Alzner in the minors and maybe someone like Ottawa takes him to get to the floor with the low actual salary.

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Alzner...the guy hits the UFA market, scores a big contract, thinks he's about to embark upon a new chapter in his career, and BAM!!! He's in the minors and done as an NHLer.

While I'm sure his money offers some consolation, it's still a striking lesson in the capriciousness of a career in pro sports.

I’ve got no sympathy for him. He’s making stupid money for what he is.  When he came here he went on about the character/locker room issues in Washington.  They trade him and they win the cup. Guess he was the issue!  Just needed to get rid of that character issue.

50 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

“a man should not be prevented from seeking gainful employment”

and in Alzner’s case, the pandemic will probably put an end to his playing career if he does not play hockey in 2020-2021

Of course Alzner could also offer to cancel the remaining contract (a la Kovalchukl) which would free him up to look for a new opportunity. It all depends on how much he values the money vs a chance to play again in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Of course Alzner could also offer to cancel the remaining contract (a la Kovalchukl) which would free him up to look for a new opportunity. It all depends on how much he values the money vs a chance to play again in the NHL.

With $3.5m due next year. Not likely.  I can’t see anyone paying him more than between the league minimum and $1m.

7 hours ago, DON said:

I like Armia. A lot. I would hate to see him traded.  Do you trade Danault this year, or give him another year to mentor slick nick and kk?

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Yeah if Alzner is upset about playing in the minors he can wipe his tears with the $10.625 million he's been paid in the past 2 years to do so.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’ve got no sympathy for him. He’s making stupid money for what he is.  When he came here he went on about the character/locker room issues in Washington.  They trade him and they win the cup. Guess he was the issue!  Just needed to get rid of that character issue.

Ha ha, you guys are a couple of tough nuts!

image.png

I wasn't saying he should be brought up or anything like that, just observing that his NHL dreams were destroyed overnight right when he probably expected it least. Y'know, money is a nice consolation prize, but that's still a harsh fate, on a human level.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I would not be surprised if he did that. When he decided to go home instead of going to the bubble with the team, it showed how little he believes the Habs will give him a chance to play.

What is really needed to be able to assess rumours in the coming days would be for TSN/Sportsnet to mine all their sources and determine what the internal cap for every team is going into 20/21 (NOTE: the internal cap can be $81.5M for financially healthy teams) ... it is easy to see who has "potential" cap space available but we have no way of knowing which teams have the approval to spend it and which GMs have been mandated to cut salary.

I’ve got no sympathy for him. He’s making stupid money for what he is...

He didn't hold a gun to their head ... the Habs made an offer ... I think most would have accepted

... When he came here he went on about the character/locker room issues in Washington.  They trade him and they win the cup. Guess he was the issue!  Just needed to get rid of that character issue.

Post hoc ergo proctor hoc