Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hall would be a wonderful addition...it all comes down to contract.

I think the rumor resurfaced because Hall May be only asking for a short (say 2 year) contract. Since that wouldn’t hurt the Habs long term, MB may be back in.

Id be fine with giving Hall a really high AAv for 2 years

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I wouldn't go after Hall, i think he is over rated. However if they move Drouin, i'm all in. 

Naw, we don't need a former Hart trophy winner strutting in here being our best forward putting up points that we need, I'm with ya dawg, overrated 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, illWill said:

Naw, we don't need a former Hart trophy winner strutting in here being our best forward putting up points that we need, I'm with ya dawg, overrated 

That was his ONE elite season ... IMO he is not that near-40 goal scorer ... he is the mid-20s goal scorer (per 82 games) he has been the rest of his career ... NOT to say he wouldn't help the offence, just that he isn't the elite first line scorer the habs need ... he would just add to top 6 scoring depth ... but doubt he gets paid like that

I don’t think he’d come in and score 40 either.. but if he had a healthy season I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score 30.

Hall would be the best forward on the team. Why not add him? 8 mil-9mil a season. 

Just now, TheDriveFor25 said:

I don’t think he’d come in and score 40 either.. but if he had a healthy season I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score 30.

Hall would be the best forward on the team. Why not add him? 8 mil-9mil a season. 

Not as confident he would ... but even it he did, you have then set the "bar" for a 30 goal scorer for the Habs ... which enters into Gallagher's and even Tartar's extension talks ... and hopefully impacts KK and Suzuki's next contracts if the Habs are lucky (i.e., for them to get to 30)

Hall has several seasons at a PPG or close to it.

He also has some years where he was well under that bar.

His lifetime PPG average of 73.6 actually seems quite a fair representation of what you can expect. Book him for 60-70 points assuming 82 games (which is hardly a sure thing with this guy) and you're probably safe.

He'd be a huge addition.

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not as confident he would ... but even it he did, you have then set the "bar" for a 30 goal scorer for the Habs ... which enters into Gallagher's and even Tartar's extension talks ... and hopefully impacts KK and Suzuki's next contracts if the Habs are lucky (i.e., for them to get to 30)

Depending on term then you likely can’t keep everybody, and since Suzuki and KK will be the priority.. might lose Gally or Tatar.

That being said.. Hall is better than either of them, even though I love what Gally brings to the team. 

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

I think the rumor resurfaced because Hall May be only asking for a short (say 2 year) contract. Since that wouldn’t hurt the Habs long term, MB may be back in.

Id be fine with giving Hall a really high AAv for 2 years

If he is willing to take a 2 yr deal, it won’t be to join an unproven bubble team, it will be to go to a team that is considered a legit contender.

45 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

The salary cap is why.  The Habs would need to clear at least one of their top-paid forwards to make it happen and this is not a favourable marketplace to try to free up money for value.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Tatar’s next contract should not have any bearing the consideration of getting Hall. If given the choice between a 911 turbo and giving up a Ford Mustang, I say goodbye mustang.   Having said that, I don’t see him signing a ST deal with us, which would allow us to move guys like a Tatar to make it work, I don’t think we could afford the cap hit he would want long term in Montreal vs more tax friendly options.

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Tatar’s next contract should not have any bearing the consideration of getting Hall. If given the choice between a 911 turbo and giving up a Ford Mustang, I say goodbye mustang.   Having said that, I don’t see him signing a ST deal with us, which would allow us to move guys like a Tatar to make it work, I don’t think we could afford the cap hit he would want long term in Montreal vs more tax friendly options.

Yeah, I agree. Word is he is willing to go short term with a contender. Unless our little playoff push completely changed the narrative around the Habs, that won't be us. Still, if he is interested, I sure wouldn't let concerns about his impact on our future 'salary structure' stop me from signing him. This team needs to add talent, not fret about Tomas Tatar in 2022.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Perhaps not Tartar in particular ... but paying a mid-20s/82 games scorer that much on the hope that he will return to 30+ goals (which he has done only once in 10 seasons) will, have a cascade effect that will impact the cap for years going forward ...

If Hall had Laine-like production (37g/82gm career average) then I might agree with the idea of one year for BIG money ... but he doesn't

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The salary cap is why.  The Habs would need to clear at least one of their top-paid forwards to make it happen and this is not a favourable marketplace to try to free up money for value.

What? We don’t want Taylor Hall because we might have to trade Tatar or Chiarot or a couple role players?

If Hall wants to sign with Montreal, you sign him and move out the player you need to. Value be damned, you’re getting a top liner for money. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why are we only looking at goals?  And not just this thread, but many of them lately?

when you get an assist, the puck still ended up in the back of the net. 

We are concentrating on goals because we have seen far too many games where we had plenty of chances, but a lack of finish resulted in losses.  Need a scorer, not a playmaker dishing passes to guys who seldom finish.

Taylor Hall is elite.

fin

55 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Taylor Hall is elite.

fin

Non ... FIN

For me, one season does not ELITE make ... unless elite now means 26-ish goals per full season ... in which case the Habs already have a couple of elite forwards

Of course we are both expressing personal OPINIONS

8 hours ago, sbhatt said:
10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why are we only looking at goals?  And not just this thread, but many of them lately?

when you get an assist, the puck still ended up in the back of the net. 

We are concentrating on goals because we have seen far too many games where we had plenty of chances, but a lack of finish resulted in losses.  Need a scorer, not a playmaker dishing passes to guys who seldom finish.

Exactly ... McDavid, MacKinnon or Draisaitl might turn Gallagher into a 40 goal scorer or Tartar into a 30+ goal scorer or Armia/Drouin into 25 goal scorers ... but Habs are not going to acquire a playmaker who can do that ... so adding a playmaker who can set up more missed scoring opportunities for other Habs is not what is needed.

Hall would be amazing and many folks want to see him with Suzuki but I want him with Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi is *potentially* an offensive super star and I hope the Habs explore that. Nobody is going to be an offensive powerhouse when paired with Lehkonen and Armia!

If we get Hall:

Hall - Kotkaniemi - Anderson

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Evans - Weal/Poehling

Mete and Byron traded for non roster stuff to make room

9 hours ago, sbhatt said:

If they got an assist, then the play was finished. 

51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Non ... FIN

For me, one season does not ELITE make ... unless elite now means 26-ish goals per full season ... in which case the Habs already have a couple of elite forwards

Of course we are both expressing personal OPINIONS

4 seasons of PPG play makes a player elite in my books.