Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

14 minutes ago, DON said:

And what if CBJ signs Hall to huge deal before signing Dubois?

Assume they must have a deal ready for Dubois to sign and wouldnt lose him just to add Hall? Would they?

Signing Hall only to lose Dubois is not a good plan. I would think they have a plan in place. Dubois is not going anywhere,  he is just too important to the future of the franchise. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The guy to offersheet is Vince Dunn, especially after St. Louis signed Krug. 

I'd have done that instead of signing Edmundson. 

In an ideal world perhaps ... but Edmondson got "signed and sealed" before they had to fight other teams ... Habs could just have easily have ended up fighting for UFA scraps 

2 hours ago, DON said:

NHL.com noted

"Blue Jackets worried about offer sheet to Dubois."

Doubt Habs can make a serious offer, could they?

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Don't see that happening as the Habs don't have the cap room to make any big offers plus Columbus could easily match as they have cleared a lot of cap space although they may plan to make a run at Hall with it.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think they're less worried now that they moved out money to hedge against that happening.  Now they have the money to match without being put in a bind.  It sounds like their plan is to re-sign their RFAs and not do a whole lot more.

From the CBJ side I think dblair is correct ... they are protecting their own assets more than hunting for new ones.

But from the Habs side a Dubois offer sheet would IMO mean Danault was getting traded, which offsets $3M of the PLD contract ... doubt PLD signs an offer sheet to play LW

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Stars have $6.66M remaining. Can they sign both Hintz and Gurianov with that?A $4M offer sheet would force their hand?

It would but it would also hurt whoever signs one of them to that and probably more.  I know Arpon Basu is on that train but neither of those players are worth that money let alone the compensation required to get them at that price point.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Stars have $6.66M remaining. Can they sign both Hintz and Gurianov with that?A $4M offer sheet would force their hand?

No state tax gives them a chance ... but could be worth a shot

***IF*** the Habs see this past season as truly indicative (always a risk) then go for it ... an offer of up top $4,363,095 is only 1 second round pick ... they were both 25-26 goals (normalized to 82 games) in the regular season but Denis Gurianov excelled in the playoffs (27g/82gm pace) while Hintz is had much less success scoring - although his playmaking was solid) ... so I would start with Gurianov ... if he signs the offer sheet and Dallas matches, then consider Hintz

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

TSN is saying Taylor Hall to Buffalo???   I did not see that coming. 

just saw it on Cap Friendly $8M for 1 year

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

TSN is saying Taylor Hall to Buffalo???   I did not see that coming. 

Sportsnet too ... 1 yr @ $8M

IMO that makes it clear it wasn't about WINNING, as athletes almost always claim ... betting it was the biggest 1 year offer ... I give him credit for betting oin himself

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Sportsnet too ... 1 yr @ $8M

IMO that makes it clear it wasn't about WINNING, as athletes almost always claim ... betting it was the biggest 1 year offer ... I give him credit for betting oin himself

No doubt it had to be the biggest 1 year offer.  A free agent does not take less money to sign with the Sabres.  It should make Eichel a little happier. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No doubt it had to be the biggest 1 year offer.  A free agent does not take less money to sign with the Sabres.  It should make Eichel a little happier. 

And they have lots of cap space to extend him for 8 yrs come January (or whatever January 2021 becomes for CBA purposes) ... but we all now that side deals are NEVER part of how the NHL operates.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Dhaliwal usually is limited to Vancouver scoops but he is a legitimate reporter.

Let the rumour mill begin ... even of an extension seems impossible, unless MB can make a trade for a legit top 6 for top 6 deal there is no way he should trade BG.

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It is a really difficult thing to figure out a reasonable contract right now.

I'm not sure that I would want 7-8 years for Gallagher but surely that is what he wants. I think 4 years at 6 million is what I want.

Four more years seems about right, that would take him to age 33, the same as Toffoli and Anderson. I have a hard time envisioning a 36-37yo Gallagher still playing at close to the current level.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Four more years seems about right, that would take him to age 33, the same as Toffoli and Anderson. I have a hard time envisioning a 36-37yo Gallagher still playing at close to the current level.

I agree that seems like the right term ... but for the same reasons that fans/Habs may want to limit term (i.e., uncertainty about how his size/style-of-play will impact performance as the years go on) BG will be looking for it ... I expect he will be a classic example of term seriously impacting asking price ... for example purposes only (i.e., no predictions of the actual numbers), if BG was willing to take 8@$4.5M he might want $6.25 for 4 years

51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree that seems like the right term ... but for the same reasons that fans/Habs may want to limit term (i.e., uncertainty about how his size/style-of-play will impact performance as the years go on) BG will be looking for it ... I expect he will be a classic example of term seriously impacting asking price ... for example purposes only (i.e., no predictions of the actual numbers), if BG was willing to take 8@$4.5M he might want $6.25 for 4 years

If they don't work anything out this fall, Gallagher will risk a comparison with Toffoli, who signed at 4x $4.25M. No one knows yet what their relative performances will be, though.

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think Gallagher is probably looking with an annual salary starting with a seven - most likely around $7.5m. I’m also betting he is looking for Max term.  I really would not give him anymore than 5 years at the most (depending on salary), but would prefer 4 years.

if we are looking at 2 yr flat cap with uncertainty on the future number (I can’t see players wanting an increase if there is significant escrow after 2 years), I don’t know if we can afford him.

As much as I like him, this might  be the time to move him.  I don’t mind letting Danault and Tatar walk next summer, but I sure the heck would not want I lose all 3 for nothing - especially Gallagher who can bring a premium return, not fir his play and his current cap hit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

If they don't work anything out this fall, Gallagher will risk a comparison with Toffoli, who signed at 4x $4.25M. No one knows yet what their relative performances will be, though.

Gallagher will point to Skinner.

Bergevin said in an interview he wants to make Gallagher the highest paid forward on the habs.  I was assuming it would be in the $6.5-$7mil range.  It wouldn’t surprise me that term in the issue.  Gallagher definitely wants 8 years, I just don’t see his type of player being worth 8 years at $6.5mil for the last 4 years of that deal.  When he drops off, it’ll be fast.

54 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Much pointing will be done, no doubt. But if he goes the UFA route, there is no guarantee as to what you will get, as some players found out this time around.

Everyone loves Gallagher and we all want him to be signed but would anyone here be good with an 8 year contract? At 7.5 million no less?

I love him but if he thinks he is worth almost what Pietrangelo got then he is crazy. Based on the contracts that we have seen over the last week then Gallagher has no hope of getting anywhere near that even on the open market.

Either money or term needs to be drastically reduced or we should trade him

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He can point all he wants, that's not a good comparison. Skinner has four equal/better years the Gallagher in points, and three in goals. He was coming off a 40 goal season and the market was totally different. There's a big difference in money between a 30 goal scorer and a 40 goal scorer.