Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

How much space does Edmonton have? Puljujarvi and Bouchard? Or Puljujarvi and Broberg?

CapFriendly shows they have $732,509 ... but there is time to make more moves to get under the cap ... but not certain habs want to risk Puljujärvi being a legit Top 6/9 forward to replace their top goal scorer each of the last 3 seasons ... but, might be worth it to get a higher-end RHD prospect in the system with Weber now 35 

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

CapFriendly shows they have $732,509 ... but there is time to make more moves to get under the cap ... but not certain habs want to risk Puljujärvi being a legit Top 6/9 forward to replace their top goal scorer each of the last 3 seasons ... but, might be worth it to get a higher-end RHD prospect in the system with Weber now 35 

Is try and get not a high end D prospect and Puljujarvi. Would like another young winger in addition to Caufield, who’s a few years away.

56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They will have Klefbom on LTIR.  He is unlikely to play at all next season. 

6 hours ago, John B said:

As far as roster players that would fit under the cap (which the Habs are already over by a little less than 500K) goes, I don't see much that Vancouver would likely be willing to part with.  Podkolzin is probably the only prospect that I would be remotely interested in, but I would want Bergevin to try and replace Gallagher on the roster. 

I would hate to see us lose Gally, however, if it reached that point, I would want Podkolzin and picks.  From there, Hoffman would be a target if he is still available.  

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

They will have Klefbom on LTIR.  He is unlikely to play at all next season. 

Hadn't see that ... surgery for a chronic shoulder problem ... only possible issue, as with everything that isn't a "retirement injury",  you have to hope he doesn't recover more quickly than expected if you've spent his money elsewhere.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hadn't see that ... surgery for a chronic shoulder problem ... only possible issue, as with everything that isn't a "retirement injury",  you have to hope he doesn't recover more quickly than expected if you've spent his money elsewhere.

A Serious shoulder surgery is usually 8 months plus.

Some lesser stuff can be quicker but if its the biggie, its a season killer.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a rumour.  They say sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make - this defiantly isn't one of them!!

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/what-if-cam-neely-had-been-dealt-to-montreal-instead-of-boston

I had heard about the Roy for Nolan/Fiset deal that Savard was working on, but didn't hear about the McPhee for Neely!!!!  Mcphee played an important role and scored some important goals in the 86 cup win and 89 run, but damn!!!

On 10/30/2020 at 10:54 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Not really a rumour.  They say sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make - this defiantly isn't one of them!!

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/what-if-cam-neely-had-been-dealt-to-montreal-instead-of-boston

I had heard about the Roy for Nolan/Fiset deal that Savard was working on, but didn't hear about the McPhee for Neely!!!!  Mcphee played an important role and scored some important goals in the 86 cup win and 89 run, but damn!!!

Interesting. Neely's prime was before my time, but I remember my Dad always talking about how good he was and what a Habs killer he was. I had no idea he started out with anyone other than the Bruins, let alone that he was thought of as a bust.

It's definitely interesting to think about. I do remember my Dad liking McPhee and he definitely played an important role in some good teams. I remember having the idea he was kind of a glue guy. But Cam Neely... Wow. Of course, who's to say he would have found the spark in Montreal that he found in Boston.

Also interesting that he was looking to trade Roy before he was fired. Seems like that might have been the last straw and not just the 0-4 start that year. 

Also, wow, did anyone proofread that article? Wow, SI has fallen far!

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Interesting. Neely's prime was before my time, but I remember my Dad always talking about how good he was and what a Habs killer he was. I had no idea he started out with anyone other than the Bruins, let alone that he was thought of as a bust.

It's definitely interesting to think about. I do remember my Dad liking McPhee and he definitely played an important role in some good teams. I remember having the idea he was kind of a glue guy. But Cam Neely... Wow. Of course, who's to say he would have found the spark in Montreal that he found in Boston.

Also interesting that he was looking to trade Roy before he was fired. Seems like that might have been the last straw and not just the 0-4 start that year. 

Also, wow, did anyone proofread that article? Wow, SI has fallen far!

The Roy for Nolan rumours were rampant back than.  But when the discussions first started the Avs were the Nords and back town it was reported that Savard was afraid of trading Roy to the Nords and that he wanted the Nords goalie prospect Thibault instead did Fiset and the Nords wanted to trade Fiset.

As for McPhee, he scored some big goals (fastest OT in the finals in 86’), but was more of a defensive forward. 

Neely was not just a. Habs killer, but always seemed to have scored the big goal on Roy.  Who knows maybe he would have remained a bust in Montreal. But it’s one of those moves that you really regret not making.

Skrudland scored the fastest ot.

I remember the Skrudland goal well. McPhee was a big performer for the Habs, loved his toughness and he did score some big goals in the playoffs, especially against the Nordiques.

I watched a replay of that cup final and I couldn't believe the clutching and grabbing that went on without any penalties. It's such a different game now. I mean Nick Fotiu played a semi regular shift in that series, he was awful,  a guy that bad wouldn't get a sniff in the playoffs now. 

Skrudland scored the fastest ot.

Oh yeah. Got them mixed up.  They were a good line during that run.

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I remember the Skrudland goal well. McPhee was a big performer for the Habs, loved his toughness and he did score some big goals in the playoffs, especially against the Nordiques.

I watched a replay of that cup final and I couldn't believe the clutching and grabbing that went on without any penalties. It's such a different game now. I mean Nick Fotiu played a semi regular shift in that series, he was awful,  a guy that bad wouldn't get a sniff in the playoffs now. 

It’s not just the clutching and grabbing. Goaltending was awful on a lot of teams.  There is a reason why there were so many 50 goal scorers and 100 points men in a season in the 80’s. Goaltending on a lot of teams was crap.  Sure the trap and more defensive structure reduced goals per game and points totals, but you don’t see as many goalies giving up long shots anymore.  Goaltending and goalie equipment changed big time.  Take a look at Roy as a rookie with his pads and shoulder pads and compare it to his years with the Avs.

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s not just the clutching and grabbing. Goaltending was awful on a lot of teams.  There is a reason why there were so many 50 goal scorers and 100 points men in a season in the 80’s. Goaltending on a lot of teams was crap.

NHL expansion in 70s and adding 4 teams in 79 might of had impact on quality of play?

• 1 month later...

Toffoli is light years better than Old Man Kovalchuk. Trust me on this.

Cam Neely: Vancouver fans still go on about the One That Got Away. In fact Neely has become like a strand in the DNA of the fan base. Every time they have a forward with size, they are terrified of losing him in case he “becomes the new Cam Neely.” They’ve said this about Jake Vrtanen FFS. 

Neely was an absolute scoring machine and a daunting physical presence. He and Andy Moog were primarily responsible for shattering the Habs’ 40-year playoff winning streak against the Bruins; and if the Habs had happened to meet those guys during the 1993 playoffs, we likely would not have won that Cup. They owned us, with Neely owning Roy like Matthews owns Price and Moog being intractably lodged in the Habs’ heads. God, I hated those guys.

Mike McPhee: definitely a checker, one of those prototypical bruising third-liners that the Lemaire/Perron/Burns era was so good at producing. The Habs in that era lacked elite offensive talent but were relentless grinding behemoths to play against - much as I expect the 2021 iteration of the team to be. The interesting thing about McPhee is that he would score huge goals (game-tying, GWG, etc.) on a fairly regular basis. He also had an all-time moustache.

Brian Skrudland was a solid role-player, a chippy headache to play against, but I always felt he was below the bar talent-wise. He seemed to occupy an outsized role given his limitations.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

On the Dreger/Ferraro podcast, Dreger indicated that the Habs are interested in Travis Hamonic if he is willing to take a 1 year, 750K type of deal similar to Frolik and Perry. 

Hockey30  (ever so slightly less reliable than Dreger/Ferraro)  reported that MB had spoken with Vatanen ... in either case it would be interesting to see how MB handles the surplus on D

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

On the Dreger/Ferraro podcast, Dreger indicated that the Habs are interested in Travis Hamonic if he is willing to take a 1 year, 750K type of deal similar to Frolik and Perry. 

The Habs don't really have room for him but at that price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Just now, dlbalr said:

The Habs don't really have room for him but at that price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

It would be an "all-in" move for certain ... expect it would mean Kulak gets traded (possible IMO) ... they might try to "taxisquad" him (trademark pending as a verb) but I fear he would be lost on waivers

• 2 weeks later...

From Corey Pronman's ranking (in the Athletic) of top under-23 players/prospects:

17. Pierre-Luc Dubois, C, Columbus
June 24, 1998 | 6-foot-3 | 207 pounds
Previous ranking: No. 18
Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Average
Hockey Sense: Average
Compete: Above-average

25. Nick Suzuki, C, Montreal
Aug. 10, 1999 | 5-foot-11 | 183 pounds
Previous ranking: No. 27
Skating: Below-average
Puck Skills: Above-average