Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really think if we offered any other two prospects with Drouin and Danault that MAY get things done,

I completely disagree with you on this one. No way does a package including Drouin and Danault (and any two other prospects in the farm system) get the deal done. Columbus will ask for Suzuki or K.K. for sure.

We'll just have to agree to disagree! ;)

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Plus I thought KK looked great against Toronto, looked stronger and more confident. I know because Dubois is French and really good that MB is tempted but I would hate to see him give up too much. 

That was probably one of the drivers for the Drouin trade -  and that really worked out great.

12 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Is this trade really a possibility or are is everyone reaching here?

I think it's reaching really.  Nick Kypreos reported Dubois' first choice would be to goto Montreal and the ask from Columbus is Suzuki plus undisclosed extras.  Brain has it posted on the previous page.

11 hours ago, Habsfan said:

KK, Caufield and Byron?? Would that do it?   If not, i'd be willing to throw in a 2nd rounder as well...maybe even a 1st rounder.

In terms of cap space, we would be sending about 4.2 million in salary to Columbus and we'd be taking on PLD's 5 million$

Wouldn't work cap-wise for the Habs - they'd be over and would only have 11 forwards on the roster.

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but the Suzuki rumour makes sense. If I’m CBJ I insist on him as the return: a likely #1C in return for an already-established #1C. No way would I take KK, who is not self-evident #1C material.

And yet something about PLD makes me a bit nervous. I know, I know, he was a PPG player in the playoffs. I know, he had a 27-goal, 61-point season as a 20-year-old (!!). I know, he’s francophone and has great size. He literally *is* the big, talented C the franchise has been looking for since about 1995. And yet also regressed last season and has only cracked 50 points once in three years; and now he wants out of the organization that drafted him. I understand that Torts is a jackass and all. Still, to my mind, it raises questions. I’m not saying “don’t make the trade,” but these factors trouble me a bit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

. And yet also regressed last season and has only cracked 50 points once in three years;

on 57pt pace last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DON said:

on 57pt pace last year.

True, true...

I’m not saying don’t do it. Maybe my reluctance is really just my being emotionally invested in Suzuki. Rationally, you probably do have to flip Suze+ in return for a big, young, legit #1C who just happens to be francophone.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

True, true...

I’m not saying don’t do it. Maybe my reluctance is really just my being emotionally invested in Suzuki. Rationally, you probably do have to flip Suze+ in return for a big, young, legit #1C who just happens to be francophone.

Pipe dream for sure...but we saw Sergachev for a French player..so who knows how much where Dubois is from and what he would mean to province would play into Bergevin's thoughts.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Pipe dream for sure...but we saw Sergachev for a French player..so who knows how much where Dubois is from and what he would mean to province would play into Bergevin's thoughts.

That's what scares me, because Dubois is French there is always the possibility that Bergevin would over pay. And I am sure Columbus realizes that. I am also emotionally attached to Suzuki and KK and would hate to give either one up as I think they both have great potential, Suzuki looks more and more like a sure thing  but I certainly realize Dubois won't come cheap nor should he. He is only 22.

5 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I say we walk away and stay out of this nonsense. Wait till he becomes a free agent down the road whenever that is and pick him up for free. 

He's UFA-eligible in 2024 but that's only if he doesn't sign a long-term deal between now and then.  While I get the idea, that's a long wait to risk. 

5 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I say we walk away and stay out of this nonsense. Wait till he becomes a free agent down the road whenever that is and pick him up for free. 

Sure, just like we did with Lecavalier. 🤔

If you want the kid, it’s now or never.

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's what scares me, because Dubois is French there is always the possibility that Bergevin would over pay. And I am sure Columbus realizes that. I am also emotionally attached to Suzuki and KK and would hate to give either one up as I think they both have great potential, Suzuki looks more and more like a sure thing  but I certainly realize Dubois won't come cheap nor should he. He is only 22.

Well, what *is* an overpay? Suzuki, to me, is the minimum that CBJ should ask for in return. There would probably need to be additional assets involved. Suze + a 1st? What is the “plus?” And at what point does it become an overpay?

I would not trade Suzuki.  Not with what we saw as the season went on last year, and in the playoffs.  He'd be untouchable to me.  I think the ceiling is very, very high with Suzuki and arguably higher than Dubois.

I would give KK.

The rumour I've heard is KK and Mete + cap stuff so likely Byron and I don't know, maybe adding Jordan Weal would make it work cap wise.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The rumour I've heard is KK and Mete + cap stuff so likely Byron and I don't know, maybe adding Jordan Weal would make it work cap wise.

I thought of that as well but Weal only moves the needle by $325,000.  If they dipped to a minimum-sized game day roster, it might be enough but that's a big risk as they'd have to then rely on emergency cap-exempt recalls and those only come after you play a game down a player.

I don't care if Dubois is the mayor of Montreal, I'm not trading Suzuki for him. He is trending towards the best Habs forward prospect that I've ever seen. I do find it ironic that Dubois is the exact player that we've been needing for decades and now that a player like him is available, we don't really need him. I also think it is rare for a team to get fair value for a player who openly wants out of an organization, so I do believe there is a small chance we acquire him without it hurting too bad. 

Loving the belief in Suzuki on this thread. I have no idea whether his ceiling is higher than PLD's, myself.

The KK/Mete/+ idea is one I would jump on for sure. It's just that I'll be surprised if CBJ settles for that.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Loving the belief in Suzuki on this thread. I have no idea whether his ceiling is higher than PLD's, myself.

The KK/Mete/+ idea is one I would jump on for sure. It's just that I'll be surprised if CBJ settles for that.

What this fellow said.

But of course are several other GMs lining up some good pieces to offer.

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No one knows what the ceiling is, really. But it's quite possible that Suzuki will end up being better than Dubois. It's even possible that Kotkaniemi will match him (Don was salivating about a big centre that is a #3 overall pick ...). What Dubois is, is a lower risk than either of the two, in terms of development, as he's already 22.

But he is also more expensive, and has other risk factors, as you pointed out earlier.

Personally, I would rather sit out this particular sweepstakes, as what we have to do to the rest of the team might be worse than what we would gain with the arrival of Dubois.