Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I would say untouchable to me on this team as far as young talent goes are Suzuki, Romanov,  Guhle  Caufiled. I am ok with trading Kotkaniemi because we also have Poehling.  

A lot of people think they wouldn't want Danault or/and Tatar because they are both ufa's but what if the hold up is because they want to see if they can sign them before they trade for them?

Danault/Tatar 

Or

Kotkaniemi/Tatar 

Would be what I would offer if they say no oh well he can come here as a UFA then.

For the 1st time in  like 30 years we're not desperate for a center and it seems like they're available now. Go figure.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Totally agree, he mailed it in. Torts is honest, if you don't put out for the team he will bench you. He would lose respect of his players if he didn't bench a guy who is disinterested. These players are highly paid professionals and PLD is pouting. Unless MB can get him cheap (unlikely) then time to walk away. The Habs are playing well (except for too many penalties), it's not broke right now. 

We already overpaid for one pouting player.  I don’t want to do that again. We have two young centres, Suzuki is showing he is a complete player and needs time to show he can also produce at top line centre - IMO he is the best young player since Koivu. The other KK also has potential. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think a lot of people will be surprised by how well they're going to come out of this.

I agree. As long as multiple teams are interested,  Columbus’ return will be high. Unless MB can pull off a miracle,  I don’t think Montreal gets Dubois at a price most fans would be happy with. Also, Winnipeg makes sense since neither Liane nor Roslovic are playing for them right now so Quarantine is less of an issue for the Jets. 

9 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... Im very skeptical to move KK. I get Dubois is heavier and CLBS #1C but KK has yet to fully fill out and when he does at 22yrs old he'll be just as big. So Dubois for KK buys us 2 years of development and production (but at what cost?) ... I just think we are undervaluing KK...

The premise of a KK+ for PLD trade would be that in 2 yrs when KK hopefully has filled out and increased his production Price will be 35, Weber 37 (and only making $3 million in real salary ... so will he play?) and half the current roster will have gone through UFA/RFA so may or may not be here ... while at 22 PLD obviously has a future and even some remaining upside, acquiring him would be a move intended to improve the team THIS SEASON.

And, to be clear, not predicting he will end up a Hab.

I’m OK trading KK, but let’s not fool ourselves that Poehling has anything like KK’s ceiling. 

Anyway, I doubt the Habs are in the running. I like the Winnipeg rumours myself.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anyway, I doubt the Habs are in the running. I like the Winnipeg rumours myself.

But, he is exactly what Bergevin said couldnt be had by trade (and a local kid on top of that)...aside from possible attitude issue(s).

So am a bit nervous he might offer 'alot'.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Whew!

Feel better now.

It will be interesting to revisit this in 2-3 years and see whether we regret passing on Dubois. But for now, sure, I’m OK with all this. If CBJ was insisting on Suzuki then it would be folly to make that deal.

• Upvote 1

This feels like a trade we would have regretted had we made it. It’s just not the time to disrupt the chemistry. KK may never be Dubois, but we seem to have a team that clicks - let’s ride it out and see what happens. Momentum matters - and I’m not sure it should be messed with in a short season. 

• Like 2

Good return for Columbus. I would have been interested in entertaining a trade involving Danault going the other way, but he’s nothing compared to Laine, and the contract issues that have been mentioned were there as well. 

I would not have loved KK going the other way. He potentially has a higher ceiling.

2 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

This feels like a trade we would have regretted had we made it. It’s just not the time to disrupt the chemistry. KK may never be Dubois, but we seem to have a team that clicks - let’s ride it out and see what happens. Momentum matters - and I’m not sure it should be messed with in a short season. 

Not disagreeing, but to pass on acquiring Dubois because of a hot start seems like crazy logic to me.  

If

1. Dubious develops into a legit top-5 NHL C and Suzuki doesn’t; OR

2. CBJ was interested in KK, we refused, and KK then fails to become an impact C;

THEN we will live to rue the day.

If Dubious never becomes more than a 70-point C capable of dominating for some stretches, then we won’t rue anything, assuming that either Slick Nick or KK fulfill their potential.

All I know is that while I am not disappointed that we did not make a trade, both PLD and Laine are players I would have loved to see in a Habs jersey. Especially Laine. They are also players who were linked to our team so there is always going to be those “what if” thoughts, scenarios, and comparisons which will come up In conversation when it comes to those two players.

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Whew!

Feel better now.

Yup, that's exactly how I feel. I am sure MB checked the price for PLD and it was too high. It's always fun to speculate on trades but I am glad this one didn't happen.  Time to kick some butt tonight. 

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not disagreeing, but to pass on acquiring Dubois because of a hot start seems like crazy logic to me.  

If

1. Dubious develops into a legit top-5 NHL C and Suzuki doesn’t; OR

2. CBJ was interested in KK, we refused, and KK then fails to become an impact C;

THEN we will live to rue the day.

If Dubious never becomes more than a 70-point C capable of dominating for some stretches, then we won’t rue anything, assuming that either Slick Nick or KK fulfill their potential.

Doesn’t feel like it’s just a hot start tho to me - but I completely hear ya! Feels more like we are building on the bubble play by adding skilled scoring and continued development of the kids. I know it would be foolish to think there isn’t a slump on the horizon where we aren’t thinking Dubois would look good up the middle. 

One thing I had thought was with no one attending games at the bell centre it might be an ideal opportunity to bring in a French superstar. 

I think for me, tho I’d have pulled the trigger on a Dubois/KK one for one swap, to give up more seemed to not be worth the potential cap/roster headaches. 

I like the way the team seems to be constructed - the time to sit back and watch them play is now IMO. 

14 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Nonetheless, I'm more then satisfied we have Suzy

I think we can all agree on that. 

When are they gonna start calling him “Slick Nick,” anyways? Seems like the obvious move

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think jet's over paid. I don't see him wanting to stay long term with jets. And the jets just traded their best trade chip to get a top D for a center in which they don't need. 

It’s a good trade for the Jets. Dubois, whose dad coaches for the Manitoba Moose, will now get to experience being THE biggest star in town. There is even a francophone presence there. I wouldn’t be so quick to assume he won’t stick around.

Happy happy. :gohabsgo:

Looking at what CBJ got for Dubois, I am more convinced than ever that trading for him would not have made the Habs a stronger team. Not because he isn’t good but the impact on the rest of the team.

I'm a little sad to see that we didn't land PLD, but I'm afraid that the price would've been too high to acquire him! In any case, I like the team we have now.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Happy happy. :gohabsgo:

Looking at what CBJ got for Dubois, I am more convinced than ever that trading for him would not have made the Habs a stronger team. Not because he isn’t good but the impact on the rest of the team.

Yeah I think it would of cost us kk Tatar and maybe even Caufiled. So I am happy we past on it.