Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Wouldn't have guessed this.  Something to file away for the offseason, perhaps?

Me neither ... seems to fly in the face of bergevin's focus on character ... at the right price DeAngelo could be a very big "value signing", despite any values issues ... but I would hope Bergevin would require some very serious convincing by reliable sources before he even considered it.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Wouldn't have guessed this.  Something to file away for the offseason, perhaps?

As long as it's filed under "How to ruin team chemistry and alienate good faith from your fanbase"

More on DeAngelo from Friedman:

5. Tony DeAngelo’s rejection of Montreal’s offer indicates he believes there’s going to be something better for him this offseason. The Canadiens put together something comparable for this year and next to what he’d lose if he terminated his contract. (Remember, the Rangers can buy him out for one-third of next year’s salary.)

Interesting that it was a multi-year commitment they were willing to make.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-may-rental-bruins/

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

More on DeAngelo from Friedman:

Interesting that it was a multi-year commitment they were willing to make.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-may-rental-bruins/

Oof. How could anyone be willing to make a multi-year commitment after all the locker rooms he's been run out of, including being shunned by a team on the hook for nearly 10 million?

29 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Oof. How could anyone be willing to make a multi-year commitment after all the locker rooms he's been run out of, including being shunned by a team on the hook for nearly 10 million?

Bergevin must have a strong belief in the power of our locker room and our illustrious captain to reform someone like DeAngelo. Although it would have been a strictly one strike and you are out deal like Kassian, I'm still happy he is not associated with the team and I fervently hope that they don't revisit this option in free agency. 

27 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Bergevin must have a strong belief in the power of our locker room and our illustrious captain to reform someone like DeAngelo. Although it would have been a strictly one strike and you are out deal like Kassian, I'm still happy he is not associated with the team and I fervently hope that they don't revisit this option in free agency. 

IF all this is true, although Dredger and Friedman are legit journalists (i.e., not Eklund or Hockey30), the I think it speaks to the urgency Bergevin feels to succeed this season.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IF all this is true, although Dredger and Friedman are legit journalists (i.e., not Eklund or Hockey30), the I think it speaks to the urgency Bergevin feels to succeed this season.

Assuming it's true then I also think it shows that MB is thinking outside the box and looking at all possibilities.  Reminds me of the time he brought Radulov over,  nobody else was willing to take a chance but he was, worked out for a year. 

• 2 months later...

This can’t be legit can it???   would be a Milbury type of stupid trade

12 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

No way do they move Toffoli for Schmidt.

Maybe Drouin, but I still think they’ll look to upgrade the top 6.

Drouin for Schmidt is interesting, actually. The trouble is that Schmidt's cap hit is ridiculous ($6 mil) - more ridiculous than Drouin's. In hockey terms, I'd make the trade in a second, and a desperate Van just might be intrigued enough by Drouin's upside to be willing to swing for the fence.

If Toffoli was injured in the playoffs as reported; then the last thing the Habs should do is ship out on of their few finishers. 

He isn’t the guy I’d move for the needed Dman. 

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Drouin for Schmidt is interesting, actually. The trouble is that Schmidt's cap hit is ridiculous ($6 mil) - more ridiculous than Drouin's. In hockey terms, I'd make the trade in a second, and a desperate Van just might be intrigued enough by Drouin's upside to be willing to swing for the fence.

Yeah. To me given his salary cap hit, even for Drouin, Schmidt seems like a big risk. A friend of mine had forwarded the link to me.

Sadly, Gallagher’s new salary makes him the one overpaid now. He looked like a great 3rd line player this season. If that’s the case, he’s the one to move. Toffoli, Anderson, KK, Suzuki, Caufield are 5 of the top 6 moving forward and none should be moved.  Danault, Gallagher, Lehkonen/Armia being 3rd line. Unless the 4th line is on real cheap salaries, I’m worry Gally is the expendable one. 

Looking at that proposal again, its not a serious one. 

What it essentially does is undo Benning's two big moves over the last two years.  It seems more like a joke than an actual proposal. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Looking at that proposal again, its not a serious one. 

What it essentially does is undo Benning's two big moves over the last two years.  It seems more like a joke than an actual proposal. 

Yeah, my reaction when I got the text was that there is now way that could be legit. I recalled Schmidt being mentioned before in a post here, so thought I’d see if there here was more to it.

2 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Sadly, Gallagher’s new salary makes him the one overpaid now. He looked like a great 3rd line player this season. 

3rd liner on a 32.8g pace season.

40 minutes ago, DON said:

3rd liner on a 32.8g pace season.

Stats are fun. That was his pace this season if you don’t include the playoffs where he scored 2 goals in 22 games (after 14 in 35 for the regular season before being injured).  yet in his career he has only been over 30 twice. Twice. Ever. 

Hey tho - I don’t want to be on the side of dogging Gally - I love his drive and energy - he is the heart and soul. 

but numbers are what they are. He is currently the highest paid forward on the Habs next season and if he doesn’t produce, whether that is because of injury, production decline or assigned checking role, he will he overpaid and be more at risk to being a cap casualty. 

Gallagher’s contract takes into account how he was underpaid before

MB said he wanted to make him the best paid forward and he did 

so, yeah, of course the numbers are what they are 

Back off from Gally

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gallagher’s contract takes into account how he was underpaid before

MB said he wanted to make him the best paid forward and he did 

so, yeah, of course the numbers are what they are 

Back off from Gally

Yeah don’t pay someone for last performance, in a cap system.  You pay them what you you are projecting from them going forward. Gallagher always has and always will play with heart. But the guy has broken or fractured his hands in what - 3 years running, and as a result was unable to produce in the playoffs. If we can move him, we need to move him, while there is value. 

hiw many players are we going to say the numbers are what they are?  Gallagher; Price, Weber, Petry, all on long term And dollars. I don’t see Gallagher or Weber being able to earn up to their salaries for even half of the remaining years of their contracts. They will also make it difficulty to resign oitbup and coming players.

In the last 4 seasons.

Gallagher has scored 30 goals twice

He had 22 in 59 games, a season shut down by COVID.  If he plays 82 games, thats on pace for 30 goals again.

He had 14 in 35 this year... again on pace for 30 over 82 games

Yeah he scored a slower rate in the playoffs, but was given the task of shutting down the opponents best players, something that they did an outstanding job of. 

All while being the absolute heart and soul of the team.

He's not worth his contract? Another person claims he's not a top 6 forward? Please. Let's stop being ridiculous with these comments, and assess the actual player.  

He's been at 30 goal pace for each of the last 4 seasons, and Covid shortened seasons/injuries are the only reason he didn't get there the last two.

And thats just the goal numbers.  If you want to get into the analytics he's been part of one of the best 5v5 lines in the NHL during that time always playing well defensively against the best lines in the NHL. 

• Upvote 2