Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Drouin and Weber on litr and come back strong for playoffs would also be great

It could be a huge lift ... but not knowing what Drouin's "injury" is, it seemingly is not being physical ... thus, the likelihood of his missing the entire season but returning seems unlikely.

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It could be a huge lift ... but not knowing what Drouin's "injury" is, it seemingly is not being physical ... thus, the likelihood of his missing the entire season but returning seems unlikely.

You can rule out the 'seemingly not being' part.  It's definitively not a physical issue.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

You can rule out the 'seemingly not being' part.  It's definitively not a physical issue.

nobody knows, he could have cancer or a brain tumor (hope he doesn't) no one is talking and that is how Drouin and the Habs want to handle this

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... I’m thinking we lose Kulak unless we end up exposing Allen 

Allen will be exposed ... they can only protect one goalie and that will be Price ... question is whether MB can convince Francis to select someone else.

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

IMO Seattle would be crazy to take Drouin - unless there was some kind of interview beforehand. 

Huge risk to take Drouin blind. 

I’m thinking we lose Kulak unless we end up exposing Allen 

Allen must be exposed, you can only protect one goalie and due to a NMC we have to protect Price.  There has not even been discussion of Price waiving outside of message boards. 

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

nobody knows, he could have cancer or a brain tumor (hope he doesn't) no one is talking and that is how Drouin and the Habs want to handle this

Look at the rare public comments from the Habs or coaches since the announcement.  They're not what you say for a physical injury.

I'll also note that from asking around a bit, it sounds like a good chunk of the local media seems to have a pretty good idea of what's up and are simply honouring Drouin's wishes (and rightfully so).  It's not a physical thing.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'll also note that from asking around a bit, it sounds like a good chunk of the local media seems to have a pretty good idea of what's up and are simply honouring Drouin's wishes (and rightfully so).  

Sidenote, this is a bit refreshing to hear in this day and age, aside from what regarding obviously.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Look at the rare public comments from the Habs or coaches since the announcement.  They're not what you say for a physical injury.

I'll also note that from asking around a bit, it sounds like a good chunk of the local media seems to have a pretty good idea of what's up and are simply honouring Drouin's wishes (and rightfully so).  It's not a physical thing.

if that is the case, that is good to hear and a reason to be optimistic that he can be LTIR'ed and can comeback in the future to the Habs

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Allen must be exposed, you can only protect one goalie and due to a NMC we have to protect Price.  There has not even been discussion of Price waiving outside of message boards. 

Thanks for the clarification. I thought we simply had to expose a goalie. 

I guess the option exists to pay Seattle to take Drouin. I wonder what that would cost?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

IMO Seattle would be crazy to take Drouin - unless there was some kind of interview beforehand. 

Huge risk to take Drouin blind. 

I’m thinking we lose Kulak unless we end up exposing Allen 

If it’s a Montreal pressure issue, you’d think it’s already been communicated to Seattle as a means of getting out of Montreal 

46 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If it’s a Montreal pressure issue, you’d think it’s already been communicated to Seattle as a means of getting out of Montreal 

Absolutely possible. 

Could be many things though that would not be viewed the same as wanting to escape the Montreal fish bowl. 

I know this would be an ideal situation for us but if you are Seattle (they probably know the real truth about Drouin) why would you risk it? Again, unless there was an interview where things were discussed. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I know this would be an ideal situation for us but if you are Seattle (they probably know the real truth about Drouin) why would you risk it? Again, unless there was an interview where things were discussed. 

They would do a risk assessment -- what is the likelihood that the problems have been resolved? That it won't recur in Seattle? And what's Drouin's potential in Seattle. Weigh all in the balance and then determine whether he's a good option.

You can bet that the Kraken management team has already been doing a massive amount on the players likely to be available in the expansion draft.

Why would Seattle want Drouin?

His upside is higher than any other player the Habs will leave exposed.

He’d be a top 6 forward for them. There will be plenty bottom 6 and bottom 3 dmen to choose from. 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, Commandant said:

In the last 4 seasons.

Gallagher has scored 30 goals twice

He had 22 in 59 games, a season shut down by COVID.  If he plays 82 games, thats on pace for 30 goals again.

He had 14 in 35 this year... again on pace for 30 over 82 games

Yeah he scored a slower rate in the playoffs, but was given the task of shutting down the opponents best players, something that they did an outstanding job of. 

All while being the absolute heart and soul of the team.

He's not worth his contract? Another person claims he's not a top 6 forward? Please. Let's stop being ridiculous with these comments, and assess the actual player.  

He's been at 30 goal pace for each of the last 4 seasons, and Covid shortened seasons/injuries are the only reason he didn't get there the last two.

And thats just the goal numbers.  If you want to get into the analytics he's been part of one of the best 5v5 lines in the NHL during that time always playing well defensively against the best lines in the NHL. 

I’m not questioning Gallagher’s heart, or his defensive play in the playoffs, or that he is still producing on the same PPG/GPG rate for MOSat of the regular season.  The issue is that he is showing an increasing frequency in getting hurt and breaking down as the season progresses. He plays with the type of reckless abandon and no fear you have to admire but it is clearly taking a toll on his body. The number of injuries he’s had to his hands has been flukey, but it’s been almost every year for the past 3 or 4 years. 

I just don’t think he’s going to healthy enough to be productive for even half of the remaining term of his contract. 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, Commandant said:

People said the same on Markov.

If hes hurt, there is LTIR so im not too worried about it.

But LTIR really only is useful if a player is out for the full year ... if Gallagher gets hurt during the season he effectively blocks off $6.5M on the cap unless it is season-ending.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But LTIR really only is useful if a player is out for the full year ... if Gallagher gets hurt during the season he effectively blocks off $6.5M on the cap unless it is season-ending.

Gallagher has the hand issues, but thats pretty much about it.  The idea that he is gonna get more injuries because his style of play and size hasn't been born out in other similar size/style guys like Brad Marchand, Theo Fleury, Pat Verbeek, etc.... etc... over the years. 

In fact, its been the bigger, physical players who have seen more injuries than smaller ones.   They just put more stress on ligaments, tendons, joints etc... 

The concern for him has always been overblown IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Gallagher has the hand issues, but thats pretty much about it.  The idea that he is gonna get more injuries because his style of play and size hasn't been born out in other similar size/style guys like Brad Marchand, Theo Fleury, Pat Verbeek, etc.... etc... over the years. 

In fact, its been the bigger, physical players who have seen more injuries than smaller ones.   They just put more stress on ligaments, tendons, joints etc... 

My concern has generally been as much that wear&tear will reduce his effectiveness as about actual injury ... if he is unable to perform at a top 6 level, then his contract could become problematic ... although, arguing against my perspective, is that PJ Stock expressed similar concerns on TSN690 this afternoon  (not one of the commentators I generally respect ... too interested in "stirring the pot" for my taste).

Again, similar players didn't exactly fall off due to wear and tear. 

This again seems an issue that seems to effect bigger players more often.  The type of player I see fall off more than any other is the Big, physical, defensive defenceman who blocks a lot of shots, ala the Karl Alzner, Jay McKee, Darian Hatcher, Mike Komisarek, Chris Phillips, Anton Volchenkov, Josh Gorges, etc.... types that all quickly fell off a cliff in their early 30s. 

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He’s had the hand issues almost every year for the past 3 or 4 years, and during the last two playoffs he’s been ineffective offensively. Marchand may be the same size, but the refs don’t let him take even close to the amount of abuse Gallagher has to take.

One playoffs his jaw was broken on a dirty hit. 

But again, his entire line was not effective offensively in the playoffs, and that was mainly because of the role they were given... shut down the opponents top line. 

I kinda think if Gallagher was put with Suzuki or KK in the playoffs, his role would be different and his production would be there. 

if we are in full rebuild like i suggested in the other thread, sure trade him.  Trade Petry too. 

if we are still going for it, i have no problem keeping him.  not worried about him.

• Like 1

Hoffman signed for $4M so it's interesting to hear the Habs offered that much more.  I don't know how they could have fit him in at $4M let alone higher than that considering how close to the season it was when he signed.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Hoffman signed for $4M so it's interesting to hear the Habs offered that much more.  I don't know how they could have fit him in at $4M let alone higher than that considering how close to the season it was when he signed.

What was the timing on the offer?

5 million to Hoffman instead of 4.25 million to Toffoli would have made the cap tighter but still doable.  Probably would have meant another move somewhere else too, maybe a Lehkonen or Armia out and replaced with a cheaper option.  But yeah, it would have been doable. 

If it was both Hoffman and Toffoli, then he would have needed to move Tatar at that point.