Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Gallagher has the hand issues, but thats pretty much about it.  The idea that he is gonna get more injuries because his style of play and size hasn't been born out in other similar size/style guys like Brad Marchand, Theo Fleury, Pat Verbeek, etc.... etc... over the years. 

In fact, its been the bigger, physical players who have seen more injuries than smaller ones.   They just put more stress on ligaments, tendons, joints etc... 

The concern for him has always been overblown IMO. 

I couldn't agree more... the guy has been hurt by snapshots the fingers only LOL

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s had the hand issues almost every year for the past 3 or 4 years, and during the last two playoffs he’s been ineffective offensively. Marchand may be the same size, but the refs don’t let him take even close to the amount of abuse Gallagher has to take.

Marchand is extremely talented more so then a pest... not sure Gallagher is that level offensively 

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Marchand is extremely talented more so then a pest... not sure Gallagher is that level offensively 

Oh, I agree. Just saying that one reason that Marchand also has more to give in the playoffs is that he doesn’t take nearly as much abuse as Gallagher. The refs actually call infractions against Marchand and never call as many dives against him as they should. On the other hand, i think there is a special unwritten rule that allows Gallagher to mugged at least 10 times, before a penalty is actually called.

12 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Rumour of Ristolianan in for Weber??? In a trade. I BELIEVE this is NOT the answer...

He would be relatively cheap. Our 30th overall pick this year? $5.4M but only for one year, so if Weber is back for 2022-23, we would avoid a cap crunch.

He's no Weber, for sure. And not a Hamilton, either. But playing tough minutes on a crappy team doesn't help his stats, either. He's not at the top of my list, but if the Habs' pro scouts think he still has some capability, I'm willing to suspend disbelief and wait to see the actual results.

I know the analytics aren't pretty for Ristolainen but I think a change of scenery to something resembling a winning environment would help the cause plus it's a contract year.  I'm not as down on the idea of him as some are as a result.  It doesn't sound like he's at the top of their wish list though; he'd be more of an option if other things don't materialize. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dvorak would be an excellent trade option.

Agreed ... four more seasons @ $4.45M ... 8 team no-trade only kicks in after 2022-23 season ... upped his goal scoring this season (25g/82gm) ... wonder what they would want ... expect they might ask for KK ... not certain I would consider that ... 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Need another D... savard is not enough 

Savard is likely third-pairing material, right? What are our youth options for next season? Is Brook the only (young) D in Laval that might see some NHL action?

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Savard is likely third-pairing material, right? What are our youth options for next season? Is Brook the only (young) D in Laval that might see some NHL action?

Brook probably needs another season in Laval, but yes he is the top Habs AHL d-man prospect.

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Brook probably needs another season in Laval, but yes he is the top Habs AHL d-man prospect.

Right. With Mete and Fleury gone (and Leskinen gone to the KHL), all of a sudden we have a bit of a development gap on D.

Unless Norlinder really wows us at training camp. But, even though I hold out hope for his future, I'm not expecting him to break into the Habs lineup this year.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What scares me is paying Savard 1st or 2nd pairing money (like Alzner), when he should only be considered a bottom bottom pairing option (given our current D).

if we can get him cheap, as a bottom pairing guy, who can step up into 2nd pairing sure. But we still need a Hamilton type addition.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What scares me is paying Savard 1st or 2nd pairing money (like Alzner), when he should only be considered a bottom bottom pairing option (given our current D).

if we can get him cheap, as a bottom pairing guy, who can step up into 2nd pairing sure. But we still need a Hamilton type addition.

The insane 9.5 given Jones is a bit of a dash of cold water regarding Hamilton, though. I am amazed Jones got that in a flat cap world. Do we want Hamilton on a long term deal at that price point?

I would say *probably* yes…I mean, we were carrying around a vastly worse contract in Weber’s 7.5 for the next five years. At least Hamilton would still likely be an effective player by the end of the contract. But between 9+ for him and Price’s 10.5 I’m not sure it’s realistic. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we go with a “platoon” on D…add two mid-range puck-moving D and then keep rotating the pairings, instead of having a true #1. 

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Nobody is giving Savard 1st pairing money. He's not that kind of player. But he will get 2nd pairing money. I expect him to get a similar contract to Larsson. Ideally you bring him in along with a more offensively talented defender like Barrie and have a 2nd pairing calibre player on the 3rd pairing.  But they can do worse than having Savard on the second pairing.

• Like 1

Im of the thinking we NEED to get Hamilton.... especially if we want to build off of our playoff success this past season and help the young kids grow...

Edmundson Petry

Chiarot Hamilton

Romanov Kulak

*Insert UFA here

Norlinder Brook

*Likely need to sign 2 defenders to make noise in the playoffs

Will Norlinder be given a chance to crack the line up???

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Will Norlinder be given a chance to crack the line up???

Sure, but same as Romanov, shouldnt expect him to be impact guy as a rookie, even if manages to grab a spot in October.