Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I just feel Buffalo is just trying to fill all their team needs off this one trade which is crazy if you ask me. I personally like Barkov better and since his a UFA next year wonder if Florida might move him. I don't think the price would be as high as Florida has less team needs than Buffalo does. 

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I just feel Buffalo is just trying to fill all their team needs off this one trade which is crazy if you ask me. I personally like Barkov better and since his a UFA next year wonder if Florida might move him. I don't think the price would be as high as Florida has less team needs than Buffalo does. 

Barkov would be incredible pickup too.  Has he ever publicly said that he wants out of Florida though?  If he hasnt I cant see Flor trading him, they'd resign him. 

What other C and dmen are UFA's next year?  Depending on that list it might make more sense or less to consider Eichel now. 

5 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Barkov would be incredible pickup too.  Has he ever publicly said that he wants out of Florida though?  If he hasnt I cant see Flor trading him, they'd resign him. 

What other C and dmen are UFA's next year?  Depending on that list it might make more sense or less to consider Eichel now. 

Suzuki would have to be one of the players going back in order for Florida to even listen. But I think putting together a trade for Barkov would be easier than one for Eichel. 

4 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Eichel would be an incredible pickup, but the cost it likely way too much to consider doing it.  It would be unimaginable for Buffalo to give away their top player for the Habs crappy guys with bad contracts like Drouin.  They will want serious return for their top player. 

Even if it was for all 4 of those guys - which I'm not suggesting the Habs should do, its that those 4 guys dont make enough money for that to work cap wise for the Habs.  Realistically, like already mentioned, the Habs would need to dump a bunch of salary to make it possible.  To bring in a 10mil guy the Habs would need to give up $10mil in salary.  Therefore, I cant see any deal happening without moving Gallagher because he is 1 of the Habs highest paid players.  ex:  Gally, KK, and Romy for Eichel, or even worse would be Gally, Suzuki and Caufield.

Suzuki and Caufield should be untouchables.

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Suzuki would have to be one of the players going back in order for Florida to even listen. But I think putting together a trade for Barkov would be easier than one for Eichel. 

There is absolutely zero reason from anything I’ve heard that Florida has any interest in moving Barkov, or that Barkov doesn’t want to resign. Buffalo on the other hand HAS to move Eichal at some point - most likely before the start of the season, so I don’t understand why you’d think it’s easier to get Barkov.

With Eichel’s agent releasing that statement it’s only a matter of time now before Eichel is dealt.. probably for less of a return than what they would have got a month ago.. 

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Buffalo on the other hand HAS to move Eichal at some point - most likely before the start of the season

I don't think there is any compelling reason why they have to trade Eichel, but I think at this point they want to, as long as their return is high enough.

Eichel's NMC kicks in a year from now so it might get more difficult to trade him at that point, as Eichel will be able to veto teams he doesn't want to go to. Although he might not do that if he really wants to get out of Buffalo ...

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think there is any compelling reason why they have to trade Eichel, but I think at this point they want to, as long as their return is high enough.

Eichel's NMC kicks in a year from now so it might get more difficult to trade him at that point, as Eichel will be able to veto teams he doesn't want to go to. Although he might not do that if he really wants to get out of Buffalo ...

I think, if they can’t agree on treatment, and nothing gets done before training camp he will just sit, and may not report to camp. Things are going to come to a head pretty quick. He can simply say, I’m not reporting until I’m moved.  Calgary got into that situation with Gilmour during an in season contract dispute and Gilmour went home, and than he got moved really quick, fir a real lousy return.  The GM can say what he want as part of his posturing, but I can’t see Eichal playing another game for the Sabres.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There is absolutely zero reason from anything I’ve heard that Florida has any interest in moving Barkov, or that Barkov doesn’t want to resign. Buffalo on the other hand HAS to move Eichal at some point - most likely before the start of the season, so I don’t understand why you’d think it’s easier to get Barkov.

A few years back their was and it all comes down to money. If Barkov is going to ask for more than what Florida is willing to pay, then they would be willing to trade him. Away I'm just saying I would much rather have him. I don't think we would get either. Only center I see Montreal getting is pretty much PLD.

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Suzuki and Caufield should be untouchables.

Yes, I totally agree and that exactly why I said I'm not suggesting they should.  Thats part of the problem, any team the Habs talk to regarding a top player that team will want some of the Habs top players in return.  Hence, any trade might not be worth doing.  ex:  think of the Drouin trade, that wasnt worth doing.

Suzuki and Caufield will be big stars eventually, but will they want the same $ that some of the top guys want, and as quickly?  Eichel is a great player but he is sorta over paid for his age and his career accomplishments so far.  ex:  its unknown if he produces in the playoffs or if he disappears.   I would have given him $8mil/yr x 10 yrs vs the $10mil/yr x 8 yrs.  

Eichel was great, but with his contract and back injury I'd stay far away from him because he might never be the same player again.  Back injuries that require an operation are never a good thing.   I'd recommend anybody with a disk issue to not have it operated on because that rarely works out well.   More often than not an operation makes the problem worse.  I know numerous people that have had disks operated on and they all regret doing it because it made it worse.

Also, Barkov currently isnt over paid but he will want a raise, and how much? 

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes, I totally agree and that exactly why I said I'm not suggesting they should.  Thats part of the problem, any team the Habs talk to regarding a top player that team will want some of the Habs top players in return.  Hence, any trade might not be worth doing.  ex:  think of the Drouin trade, that wasnt worth doing.

Suzuki and Caufield will be big stars eventually, but will they want the same $ that some of the top guys want, and as quickly?  Eichel is a great player but he is sorta over paid for his age and his career accomplishments so far.  ex:  its unknown if he produces in the playoffs or if he disappears.   I would have given him $8mil/yr x 10 yrs vs the $10mil/yr x 8 yrs.  

Eichel was great, but with his contract and back injury I'd stay far away from him because he might never be the same player again.  Back injuries that require an operation are never a good thing.   I'd recommend anybody with a disk issue to not have it operated on because that rarely works out well.   More often than not an operation makes the problem worse.  I know numerous people that have had disks operated on and they all regret doing it because it made it worse.

Also, Barkov currently isnt over paid but he will want a raise, and how much? 

Considering the panthers gave stupid money money to Bob the flakey goalie, don’t know why they wouldn’t back the Brinks truck for their best player.

as for Eichal, from what I’ve read, and from Freidman’s excellent podcast, it sounds like he has to get surgery. Also looks like chances should be pretty good for recovery.

they gave him too much money by basing it on the McDavid deal, and giving him a bit less, but 8 yrs is the maximum term. Realistically, you couldn’t have signed him for 8 yard for less than $8m, so I don’t think it was a huge overpay. Their problem is the other dumb contracts they have, dumb trades, dumb management amd ownership. I think they are still paying for screwing over Lafontaine.

Eichal isn’t the problem. Everyone wants out of Buffalo.

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just read the offer for Eichel was KK, Romanov, Drouin + a 1st in 2022.  I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it does seem like a realistic offer.

I would take a chance and make that trade. 

I'm not making that trade.  Romanov is too important. 

Eichel comes with a very large contract and more importantly with serious health questions.   You can see his medical records but you can't know what the outcome of his surgery will be.

If I were a GM, I would not even think about Eichel unless the Sabres allow him to have the surgery and you can see what he is like once he comes back from it. You risk the price going up with the issue cleared up, but you force Buffalo to take the risk of the surgery.

53 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

If I were a GM, I would not even think about Eichel unless the Sabres allow him to have the surgery and you can see what he is like once he comes back from it. You risk the price going up with the issue cleared up, but you force Buffalo to take the risk of the surgery.

I doubt the price will go up.  There’s a rift between Eichel and the Sabers.  If the Sabers draw this out into next season and get Eichel to play, there’s a good chance he won’t give it his all for a team he doesn’t want to play on.  That will in turn lower his value.  This makes it harder to trade him.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just read the offer for Eichel was KK, Romanov, Drouin + a 1st in 2022.  I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it does seem like a realistic offer.

That is a realistic offer but only for a healthy Eichel.  I would make that trade. 

Ya. Any trade for Eichel will include KK. The coach isn’t in love with Romanov so that makes sense. I’d be surprised if Drouin were in a deal and if he was, it’s for cap reasons so I’d think it would be more than just 1 1st. Maybe 2. 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is a realistic offer but only for a healthy Eichel.  I would make that trade. 

Realistic? You know that would be, one of Suzuki or Caufield.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Realistic? You know that would be, one of Suzuki or Caufield.

Including Suzuki or Caulfield would almost assuredly get the deal done however those are two pieces I am keeping. I would rather not do a deal if it meant giving up one of those two plus plus. Certainly their market value really shot up during the playoffs, for good reason. 

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I doubt the price will go up.  There’s a rift between Eichel and the Sabers.  If the Sabers draw this out into next season and get Eichel to play, there’s a good chance he won’t give it his all for a team he doesn’t want to play on.  That will in turn lower his value.  This makes it harder to trade him.

If the Sabres are forced to give in in the surgery because nobody wants to take the risk on trading for him before it, then Eichel would be a fool to to give 100% when he comes back. It's his only way out of Buffalo, because nobody is taking on that contract if he doesn't come back looking like a star player.

• 2 months later...

From Larry Brooks of the New York Post:

Whispered into our ears by a savvy individual with keen insight into the dynamics of the league (and that description eliminates scads of suspects, no?), we’ve been advised not to discount the possibility that Marc Bergevin, entering the final year of his contract as general manager in Montreal, just might wind up in Los Angeles next season working with Kings president Luc Robitaille. 

https://nypost.com/2021/10/16/jack-hughes-emerging-as-option-for-team-usa-at-olympics/?fbclid=IwAR07AGQuwCi4MYTQN9gl8tibljsXkqqaS3NVtFgsTaWImSWaxIXgcqKEBt8