Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

From Larry Brooks of the New York Post:

Whispered into our ears by a savvy individual with keen insight into the dynamics of the league (and that description eliminates scads of suspects, no?), we’ve been advised not to discount the possibility that Marc Bergevin, entering the final year of his contract as general manager in Montreal, just might wind up in Los Angeles next season working with Kings president Luc Robitaille. 

https://nypost.com/2021/10/16/jack-hughes-emerging-as-option-for-team-usa-at-olympics/?fbclid=IwAR07AGQuwCi4MYTQN9gl8tibljsXkqqaS3NVtFgsTaWImSWaxIXgcqKEBt8

Not a fan of, or impressed by, Brooks ... but 45 years after getting the NHL beat by default (he was sent to to cover a Rangers game nobody else wanted, and/or was available, to cover) he does have some good sources ... after the stress of the last decade it would not be inconceivable that sun&sand could be an attractive option for MB.

4 hours ago, Helmethead said:

MB has Beverly Hills written all over him..

He does have a certain Venice Beach quality

10. The next item of business for Ottawa is Erik Brannstrom. You can read the tea leaves, it will be tough for him to find a consistent spot. But the Senators do recognize his talent, and they will ask real value from teams calling about him.

From Friedman's 32 Thoughts ... mid-first round pick by Vegas ... seemingly the key part of the return in the Mark Stone trade ... 4th year in the NHL, all with Ottawa, but has not managed to become a regular position with the Senators ... perhaps in need of a change in scenery ... I defer to those more capable in analyzing players, and actual analytics, in asking if he could be a worthwhile could acquisition ... $1,313,333 AAV ...  if worth bidding for, what would be reasonable?

Perhaps a changed of scenery would help.  He had some real lofty expectations being apart of that trade.  If I remember correctly he was being pitched as the next Erik Karlsson.  That’s some big shoes to fill.

5 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Perhaps a changed of scenery would help.  

Not sure how many actually do respond well to a change? Always seems like it might work, but does it?

Like an Armia, is basically the same player he was in Winnipeg (isnt he?), with more or less icetime.

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure how many actually do respond well to a change? Always seems like it might work, but does it?

Like an Armia, is basically the same player he was in Winnipeg (isnt he?), with more or less icetime.

His expectation in Ottawa is the next Karlsson or he’s a bust.  That’s a lot of pressure to put on a kid.  I’m not saying Montreal is the city to curb those expectations, but maybe somewhere in Florida or Arizona might help the kid.

Unlikely to not have been claimed by the time the Habs have their chance (until the order is re-set on November 1st anyway) ... but likely worth a shot

22 hours ago, DON said:

Depends on how one defines "same". He score 0.58 goals/60 in the 'Peg, 0.68 in Montreal. But the Habs have utilized him much more effectively than the Jets ever did. And that's what the change of scenery argument is all about.

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Unlikely to not have been claimed by the time the Habs have their chance (until the order is re-set on November 1st anyway) ... but likely worth a shot

it didn't take long for Seattle to decide he was not worth keeping.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

it didn't take long for Seattle to decide he was not worth keeping.

Or decided that bigger minutes in Charlotte would better develop his game ... he was after-all an undrafted free agent when signed by TBL ... and Seattle has several experienced NHL centres on their roster ... 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Or decided that bigger minutes in Charlotte would better develop his game ... he was after-all an undrafted free agent when signed by TBL ... and Seattle has several experienced NHL centres on their roster ...

Charlotte ... but only if he were to clear waivers.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Charlotte ... but only if he were to clear waivers.

Obviously the risk anytime a player is on waivers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Journal de Quebec suggesting the Habs are looking at Joonas Korpisalo ... not a model of consistency but his worst Sv% season is the same as Montembeault's best

Well, they completely misinterpreted what was posted in the article that they're claiming is the source.  Here's the actual quote from The Athletic:

We poked around with three NHL front-office types. Arizona, Buffalo and Montreal were seen as the most likely destinations for Korpisalo, who has one year remaining on his contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

A handful executives think Montreal could be a landing spot for Korpisalo.  It doesn't say anything about them actually having interest or even that they're considering him, it's all hypothetical.

23 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Well, they completely misinterpreted what was posted in the article that they're claiming is the source.  Here's the actual quote from The Athletic:

A handful executives think Montreal could be a landing spot for Korpisalo.  It doesn't say anything about them actually having interest or even that they're considering him, it's all hypothetical.

good clarification.

I struggle to see the logic of Mtl being a possible destination, given Allen has another full season after this and obv Price’s contract isn’t just disappearing… 

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: The emergence of 20-year old defenseman Bowen Byram has made 23-year old defenseman Samual Girard expendable.

Is there any Hab that Sakic might want?

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post: The emergence of 20-year old defenseman Bowen Byram has made 23-year old defenseman Samual Girard expendable.

Is there any Hab that Sakic might want?

Byram makes $894,000/year, Girard makes 5M/year  for the next 6 years. I don't think it would take a huge offer to take that contract off their hands, would give Colorado a lot of cap room. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Byram makes $894,000/year, Girard makes 5M/year  for the next 6 years. I don't think it would take a huge offer to take that contract off their hands, would give Colorado a lot of cap room. 

Girard's deal is a below-market one so they're not giving that away for cheap.  It would absolutely take a big offer to get him.

ON radio was story today;

Serge Savard was cut but Sam Pollock in June, but head scout Scotty Bowman forgot to actually tell Savard, till Savard called Bowman about coming back to Montreal, as he lived 300miles away, so Bowman arranged some deal with Pollock for Savard to stick with team/farm team somehow and we know rest of story.

I hadnt heard that story before, true, i dunno?

On 11/9/2021 at 8:01 PM, DON said:

Serge Savard was cut but Sam Pollock in June, but head scout Scotty Bowman forgot to actually tell Savard, till Savard called Bowman about coming back to Montreal, as he lived 300miles away, so Bowman arranged some deal with Pollock for Savard to stick with team/farm team somehow and we know rest of story.

I’ve heard that too. I think I might have read it in Dryden’s book about Scotty Bowman. An impeccable source, needless to say. 

That’s a fine book, incidentally.It left me with two things: one, an indelible impression of what Montreal/NDG was like in the time of Bowman’s youth (where “middle class” meant something wildly different from today), and two, Bowman as a constantly adapting student of the game. You see coaches like Therrien who keep plodding along the same furrow, inflexibly, and you contrast them with Bowman, who is practically protean in his endless openness to new ideas and his awareness that what worked five years ago may not work today - and you see the difference between mediocrity and greatness.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:01 PM, DON said:

That story was true. It was in Dryden's book about Scotty Bowman.  Savard was supposed to be cut from  the team but it wasn't communicated to him so they kept him for a while. We do know the rest of the story. I think if they had cut him he was ready to sign with Detroit. The book was a great read.