Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Its not a zero sum game.  There may be other moves for price that don't involve Kane

Oh, I agree, just saying that Kane is an option, if we can’t find someone willing to retain most of Price’s salary - I can’t see too many other teams, unless we also took back a major contract, or retained salary.

Price also has to approve any trade, so it would be a question of priorities on who he’d accept a trade to - winners, west coast?  If Vancouver wasn’t such a cap strapped team, that still has to make sure they can lock up Peterson, they would probably be the most logical choice.

I really don’t see Price wanting to stay if he knows there is a major rebuild. I also think we’d probably have to retain more salary with most other teams.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

only Price knows if he will be happy here or not. He has had plenty of opportunities to ask to be traded.

I would have wanted Kane when he was in Winnipeg, when he posed in the photo in Vegas with the cash in his hands or now

not a fan

Umm, he did waive his NMC for the Seattle expansion draft, and there are rumour he hoped that he’d be picked up.

I don’t want Kane either. But if we can move Price’s contract, get assets for Price, and additional assets for Kane, I wouldn’t hesitate to make the move, ifwe’d only have to retain 50%, of 50% of Kane’s salary.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah and Seattle isn't exactly a winner, so it works both ways in terms of would price be happy in a rebuild.

I think that would have been more a family decision, and hoping they’d have the early success as Vegas. Frankly. I think Francis really fxcked up a lot of his picks, and the way he managed thr expansion draft.

Francis did screw up by not making more trades and not having a boat load of draft picks as a result.  Still they aren't a winner. 

Where are they ahead of the Habs right now?

They have Matt Beniers as a young player in the system.  Not much else. 

The Habs have Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov, Poehling, Evans, Norlinder, Harris, in their system.  All of whom are better than the second best young player in Seattle. 

Both teams stink and will pick high in 2022.  The habs have more picks in 2022. 

The teams both have a player on D (Giordano, Chiarot) to trade for even more picks. 

I'd rather be the Habs than Seattle right now. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Francis did screw up by not making more trades and not having a boat load of draft picks as a result.  Still they aren't a winner. 

Where are they ahead of the Habs right now?

They have Matt Beniers as a young player in the system.  Not much else. 

The Habs have Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Romanov, Poehling, Evans, Norlinder, Harris, in their system.  All of whom are better than the second best young player in Seattle. 

Both teams stink and will pick high in 2022.  The habs have more picks in 2022. 

The teams both have a player on D (Giordano, Chiarot) to trade for even more picks. 

I'd rather be the Habs than Seattle right now. 

Oh, I agree Seattle isn’t a good team - I think going into the draft, Francis could have picked up a lot of good players cheap, and could have kept or moved them for more assets at the deadline.

price didn’t know that prior to the draft. I also think the other motivation was being close to home.

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah and Seattle isn't exactly a winner, so it works both ways in terms of would price be happy in a rebuild.

But rebuilding an hour and a half from his in-laws where his family spends much of each summer might make it easier to tolerate.

1 hour ago, Dalhabs said:

Promising. As I suspected, the Gallagher aura is very strong, even though he is rather a shadow of himself.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Promising. As I suspected, the Gallagher aura is very strong, even though he is rather a shadow of himself.

I wouldn't get too excited.  There's no citation from anyone or anything credible in there - it reads as someone picking team names out of a hat.  Most of those teams don't make any sense even.

That site also has the Habs gearing up to go after Patrice Bergeron in free agency simply based on the report that they'd like to talk to his agent about the GM job.  

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't get too excited.  There's no citation from anyone or anything credible in there - it reads as someone picking team names out of a hat.  Most of those teams don't make any sense even.

I agree, there will always be some teams kicking tires, trying to see if they can get a great deal from a team they perceive to be desperate.  I don't expect any trades for a while because Gorton will take some time to get to know the players and the best deals (for sellers anyway) are made near the deadline. 

Hadnt considered Gallagher as a trade asset. Similar to Petry, just cant see him going anywhere this year, but could see other GMs liking what he brings (just also being very leary of injury record and new contract).

46 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, there will always be some teams kicking tires, trying to see if they can get a great deal from a team they perceive to be desperate.  I don't expect any trades for a while because Gorton will take some time to get to know the players and the best deals (for sellers anyway) are made near the deadline. 

I think the earliest a trade would be made if after the Olympic roster freeze, unless it’s an offer that blows their socks off.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Hadnt considered Gallagher as a trade asset. Similar to Petry, just cant see him going anywhere this year, but could see other GMs liking what he brings (just also being very leary of injury record and new contract).

I notice that there's a tendency in the forum to be skeptical about most vets as trade-bait. E.g., when someone proposed we pursue Boeser (assuming Van to be interested), Brian wisely noted that we already have a lot of RW; but surely some of those should be traded, per the rebuild? (Gally tops the list). When Petry's name is floated, we get the response that "don't we need a puck-mover on D?" When Gally is floated, we get the idea that he is somehow not tradeable or that we should keep him etc..

Listen guys, if we want to do a rebuild properly, we should trade declining veterans. Petry and Gally would be high on that list IMHO. I recognize that we can't trade ALL our vets. But we should trade some of them, and not just guys on expiring contracts like Chiarot. 

There seems to be a tendency to want to cling to this roster and tinker around the margins. I feel we should be going heavily in on picks and prospects, especially since our existing prospect pool is inadequate; and that means thinking big when it comes to trading vets at the deadline.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I notice that there's a tendency in the forum to be skeptical about most vets as trade-bait. E.g., when someone proposed we pursue Boeser (assuming Van to be interested), Brian wisely noted that we already have a lot of RW; but surely some of those should be traded, per the rebuild? (Gally tops the list). When Petry's name is floated, we get the response that "don't we need a puck-mover on D?" When Gally is floated, we get the idea that he is somehow not tradeable or that we should keep him etc..

Listen guys, if we want to do a rebuild properly, we should trade declining veterans. Petry and Gally would be high on that list IMHO. I recognize that we can't trade ALL our vets. But we should trade some of them, and not just guys on expiring contracts like Chiarot. 

There seems to be a tendency to want to cling to this roster and tinker around the margins. I feel we should be going heavily in on picks and prospects, especially since our existing prospect pool is inadequate; and that means thinking big when it comes to trading vets at the deadline.

I think most would agree with your points about trading vets and getting more picks and prospects.  However I think most here are realistic and realize that trading vets with term on their contract is a lot more complicated and harder to do. I have no problem trading Gallagher or Petry, I am just not optimistic that the right deal will come along before the deadline. I would love to be wrong on that. 

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly. Gorton, having done this before, will surely be considering which players will still be needed three (or however many) years from now when the rebuild begins to bear fruit. And that likely means that most 30+ (or maybe 28+) players will be made available for trading; which ones will actually be traded will depend on who is interested and what they are willing to pay.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

NO clinging here, just realistic.

I am all for scorched-earth strategy, but simply kinda doubt Molson/Gorton are.

Would love to see Petry-Price-Gallagher-Byron-Armia-Chiarot all packaged for future good stuff & picks; but we know they wont (cant realistically) gut it that badly; unless is bit by bit over next year or two.

Gorton has done it before.

Rick Nash was traded the day before the 2018 NHL trade deadline to the Bruins for a 2018 first-round pick, a 2019 seventh-round pick, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Spooner and prospect Ryan Lindgren. The following day, the Rangers traded captain Ryan McDonagh and J. T. Miller to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Vladislav Namestnikov, prospects Brett Howden and Libor Hajek, and multiple draft picks.

Byron might not have much value, and Price might be impossible to trade, but Petry, Gallagher, Chiarot, Armia, Hoffman, Anderson and Toffoli all have potential to bring a good return.

2 hours ago, DON said:

NO clinging here, just realistic.

I am all for scorched-earth strategy, but simply kinda doubt Molson/Gorton are.

Would love to see Petry-Price-Gallagher-Byron-Armia-Chiarot all packaged for future good stuff & picks; but we know they wont (cant realistically) gut it that badly; unless is bit by bit over next year or two.

That’s the dream team of players to deal!  Agreed 100, but also agree it is easier said than done. 
I’d add Toffolli to that list as well.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Gorton has done it before.

Byron might not have much value, and Price might be impossible to trade, but Petry, Gallagher, Chiarot, Armia, Hoffman, Anderson and Toffoli all have potential to bring a good return.

Id add kulak to the list.  Though Gorton with his analytics background may like him more than Bergy and re-sign him too.

1 minute ago, Dalhabs said:

Norlinder not going to SHL, going to AHL. Dman trade incoming promising Norlinder a spot?

As reported on another thread, the loan agreement allows the Habs to send him to Laval after December 1st rather than having to return him to Europe

9 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Norlinder not going to SHL, going to AHL. Dman trade incoming promising Norlinder a spot?

Are there any rumours about this in Sweden?

From what I have seen and read there are rumours about any promised spot and a trade coming in North America 

but. IMO, if he stays in Laval until the trade deadline it is very likely he will finish the year on the NHL roster

Habs will clear D contracts for picks