Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On 12/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, tomh009 said:

Gorton has done it before.

Byron might not have much value, and Price might be impossible to trade, but Petry, Gallagher, Chiarot, Armia, Hoffman, Anderson and Toffoli all have potential to bring a good return.

I don't think Price is impossible to trade. If we plan on rebuilding he has 4 years left after this year on his contract. So if we eat about 5.5mil of his contract it will come off the books right when our rebuild should be done. Price at 4.5mil a year would be more tradeable then Price at 10mil a year.  So for example 

To Edmonton 

Price at 4.5mil 

To Montreal 

Eating 5.5mil plus a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick for taking back that much of his contract.  And Koskinen.

But it all depends on Price wanting to leave and wave his NTC. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

I don't think Price is impossible to trade. If we plan on rebuilding he has 4 years left after this year on his contract. So if we eat about 5.5mil of his contract it will come off the books right when our rebuild should be done. Price at 4.5mil a year would be more tradeable then Price at 10mil a year.  So for example 

To Edmonton 

Price at 4.5mil 

To Montreal 

Eating 5.5mil plus a 1st round pick and 2nd round pick for taking back that much of his contract.  And Koskinen.

But it all depends on Price wanting to leave and wave his NTC. 

Slight adjustment on the $$$ ... most Habs can eat is 50% or $5.25 of the AAV

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

Something but point is he's tradeable. When he comes back this year it's should be to show case him to trade him at the draft or in the summer. 

Agree

So we trade Price but retain 50% of his salary, so $5.25 million?

We sign a middling goaltender for $5.25 million.  

Now we are paying $10.5 million for a middling goaltender...

Might as well keep Price!

Retaining that much salary is crazy - and makes no sense.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, titanfan said:

100% agree, retaining that much salary makes zero sense.  If you have to retain that much salary then you might as well keep Price. 

27 minutes ago, titanfan said:

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

100% agree, retaining that much salary makes zero sense.  If you have to retain that much salary then you might as well keep Price. 

For at least a couple of years the Habs don't need an average (in AAV terms) NHL goaltender ... a 50% retained trade frees up some cap space for the initial years of the rebuild, giving them "time and space" while they make moves to dispose of some other contracts ... the "yield" also plays a big part in the viability of a trade ... if the return is legit top half of the roster prospects/youngsters they displace older, more expensive players which also helps cap-wise ... it is a much more complex equation than suggested ... but it would obviously be better to retain less than 50%.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For at least a couple of years the Habs don't need an average (in AAV terms) NHL goaltender ... a 50% retained trade frees up some cap space for the initial years of the rebuild, giving them "time and space" while they make moves to dispose of some other contracts ... the "yield" also plays a big part in the viability of a trade ... if the return is legit top half of the roster prospects/youngsters they displace older, more expensive players which also helps cap-wise ... it is a much more complex equation than suggested ... but it would obviously be better to retain less than 50%.

I get what you are saying. If you are going eat 50% of his salary (5.25M) for 4 years than the return better be substantial because 4 years is a long time to pay for someone to play for someone else. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I get what you are saying. If you are going eat 50% of his salary (5.25M) for 4 years than the return better be substantial because 4 years is a long time to pay for someone to play for someone else. 

True ... but there is also that if Carey plays like PRICE he could set back the rebuild in draft positioning terms for a couple of those years ... it isn't an easy decision either way.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but there is also that if Carey plays like PRICE he could set back the rebuild in draft positioning terms for a couple of those years ... it isn't an easy decision either way.

In that case we'll make him the backup!

2 hours ago, titanfan said:

Yup any capable starter is going to cost at least 5 millon.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yup any capable starter is going to cost at least 5 millon.

Who wants a capable starter to begin a rebuild?

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I dont like my youngsters getting kicked in the teeth every night.  That creates the sabres.

Price also has 4 years left.  If it takes four years before we need a capable starting goalie... we have done something wrong.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont like my youngsters getting kicked in the teeth every night.  That creates the sabres.

True, if you stay down for too long you create a losing culture. Nothing wrong with a rebuild but you have to be careful how long it goes on. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Totally disagree.  And it is simple math.   The reason to trade Price is to 'free up' cap space.  If we retain $5.25 million we have retained ZERO cap space as we will have to ay another goaltender at least $5.25 million.

It is NET ZERO!

So unless you can find a Number one NHL netminder for under $5.25 million a year for the next 4 years you have saved ZERO.  Realistically, you'd need to find one under $3 million a season to make it even remotely worthwhile.  That or retain no more than $2 million of Price's salary. 

I understand that in a lot of people's minds we need to trade Price to save cap space.  I don't disagree.   But retaining major salary defeats the entire purpose.... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Sorry, but i would always want a capable goalie, no matter state of skaters. Not a high priced one nor would trade for a top notch one if in a rebuild obviously.

9 hours ago, titanfan said:

The bigger part of the proposed trade is getting the 2 picks.  Same AAV, plus 2 picks.  Part of me thinks it's smart trade, but also thinks $5.25m Price is worth more than a 1st and a 2nd. 

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The bigger part of the proposed trade is getting the 2 picks.  Same AAV, plus 2 picks.  Part of me thinks it's smart trade, but also thinks $5.25m Price is worth more than a 1st and a 2nd. 

True, you are not saving any salary cap space by taking on 1/2 his cap hit so you need an excellent return. You are basically trading cap space for picks. 

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

And retaining roughly $20M in salary is worth more than a first and a second based on prior trades. 

I suspect that Price will be, if not impossible to trade, then so difficult as to make it scarcely worthwhile.

Our focus should be on drafting/developing his successor, relying on Price + patchup G until he retires, and then hang his number from the rafters for an august 20-year career in the bleu, blanc, et rouge.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect that Price will be, if not impossible to trade, then so difficult as to make it scarcely worthwhile.

Our focus should be on drafting/developing his successor, relying on Price + patchup G until he retires, and then hang his number from the rafters for an august 20-year career in the bleu, blanc, et rouge.

The "problem" is that if Carey is PRICE then the last thing the Habs need is him in goal for the rest of this year and next season.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The "problem" is that if Carey is PRICE then the last thing the Habs need is him in goal for the rest of this year and next season.

He hasn’t had an elite regular season in years. Plus he is frequently injured. Relax.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He hasn’t had an elite regular season in years. Plus he is frequently injured. Relax.

When they are looking to win and depend on him to to do he has been bad 3 out of the last 4 seasons ... if management is looking to lose who knows what he might do.

To be serious for a minute ... it is impossible to know at this point how having resolved whatever specific issue he dealt with in the NHL Program will impact Price's play ... could be positive ... could be negative ... only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Per Friedman in the Marek/Freidman podcast, the Habs are very interested in adding multiple women to executive positions on the hockey side, though maybe not the GM role. 

That's great, although I hope it's not just a knee-jerk PR reaction to the Mailloux debacle.